Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outer Wilds - outer space camping trip game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I played through what I expect to be most of it yesterday and it's good. Much smaller in scope than the game, just a tasty treat after the main course.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I played through what I expect to be most of it yesterday and it's good. Much smaller in scope than the game, just a tasty treat after the main course.
I saw some negative steam reviews that say a large part of the dlc is more of a horror/ stumbling around in the dark simulator than anything in the main game. Can you confirm? Because that sounds pretty bad, but it could just be steam reviewers being idiots.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I saw some negative steam reviews that say a large part of the dlc is more of a horror/ stumbling around in the dark simulator than anything in the main game. Can you confirm? Because that sounds pretty bad, but it could just be steam reviewers being idiots.
Can confirm idiots. There are a handful of light-based puzzles and that's about it.

"Horror" is just a couple of :prosper: moments, all packed at the beginning.

EDIT: there are 2 stealth sections on maps you have visited before. And due to some new mechanic they're less punishing than the motherfucking Anglefish.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the DLC is fantastic so far. the usual goodness condensed into 1 location, I just learned how to use the torch and reveal
you can explore the memories and the stranger's homeworld

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I played the dlc for like 2 hours.

It's so fucking beautiful. I had no idea how much I've wanted to play this ever since I read
Encounter with Rama.
:salute:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
So I think I beat the dlc
I faced what lies inside the sealed sarcophogus, but then I just wound up walking around with no idea what to do except reset the loop. I expected some kind of ship log update or achievement, so I am not sure if I just missed something. I did see the vision stick that appears on the beach afterwards.
But it is slightly hard to tell.

Overall great dlc. I think it clocked about 9 hours for me, whereas the base game was around 12, so it really is a hefty bit of content for the price. The design of the new world was the highlight for me and the stealth sections were the only part I didn't like. Stumbling around in pure darkness with no sound or any kind of feedback if I'm moving forward or grinding against a wall is not a good gameplay mechanic*, even if it is very atmospheric. Was also very glad to see that the dlc dodged the biggest weakness of the base game (the writing). I would have preferred more flying with the ship, a more definite ending and less low light areas (I often felt like the flashlight would provide almost no light even with the wall 2m away). But these are basically nitpicks in an extremely solid expansion. You'd have to have some very specific hatreds/phobias to dislike the dlc if you liked the base game.

pakoito complained about anglerfish earlier, and I much prefer those because anglerfish move slower than your ship once you've picked up speed, which means you can play high speed 3d racing with them if you dislike the stealth. There's no such alternative to the stealth sections in the dlc.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
pakoito complained about anglerfish earlier, and I much prefer those because anglerfish move slower than your ship once you've picked up speed, which means you can play high speed 3d racing with them if you dislike the stealth. There's no such alternative to the stealth sections in the dlc.
That's how I did the stealth sections, feint to a side then run from the other.

Last edited:

hackncrazy

Savant
I finished the DLC and I'm really glad with what they achieved.

The fact that it is now a Myst-like puzzle game without a single word of lore (and yet with a very interesting story) shows how these devs knows their shit. Also, the fact that the game is so open ended (I think I've already seen like 10 different routes from the one I did) without making players getting stuck also shows their competence.

Just like everyone else, I disliked the stealth areas. Funnily enough, vanilla OW was terrifying to me, with places like Giant's Deep being a complete nightmare. They tried to force a bit of horror with the stealth sections even thought the DLC was creepy enough.

So I played the dlc for like 2 hours.

It's so fucking beautiful. I had no idea how much I've wanted to play this ever since I read
Encounter with Rama.
:salute:

Yep, same book came instantly to me the instant I saw the ship. I'm even planning a reread after playing this.

Oh, and about the ending:

It seems that indeed the vision that the prisoner leaves to you is the end of the DLC. It seems that this also triggers a different ending if you go again through the main game one (Ash Twin Project > Dark Bramble > Eye), but I had no energy to do that again so I just watched it on YT

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.mobiusdigitalgames.com/blog/patch-1112-is-now-available

Patch 1.1.12 Is now available
12/18/2021

3 Comments

Outer Wilds Patch 12 is now available! For all of you who might want to play Echoes of the Eye during the holidays, we updated and polished portions of the expansion and fixed a number of bugs on all platforms. The patch may take a little longer to publish on XBOX but should go live shortly.

Patch 1.1.12 Changes:

Gameplay
  • Significant changes to Endless Canyon level design
  • Changes to Starlit Cove level design
  • Fixed bugs and buffed certain behaviors during dark sequences (to clarify intended design)
  • Made it more obvious that party crashers have nowhere to hide
  • Significant revisions to several mid-game clues
  • Revised several elements of a certain tower puzzle
  • Certain locks in Echoes of the Eye now visibly open when released elsewhere
  • Updated/fixed several ship logs and their associated pictures
  • Made it more difficult to skip dark sequences by surviving certain falls

Tech
  • Fix for softlocks when meditating in various situations
  • If the input save fails to load, the game will reset to default settings
  • Removed a duplicate cosmic event from the map
  • Potential fix for stray Brittle Hollow chunks
  • Optimized rendering of Echoes of the Eye characters
  • CPU optimizations for Echoes of the Eye scripts
  • Fix for the player ending up in an unexpected place when falling into the water during a transition
  • Fix for a water body not being visible in the Scout's view under certain circumstances
  • Fix for a particular moon locator being oriented backwards
  • Fixes to various visual and physics bugs caused by leaving your Little Scout in certain locations
  • Fixing a bug where you could obtain You'll Never Take Me Alive achievement without the Echoes of the Eye expansion
  • Added evidence of a day/night cycle to a certain location
  • Fix to a bug where rafts were floating in outer space
  • Certain elevators and islands do not disappear anymore when a certain cosmic event happens
  • Additional visual effects added for Echoes of the Eye characters
  • Fix for a softlock caused by the player being able to drop an item in an end game situation
  • Fade effects added for entering certain tunnels in an alternative view mode
  • Visual improvements to a few specific windows on the Stranger
  • Fix for undesirable behavior when entering vision torches at an unusual angle
  • Standing under a particular elevator now kills the player more reliably
  • Minor fixes to base game end sequence
  • Stars in a certain location now respond to a specific event
  • Fix for a certain group of trees in the Stranger not always having collision

Art
  • Fixed incorrectly inverted spacetime during a certain late-game story beat
  • Added visuals to lend sense of finality to Echoes of the Eye end sequence
  • Updates to several slide reels to improve clues
  • Updated several murals on the Stranger
  • Small visual fixes around the Stranger, Brittle Hollow and Quantum Moon

Localization
  • Numerous small fixes

PC Only Changes
  • Lowered mouse sensitivity minimum setting
  • Input rebinding save resiliency improved

That's the End of This Update

We're aware of other bugs on multiple platforms, particularly input issues, and are working to fix them in a future patch. We have updated our support page with common solutions to several of these bugs. We really appreciate the time some of you have taken to report these issues.

Thanks for your support and keep exploring!

Happy Holidays,

Mobius

I bought this recently plus expansion after having done a lot of (spoiler free) research on it. Don't know how this game slipped under my radar. (Crash)Landed on my first "planet" and I really like what I've seen so far, but I'll schedule a proper playthrough for some time later. I'm still too addicted chasing after Diamonds and building Lockers in Subnautica.

Ivan

Arcane
Playing this on GP and I'm split between enjoying the quirkier bits of exploration vs. the Myst like progression. Often times I forget what my goals since the level design for each locale is unique and interesting. That said, I often return to my ship or die and then go...ok, so what the fuck am I supposed to do? I've been reading the notes, but much like in a story where everyone is already dead (the Shock series comes to mind), I quickly forget who is who. At least I've met the living astro travelers.

Wonderful vistas, neat gameplay shifts, chill music. Gonna try to force my way to some kind of progression b/c I feel like I've visited all there is to see...

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The ship has a log that's basically the design document, and it indicates what clues you're missing and where those clues point to. It also lists all the clues per location, with indication if you missed one. Play catch'm'all and then sit with the log and try to make sense of all of it.

Wonderful vistas, neat gameplay shifts, chill music. Gonna try to force my way to some kind of progression b/c I feel like I've visited all there is to see...
Ice planet lab? Sun station? The core of the water planet? The ruins in Dark Bramble? The library near the black hole? Both hourglass's labs? Quantic moon's temple?

There is at least one secret/final location per planet, and they're hard to reach without a vital clue from another secret location. Hit me up on DM if you want hints.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm ready to suit up for another launch (after work)
I got stuck a couple of times myself, that's why I know just a hint is enough to give you direction.

Ivan

Arcane
Ok so I've got some theories (actually loving how the game plants seeds in your head to ruminate over as you go about your dad/sleep):
deep breath....
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

GD: found out how to get to the center, thanks to the note found in BH. Now, I don't know how to penetrate inside what's the center, but I know/think that Felspaar found a way to get there by consuming a Jellyfish (?). I tried the one in DB but that one had been long dead, even Felspaar cautioned about eating it. Then I thought about the frozen jellyfish on GD, perhaps there's a way to unfreeze it, then somehow interact with it?

DB: found Felspaar, honestly way too freaked out to thoroughly explore as sometimes those fuckers just creep up on me, WHILE IM GOING AT A SNAIL'S PACE, and eat me. Maybe this just plays into my phobia but jesus Christ is the horror done magnificently well in there

BH: I found the gravity launcher, found out that it can recall the shuttle that you find in the Interloper (found the source of the G.M. that wiped out our friends). Went inside the shuttle, found some controls with 3 possibilities, found that only one moves the shuttle toward space. I reckon I gotta accelerate right when the QM is within sight, but I've had trouble identifying exactly when this is

Ash Twins: found out about the weird rocks that teleport, really cool navigating the caverns and how their entrails ...change as you turn around.

Never found out how to land on ..Lantern? It seems so small and volcanic

Tried to land on the closest thing orbiting the Sun but found that it rotates way too fast for me to land on

All this to say that the game has definitely grown on me. It has organically piqued my curiosity time and time again. Love how visually distinct each locale is, and love how they designed the traversal bits across the planets. I'm sure that by the time I reach the end, I'll be wanting to buy the DLC.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Ok so I've got some theories (actually loving how the game plants seeds in your head to ruminate over as you go about your dad/sleep):
deep breath....
GD: found out how to get to the center, thanks to the note found in BH. Now, I don't know how to penetrate inside what's the center, but I know/think that Felspaar found a way to get there by consuming a Jellyfish (?). I tried the one in DB but that one had been long dead, even Felspaar cautioned about eating it. Then I thought about the frozen jellyfish on GD, perhaps there's a way to unfreeze it, then somehow interact with it?
Notice what you can do with the jellyfish in DB, what it tells you about their physiognomy, and how you can use that to your benefit.

Last edited:
Ok, I broke the universe

In the High energy lab, I was fucking around with the time-teleportation thingie. Dupped the scout and closed the holes by removing one of the cores. I was happy thinking I could use two scouts for some later objective, but instead space-time crack. GAME OVER.

The funny thing is the game crashed and killed my save just before that. They tried to warn me.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Ok, I broke the universe

In the High energy lab, I was fucking around with the time-teleportation thingie. Dupped the scout and closed the holes by removing one of the cores. I was happy thinking I could use two scouts for some later objective, but instead space-time crack. GAME OVER.

The funny thing is the game crashed and killed my save just before that. They tried to warn me.
Remember this info.

MapMan

Arcane
I finished the main game and am now playing through DLC. Great game tbh fam fr fr.

Infinitum

Scholar
Just finished the base game, downloading the DLC now. Great exploration game/light puzzler, really scratrched the Subnautica itch and they really nailed the central mysteries. Nice pacing, use of red herrings etc. Managed to go through it blind (except for doublechecking the final solution before doing the thing to the Thing) so don't expect myst-like puzzles or anything, but who needs those when there's a sense of wonder to be had? 14 hours well spent (except for the 4 or so repeatedly slipping into the black hole. Still).

Perkel

Arcane
ehh, tried to get into it and so far it looks to me like walking simulator. The start of game is shit that's for sure. Flied to some planet died to invisible ghost wall and it sent me back to game start where i had to again fucking walk to get launch codes after which i altF4 it.

Subnautica it ain't.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
ehh, tried to get into it and so far it looks to me like walking simulator. The start of game is shit that's for sure. Flied to some planet died to invisible ghost wall and it sent me back to game start where i had to again fucking walk to get launch codes after which i altF4 it.

Subnautica it ain't.
You can go up the elevator without the codes starting from the second loop. It's one of the few things with permanence. At least complete a full loop.

Codex Year of the Donut

Subnautica it ain't.
reddit game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom