Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of the year contender 2021

Codex Year of the Donut
Who even cares? After a visual novel winning 2019, Codex GOTY became as worthless as any of the 10000 journo GOTY awards.

Wait until we put Disco Elysium on the top of the next edition of RPG Codex 100 best RPGs ever!

The butthurt shall break the Internet.
DE is easily in the top 10 if you ask me.
Gary Gygax said:
"storytelling" games are not RPGs, but that is not to say that they are not games, nor to claim they lack high entertainment value--fun! My complaint has been that these games hould not claim to be RPGs

Parabalus

Arcane
Who even cares? After a visual novel winning 2019, Codex GOTY became as worthless as any of the 10000 journo GOTY awards.

Wait until we put Disco Elysium on the top of the next edition of RPG Codex 100 best RPGs ever!

Gary Gygax said:
"storytelling" games are not RPGs, but that is not to say that they are not games, nor to claim they lack high entertainment value--fun! My complaint has been that these games hould not claim to be RPGs

DE has builds and min-maxing, meaning more RPG gameplay than many other top 100 games.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Gary Gygax said:

Gary Gygax said:
I have to say Disco Elysium sure was the best cRPG I ever played. Changed my whole outlook on "storytelling" games said the ghost of Gary Gygax during an interview conducted via an Ouija board

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whatever game ultimately wins the Codex GOTY will be controversial (as always).

There'll be accusations of vote rigging by every party that feels their preferred choice lost out. Then again, if the poll is shared on twitter and ResetEra like last time, the results will definitely be watered down.

Codex Year of the Donut
Whatever game ultimately wins the Codex GOTY will be controversial (as always).

There'll be accusations of vote rigging by every party that feels their preferred choice lost out. Then again, if the poll is shared on twitter and ResetEra like last time, the results will definitely be watered down.
It's not vote rigging you racist, it's expanding the electorate.

Shaki

Arbiter

Gary Gygax said:

DE has builds and min-maxing, meaning more RPG gameplay than many other top 100 games.

Lmao, minmaxing for what? There are no challenges in this game, there is only one ending, your "decisions" and "gameplay" matter as much as choosing 1. Yes 2. No (yes) 3. Maybe (yes) in FO4, at best you'll change the text you see a little, but ultimately will get the same outcome, you can get through the game just by clicking shit randomly, lol.

It's a visual novel, I have no problems with liking visual novels, but why are people so obsessed with trying to call it an RPG, when it has nothing in common with the genre?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
there is only one ending, your "decisions" and "gameplay" matter as much as choosing 1. Yes 2. No (yes) 3. Maybe (yes) in FO4, at best you'll change the text you see a little, but ultimately will get the same outcome, you can get through the game just by clicking shit randomly, lol.
Wait a minute... are you shitting on Disco Elysium or Baldur's Gate now?

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Gary Gygax said:

Lmao, minmaxing for what? There are no challenges in this game, there is only one ending, your "decisions" and "gameplay" matter as much as choosing 1. Yes 2. No (yes) 3. Maybe (yes) in FO4, at best you'll change the text you see a little, but ultimately will get the same outcome, you can get through the game just by clicking shit randomly, lol.

It's a visual novel, I have no problems with liking visual novels, but why are people so obsessed with trying to call it an RPG, when it has nothing in common with the genre?
Even visual novels have multiple endings, including failed endings.

Shaki

Arbiter
there is only one ending, your "decisions" and "gameplay" matter as much as choosing 1. Yes 2. No (yes) 3. Maybe (yes) in FO4, at best you'll change the text you see a little, but ultimately will get the same outcome, you can get through the game just by clicking shit randomly, lol.

As hard as it is to believe, last time I checked people were still being filtered by combat in BG, and couldn't just randomly click through it.

If you removed combat, 90% of locations non important to the main plot, and just left a story with fake choices to click through, then it would be a visual novel just like DE, yes.

Parabalus

Arcane

As hard as it is to believe, last time I checked people were still being filtered by combat in BG, and couldn't just randomly click through it.

If you removed combat, 90% of locations non important to the main plot, and just left a story with fake choices to click through, then it would be a visual novel just like DE, yes.

DE has lots of endings though, even a special one for failures.

You can also just randomly click through BG, especially if you're clicking wands. Heck, you don't need to be able to read to win the game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I vote for Baldur's Gate 2 as the game of the year because if it is to vote on Owlcat shit, I prefer to vote on the original version that is better and have no furries.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I vote for Baldur's Gate 2 as the game of the year because if it is to vote on Owlcat shit, I prefer to vote on the original version that is better and have no furries.

the only thing you need now is a time machine to make your vote count

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

I wish I had one so I could travel to 2070 when a new cRPG that isnt just a ripoff of an old one is released.

just put your brain into cryofreeze, I'm sure they can revive it in the future

DeepOcean

Arcane

I wish I had one so I could travel to 2070 when a new cRPG that isnt just a ripoff of an old one is released.

just put your brain into cryofreeze, I'm sure they can revive it in the future
Nah, sorry, I'm not sure on what body they will place my brain into, by that time most normies would have transitioned into trannies to save lives accordingly to mandates from the CDC.

And DeepOceana doesnt sound like good tranny name to me.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Wildermyth is cool, also. But yeah, pathfinder wins easily/by a large marge this year.

It's the most inclusive RPG from the list so it wins automatically.
Unless the player intentionally changes something, every character in Wildermyth is cisnormative and heterosexual, and they are also mostly representative of the setting in appearance. That's less inclusive than most, if not all, other CRPGs released in Current Year. :M

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Disco Elysium as an RPG, totally makes sense. In fact, this is one of my favourite RPGs; you play the role of a frog!

(and I have to add, there's more gameplay in it than in DE)

Last edited:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
The collective butthurt that Disco created on Codex, that is somehow still going 2 years later, will never stop being funny to me.
It makes me want to play Disco Elysium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom