Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was Ontopoly banned?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The amount of bannings that have happened over the last few months seems to be getting out of hand. This forum isn't going to be the same very soon at this rate. So what happened to Ontopoly?

edit: Nevermind, I am retarded. Figured it out quite shortly after.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
This is getting to be beyond a joke. We need explicit rules and a warning system or there's going to be nobody left to ban. Free speech is being limited on the Codex. I get it. This place has never been anything goes. But it used to take effort to get banned here. You had to work hard and earn it. So we didn't need explicit rules.

Now we're all one fuck up away from a banning. So tell us where the line is and warn people explicitly when they cross it. That's needed now, seeing as going back to the way things have worked for two decades is apparently out of the question.

Have some fucking courage. Come out and say where you stand. Is it the right wing shit you can't stand? The racism and homophobia? Is it just a case of these things being offensive to your deeply held personal beliefs? Say so. Man up. Or is it something else? Because I think it is something else.

I think you have a vision of a Codex that serves as a central hub to the RPG renaissance, acting primarily as a news portal for indie and niche RPGs, and you feel that the level of racist and homophobic shitposting on this site represents a barrier to that. You want developers to be able to post here again without getting cancelled for it (good luck on that front). That's my theory. I don't like it one little bit but I'm prepared to tone it down in order to be able to continue posting here. But I need to know where the line is, and how far you're planning to go with this.

DarkUnderlord Infinitron

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The amount of bannings that have happened over the last few months seems to be getting out of hand. This forum isn't going to be the same very soon at this rate. So what happened to Ontopoly?

edit: Nevermind, I am retarded. Figured it out quite shortly after.
For those who are curious:
DarkUnderlord should add a report button under the shoutbox. What if someone is doing banworthy stuff in there like posting inappropriate pictures or spamming? How would we notify the mod team?
I'm plenty friendly but what if someone else isn't? What if they do something against the shoutbox rules. The friendly thing to do would be to tell the mods.
I'll show you how we deal with that, so that you have an in-depth understanding.
He made a spammy thread and tagged DU.
This is getting to be beyond a joke. We need explicit rules and a warning system
We have rules and a warning system. Neither of which matter when you annoy the site owner though.

Common sense rules the day within the Friendly Arm Inn. :M

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Don't poke the kangaroo.

I realize by tagging him I risk him banning me too. I don't want that to happen. But someone has to call this guy out on this bullshit. He's banning people left right and center and the only person who thinks its funny is him. He's going to end up wrecking a decades old Internet community, and for what? Is this just a childish power trip that he's on? After all this time did he just go crazy and decide to start abusing his admin powers to ban people for shits and giggles or because they annoy him? Maybe. He always seemed like a fairly chill guy but I don't know him. I think my only direct interaction with him was over 10 years ago when I was stoned and spamming about vampire motorcycle jousting. He PMed me to say stop or he'd ban me. I stopped.

I'd like to give DU more credit than to believe all these bans are just infantile abuse of power. He's kept this place going for a long time and while he doesn't post as much as he used to he's still active daily. After VD stepped down everyone thought the sky was falling. But he just took over and everything kept ticking along. We have him to thank for even still having a Codex to post on.

So with an awareness of that I'd like to think there's some grander plan and agenda behind what's happening. I may not agree with it, but it would at least be something I could engage with and make a decision about. But in the absence of any acknowledgement from admins that anything is even happening here all we can do is make wild speculations.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Don't poke the kangaroo.

I realize by tagging him I risk him banning me too. I don't want that to happen. But someone has to call this guy out on this bullshit. He's banning people left right and center and the only person who thinks its funny is him.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Who has he personally banned that wasn't going out of their way looking for it?

I'd sooner complain about Desiderius' ban (which was lifted anyway due to forum backlash against the mod who did it) or the 'tag spamming' as it were that Taluntain (good bloke otherwise tho) did to Owlish and possibly some other users due to getting involved in a pointless back and forth in GD.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Don't poke the kangaroo.

I realize by tagging him I risk him banning me too. I don't want that to happen. But someone has to call this guy out on this bullshit. He's banning people left right and center and the only person who thinks its funny is him.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Who has he personally banned that wasn't going out of their way looking for it?

I'd sooner complain about Desiderius' ban (which was lifted anyway due to forum backlash against the mod who did it) or the 'tag spamming' as it were that Taluntain (good bloke otherwise tho) did to Owlish and possibly some other users due to getting involved in a pointless back and forth in GD.

There isn't one user I can point to as our George Floyd. It sure as hells isn't Maxie, that guy was always going to be banned eventually and probably would have got banned from pre 2010 Codex a lot sooner.

My case isn't really helped by the fact that I don't really form relationships here, so I don't remember most peoples' usernames. But surely you've noticed the pattern? We're seeing daily bans. Everyone gets mad and says its political, relating the ban to the censorship policies in GRPG and accusing admins of a left wing agenda. Then screenshots or quotes get posted of some nothing little spat between the admin and the banned user. This thread here, this guy wasn't looking to be banned. This wasn't even an argument. If those quotes are representative of what happened then DU banned him for a joke. Hilarious. What a kidder! But maybe he should get some new material?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I realize by tagging him I risk him banning me too. I don't want that to happen.
It's the risk we all take when we dabble in the wild magic that is Site Feedback.

But someone has to call this guy out on this bullshit. He's banning people left right and center and the only person who thinks its funny is him.
I don't remember him banning anyone else recently. Most of the bannings are done by other mods or Infinitron, and many of those have been reversed.
He's going to end up wrecking a decades old Internet community
You...realize that this site might not be around much longer anyway, right? Free speech is kind of a dying concept in the age of globohomo.
I think my only direct interaction with him was over 10 years ago when I was stoned and spamming about vampire motorcycle jousting. He PMed me to say stop or he'd ban me. I stopped.
And he's pretty consistent about it still. Spamming is one of the few no-noes on this site. It's rule A3. I was banned for it as well a few years back, but they reversed it.

Is this really the hill you want to die on? Was Ontopoly really such a loss for the Codex? Why is it always the most spammy, annoying posters that people create threads for, demanding to know why they're banned as if it was some great travesty of justice? It's like those police shooting black suspect videos where the black guy is always resisting arrest and trying to kill the cop, usually while drugged out and armed, that people hold up, shouting "POLICE BRUTALITY!", while ignoring all the evidence and relying on an army of irrational NPCs to do the same. Is the anti-larian spammer really the bastion of free speech that you want to be the George Floyd of your movement?

And more importantly: Why is it no one ever made a thread asking what happened to that handsome fellow lambchop? :M

Bloodeyes

Arcane
And more importantly: Why is it no one ever made a thread asking what happened to that handsome fellow lambchop? :M

Lambchop self ejected and went off grid because he was scared ANTIFA would see his Codex posts and come and drag him from his home. He made a farewell thread in the politics forum. Unless I'm confusing him with another use? I do that.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Lambchop self ejected and went off grid because he was scared ANTIFA would see his Codex posts and come and drag him from his home. He made a farewell thread in the politics forum. Unless I'm confusing him with another use? I do that.
I forgot about that.

But I mean, we could pretend he didn't do that, right? He could be the George Floyd, right? Come on.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Is this really the hill you want to die on? Was Ontopoly really such a loss for the Codex? Why is it always the most spammy, annoying posters that people create threads for, demanding to know why they're banned as if it was some great travesty of justice? It's like those police shooting black suspect videos where the black guy is always resisting arrest and trying to kill the cop, usually while drugged out and armed, that people hold up, shouting "POLICE BRUTALITY!", while ignoring all the evidence and relying on an army of irrational NPCs to do the same. Is the anti-larian spammer really the bastion of free speech that you want to be the George Floyd of your movement?

I liked Ontopoly but I certainly wasn't about to do all that without knowing why he was banned.

fork

Don't poke the kangaroo.

I realize by tagging him I risk him banning me too. I don't want that to happen. But someone has to call this guy out on this bullshit. He's banning people left right and center and the only person who thinks its funny is him. He's going to end up wrecking a decades old Internet community, and for what? Is this just a childish power trip that he's on? After all this time did he just go crazy and decide to start abusing his admin powers to ban people for shits and giggles or because they annoy him? Maybe. He always seemed like a fairly chill guy but I don't know him. I think my only direct interaction with him was over 10 years ago when I was stoned and spamming about vampire motorcycle jousting. He PMed me to say stop or he'd ban me. I stopped.

I'd like to give DU more credit than to believe all these bans are just infantile abuse of power. He's kept this place going for a long time and while he doesn't post as much as he used to he's still active daily. After VD stepped down everyone thought the sky was falling. But he just took over and everything kept ticking along. We have him to thank for even still having a Codex to post on.

So with an awareness of that I'd like to think there's some grander plan and agenda behind what's happening. I may not agree with it, but it would at least be something I could engage with and make a decision about. But in the absence of any acknowledgement from admins that anything is even happening here all we can do is make wild speculations.

Codex is dying, that's what's happening.

A place like the Codex, where users can freely speak their mind, criticise fags, trannies, kikes, joggers or even sell-out devs has no place in current year internet. And instead of fighting for the place, DU surrounded himself with brainwashed, delusional faggots who stare jealously on sites like retardera where all the devs post, lol. They got rid of JarlFrank, undoubtedly one of the more prestigious posters here, and somehow Infinitron even managed to shut Saint_Proverbius down, who posted more interesting news over a couple of weeks than Infinitron has in all the time since I started lurking the place...

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
GhostCow hey, I saw that!
delusional faggots who stare jealously on sites like retardera where all the devs post, lol.
The irony is that I know of at least one dev that stopped posting here because of a mod giving him grief. Not sure he wants me to say who he is though.
They got rid of JarlFrank, undoubtedly one of the more prestigious posters here
He doesn't...look banned. It is a loss if he was though. Sad.
and somehow Infinitron even managed to shut Saint_Proverbius down, who posted more interesting news over a couple of weeks than Infinitron has in all the time since I started lurking the place...
He's been pretty hands off for a long time now. How do you know anyone else is the reason for that?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Don't poke the kangaroo.

Codex is dying, that's what's happening.

A place like the Codex, where users can freely speak their mind, criticise fags, trannies, kikes, joggers or even sell-out devs has no place in current year internet. And instead of fighting for the place, DU surrounded himself with brainwashed, delusional faggots who stare jealously on sites like retardera where all the devs post, lol. They got rid of JarlFrank, undoubtedly one of the more prestigious posters here, and somehow Infinitron even managed to shut Saint_Proverbius down, who posted more interesting news over a couple of weeks than Infinitron has in all the time since I started lurking the place...

Yeah it's a shame Saint_Proverbius stopped doing those newsposts. I noticed when he started doing that. It was great, a return to the times when the front page was all articles from actual codexers that were worth reading. I'd love to see a return to quality over quantity on the front page.

I don't have a personal beef with Infinitron. He helped me regain access to my account when was locked out of it, and has been nothing but friendly and helpful to me. But I don't like his style of newsposting at all. To me its garbage and not even worth looking at. I don't even have the front page bookmarked anymore. I load straight into the forum index, skipping his press kit spam. I bet a lot of posters do that, so probably many didn't even see SP's posts.

If the Codex were to split I'd wouldn't split it into politics/cRPGs. I'd split the news blog, news comments forum and GRPG into a separate site, then make an cRPG discussion board in what's left. One board for the faggots and one for the Codexers. It wouldn't work though. The faggots would see the Codexers were more active and having more fun than their shitty news site and would have to come over and ruin it.

fork

They got rid of JarlFrank, undoubtedly one of the more prestigious posters here
He doesn't...look banned. It is a loss if he was though. Sad.

He was a mod once.
Funny how JarlFrank isn't anymore but we're stuck with all those other faggots, huh?

and somehow Infinitron even managed to shut Saint_Proverbius down, who posted more interesting news over a couple of weeks than Infinitron has in all the time since I started lurking the place...
Didn't he come back for a hot minute to post about some really gay looking RPGMaker game or something? He's been pretty hands off for a long time now though. How do you know anyone else is the reason for that?

I only know that he returned from the dead, posted news like crazy for a while, some interesting, some shit, most looking unprofessional (typos, bad formatting), which angered Infinitron, probably because he felt a) superior, due to his perfectionism and b) threatened, because of SP's status. Feels kinda funny that SP is suddenly not posting news anymore, despite logging in from time to time. I preferred SP's news style over Infinitron's shilling. Because SP posted stuff I might have actually missed otherwise.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
He was a mod once.
Sadly, I know the politics of moderatorship all to well.

You see, I participated in an election for the position of Codex moderator some time ago (which I clearly won). I was even going to be a news poster, per DU himself.

But it was not to be. And Crispy was the one who let me know why. To my shock, it was because of my race...or because I was racist. One of those two.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
He was a mod once.
Funny how JarlFrank isn't anymore but we're stuck with all those other faggots, huh?

JF had his mod permissions removed for panicking and deleting a bunch of his posts during nazigate. That said, I think he should get those rights back as we've all done dumb stuff whilst under duress, and he was a good mod.

I only know that he returned from the dead, posted news like crazy for a while, some interesting, some shit, most looking unprofessional (typos, bad formatting), which angered Infinitron, probably because he felt a) superior, due to his perfectionism and b) threatened, because of SP's status. Feels kinda funny that SP is suddenly not posting news anymore, despite logging in from time to time. I preferred SP's news style over Infinitron's shilling. Because SP posted stuff I might have actually missed otherwise.

SP is busy with his farm. He still rarely posts in shoutbox.

Also re: Ontopoly and the main topic. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I've always said, making requests of DU is like casting a wish spell. Ontopoly had a low wisdom score.

fork

He was a mod once.

JF had his mod permissions removed for panicking and deleting a bunch of his posts during nazigate. That said, I think he should get those rights back as we've all done dumb stuff whilst under duress, and he was a good mod.

SP is busy with his farm. He still rarely posts in shoutbox.

Yeah, not only was he fucked out of his job, but also out of the mod position. I'm surprised he still posts here tbh.
Also, how convenient that SP is suddenly so busy.

I realize by tagging him I risk him banning me too. I don't want that to happen. But someone has to call this guy out on this bullshit. He's banning people left right and center and the only person who thinks its funny is him. He's going to end up wrecking a decades old Internet community, and for what? Is this just a childish power trip that he's on?
He's on edge because he might have to legally turn this into resetera due to Ausfailia's censorship.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I realize by tagging him I risk him banning me too. I don't want that to happen. But someone has to call this guy out on this bullshit. He's banning people left right and center and the only person who thinks its funny is him. He's going to end up wrecking a decades old Internet community, and for what? Is this just a childish power trip that he's on?
He's on edge because he might have to legally turn this into resetera due to Ausfailia's censorship.

That's totally reasonable actually. I wish he would have just lead with that, instead of cryptic shit and talk of splitting the codex. I don't want DU to go to jail or get sued. It fucking sucks that speech laws are affecting the codex but no reasonable person would ask him to do that. I do think we need to find a way to transfer ownership of the Codex to someone based in the US though, seeing as he's putting himself at such risk by running the place. The US is no paradise but at least they sill have the first amendment to fall back on in cases like this. No idea who that would be, but it's a conversation worth having.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik

I forgot about that.

But I mean, we could pretend he didn't do that, right? He could be the George Floyd, right? Come on.

This lambchop dude is certainly a cuck and a coward

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom