Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

fork

[...] Just looks like a flat plane with all enemies just wandering around, you run up to them and bonk them on the head, grab the loot, rinse and repeat..

Sounds a bit like Darkwood, doesn't it? Yeah, you can craft guns, doesn't make much of a differnce though.
And Darkwood forces you to hide and barricade in your hideout every couple of minutes on top of that.

Ash, Sykar: I must have missed all those elevation changes and otherwise intricate level design then.
Dishonest plebs.

Darkwood level design has:

A wide variety of traps, elaborate interactivity with the environment, scripted enemy encounters as well as dynamic spawns, the occasional puzzle, vaultable objects (e.g fences), terrain differences (swamps slows you down, trials drain stamina slower, forested areas obscure vision), light plays a major role in level design and can be manipulated in a variety of ways, a variety of hidden content/secrets, tons of optional locations, multiple paths/points of entry to locations...but yes, it does not have elevation differences. One thing missing as opposed to Diablo's obvious non-existent level design. Stop being a faggot. Play Darkwood if you're someone with taste.

Fair enough. Those things don't save the game for me, but I see how they could make the game somewhat interesting if you like the other aspects of the game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So yeah, I got kind of careless and trolly, and ended up killing my lvl 75 bone necro.

Rest in pieces my friend.

Do I start a new hardcore blizzard sorc, or do I put the game down until ladder launches?

Such is the peril of the times.
Trya different build. If you ain't bummed and enjoying it, then try again.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
So I respecced my Druid early on, mostly because I was really interested to try some AoE damage. Doing pure fire now and, uhh, jesus christ almighty. Once again, exactly as I remembered. Blizz has always loved casters.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I respecced my Druid early on, mostly because I was really interested to try some AoE damage. Doing pure fire now and, uhh, jesus christ almighty. Once again, exactly as I remembered. Blizz has always loved casters.
Druid caster is pure cancer to play due to all the spells doing random damage in their AoE. Fuck that. With Druid you either go Shapeshifting, Summoning or you play a real spellcaster.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Well, as people already pointed out, Blizzard tried to balance casters by making Mana Potions scarce (not being able to be bought in the shop). But eventually they realized that the gameplay loop kinda went into the shitters with you constantly teleporting to town when being out of mana. Balancing casters and melee characters really is not that easy.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Druid caster is pure cancer to play due to all the spells doing random damage in their AoE. Fuck that. With Druid you either go Shapeshifting, Summoning or you play a real spellcaster.

Well, I'm having a good time.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Tell me again once you reach Hell difficulty :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
He'll just respec again but now into helicopter. Fissure is not in particular random, works fine for most of the game.

And Druid is not even the best caster. He's average. Only good thing about his spells is some superb visuals. Still a more varied and better character than poor Barbo - in the current patches/era, anyway.

Reason why I wanted to try play 1.07/anything before synergies is to actually try and play, say, Druid without synergies; like a summon skill and lycanthropy, or summons and elemental. You can do it now with some points in grizzly, but it's interesting to look at before introduction of flat immunities and +50% hp monsters buff.
Guess i ll play around with mods a bit.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
He'll just respec again but now into helicopter. Fissure is not in particular random, works fine for most of the game.

And Druid is not even the best caster. He's average. Only good thing about his spells is some superb visuals. Still a more varied and better character than poor Barbo - in the current patches/era, anyway.

Reason why I wanted to try play 1.07/anything before synergies is to actually try and play, say, Druid without synergies; like a summon skill and lycanthropy, or summons and elemental. You can do it now with some points in grizzly, but it's interesting to look at before introduction of flat immunities and +50% hp monsters buff.
Guess i ll play around with mods a bit.
I do agree that visuals are awesome which is even more of a shame that spells themselves kind of suck.

Thal

Prophet

vota DC

Augur
I remember mostly shapeshift with a little of summoning, but my gear was bad and I haven't paladin skills like holy shield to keep alive my werewolf so I used a little army of wolves...also I think there Is the summon that give you aura, the one that destroy corpses and the crows that blind so some points on summon are always useful.

Olinser

Savant
So yeah, I got kind of careless and trolly, and ended up killing my lvl 75 bone necro.

Rest in pieces my friend.

Do I start a new hardcore blizzard sorc, or do I put the game down until ladder launches?

Such is the peril of the times.

'Until ladder launches'.

Don't worry comrade, it's scheduled for release RIGHT after the Warcraft 3 ranked ladder.

Perkel

Arcane
Reason why I wanted to try play 1.07/anything before synergies is to actually try and play, say, Druid without synergies

synergies were added before LOD. So Druid was designed with them in mind. Aka no Druid without synergies.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Synergies is 1.10, although druid had synergies between pets I think, and to this day there is that strange thing, that +skills count as hard points for his pets synergies.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Rabies Werewolf was always fun for a Druid build, especially to rape the unsuspecting in PVP.

m_s0

Arcane
HC looks cool. Pity I have shit net. Carrier Pidgeons are faster.
At this point you could be playing this smack in the middle of Silicon Valley and it still wouldn't have helped. People were reporting that even their offline characters were disappearing. Not to mention characters stuck in games you're no longer in. Russian roulette squared on HC until VV/Activision fix this.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

Holy shit, this game is so much better than Diablo 3, it's not even funny. It is legitimately sad.

I'm in Maggot Lair under the Far Oasis, with all of the narrow tunnels, just rolling my huge flaming rock down these hallways, absolutely crushing the fuck out of everything. Like bowling for shitheads. There is nothing in D3 that is even remotely satisfying as this is, or as fun.

Fissures is fucking nuts, too. I don't think I ever played a pure elemental Druid before, the spells are not bad on this difficulty. I'm putting points in summoning just to have a doggo friend and eventually the bear (because bears are great, and if I could have a pet bear, I would).

This is a 20 fucking year old game. With the exception of WoW, it's more fun than anything Blizzard has done since. Ridiculous.

d1r

Patron

Holy shit, this game is so much better than Diablo 3, it's not even funny. It is legitimately sad.

I'm in Maggot Lair under the Far Oasis, with all of the narrow tunnels, just rolling my huge flaming rock down these hallways, absolutely crushing the fuck out of everything. Like bowling for shitheads. There is nothing in D3 that is even remotely satisfying as this is, or as fun.

Fissures is fucking nuts, too. I don't think I ever played a pure elemental Druid before, the spells are not bad on this difficulty. I'm putting points in summoning just to have a doggo friend and eventually the bear (because bears are great, and if I could have a pet bear, I would).

This is a 20 fucking year old game. With the exception of WoW, it's more fun than anything Blizzard has done since. Ridiculous.

Took you some time, huh?

copebot

Learned
HC looks cool. Pity I have shit net. Carrier Pidgeons are faster.
At this point you could be playing this smack in the middle of Silicon Valley and it still wouldn't have helped. People were reporting that even their offline characters were disappearing. Not to mention characters stuck in games you're no longer in. Russian roulette squared on HC until VV/Activision fix this.

I didn't play on launch day, but it has been performing way better than olde D2 on B.net does as of a few days ago. HC has been fine.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

Took you some time, huh?

I don't understand the question.

d1r

Patron

Took you some time, huh?

Just bamboozled by the fact that you never bothered to play Diablo 2 with all the praise it got, but went straight for Diablo 3.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

Took you some time, huh?

Just bamboozled by the fact that you never bothered to play Diablo 2 with all the praise it got, but went straight for Diablo 3.

I played Diablo 2 for years. I had hundreds, maybe thousands, of hours of playtime logged over two deployments. If you're bamboozled, it's because you're assuming things about people you don't know.

d1r

Patron

Took you some time, huh?

I played Diablo 2 for years. I had hundreds, maybe thousands, of hours of playtime logged over two deployments. If you're bamboozled, it's because you're assuming things about people you don't know.

Your writing style implied that you never played Diablo 2 before, imo. But guess that was not the case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom