Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was Desiderius banned?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Like for example insisting that the game as designed (by both Paizo to Owlcat) is set up so that you don't need to munchkinize even for higher level play, and that most single classes are good, and even the companions are built well, if you look for and rely more on team synergies - is that true? I don't know, but it's one of many interesting things he said.

I can only speak for Kingmaker, but for that game I 100% agree with both points. I haven't played a class in Kingmaker that is bad, but then I haven't played all of them. Oddly enough the classes I've heard shit talked the most on YouTube and Reddit are actually some of the strongest. Like the sword saint and the rogue. It's a very flexible system and people "optimize" in idiosyncratic ways. I can't fathom why so many people say to make Valerie a bard. Is that just a meme? She's clearly statted to be a tank/intimidate build.

As for the companions (in Kingmaker), they are all reasonably built for a party based game. In my recent modded ironman attempt my biggest struggle was how the mod author respecced the companions. It was interesting, but it made the game a lot harder and I don't think it was just because I was unused to their classes. They were all built like main characters, not team members. The default party has really good coverage of skills and roles, and it's easy to put together a really strong group without needing to rely on mercenaries. They aren't minmaxed, but they are very reasonably statted for their classes. Not having a 20 in their main stat isn't the deal breaker people act like it is. From the mid game onward Kingmaker makes it rain with stat boosting loot, so they all get the job done very well if you don't only buy good stuff for your main.

That was my biggest gripe about CoTW, and its why the ironman run I'm playing currently doesn't use that mod (the LP will start when I get my barony).

Desiderius was just a fanboy. Fanboys sometimes get too riled up about their precious things.

Yeah he should have got that tag, not a banning. All the beta testers should have for not warning us.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Don't act so smug Crispy, it's indecorous since it wasn't you who pulled the trigger but VentilatorOfDoom. So, VoD, what's up brother? Why you feel the need to shoot desuman all of the sudden?
Because he got on my nerves. Every day I have the wade through dozens of posts of his drivel when reading a thread that is of interest to me in GRPG. Because that's all what this guy does - producing a 100 posts a day, every day, telling all of you how retarded you are.
It takes a while to annoy me. It doesn't happen within a couple of posts. But after watching the shenanigans of that obnoxious idiot for a couple of weeks, today was the day when I was finally fed up. He could have taken the hint when I posted my warning and toned it down a bit but he decided not to. And now he's gone (for a month). If you think about it, I'm actually helping him. The RPGCodex clearly is too dumb for him and now he has the opportunity to spend his time among a worthier audience.

You've outright admitted to abusing your mod powers to ban someone for no reason other than they personally irritate you. Take a look at this thread. Nobody supports what you did. The only person who wanted this user gone is you. You got butthurt and reached for your banhammer.

Being a forum mod isn't a lofty position, but it's still a position of authority with a tacit expectation that you won't abuse that authority. Apparently that's too much for you to handle. How old are you? What is your position in life? I sure hope it isn't a managerial role because if you can't stop yourself from abusing such limited power I'd hate to see what you'd do with real authority.

On the positive side, I will say I genuinely respect and appreciate you being forthright and honest. You've admitted what you did and why you did it. That's more than some would do. The next step is to unban him and apologize to him privately for losing your temper.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Like for example insisting that the game as designed (by both Paizo to Owlcat) is set up so that you don't need to munchkinize even for higher level play, and that most single classes are good, and even the companions are built well, if you look for and rely more on team synergies - is that true? I don't know, but it's one of many interesting things he said.

I can only speak for Kingmaker, but for that game I 100% agree with both points. I haven't played a class in Kingmaker that is bad, but then I haven't played all of them. Oddly enough the classes I've heard shit talked the most on YouTube and Reddit are actually some of the strongest. Like the sword saint and the rogue. It's a very flexible system and people "optimize" in idiosyncratic ways. I can't fathom why so many people say to make Valerie a bard. Is that just a meme? She's clearly statted to be a tank/intimidate build.

As for the companions (in Kingmaker), they are all reasonably built for a party based game. In my recent modded ironman attempt my biggest struggle was how the mod author respecced the companions. It was interesting, but it made the game a lot harder and I don't think it was just because I was unused to their classes. They were all built like main characters, not team members. The default party has really good coverage of skills and roles, and it's easy to put together a really strong group without needing to rely on mercenaries. They aren't minmaxed, but they are very reasonably statted for their classes. Not having a 20 in their main stat isn't the deal breaker people act like it is. From the mid game onward Kingmaker makes it rain with stat boosting loot, so they all get the job done very well if you don't only buy good stuff for your main.

That was my biggest gripe about CoTW, and its why the ironman run I'm playing currently doesn't use that mod (the LP will start when I get my barony).

Desiderius was just a fanboy. Fanboys sometimes get too riled up about their precious things.

Yeah he should have got that tag, not a banning. All the beta testers should have for not warning us.

The idiosyncratic companions in COTW are just a feature you can easily turn off with a "false" flag in an .ini in the mod folder (before you start a new game). You don't have to ditch the whole mod just to avoid that.

He really should have that off by default, it's quite irritating.

...Not that I would critique OwlCat, as we are not allowed to critique OwlCat on RPGCodex. To critique OwlCat would be political and we aren't allowed to be political.
Praise OwlCat.
Thank you anon! You are a good anon!
J6nR18U.jpg

FriendlyMerchant

I can't fathom why so many people say to make Valerie a bard. Is that just a meme? She's clearly statted to be a tank/intimidate build.

Bard doesn't take away from her tanking ability. After all Dirge first, Disploom second = scared enemies with no checks. Now she can do something on top of just tanking and displooming+dirge like provide a +4 to attack buff or +4 to dodge AC buff while tanking and using mirror image/greater invisibility to make her even better at tanking.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
That was my biggest gripe about CoTW, and its why the ironman run I'm playing currently doesn't use that mod
AFAIK you can disable the companion changes in the settings file.

Yeah another poster said as much. I found that file last night and started a new run. Was gonna start a LP of it when I got my barony. Then Thornton Stoutbriar the halfling inquisitor of Cayden Callean failed a perception check and got instantly killed by a fireball trap. God dammit. Will try again with Linnorn the Dhampir sword saint.

Percy

Cipher
The internet has spoken.
Enjoy your jew aids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom