Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WotC: "seven or eight" D&D video games are coming over the next few years

Bara

Arcane
Well one things been confirmed with hasbros new devisions their getting a new logo. I'd take any of the TSR logos and this new one just hightens that feeling.

wotc-jpeg.133322

5c3273be-77ed-4ec0-b93e-9b3a16cb889d-jpeg.133325

I can't say it's awful, but it certainly gives off an ominous foreboding. Has more in common with some Netflix scifi show title screen than table top gaming. I agree that the last TSR logo was more appropriate, and much less contrived.
0f9b119c6ea165ea47a961efa86ef1fa.png

Last edited:

Sacibengala

Prophet
Well one things been confirmed with hasbros new devisions their getting a new logo. I'd take any of the TSR logos and this new one just hightens that feeling.

wotc-jpeg.133322

This is the "Games in Flash" logo of ttrpg sphere.

Gargaune

Magister

wotc-jpeg.133322

Their older logo was nicer, more unassuming. Then again, it was still too complicated, all logos should look like this:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
A logo will not save Wizards from its own creative bankruptcy.

And after a glance at Hidden Path's history, can confirm hiring them feels like a Hardsuit Labs-style move for Wizards.

Edit: Just checked out HP's lead writer social media (Strix) and she seems to be the Hidden Path equivalent of Hardsuit's Samantha Wallbanger without the Andromeda baggage... but with the usual, cawing social Seattle agendas. Shame. Shame. Shame.

Null Null

Arbiter
I didn't know anyone remembered goatse anymore.

The next one will be Pool of Radiance 3: when you try to uninstall it, your whole network will get wiped.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
WotC's new logo is clearly a change from one that looks good in print to one that looks good when animated. That's a pretty good indication of where the company is headed. :decline:

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Question is though, is a sample from Roll20 a statistically representative sample of the broader community? Particularly when games are marketed on their website also correlate to those at the top of that list....
Anecdotal evidence, but I know a lot of people who play tabletop RPGs in my city and elsewhere. I have no doubt that 5e is the most popular, and I'd absolutely believe it's more popular than everything else combined...

I sincerely doubt the graph is truly representative.

Yeah, the thing about Roll20 is that they don't have all rulesets available, integrated into their tool. They have 5E and Pathfinder and Call of Cthulu and Zweihänder and that's kind of it. For everything else, people are using Roll20 just as a battle map tool - that's it. An online system for moving tokens around and maybe storing journal notes. The biggest takeaway is probably that Pathfinder is so far below 5E - since both have built-in Roll20 rules, it kind of speaks to the fact that D&D is ~10x as popular as Pathfinder. It might not be an accurate / representative map, esp. compared with Fantasy Grounds that has a lot more rules systems built-in to it - but I don't doubt that it's directionally giving us the right info. D&D 5E is dominating and Hasbro is probably trying to cash in by selling a metric ton of video games with the D&D label slapped on it. Whether they'll be good or not...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For some reason WotC applied trademark of Gold Box. https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=90619160&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Possibilities:
1) Simply securing the mark. Since they're actively using it by selling actual "Gold Box" games on GOG.
2) They want to make remastered versions of Gold Box games.
3) They want to license/publish new games in the brand of Gold Box games, aiming for more classic-oriented gameplay?

Bara

Arcane
For some reason WotC applied trademark of Gold Box. https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=90619160&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Possibilities:
1) Simply securing the mark. Since they're actively using it by selling actual "Gold Box" games on GOG.
2) They want to make remastered versions of Gold Box games.
3) They want to license/publish new games in the brand of Gold Box games, aiming for more classic-oriented gameplay?

Uh how'd you hear about this? I mostly ask because the application filling date is April 1st and wonder if this is some ones April fools joke that no one heard about till now.

Could be a weird coincidence I get that but I'm always suspicious about anything on that date.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well I might post this here too:

Actually Chris Cocks (WotC head) hinted about this game in June. "In one game you might run a thieves guild and traverse the Thieves Highway of Waterdeep"

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...re-core-to-the-future-of-dungeons-and-dragons

Relevant part, also teasing another unannounced game like a RPG/strategy hybrid set in Krynn:

Beyond that, expect us to continue to push the envelope on AAA role-playing, exciting co-op themes and even role-play/strategy hybrids

In one game you might run a thieves guild and traverse the Thieves Highway of Waterdeep, in another you might marshal dragon hosts in the war-torn world of Krynn. In still another, you might explore the very origins of the D&D universe in real-time combat. The brand's richness is an enabler of tons of amazing game experiences so rather than a challenge, we see it as an amazing opportunity.

(If Paradox was not its publisher I would have suspected if Digimancy is working on that Krynn game.)

I wonder if he's referring Greyhawk by "the very origins of the D&D universe". (Blackmoor unlikely.)

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
In still another, you might explore the very origins of the D&D universe in real-time combat

I take it that this is the AAA open-world D&D RPG Hidden Path Entertainment is working on

deuxhero

Arcane
In still another, you might explore the very origins of the D&D universe in real-time combat

I take it that this is the AAA open-world D&D RPG Hidden Path Entertainment is working on

What the fuck does "origins of the D&D universe" even mean? Temple of the Frog as a hack and slash? It can't be Toril's ancient history because the ancient history of that has no real humans (only ape men) and no active gods that look human. Something set during Eberron's Last War would be a good setting but that's a reach for origins of the universe and D&D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom