Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is way worse than I remember it.

Lmao. I "hid" my post, because it was the length of half the thread, keep coping though. The only reason I continue to rate your posts is so others will know that they're dealing with a retard, and won't have to suffer by reading any more of the shit you post.

The boomer bitch runs away, tail tucked in between his legs. Not surprised. I cuck faggots like you IRL, now it seems I've gone virtual. You can refer to me as bull now.
:positive:

It is cute you get this worked up about video games. And let me guess, when you "cuck faggots IRL" everybody starts clapping too? :lol:

Also I don't think anybody scrolls down to the bottom of a post to vet the sticker section before deciding to read, but I could be wrong ;)

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You made me your bitch so now I'm going to say you're worked up so I can cope
Don't worry little boy, I am a benevolent god. Whatever keeps you from jumping off a bridge, suicide is a sin you know?
And let me guess, when you "cuck faggots IRL" everybody starts clapping too?
The only clapping is from your cheeks when I'm 8 inches into your ass. And don't act like you don't love that shit faggot.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
My problem is I get pretty immersed in just about any game. Unless the interface is really really anoying and bad RT, I can generally adapt. I don't usually finish a game right off but start making different alts if possible if try something weird. Lunar Silver Star; I made sure I didn't get a party member and grinded mobs in that first shitty area until level 30sh or 40sh. Its pretty ridiculous what you don't achieve (damn scripted games with sequences you have to fulfill). FO1-2/Arc and probably UR could each occupy me for a long long long long damn time.

I never even tried the mod FO1.5 but I have been mulling it over.

If UR comes out with more content, I'll probably pick it up. I just say FO is FO and UR is UR and leave it at that. What all of those make me wonder is if there will be a game utilizing the best of each and other games. There's always room for improvement and its like a drug when games do hit a sweet spot and get better. Its always a hope the sequel or spin-off will be GOTY material or better, IMHO.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
If UR comes out with more content, I'll probably pick it up. I just say FO is FO and UR is UR and leave it at that. What all of those make me wonder is if there will be a game utilizing the best of each and other games. There's always room for improvement and its like a drug when games do hit a sweet spot and get better. Its always a hope the sequel or spin-off will be GOTY material or better, IMHO.
More content? There is already over a hundred hours worth of content in a single playthrough. And are you telling me you never played Underrail?

Codex Year of the Donut
The complaints about pop culture references in FO2 is always funny to me because I recognized only a handful at best each time I played it due to only having watched a couple movies/tv shows in my life.

Sykar

Arcane
The complaints about pop culture references in FO2 is always funny to me because I recognized only a handful at best each time I played it due to only having watched a couple movies/tv shows in my life.

The criticism is overblown. Also it is clear that the game lacked quality control with such a short development cycle. A lot of the criticism could have been avoided if 95% of the whacky shit like the bridge encounter were locked behind the "Wild Wateland" trait.
The criticism about the locations is also overblown, they are hardly any worse than Necropolis for example in FO 1 or Junktown.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
A lot of the criticism could have been avoided if 95% of the whacky shit like the bridge encounter were locked behind the "Wild Wateland" trait.
Meh. There is absolutely nothing wrong with special encounters having pop culture references. The Monty Python stuff in special encounters is absolutely fine in Fallout 2 if people are totally ok with Dr Who's TARDIS or the fresh giant dinosaur footprint in Fallout 1. A lot of people love to get their panties in a twist over the special encounters in 2 but are totally willing to give 1's a free pass for some reason. Other than that I mostly agree with what you're saying, the vast majority of the areas are fine in the setting.

Where Fallout 2 really drops the ball with the pop culture references is mainly San Francisco (which is all the way at the very end of the game, which it seems a lot of people who love to complain about Fallout 2's pop culture references never even played long enough to reach), and even there it's mainly the Hubologists and the Kung Fu stuff. The rest of San Francisco (tanker vagrants and the Shi) is mostly fine. New Reno's old timey mobster culture in my opinion gets a pass because it's one of the best areas in the game, with some of the best designed quests of the entire series.

Something I noticed recently was some YouTube e-celeb made a video and got upset that you can accidentally cover Modoc in shit in your search for Cornelius's pocket watch so now it's a fashionable opinion to hate on Fallout 2 for Modoc being LE SILLY area too, when in reality it's a town on the brink of starvation dealing with the potential hostile threat of underground molepeople nearby, but none of these people who parrot this shit have actually played Fallout 2. It's become extremely evident in recent years that people love having their opinions fed to them by e-celebs when it comes to how they should feel about Fallout 2 without even having played it.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The pop culture references are an easy and concrete thing to point at to represent what's gotten worse with Fallout 2, but it has never really been about that.

What's really the issue is cohesion. Of the setting, and of the plot. That's what's worse in FO2. Pop culture references kinda give that idea, of something that pops out and is out of place with regards to the setting and the tone. It's the same idea of lack of cohesion, but in a package that's easier to point at and understand, despite the problem being the idea it points at rather than simply the pop culture references themselves.

I never even tried the mod FO1.5 but I have been mulling it over.
I wouldn't bother man, the writing is even worse than Underrails, it's as if written by a 12 year old. Nevada/Sonora are your best bets.

More content? There is already over a hundred hours worth of content in a single playthrough. And are you telling me you never played Underrail?
This is like pretending achievement hunting adds any substance to any game. Yes, you can technically explore every corner of the world and kill every NPC, but it's just meaningless padding - especially when a lot of time is spent searching for arbitrarily placed oddities or finding components worth crafting with.

Something I noticed recently was some YouTube e-celeb made a video and got upset that you can accidentally cover Modoc in shit in your search for Cornelius's pocket watch so now it's a fashionable opinion to hate on Fallout 2 for Modoc being LE SILLY area too, when in reality it's a town on the brink of starvation dealing with the potential hostile threat of underground molepeople nearby, but none of these people who parrot this shit have actually played Fallout 2. It's become extremely evident in recent years that people love having their opinions fed to them by e-celebs when it comes to how they should feel about Fallout 2 without even having played it.
It's just nitpicking, stupid people love to parrot opinions they think are commonly held. The internet really ruined a lot of things, there's little mystery, satisfaction or skill required when everything has been gamed out and catalogued.

Feel free to post the video, I bet if you go through his previous ones you'll find blatant fanboying of terrible shit like oblivion with guns.

So I started 5 years and 4 months after you, and I'm already better at posting here than you are.

I looked up Finnish stereotypes but it seems like nobody really cares enough about the place to come up with any except "They love drinking and the sauna". So... go back to drinking Vodka in a steam room, Juhani. Also you've used up your monthly quota of communicating with people.

Action 52 had over 200 games! That's less than $4.00 a game! Grimoire has over 600 hours of content!

Yeah hundreds of hours of doing the exact same thing with a slightly different background is a shit defense. When people talk about content they don't mean reading a phone book for 10 hours.

Going back to the original topic, I played fallout 2 first, and it was the first game like it I had ever played. The (seemingly) wide open world, the (apparent) freedom to play your character however you saw fit, the unapologetic "realism" like slavery, prostitution, horrifying violence, etc... it blew me away. At the time, I was the right age for bioware humor to seem funny. So the stupid stuff didn't bother me at all.I really can't be objective when comparing it to FO1, as I played that way way later.

All I can say for sure is it wasn't like anything I'd played before. Looking back it's easy to see all its flaws, which it certainly has, but it seems silly to call it a bad game because of that.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Also you've used up your monthly quota of communicating with people.

That quota is reserved for untrustworthy people.

Also I love Fallout 2, but I won't deny that Underrail does cater to people who really love isometric combat. Different strokes for different folks.
Idk some people love multiple and various ways to do mindless killing in underground bases, some like to listen Sergeant Dornan as wake-up call to hit snooze button on their clocks.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Although this thread was started a while ago, I wanted to give myself a while to think about it, to avoid a knee jerk reaction. Now that I've had a chance to cool off and reflect logically, I'd just like to say:
Fuck you.

agris

Arcane
Patron
A lot of the criticism could have been avoided if 95% of the whacky shit like the bridge encounter were locked behind the "Wild Wateland" trait

There is no such trait in FO2, that’s from a game that came out 10 years later…

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Action 52 had over 200 games! That's less than $4.00 a game! Grimoire has over 600 hours of content!

Yeah hundreds of hours of doing the exact same thing with a slightly different background is a shit defense. When people talk about content they don't mean reading a phone book for 10 hours.
You're fucking retarded. Just to be clear, my point about there being over a hundred hours of content was not a point in favor of the game's quality. I was merely referring to the fact that Underrail has so much content already, what else could you be waiting for.

If you're trying to suggest Underrail doesn't actually have a hundred hours worth of content tied up in its DLC and base game, well again you're full of shit. Underrail is a big game where there is a ton of shit to do even if you follow the main quests. Your argument is nonsensical and based on pure butthurt and fanboy faggotry.

You're fucking retarded. Just to be clear, my point about there being over a hundred hours of content was not a point in favor of the game's quality. I was merely referring to the fact that Underrail has so much content already, what else could you be waiting for.

If you're trying to suggest Underrail doesn't actually have a hundred hours worth of content tied up in its DLC and base game, well again you're full of shit. Underrail is a big game where there is a ton of shit to do even if you follow the main quests. Your argument is nonsensical and based on pure butthurt and fanboy faggotry.
Lol, ok.

Underrail might have 10 billion hours of content, but it's all the same. It's ok, I can play fallout 2 when I want, and play underrail when I want. I don't even have to pick 1. You say the hours of content wasn't a point in favor of the game's quality, then immediately talk about 100s of hours of content.

However, even if underrail were the best game in the universe, you couldn't convince its biggest fan to agree with you, because you don't know how to make an argument or participate in a discussion. You just repeat your retarded claims over and over until everyone is sick of talking to you, then you can declare victory to nobody but yourself.

This thread is about someone saying fallout 2 isn't as good as they thought, not that underrail is mediocre. Your claims are as off topic as your taste in games is bad.

My biggest issue was that the settlement/tech progression was slow at the beginning.

First Arroyo, fucking tribals and lizardkilling.
Then Klamath where there isn't really much to do. The biggest questline is about ratkilling.
Boring so far.

The Den is good and has a fair amount of shit to do, but if you go next to Modoc instead of Redding/NewReno, yeat again another poorass village. Something similar happens with firearms not being readily available until Den. They should have skipped either Arroyo or Klamath.

F1 had Shad Sands early on filling the poor villager quota, and then you had all the cool shit.

My biggest issue was that the settlement/tech progression was slow at the beginning.

First Arroyo, fucking tribals and lizardkilling.
Then Klamath where there isn't really much to do. The biggest questline is about ratkilling.
Boring so far.

The Den is good and has a fair amount of shit to do, but if you go next to Modoc instead of Redding/NewReno, yeat again another poorass village. Something similar happens with firearms not being readily available until Den. They should have skipped either Arroyo or Klamath.

F1 had Shad Sands early on filling the poor villager quota, and then you had all the cool shit.
Yeah the pacing wasn't great early on. Still the game did a good job of directing you to the den for Vic. I think they embraced the "wide open" part of the sandbox idea a little too much at the beginning. And the temple of trials has to be the worst tutorial level possible for this game.

How about content that isn't 99% just clicking mouse1 to kill mooks and have them fall over like they slipped on a banana peel? And exactly what is it supposed to mean that a game has x hours of content but it somehow isn't a point to its quality? Bruh...

His point is obviously that Underfail could have a million hours of content but it'd be pointless, since it's all choreful grinding.

Hey look, it's you rushing to spam projections and pure butthurted fanboy faggotry :salute: Is this really what passes for arguments amongst zoomers?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Lol, ok.

Underrail might have 10 billion hours of content, but it's all the same.
Except it's not the same. I'd love for you to elaborate on what the fuck this even means.
It's ok, I can play fallout 2 when I want, and play underrail when I want. I don't even have to pick 1. You say the hours of content wasn't a point in favor of the game's quality, then immediately talk about 100s of hours of content.
Again, you're literally retarded. I already clarified why I brought up the hours of content in the first place, and my second sentence was referring to you acting like my claim was exaggerated or false.

Do you cretins purposefully mischaracterize people's words or is your reading comprehension really this god awful? Underrail's combat, world building, writing, choice and consequence, and graphical aesthetic are all things that are points in favor of the game's quality, along with other things. I wasn't fucking talking about that before you butted in like the unwanted creature that you are.
However, even if underrail were the best game in the universe, you couldn't convince its biggest fan to agree with you, because you don't know how to make an argument or participate in a discussion. You just repeat your retarded claims over and over until everyone is sick of talking to you, then you can declare victory to nobody but yourself.
Lolk. Coming from someone that has zero reading comprehension, I'll take that as a compliment. I break every person's claim down into the main axioms that it hinges on, and then make arguments that are either for or against said axioms. Whether or not the arguments are correct is the point of discussion, but there's nothing wrong with how I argue or participate in discussions. Newfags going to newfag. Keep talking out the side of your neck.
How about content that isn't 99% just clicking mouse1 to kill mooks and have them fall over like they slipped on a banana peel?
What the fuck does clicking mouse 1 even mean? The vast majority of builds in Underrail are based around special abilities or synergies, and fights are won by orienting your character in the environment in such a way so that you can best make use of these synergies and abilities. Between FO and Underrail, FO is the mouse1 clicker. If you're trying to imply that Underrail is solely based on combat with no thought provoking quests or lore and blah blah blah, countless people including myself have already explained why that's not true, but your puny brain is incapable of processing said arguments, so I won't waste my breath.
And exactly what is it supposed to mean that a game has x hours of content but it somehow isn't a point to its quality? Bruh...
Again, reading comprehension lmfao. I'll break it down.
If UR comes out with more content, I'll probably pick it up.
Man claims he'd play Underrail if it got more content.
More content? There is already over a hundred hours worth of content in a single playthrough.
I inform him that there is already a shit ton of content, and that him saying he's waiting for more is nonsensical.

Que the troglodyte, who conflates me talking about how much the content the game has with whatever retarded strawman argument he wanted to respond to in his puny little brain.

And now we've finally arrived to you, who's somehow still confused. Hope this cleared it up for you, but considering your extra chromosomes, I'm not counting on it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I said I'd pick it up as in whatever new modules or adventures are sold. I already have UR & the expansion. Basically, if it is made and sold I'll buy it because UR looks good and has some elements I've seen used in other games. As to when I'll play it, when I finally just sit at the computer and NOT organize spreadsheets, dl music and name & tag it, organize photos, go through videos and sort out terrabytes of hoarded shit. I mean I just found an old typing of the dead dl and.... it works. I spent three hours playing it and I shouldn't have. Sure hope there aren't sequels.

I'd be more likely to compare and contrast UR+ vs Xcom or Xcom2 rather than FO. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
A lot of the criticism could have been avoided if 95% of the whacky shit like the bridge encounter were locked behind the "Wild Wateland" trait

There is no such trait in FO2, that’s from a game that came out 10 years later…

True. And? Does that change anything about my argument that a good chunk of this type of content should have been tied to such a trait?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom