Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gary Gygax thread

Codex Year of the Donut
Nearly all of these are taken from the Dragon's Foot/ENWorld Q&A threads, otherwise the source will be listed.

Dragon's Foot Q&A
https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12147&p=204737#p204737
Egalitarianism is a dispicable philospphy that discourages individual achievement, disparages personal merit, and concludes that all should not only start but finish equally. It denies that every human is different.

In short, I loathe the concept for its falshood and foolishness.

Gary

https://www.enworld.org/threads/q-a-with-gary-gygax.22566/page-116#post-1995336
How I detest namby-pamby whiners that expect to play a real RPG without threat of character death or loss of a level, stat points, or even choice magic items! Without such possibilities, what it the purpose of play, a race to see which character can have the greatest level, highest stats, and largest horde of treasure?

Dragon #272, Hooray for the Dungeon Crawl!
Those who reject the dungeon crawl are like painters who refuse to use red pigment in their work. This leaves their palette lacking in a primary color.

ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 5, 2004
As I have often said, I am a biological determinist, and there is no question that male and female brains are different. It is apparent to me that by and large females do not derrive the same inner satisfaction from playing games as a hobby that males do. It isn’t that females can’t play games well, it is just that it isn’t a compelling activity to them as is the case for males.

Gygax BTFOs savescummers

ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 5, 2004
Next those cry babies will be moaning about being turned to stone. Tell the complainers they should be playing a CRPG where they can save and thus avoid all real danger–ues cheat codes too :-D

storyfags btfo

ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 5, 2003
“Storytelling” games are not RPGs. Neither are “diceless” games.

An RPG creates a story, does not follow a script. That’s a play, possibly improv theater. In a real RPG the GM develops a backstory and plot, sets the scenes, and then the PCs interact with those and by their actions create the actual tale, the events and conclusion of which are indeterminate until that occurs.

As in real life, chance and random occurrances must be a part of an RPG adventure. As a matter of fact you and I do not know what will happen in the next minute. As is oft quoted, “There’s many a slip between cup and lip.” to ignore random events, not allow chance into play, is to consign the game to predestination.

..combatfags btfo

http://www.witchboy.net/articles/the-dungeon-master-an-interview-with-gary-gygax/
As false to the game form as the pre-scripted “story,” is play that has little more in it than seek and destroy missions, vacuous effort where the participants fight and kill some monster so as to gain more power and thus be able to look for yet more potent opponents in a spiral that leads nowhere save eventual boredom. So pure hack and slash play is anathema to me too.

Tactical, and strategic, play is a fine addition to the RPG, and if it is in-character, something I see as desirable, In this category fall such things as exploration, economics, politics, and even intrigue.

ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 8, 2005
When players began to announce their character’s alignment to other participants I shuddered. I suggested that such information was not for broadcast, that the PCs might not actually think of themselves as categorized thus, and the alignment categories were meant more to guide the player in playing his character in the game.

ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 13, 2007
As I created them, there are absolutely no good Drow save for the insane.

2E mainly existed to remove Gygax's royalties
Q: Not to start a gripe session or anything, Gary, but do you mean that the revisions in 2e were doneto basically make things in AD&D less Gygaxian?

Gary: It was done so as to remove my name and have a “derivative” game for which no royalties were payable to me per agreement. to save 2.5% they wrecked the company…

3E & co was a mistake, it is nothing but trash.

ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 1, 2002
There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 4, 2003
IMO there has been a vast shift in game focus in 3E. The archetype has gone by the board, comic book-like feats are a feature, the whole purpose of play is set on killing things, and power gaming is encouraged. Long-term play is not facilitated by the new game.
ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 5, 2003
I find no soul in the new D&D game, no archetypes, just seek and destroy play and too much of the comic book superhero in characters.

weebs will be spared no quarter

https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=252328#p252328
Have you ever seen the middle-aged fat guy that dresses in a Sailor Moon costume at gaming cons? What a sight!

humanocentrism

Dragon #29
All of this will certainly lead to the question, why is it that the human race is so favored in AD&D? There is no question that human characters have an edge on all others in the long run—even considering the generally unlimited potential for non-human thieves. The bias was placed in the game on the assumption that the vast majority of campaign milieux would be based on human-dominated worlds. Therefore, humans must have some sort of edge. As human adaptability is undoubted, and human capabilities deemed vast by this writer, it seemed to follow that allowing them the full range of possibilities was the best answer. Thus, humans are found in all alignments, in all professions, and so on. The weakest are very weak, the strongest very strong. The human race plumbs the depths and soars to the heights. In AD&D, as in the real world, humankind will certainly attain greatness and domination if it doesn't destroy itself first through warfare and strife within its own race

Campaign worlds are humanocentric because all GMs are human, of course, and actually developing a milieu in which some other race was predominant is a poser, a creative task I would not care to undertake, as it would necessarily take decades, if it could be properly depicted at all, IMO.

Of course all well-considered fantasy world settings are homocentric. The authors are human, and all of the actual historical information available deals only with human culture, society, and history, save for mytholoigy and folklore. Even those latter sources are homocentric in perspective.

I for one do not care to spend years of time and effort imagining and creating an exotic universe for a non-human race or races, complete with all that pertains to such a group. Just think of all the informatin we know and have recorded regarding humanity, and the effort needed to create a tenth of that lore for an imaginary race.

In short, that's why all the non-human races in imaginative writings such as books and games are not really very different from humans, just variants of them with some qualities exaggerated to give apparent differentiation--Klingons are fiercely warlike, Vulcans are coldly mental, Ferengi are completely crass and venal, etc. So dwarves are stout and love ale, elves are slender and nature-oriented, orcs are ugly and brutal...but have essentially human culture and societies.

wimminz

Someone of the female gender once asked why I wrote from the male perspective. Well duh!
Let me say that I am highly doubtful regarding the accuracy of that claim. If as many as 10% of the RPG (excluding LARPers) audience is female, I will be surprised. I have seen other surveys with meaningful samplings that indicate the percentage of females is somewhere between 6% and 9%. That is players, not necessarily consumers.
I have never personally succeeded in converting a female to the hobby, including all three of my daughters. They played and enjoyed it for some weeks or months, but lost interest thereafter.

guns

I own a 12 gauge pump and a double-barreled shotgun. a 30-30 carbine, a 7.63 mm Argentine Mauser, a 9mm Uzi, and a .22 semi-automatic. I also have several handguns, including a .45 semi-automatic, a .357 revolver, and a 9mm colt semi-automatic.
Of course I keep loaded handguns--empty ones are less useful that a rock.

PC / politics

Somehow Political correctness seems to be working its way into gaming, and that's a dispicable thing, as Political Correctness is thought control. As author Richard Payne Knight notes, "Poverty of expression will product poverty of conception." Offense at what is said is too easily taken these days, hindering free speech and free thinking.
... but I will say that I am a Life Member of the Libertarian Party, not a liberal as defined by today's standards, and very much concerned about Islamofascism, a threat I think worse than that of the Nazis and Imperial Japan in the 1930s and 40s. this latter view places me at extreme with the Libertarian position, which I view as extremely flawed.

his opinion on you disagreeing with him
Am I breaking your widdle heart because I am saying what I think rather than what YOU think i should say. Get a life.

lastchristmas on suicide watch
Paladins have no requirement of celibacy

and of course, the most important of all

Bah! It is a mistake to bow to the wished of munchkins who whine.
Damn, all this typing makes me want to have a cigar and coffee now.

you can find a compiled list of all his Q&A answers here if you feel like reading through thousands upon thousands of posts
https://web.archive.org/web/20110519180015/http://blogofholding.com/?page_id=2744
alternative if that one ever gets deleted: https://archive.is/brD0G

agris

Arcane
Patron
Good compilation rusty_shackleford, thanks. Your culture war/partisan cherry-picking is obvious, but great quotes nonetheless. Thanks for including links to sources as well!

I love Gygax’s comments on 3e. Having grown up in the 1990s and come of age playing 2nd ed cRPGs, I experienced the transition from 2nd to 3rd edition first hand. Gygax is right of course, the game changed entirely. It went from a rules based, somewhat grounded experience to “everyone is a winner” no class or race restrictions, with the early 2000s flavor of popamole engagement through trite mechanics. You get a feat, and you get a feat, and YOU get a feat!

It still shocks me to see all the posters here - with supposed elite and refined taste - gobble up 3rd ed shlock from the WotC. These people are *thirsty* to pop moles using a rules system that isn’t even a pale comparison to 1st/2nd ed; it is an abomination.

Yet fans of Pathfinder are legion here.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
2E mainly existed to remove Gygax's royalties
Q: Not to start a gripe session or anything, Gary, but do you mean that the revisions in 2e were doneto basically make things in AD&D less Gygaxian?

Gary: It was done so as to remove my name and have a “derivative” game for which no royalties were payable to me per agreement. to save 2.5% they wrecked the company…
The month after Gygax's ouster from TSR, Dragon Magazine #108 (November 1985) carried an article by Gygax on "The Future of the Game" describing his plans for 2nd edition AD&D, work on which he anticipated to start in mid-1986 and take two to three years. If Gygax hadn't been removed from TSR, it's unlikely that 2nd edition AD&D would have been published any later than mid-1989 --- when it actually was published after being developed by David Zeb Cook --- and it probably wouldn't have been terribly different from the version we received.

Although we might have missed out on bards becoming the fifth major class, with jesters as a sub-class. :M

Bara

Arcane
What did he have to say on magefags?

Well I mean his self insert character was a dual class fighter/mage so safe to say he was a magefan and fighterbro.
Capture.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What did he have to say on magefags?
When adventuring in Greyhawk with Rob Kuntz as Dungeon Master, Gygax's main PC was Mordenkainen the magic-user:

mordfantastical.jpg

"The module you are about to read contains the hasis for one of the most difficult adventures that my character, Mordenkainen the Mage, ever underwent. The characters and the events were slightly different from what is presented here: for, after some time, Rob Kuntz and I sat down together as co-DMs of the Greyhawk Campaign to revise and expand the scenario. You now have substantially what we created at that time."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Based Gary. I'm glad D&D was at least created by such a gentleman and scholar even if it's since become a fucking joke in the hands of other, lesser men.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
... but I will say that I am a Life Member of the Libertarian Party, not a liberal as defined by today's standards, and very much concerned about Islamofascism, a threat I think worse than that of the Nazis and Imperial Japan in the 1930s and 40s. this latter view places me at extreme with the Libertarian position, which I view as extremely flawed.

Thanks for posting that. Leftards will claim that "right wingers can't be creative" or other shit, but it turns out that truly great things are created by people on the right and then insane leftists come in to take over. Sure he wasn't a republican but his views would be described as "far right extremism" by every SJW.

Codex Year of the Donut

Thanks for posting that. Leftards will claim that "right wingers can't be creative" or other shit, but it turns out that truly great things are created by people on the right and then insane leftists come in to take over. Sure he wasn't a republican but his views would be described as "far right extremism" by every SJW.
mind you, this was a time when the libertarian party was still ran by adults rather than lolbertarian manchildren

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
He was right about a lot of things. I remember when women started playing RPGs en masse and enjoyed all the attention of the men present. They did it for the validation not for the game itself.

agris

Arcane
Patron
He was right about a lot of things. I remember when women started playing RPGs en masse and enjoyed all the attention of the men present. They did it for the validation not for the game itself.
Incel hot take detected. I've seen it both ways, I've also seen a guy who showed up for the social angle way more than the game itself. You're describing humans, not gender.

agris

Arcane
Patron
mondblut nah, he was a "nerd" who liked to do nerd shit, but didn't actually care for the mechanics at play - more so the drinking and socializing. The first woman in our group actually loved the crunchy mechanics, creating her character and muderhobo'ing, but we did have another tag-along that joined later who was probably there for a guy who was playing with us.

The point being, in my tiny sample of n=1, I saw it both ways from both genders. Some fit the meme, some don't. That's why I think it's more general to the diverse spectrum of humanity than one gender vs another.

and: and to be clear, we were all there for the drinking and socializing. But some moreso than others.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Incel hot take detected. I've seen it both ways, I've also seen a guy who showed up for the social angle way more than the game itself. You're describing humans, not gender.

*Yawn* This is what passes for modern intelligence. The first thing you do is insult someone based upon their ability to get pussy. That's a sure sign that you're the incel and that you thirst after pussy so bad that you have to defend an entire gender in the hopes of getting laid.

In no way does your comment invalidate what I saw and experienced in gaming groups beginning in the late 1980s. In 90% of the groups I played in the women were only there to get validation from thirsty men. Sure, there were exceptions to the rule, but they were exceptions. It ended up to where we are now.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is apparent to me that by and large females do not derrive the same inner satisfaction from playing games as a hobby that males do. It isn’t that females can’t play games well, it is just that it isn’t a compelling activity to them as is the case for males.
I've met several gaming women and introduced my gf to gaming, did tabletop RPG with several ones and board games with even more, and I tend to agree. They can clearly be as good as a player as any man, do enjoy a good game, but they usually don't have the "hardcore", "play for the sake of it" side, but have a more balanced "it's just a game" stance. Still, girl nerdeage may vary, and some of them are very much able to nitpick at large about obscure shit.
But it may be like sex : male are more after intensity, rush and the act itself, female are more about the moment, having a good time, doing something enjoyable. When you know it, it gets easier to make everybody happy.

Archibald

Arcane
It still shocks me to see all the posters here - with supposed elite and refined taste - gobble up 3rd ed shlock from the WotC. These people are *thirsty* to pop moles using a rules system that isn’t even a pale comparison to 1st/2nd ed; it is an abomination.

Might be age thing, one you try first might be the one you end up liking the most.

Khor1255

Arcane
I had a few chicks play the long running medieval game I had. If I'm remembering correctly the first two were girlfriends just wanting to do it because that's what I was doing. The next two were sisters very much into artsy things who just wanted to try it out and the last one was a girl genuinely interested but kind of forced to stop by her jealous boyfriend.
Not one of them completely got it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom