Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Trashos

Arcane
My chemical pistol build is going to DC! How much chemical ammo should I bring with me? I have never noticed if there is any chemical ammo in DC.
(I expect the faceless to be neutral. They won't attack me, but they won't sell me anything either.)

Inb4 I have to use my pew-pew laser pistol for half of DC.

Zeem

Learned
My chemical pistol build is going to DC! How much chemical ammo should I bring with me? I have never noticed if there is any chemical ammo in DC.
(I expect the faceless to be neutral. They won't attack me, but they won't sell me anything either.)

Inb4 I have to use my pew-pew laser pistol for half of DC.
You can get a lot of corrosive acid from Labyrinth worms, so you could probably save some weight on acid ammo. Bring plenty of vials and bonding agent, though.

Trashos

Arcane
Right, I had forgotten about the corrosive acid. It is something.
So, I am in DC now. Very few vials and bonding agents at the warehouse. Some faceless have a couple of vials on them, but I am not fighting them. I have brought 600 vials of acid, 600 vials of fire, and 100 vials of cold. Hopefully I have overdone it.

Paythrough after playthrough I keep expanding my game to include challenges that I used to avoid. Last time I did one of the serpent bosses, this time I also did the Lurker Base. I entered the elevator to DC on lvl28, 20/64 towards lvl29. Let's see if I make it to 29 before facing Tchort. Probably not, but I am slowly getting there.

Trashos

Arcane
One of my methods that I am not happy with is my route to the gate mechanism in DC. The literal route. There are hatches in hollow earth, but then as I walk towards the gate mechanism I find no other shelter from the Eye of Tchort, and it is just stacking until I reach the room of the mechanism.

Last time I met 9 tchortlings outside the Gate. Maybe there will be less this time if I avoid some debuffs. Anybody has found any shelter from the Eye on that final route?

Tigranes

Arcane
I am fucking around with a Chem Pistol + Metathermics for maximum environmentalism, after seeing a similar build in the official forum. Versatility Dex/Will build. Depot A went smooth at Dom/Oddity, given the flexibility - cooked shot, energy pistol, Mk II/III grenades, incapacitate with gloves, Freeze. Without SI/Crit it's never going to be one of the true heavy hitters but it's pretty smooth so far.

One Q: does execute work with chem pistols? Is it worth it? I'd have to raise Guns from 35 to 70 given Versatility, and I could be using that SP to get Haste up and running.

Sheepherder

Augur
I am fucking around with a Chem Pistol + Metathermics for maximum environmentalism, after seeing a similar build in the official forum. Versatility Dex/Will build. Depot A went smooth at Dom/Oddity, given the flexibility - cooked shot, energy pistol, Mk II/III grenades, incapacitate with gloves, Freeze. Without SI/Crit it's never going to be one of the true heavy hitters but it's pretty smooth so far.

One Q: does execute work with chem pistols? Is it worth it? I'd have to raise Guns from 35 to 70 given Versatility, and I could be using that SP to get Haste up and running.
It works. In your case, it's quite decent, since you have MT and thus cryostasis which enables Execute. You can even execute Industrial bots that way!
I don't recall if the freeze from cryo pistols or gas grenades also enables it, but it should.

Trashos

Arcane

I always do one "adventure" in the Caves from the South. Ie, from the train at SGS you go South, past the rats into the caves. You meet pigs, then north you meet beatles, then west there are more rats, then north there are more pigs, again north there is a lurker camp (and blowable rocks that block a GMS entrance), then east there are hoppers, then north... it is Milton!
From Milton you go 2 screens south to do his quest.
You can also follow a different route starting form Oculus, but there will be death stalkers.

PS. These are the pigs I farm for their oddities. It takes several visits, though.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another question, multiple blades on metal armor means each blade gets a 30% chance to inflict bleed, so three blades means three thirty % chances to inflict bleed? Is it possible to do more than one stack per attack?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How do tribal attacks work? Are they triggered by expansion progress or just random? Is there any consequence to ignoring the attacks?

One of my methods that I am not happy with is my route to the gate mechanism in DC. The literal route. There are hatches in hollow earth, but then as I walk towards the gate mechanism I find no other shelter from the Eye of Tchort, and it is just stacking until I reach the room of the mechanism.

Last time I met 9 tchortlings outside the Gate. Maybe there will be less this time if I avoid some debuffs. Anybody has found any shelter from the Eye on that final route?
No shelters once you reach Mutagen Tanks, but if you're fast enough you can still make it without seeing a single tchortling. Start from Eidein's elevator in the Tchortist outpost since it's a saferoom, and then run as fast as you can through the blocked tunnel to the north (unblock it beforehand, obviously) to the gate. You don't have time to explore or loot anything so you can't do the mutagen puzzle, but it's just possible to get to the room where you repair the gate before you max out creeping dread. And it's a saferoom too so you can reset there and then run to Tchort no problem.
Might need some move speed buff equipment like infused cave hopper and striders, and you might need to abuse manually entering combat mode for more free movement, but it's possible. As long as you don't get bad luck on the creeping dread rolls, since they're slightly random.
How do tribal attacks work? Are they triggered by expansion progress or just random? Is there any consequence to ignoring the attacks?
They're on a timer. It only ticks while you're above ground in the Black Sea so you always get a chance to defend though. If you ignore them then they auto resolve based on how many Aegis guys are left/their equipment levels/whether you activated the optional defences. Some Aegis guys will probably die but that doesn't mean anything unless they run out. If they do run out the natives win and kill the entire camp, so avoid that.
I think Briggs might get mad and potentially fire you if you refuse to ever help defend, but I might be wrong. There are a bunch of ways you can make him happier/angrier, so you'd probably need to stack a bunch in the angry direction for that. Never tried myself so I can't be sure.

Tigranes

Arcane

It works. In your case, it's quite decent, since you have MT and thus cryostasis which enables Execute. You can even execute Industrial bots that way!
I don't recall if the freeze from cryo pistols or gas grenades also enables it, but it should.

I played around with this, and of course the basic question I didn't consider here is - chem pistoleros don't really do big damage with the actual shot. It's not like a crit hammerer build where the bullet itself is doing hundreds of damage. So it's easy enough to trigger execute by freezing or aciding etc, but then the execute payoff seems very nonsignificant when it's only scaling off your, say, 30 base damage acid pistol?

I wonder if the solution here is to carry a hammerer in the off hand (though that means now juggling like 5 weapons). Or am I missing something even more basic? Fenix I'll try it with Rat King soon, but I assume the key is not so much damage but the ability to chain acid pool on him?

Tigranes

Arcane
...well, turns out the Rat King was trivial (lv13). Once the first Cooked Shot (Acid) hit him in the doorway, it was over. Mk IV frags, combined fire/acid chem DOT, health sapped away before I ever needed to get close to him. Execute Test shall have to wait another day.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Thanks to the kind advice of fellow codexers, I made some adjustments to my build and am back to playing! Had quite a bit of fun exploring the new waterways.

Question, is there a known place for high quality TiChrome Serrated Blades? I want one for my boots, but haven't found an answer to this online. I also couldn't find an answer as for what the quality of the blade improves on the boot, I'd guess the bleed proc is a static 30% and it just adds more damage to unarmed attacks.

Trashos

Arcane
Tigranes, are you using the cryoliquid pistol at all? I am guessing that you will not be using it now that you have Cryostasis, but have you ever found any legit use for it?

The freeze effect is nice, but at 50% probability it may take half a turn to freeze someone. I also found the DC labyrinth worms that have zero resistance to cold, while they are immune to acid and resistant to heat. They can be killed by fire, but I guess cold is an option if one can be bothered to carry the cryoliquid pistol in DC. Still, that's just one enemy.

I don't know, the cryoliquid pistol does not look competitive to me. Unless I am missing something. It should probably go full cryostasis to be competitive.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
cryo for human mook killing and crowd control (definitely the most useful chem gun), fire for critters and fear (easiest to make ammo for, yugest delayed damage multiplier), acid for everything and robits and to goo the floor

full spec mad chemist is king, adv. cat. belt is a cheat item

Trashos

Arcane
I used it at SI clean up, where it was importnt to delay big bugs.

Hmm.... azuridae are very flammable. Isn't it simpler to just bombard them with fire?
I haven't tried cryo on them tbh, maybe I should. Goliaths take a while to burn.

cryo for human mook killing and crowd control (definitely the most useful chem gun), fire for critters and fear (easiest to make ammo for, yugest delayed damage multiplier)r

Humans fear fire too. I may have a blindspot, but I do not see the cryo advantage there. Setting them on fire + rooting them in place with acid looks like the simplest tactic.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
the problem with acid is that it kills and if it doesn't, you need to break los to get out of the way of ranged reprisals, the problem with fire is that like every 3rd dude is immune

cryo is 2 turns of freeze aka no need to break line of sight, zeros enemy evasion for max grenade damage, chills, so it procs opportunist without having to freeze, freeze chance goes up above 60s, highest raw damage, nobody resists it but bots - it's made for juggling groups without them ever getting a shot off

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom