Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was Ontopoly banned?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is getting to be beyond a joke.
Do you want to hear a joke? Kike nigger faggot nigger faggot kike lololol faggot nigger kike ma free speeches lolololol

Oh DU protect me DU I want to say kike nigger faggot in every post I make on the rpg Codex. Oh you might get in trouble with the law for that? And asked to hand over my ip address? Fuck no what are you doing. Go die on a hill for me. Lololol kike nigger faggot. I'm going to post in Site Feedback and be a retard to everyone, insult every staff member here and insist you give me attention. Lololool.

And you think I'm the one trying to be funny.

How do you know Kike? I mean she won Ms. Olympia back in the early 80s, but I don't think she has that Schwarzenegger fame?

Ritva Tuulikki "Kike" Elomaa
[1][4] (née Sainio; born 16 July 1955, in Lokalahti) is a Finnish professional female bodybuilding champion, pop singer, and member of the Finnish Parliament.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritva_Elomaa

1981:
kike-elomaa-1-jpg.129805

Today:
Kike-thumb2.jpg

Ehrenmann

Has the council made up their minds about the future of cuckdex?
Isn't it obvious? They have chosen systematic genocide of the userbase.
The most codexian way to go into the light.
But what is an rpg?
This question can be answered only when DarkUnderlord's plan to exterminate 6 million codex users has been completed. Then, when he remains atop the ruins alone he will pronounce the unanimous definition of an rpg.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You know what I think is going on? All this sudden change? It's not some law thing...

It's a GIRL thing, isn't it? DU has a GIRLFRIEND doesn't he? Think about it: what could change the nature of a man? PUSSY, baby! Cold, hard, raw, SLOPPIN' WET pussy! MM-MM!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You know what I think is going on? All this sudden change? It's not some law thing...

It's a GIRL thing, isn't it? DU has a GIRLFRIEND doesn't he? Think about it: what could change the nature of a man? PUSSY, baby! Cold, hard, raw, SLOPPIN' WET pussy! MM-MM!

No socialization allowed in Australia though, how would this even be possible.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He deleted his own posts, not someone else's, right? Is there an Australian law against deleting databases? I utterly fail to understanding how this is such a big deal.

It can hypothetically cause forum software issues but the reasons given are https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ed-to-quit-his-job.123574/page-8#post-5763376 https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ed-to-quit-his-job.123574/page-8#post-5763395

First he deletes his own posts, next thing you know he's deleting other peoples' posts when they post evidence of his misdeeds. Cutting off the slippery slope before it slides.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
JarlFrank is a good dude. He didn't do anything wrong regarding Realms Beyond other than for some odd reason steadfastly refuse to eradicate all traces of swastikas on his profile here at Codex and links to some Nazi-related artwork on his Deviant Art account which was easily searchable. Although my bringing attention to the former occurred only here on RPG Codex and only within the RB thread itself, someone else ran with it outside of Codex and he got "caught" with the other stuff which I guess led to the company wanting to cut ties with him.

Regarding his actions here as an admin, I believe he was just trying to cover his tracks. It was bad judgment then, it was bad judgment not to just clean up his online profile, and he unfortunately paid the price for those choices.

He's still young. He's learned from it. He doesn't even really hold a grudge against me about my very limited involvement with that stuff here (why would he?).

But I don't think DU is ever going to trust him again.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The fact that deleting your posts doesn't really delete them actually makes me extremely unconformable. There is no reason for deleted items to still be sitting around in a database. XenForo seems to collect way too much data on the users. It should be more like modern image board software where nothing that's not strictly necessary is stored. Admins shouldn't even be able to see the IP address of users. You should be able to tell who is posting from the same IP or whatever, but not what the actual IP is. If the feds come busting down an admin's door because someone did something stupid that admin should be able to say "I don't have their data" without lying.

This is all stuff I'm looking into while researching forum software for my own site.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
This is getting to be beyond a joke.
Do you want to hear a joke? Kike nigger faggot nigger faggot kike lololol faggot nigger kike ma free speeches lolololol

Oh DU protect me DU I want to say kike nigger faggot in every post I make on the rpg Codex. Oh you might get in trouble with the law for that? And asked to hand over my ip address? Fuck no what are you doing. Go die on a hill for me. Lololol kike nigger faggot. I'm going to post in Site Feedback and be a retard to everyone, insult every staff member here and insist you give me attention. Lololool.

And you think I'm the one trying to be funny.

I'm no fan of Ontopoly, but why can't we separate the risk of actual legal injury from injury to ego?

Incorporate the Codex elsewhere.
Because time and time again, the users that choose to get personal are the ones that are choosing to cause us as many problems as they can. It's telling that the first thing to happen is, once again, for someone to reach out to our hosting provider and complain about all the horrible nasty slurs. Probably which that user themselves posted from their VPN.

If this is going to become a hive of shit-posting VPN users who hold the threat of causing us as many problems as they can, from their own shit-posting, then we'll have no choice but to purge the userbase.

It's one thing to be sitting here and screaming mah free speeches, it's entirely another to then directly use that in an attempt to take down a place that you apparently cherish. At that point, this isn't about free speech, it's about trolling and causing damage because trolololol.

Not once in the site's history have any of our problems been the result of a complaint from a legitimate user with an issue. It's all been the shit-posters themselves. And if those idiots are going to start causing me legitimate legal problems, then their rights to exist here have expired.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's telling that the first thing to happen is, once again, for someone to reach out to our hosting provider and complain about all the horrible nasty slurs. Probably which that user themselves posted from their VPN.

Has this happened again recently? I know jcd(?) had tried last year.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So Ontopoly used a VPN and threatened to report the codex to the host? What a bastard. He deserved his banning.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So Ontopoly used a VPN and threatened to report the codex to the host? What a bastard. He deserved his banning.
Judging from personality?
I think he might have been referring to Fork.
Ontopoly seemed harmless, but who knows.

That does sound perfectly in character for Fork. If he comes back I wonder what his excuse will be this time.

He tried to play his edginess off in the suicide thread as knowing "suicidal" people. Maybe he'll claim to be friends with people who were victims of racism?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The fact that deleting your posts doesn't really delete them actually makes me extremely unconformable. There is no reason for deleted items to still be sitting around in a database.
It's a precaution because we have had users who in the past have deleted a bunch of stuff which ruined threads, changed the context of replies, or caused issues in some way or another. There is (or perhaps used to be) a technical issue where the thread wouldn't repaginate and if someone went through and deleted all their posts in a thread, the whole thread would end up fucked and wouldn't load correctly. And cases where someone created a thread which went off topic to something else and the creator deleted the thread because lols.

XenForo seems to collect way too much data on the users. It should be more like modern image board software where nothing that's not strictly necessary is stored. Admins shouldn't even be able to see the IP address of users. You should be able to tell who is posting from the same IP or whatever, but not what the actual IP is. If the feds come busting down an admin's door because someone did something stupid that admin should be able to say "I don't have their data" without lying.
Under the recent Australian law decision, that doesn't matter. YOU will be held accountable for what anybody posts on your site, regardless of whether you've even read it or not. So I can post a bomb threat on your image board and potentially you get to serve jail time, unless you're willing to hand over the user and perhaps even if you do.

And it's potentially going to get worse: Federal Government considers ID checks to ban anonymous social media accounts including Facebook and Tinder

Australians may be forced to prove who they are before creating social media accounts online, in a bid to crackdown on high-tech harassment and abuse.

Under radical reforms being considered by the Federal Government, Australians may have to submit 100 points of identification — such as a driver’s licence or passport — before setting up a social media account.

Under the proposed reforms, Australians could not create or maintain a Facebook, Instagram or Twitter page until they could prove their identity.

Online dating services like Tinder and Bumble would also need to verify users, in a bid to crackdown on people making anonymous accounts.

It’s hoped the reforms will stamp out bullying, trolling, harassment, stalking and abuse online.

The measures, if introduced, would make people liable for defamation or even criminal prosecution for their activity online — something that has previously been difficult to prosecute.

“In order to open or maintain an existing social media account, customers should be required by law to identify themselves to a platform using 100 points of identification, in the same way as a person must provide identification for a mobile phone account, or to buy a mobile SIM card,’ a parliamentary committee’s report says.

“Social media platforms must provide those identifying details when requested by the eSafety Commissioner, law enforcement or as directed by a court.

“The Government should consider regulating to enable law enforcement agencies to access a platform’s end-to-end encrypted data, by warrant, in matters involving a threat to the physical or mental wellbeing of an individual or in cases of national security.

“There should be a substantial increase in criminal and civil penalties for technology-facilitated abuse to act as a greater deterrent for errant behaviour.’’

Australians are currently not required to prove their identity on most online platforms, but ‘verify’ an account through an email address or phone number.

Dating accounts, like Tinder, ask users to ‘verify’ their identity but linking their profile to a social media account.

The report is currently being considered by the Federal Government.

The report was Inquiry into family, domestic and sexual violence.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So wait, is this a JarlFrank/Realms Beyond thread now? We haven't had one of those in a while.

Not once in the site's history have any of our problems been the result of a complaint from a legitimate user with an issue. It's all been the shit-posters themselves. And if those idiots are going to start causing me legitimate legal problems, then their rights to exist here have expired.
I understand the urge to ban users who have been problematic in the past when they start to behave erratically, but to the best of my knowledge users like Fedora Master and Ontopoly have never threatened or even thought of threatening this place. They are just random civilian casualties fallen to prove a point. Can't say anything about Bester (he kind of looks like a hothead), but his threads are always insightful and he adds something interesting to our community, so he definitely isn't just a shitposter.

But let's go back to the Realms Beyond thing, I know Jarl gets sad when we forget about it for too long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom