Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Maritime Calling - Age of Discovery ship captain simulator RPG

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Tell us what you think about it so we could improve further.

Some feedback:

1) The top of the page is important and right now it is being filled up with a discord link (too big and too unimportant) and this quote which doesn't make much sense:

“The best catch that has made me woo is that even a nonexperienced guy can make the wave turn around, so keeping a reserve for getting the best men will not work all the time.” Amit Bhattacharjee, Techvicity.com

2) The soundtrack sample should probably also go into the game description, because nobody will click on it before learning what the game is about first.

3) The video is pretty good, though I would start at 0:28 to get right into it and show off some of the best graphics and mechanics right away, instead of watching the not-so-greatly drawn old guy for half a minute - waiting for information on the actual game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

TiamatGames

Tiamat Games
Developer
the exploration and sailing mode.
What happens to the combat?

We have just added a new update, covering the combat
combat.jpg

Is the map the real world or randomly generated? I could see it working either way.

Guides (small islands that didn't play a major role in the history, reefs, and shoals) and procedurally generated, while everything else is based on geographical data.

Can I play as Spain?

We plan to add this option later on. However, the gameplay experience is going to be very different compared to England and France. Instead of being an underdog in the enemy territory aiming to secure new bases, you will work towards growing and expanding the reach of the Spanish Empire.

TiamatGames

Tiamat Games
Developer
Some feedback:

1) The top of the page is important and right now it is being filled up with a discord link (too big and too unimportant) and this quote which doesn't make much sense:

“The best catch that has made me woo is that even a nonexperienced guy can make the wave turn around, so keeping a reserve for getting the best men will not work all the time.” Amit Bhattacharjee, Techvicity.com

2) The soundtrack sample should probably also go into the game description, because nobody will click on it before learning what the game is about first.

3) The video is pretty good, though I would start at 0:28 to get right into it and show off some of the best graphics and mechanics right away, instead of watching the not-so-greatly drawn old guy for half a minute - waiting for information on the actual game.

From the FAQ:

I think you should mention combat right on the description page, because right now it looks like there is none.

Noted, thank you! We changed the order of the blocks and added the combat part.

TiamatGames

Tiamat Games
Developer
Ok, so we are done with updating our materials, the last bit was a video about us.

Now let's hope that we will get our backers so we could make this game.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It looks interesting enough to pledge some shekels although this one screen of galleon looks like from other genre (Sea Dogs series), also add Dutch (they have colonies there to this very date) and Spanish to mix, is this game about simulation of single crew and its ship or more about colony running management, or 4X with goal of taking over other colonies too? Don't mind simple graphics if game play will be interesting enough Comrades. Also would love if someone made game about Russian sea exploration of Alaska and western coast of America, sure it was bit later (XVIII and XIX century as opposed to XVI/XVII) but was fascinating too and sadly no western developers would touch.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
It looks interesting enough to pledge some shekels although this one screen of galleon looks like from other genre (Sea Dogs series), also add Dutch (they have colonies there to this very date) and Spanish to mix, is this game about simulation of single crew and its ship or more about colony running management, or 4X with goal of taking over other colonies too? Don't mind simple graphics if game play will be interesting enough Comrades. Also would love if someone made game about Russian sea exploration of Alaska and western coast of America, sure it was bit later (XVIII and XIX century as opposed to XVI/XVII) but was fascinating too and sadly no western developers would touch.

YES WHERE IS MY RUSSIAN COLONIZATION GAME. Since I read that book about Alexander Baranov I have DREAMED of playing a game based on his life.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maritime Law is now Maritime Calling. New Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiamatgames/maritime-calling-seafaring-rogue-lite-adventure

key_features.png

• In-depth ship control - Directly control your ship, including steering, sails, rigging and make sure you avoid shoals or capsize the ship.
  • Diverse world - Explore the procedurally generated world full on diverse features: many types of islands, reefs, shoals and stormy regions.
  • Life on board of a ship - Set your crew shifts, plan provisions, repair hull damages and manage moods of the crew.
  • RPG flavour - Manage the diverse characters of your crew, each with its own traits and attributes and solve petty conflicts between them.
  • Across the frontier - Explore the frontier waters of far edges of the world. Chart the lands, lead expeditions inland and prove yourself by finding luxury resources and claiming the land for your country.
  • Inland expeditions - Solve mysteries, gather resources and interact with suspicious native in a classic text quest narrative adventure.
  • Customize and upgrade your ship [WIP] - Choose the areas on which to specialize and develop your ship to withstand the harshest times.
  • Play at your own speed - Pause the game at any moment and take your time to evaluate your strategy and crew commands.
  • Defeat the filthy pirates - Fire the cannons, manage crew battle plans and lead the charge of your boarding crew.
  • No second chances! - When you die, there's no coming back. The constant threat of defeat adds importance and tension to every action.

Last edited:

TiamatGames

Tiamat Games
Developer
Thank you very much for this post:) We are live, breathing and expanding. Over the last year made a huge progress in developing the game.

Now looking for community endorsement and support on Kickstarter :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1473740/view/2953785617737816059

Maritime Calling Beta is here!

We are delighted to announce that our development cycle is approaching release (on September, 28th) with open beta lasting until the end of the week (August, 29th). You can play beta by hitting "Playtest" on our steam page.

Over the last couple months we worked hard to bring new exciting features to you!

New feature: naval combat
You can now fight real-time naval battles! Enemy ships are fully simulated and operate the same way you do. You will be required to maneuver your ship, fire cannons, watch out for your positioning to get the strongest shots, give captain orders boosting your stats and shoot at specific targets: just sinking enemy ship by destroying it's hull or destroying their guns so they can't fight back or demoralizing them and making sure they surrender.
889f0d8653ea0afd91afba19dfbb4f993acb5630.png

New feature: revamped island expeditions
We gathered feedback regarding 'kickstarter-campaign-version-islands' and come up with a better design for expeditions. The islands are now shorter and form a path to the 'center' of the island. Every location contains unknown encounter, that is driven by its terrain (like you can find boars on glades or river in the forest). Text encounters are now shorter and more mechanical (with attribute checks and items usage) and crew is back to being the cornerstone of your expedition success.
095268d698cf04a3b1ec13c9b6a2d206e5cb8236.png

New workplaces: blacksmith and carpenter
Blacksmith and carpenter play a key role is survival aspect of Maritime Calling. They provide a way of crafting ammunition for naval combat and items for expeditions: axes, cuirasses and muskets.
5c3d3437415868471985380b1349d853b9426cde.png

That's all for today! We are currently striving for feedback, so if you try out Maritime Calling Beta, please leave your reviews on our community hub.

Ehrenmann

Actually looks interesting. I am something of a pirate myself so I don't often pay for games, but I am willing to make an exception for such a small passionate dev team.

This game also gives me Guild 2 vibes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
combat.jpg

That actually looks cool as shit. I just went ahead and bought your game based solely on this screen shot.

Edit: And I'm a blind idiot who hyper focused on the HUD and didn't see the big red "concept art" stamp. Fucks sake...

Last edited:

Ehrenmann

combat.jpg

That actually looks cool as shit. I just went ahead and bought your game based solely on this screen shot.

Edit: And I'm a blind idiot who hyper focused on the HUD and didn't see the big red "concept art" stamp. Fucks sake...
Did you try it out?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom