Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A quick google search tells me that narrative designers basically ensure the presence of c&c and do not do any actual writing on their own. Meaning that Chrissy did in fact in all likelihood not write jack and was mostly hired for clout.

Narrative designers are what they call people who do more than just write text. Owlcat has no "writers," it only has narrative designers. That being said, they mentioned that Avellone did no specific writing for Wrath, he just did the same thing he did for Kingmaker minus Nok Nok.

I worked with the Alexanders to do passes of the story to expand it from the pen and paper roots so people who had played the original adventure path would still have some new content. We worked out the underlying theme for the story as well. In addition, some elements of the pen and paper path were taken in new directions to make them more suited for evil playstyles, which was fun. I also worked with the designers on setting up the pen and paper quest arcs with the new companion quests across the game (the companions add a lot), and gave feedback on the companions as well.

As for writing companions, I got the parameters of the “goblin rogue” (the companions weren’t named at the outset, and I did help with naming companions). From that, I was able to flesh out additional elements of his backstory, look, etc. and then I wrote Nok-Nok from start to finish. Nok-Nok’s one-paragraph character arc had already been approved by the license holder before I came on board (and same with some of the other story elements), but Alexander Komzolov and I agreed to change aspects about Nok-Nok afterwards even though his general arc remained the same (and some specific conclusions to his companion quest).

I also did the style guide, the module (on 2nd draft now), helped coordinate some aspects of the editing team (we had two editors who worked on the English versions), helped with UI text, and writing and edits on about 150+ other characters.

Take that, subtract the Nok-Nok paragraph.

Yosharian

Arcane
Beyond the Beef is a brilliant quest when it actually works. It mostly does, now, if you play with VNV or some other patched/bugfixed version of the game.

Trashos

Arcane
You can disagree all you want, bitches. It does not change the fact that Hanlon is responsible for some of the most boring writing known to mankind. I challenge you to go through all his dialogue tree without yawning the first time you meet him. You all probably remember just the suicide scene.

Humbaba

Arcane
You can disagree all you want, bitches. It does not change the fact that Hanlon is responsible for some of the most boring writing known to mankind. I challenge you to go through all his dialogue tree without yawning the first time you meet him. You all probably remember just the suicide scene.

I called bullshit on his entire plan and the fact that I couldn't smash in his office door because I could smell his suicide from a mile away.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I'm not trying to be controversial or being insulting toward your work. I love the writing in KOTOR II. Kreia and Atton are my two favorite Star Wars characters of all time. But the game works better as a story than as a game. The combat is terrible in both games
I agree, when I first played KOTOR I thought the turn-based approach felt odd and out of place, and we didn't have time to change it (it would have been a big undertaking for such a short project, and I don't think we could have done it).

:rpgcodex:

In other news, Josh Sawyer did some talk for DStars Connect earlier this year.

I'm not going to watch it because I don't care. However someone on 4chan claims he says the following things about Chris when asked about him:

"I used to consider him a friend, but I don't think he likes me."
"I respect him professionally, so I wont go into any more detail."

Seems like something Josh would say even if made up. +M

Ninjerk

Arcane

I'm not trying to be controversial or being insulting toward your work. I love the writing in KOTOR II. Kreia and Atton are my two favorite Star Wars characters of all time. But the game works better as a story than as a game. The combat is terrible in both games
I agree, when I first played KOTOR I thought the turn-based approach felt odd and out of place, and we didn't have time to change it (it would have been a big undertaking for such a short project, and I don't think we could have done it).

:rpgcodex:

In other news, Josh Sawyer did some talk for DStars Connect earlier this year.

I'm not going to watch it because I don't care. However someone on 4chan claims he says the following things about Chris when asked about him:

"I used to consider him a friend, but I don't think he likes me."
"I respect him professionally, so I wont go into any more detail."

Seems like something Josh would say even if made up. +M

There's no Q&A in the video you linked FYI.

EDIT: I did 2x the video and 5 second skipped a bit but I'm pretty sure it isn't there, in any case.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It probably doesn't mean much, but he has a new profile and header image on twitter. I don't know if it's just a random picture, something hugely popular that I should know about, or if it's a teaser.
IBT5Opnn_400x400.jpg

1500x500

Harthwain

Magister
It probably doesn't mean much, but he has a new profile and header image on twitter. I don't know if it's just a random picture, something hugely popular that I should know about, or if it's a teaser.
For a moment I thought it's from the move District 9, but after looking into it (a bit) this seems to be an art made by "Cornelius Dämmrich" (and is nothing more than that).

Some other stuff of his can be found here, if anyone is interested: https://www.artstation.com/zomtech

Latelistener

Arcane
None of those characters clicked with me unfortunately, aside from Luka. He has an interesting story and a good fitting end.

Danielle Sho is a pure cringe and a SJW insert though. She also just disappears in the middle of the game. For a project which internal name is Danielle this is really weird. It's like they didn't have time to finish some stuff, when in fact this game is probably the most expensive LG-style game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom