Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, Bleaching and the fact that gnomes are inhabitants of the First World who mistook tourism for emigration. I like this bit very much.

Erebus

Arcane
After much hesitation and with greatly lowered expectations, I decided to give the game another chance. I probably shouldn't have : I just reached the end of Act 2 again and it's just as unenjoyable as it was the previous time.

The siege of Drezen really epitomizes the main problems I have with WotR.

First of all, the fights are way too numerous. Their number could easily be cut in half. I avoided many of the optional fights this time and, nevertheless, combat ended up feeling like a nauseating chore (especially once you've recovered the real banner).

Second of all, they're poorly designed. I'm not sure how Owlcat got the idea that having enemies constantly appear from nowhere was a good idea, but it's really, really not. Yeah, I know, it's because they can fly or teleport or turn invisible or maybe they can hide up the PC's ass, but I don't care, it's just annoying. Once or twice would have been fine, but no more than that. And there are other problems with encounter design, such as the fact that enemies are repetitive and that you often find yourself fighting in narrow spaces where you can't properly maneuver your party.

Third of all, as I've mentioned before, Owlcat tried way too hard to make their game cinematic. Fighting four waves of enemies while a bunch of soldiers are trying to break down a door is too much (in fact, I don't like successive waves of enemies in the first place, unless they're very rare). Having a million projectiles constantly flying around and often wounding your party members is annoying. Facing a freaking balor only to see him suddenly run away because a random dward stabbed him with a knife is pointless. Having to pause in the middle of a fight because Minagho's having a spat with her dwarven boytoy is ridiculous. And so on.

And it's really a pity, because you can tell that a lot of effort went into this siege. And if it were reworked (rather extensively), then it could be very good. But as it is, it's just not fun.

Add to that the fact that I still don't like the story or the atmosphere, and that the mass battles are somehow even more boring than Deadfire's infamous naval fights, and I'm not feeling really optimistic right now.

Is there anything to look forward to in Act 3 or is it more of the same ?

jungl

Augur
After much hesitation and with greatly lowered expectations, I decided to give the game another chance. I probably shouldn't have : I just reached the end of Act 2 again and it's just as unenjoyable as it was the previous time.

The siege of Drezen really epitomizes the main problems I have with WotR.

First of all, the fights are way too numerous. Their number could easily be cut in half. I avoided many of the optional fights this time and, nevertheless, combat ended up feeling like a nauseating chore (especially once you've recovered the real banner).

Second of all, they're poorly designed. I'm not sure how Owlcat got the idea that having enemies constantly appear from nowhere was a good idea, but it's really, really not. Yeah, I know, it's because they can fly or teleport or turn invisible or maybe they can hide up the PC's ass, but I don't care, it's just annoying. Once or twice would have been fine, but no more than that. And there are other problems with encounter design, such as the fact that enemies are repetitive and that you often find yourself fighting in narrow spaces where you can't properly maneuver your party.

Third of all, as I've mentioned before, Owlcat tried way too hard to make their game cinematic. Fighting four waves of enemies while a bunch of soldiers are trying to break down a door is too much (in fact, I don't like successive waves of enemies in the first place, unless they're very rare). Having a million projectiles constantly flying around and often wounding your party members is annoying. Facing a freaking balor only to see him suddenly run away because a random dward stabbed him with a knife is pointless. Having to pause in the middle of a fight because Minagho's having a spat with her dwarven boytoy is ridiculous. And so on.

And it's really a pity, because you can tell that a lot of effort went into this siege. And if it were reworked (rather extensively), then it could be very good. But as it is, it's just not fun.

Add to that the fact that I still don't like the story or the atmosphere, and that the mass battles are somehow even more boring than Deadfire's infamous naval fights, and I'm not feeling really optimistic right now.

Is there anything to look forward to in Act 3 or is it more of the same ?

They tried to copy dragon age 2 but did a lousy job. In dragon age 2 it was really cool blowing up enemies into chunks and having new ones appear while your injured making you teleport to a safe distance and continue invoking spells. Dragon age 2 has the game engine to make the game look cinematic owlfat has unity.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm just curious if the writing is tolerable, and/or relentless woke shit.
At best as retarded as old Bioware, at worst as retarded as new Bioware but with three times the word count also three times as horny as well. Dont come to this game for writing or if you have deep alergy to woke cringe or furries, yes, it is true, the woke moments arent that common and get lost on the verbiage but the writing quality drops to fanfiction.net levels when they show up. Honestly, most of the time it is as mediocre and boring as Kangmaker that left in me an urge to press skip most of the time because the whole verbiage is a waste of time with no value added, but there are moments that make Amber Scott look like a good writer and any non sunk cost fallacy ruskie fanboy be ashamed.

It is an epics actions game to take as seriously as He-man. If you assume you are playing a new cartoon from the Cartoon Network and go full autist larping mode and just wanna see if He-man can defeat Skeletor between the 11 epicz dimensiuns, it is playable but late areas are unfinished and the minigames an even bigger waste of time than they were on Kangmaker, you might have a decent time killing shit though, it is fair to say I died a few time on some fights(still the blight of trash mobs are present here) and it is rare to play a cRPG where power gaming is rewarded and playing with the Pathfinder system is a decent diversion.

There were a few improvements, the interface is much better than Kangmaker, the character creation pretty much makes kangmaker character creation outdated and they added a ton of classes and classkits. The Mythic classes implementations are hit or miss, some are decently written but cliche like the angel, some are LoLs like Azata, they come fully online a little late right around the time when the game is losing steam but they add powerful bonuses, as I said, you are He-Man or Tranny-man (seems the way Owlcat would prefer) saving the universe.

I wont buy it for personal reasons but if you truly insist I recommend you to wait for the bugs to be fixed, I didnt get terrible issues besides performance drops on some situations but people had problems with a few broken dialogues on some quests, performance issues, problems with endings triggering incorrectly and some abilities seem to be busted and not working properly, buy at a discount the full version with the DLCs.

You know, same advice for all kickstarter games actually.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
The more I play this game, the more I’m realizing my inner storyfaginess.

wow, never thought this would happen

I'm going for Legend, however, you are sent into a questline in which you have to fight a bunch of "shadows" of your own self, except they have the most absurd AC I've seen so far. In the last encounter, back in the Grey Garrison I have to bunch 3 of them, and one of them spam Disintegrate and the like. In a full attack, I may hit them once if I'm lucky, and they immediately heal that much. The only one who can reliably kill them is, off course, Ember. But before I can kill the last one half of my party is out. WTF is with those? They don't seem to have any obvious vulnerability.

Vatnik Wumao

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Third of all, as I've mentioned before, Owlcat tried way too hard to make their game cinematic. Fighting four waves of enemies while a bunch of soldiers are trying to break down a door is too much (in fact, I don't like successive waves of enemies in the first place, unless they're very rare). Having a million projectiles constantly flying around and often wounding your party members is annoying.

You know what is the coolest thing about Drezen siege?

If you listen to an only competent person in your counsil, you start in position where you could skip all door bashing sequences.
And will get more xp for doing this.
And this probably solves the problem with being constantly shot at...

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
The amount of boring meaningles exposition dialogue in this game is mind-boggling, Im in the abyss right now and Im giving up on finishing this game. Story is bland and the wiring for the most part is boring and goes on for way too long and when its not boring it's trash.

After this game, Pillars of Boredome and Planescape Numa Numa I think voiced dialogue is the best thing that happened to Rpgs. It forces writers to say more with less instead of constant walls of boring text. I played this game for 40h and cant remember any good conversation it's just constant barrage of bland boring shit. Meanwhile there are plenty of memorable conversations in Gothic 1 & 2, Bitcher trilogy, Fallout 3 Cowboy edition or even Mass deffect trilogy. Come to think of it Fallout 1 and 2 had way less walls of text than this trash fire and had memorable conversations so I guess the writers at Owlfag are just RETARTED.

GAYME written by Chris Avellone

:shitandpiss:

Sunri

Liturgist
Third of all, as I've mentioned before, Owlcat tried way too hard to make their game cinematic. Fighting four waves of enemies while a bunch of soldiers are trying to break down a door is too much (in fact, I don't like successive waves of enemies in the first place, unless they're very rare). Having a million projectiles constantly flying around and often wounding your party members is annoying.

You know what is the coolest thing about Drezen siege?

If you listen to an only competent person in your counsil, you start in position where you could skip all door bashing sequences.
And will get more xp for doing this.
And this probably solves the problem with being constantly shot at...
You can make many things/fights easier if you pick correct decisions instead skipping dialogs like retard

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Fuck Dhampirs or whatever and fuck all "it's basically this but not really" races
-Delete half-orcs, just make orcs a playable race
-Delete Aasimar and Tieflings, just make some weaker angel/demon species for players to play
-Delete Dhampirs, just add vampires as a playable race
-Delete half-elves, only faggots play them
-Shoot the guy who thought that playing a half-drow was a good idea

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Remove gnomes that barely different from halflings or halflings and add kobolds or ratfolk.
DD%20AC11%20Cover.png

No, gnomes and halflings are completely different manlet species. One deserve to live and other deserve to die and be reanimated.
DD%20B4%20Dwarf.png

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This game is p. fun. I like its overall design and the general scope of its nature.

However, it has some of the most infantile and blatantly out-of-place dialog I think I've ever seen in a "serious" RPG. If another companion says the word "stuff" one more time I'm going to shit myself.

That's all I wanted to say. I probably won't read any replies unless you tag me.

And I hate being tagged.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Respec = Decline.

Simple as that. Stuck with your decisions.

Not when half the class features are bugged to shit. Start with a cavalier, but charge is buggy as fuck?

Mash that respec button.

Exactly. In a game as buggy AND with such complex character building I don't consider that a cheat.

Heck, when I started playing I couldn't get my Sohei any mount other then a horse, even from other classes. Now I can.

Drazhya

Novice
My stance on the writing is that the broad strokes (character/story arcs) are interesting, and the details (prose/dialogue) is bad.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://youtu.be/DnzVK8lydz8 Foxes are the master race or bug?
I don't like the word "[DRAFT]" near the bonus - because they might fix it - but in general yes. Both YT bolsheviks - an American teacher and a Russian terrorist supporter - mentioned it.

I like this mechanic. And you're burning a valuable Mythic Ability to use it. AND you're giving up your Bite attack and Pounce. So I consider it rather fair.
I plan to take this ability... eventually. Will let me boost Trip CMB (and AB) further - when I fight stationary. Probably very late game, though - there are many more important picks.

Of course its very nice on a ranged character - who doesn't care about Biting and Pouncing.

Wait, wait. There are people that played the Drezen assault and actually did not like it? On the codex? It's a big map with multiple paths through it, filled to the brim with good fights and skills checks, and has what is probably the best song in an already great soundtrack playing while you slaughter demons and cultists all around you. What more can you ask for in a crpg?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty impressed and satisfied with the Drezen assault. Just killed the giants yesterday, but I can tell how much thought went into this map. It rarely gets better than this in the PnP-emulating RPGs that I know of.

If Deadfire or PoE could have had areas of comparable size, outside of the expansion packs and some exceptions in the main games.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did I miss something or can you really not rest at all in the Midnight Fane?
I mean, you CAN rest, of course, but the difficulty is 37 or sth like that so you're all but guaranteed to fail the check and get at least to the rather crippling lvl 2 corruption level.

Seemed totally insane to me to get through this on Core without doing a single rest. In the beginning I assumed you'd get at least one rest or so (similar to the Drezen siege).
But I had to go through it entirely without resting - took quite a bit of reloading...

I was actually glad the boss of that level is a bit of a pushover compared to the rest of it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom