Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

copebot

Learned
Although it's not necessary, the advice for slow grower builds is to just roll an OP sorceress, get to an easy farm point, and farm some good runewords for your slow grower class. This also gets around lame issues like the classes that do not have good AoE clear. You just play the build/class around the things that the build is good at and ignore the areas that build is bad at. Some builds like hammerdin and other similar ones can technically do anything but you need high runes to make the good hammerdin stuff.

It's not really needed to be a sorc (it's just substantially more efficient for farming) but lots of things are way faster with runeword gearing. Also, you would probably just transfer over a lot of your good charms from one character to the next one, so it's not like progress on one character isn't actually shared across all of them. You can also flip around the runeword item lists and just find things that look cool, make them for your leveling character, and keep farming stuff for the key items that you want/need.

The other thing is that runes are random drops, but you can progress up the runes in a deterministic fashion since all of them can be upgraded/crafted. So for a lot of stuff it's just a matter of time killing something like countess to get at least some of what you need without having to gun for things that have a 1 in 1k drop rate.

Renevent

Cipher
Switched to Zeal, seems to work way better. That said what merc should I use? Blessed aim?

Most decent characters can get decent equipment fast if they farm the countess a bit in each difficulty. She'll drop some appropriate runes to make words with, other runes you can save or just slot in for their inherent effects. e.g. Ral give +30% fire resistance and a helm with 2 of them can be the best thing available for you or your merc until late nightmare. Tir is also good for +2 mana per kill if your skills are mana intensive and otherwise forcing you to drink mana potions every 5 enemies.

Switched to Zeal, seems to work way better. That said what merc should I use? Blessed aim?

Until you get to nightmare that's generally the best choice. Once you get to act 2 nightmare the aura of choice is holy freeze or might. Though if you are staying melee and have might then maybe stick with blessed aim.

I'd also recommend putting points into Holy Fire early on if you're going to be hitting things. Ignore the actual aura damage and just take into account the fairly massive fire damage added to your attacks. You could punch everything not fire immune to death throughout all normal if you dump all your points in holy fire.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Unique monsters are good though. They liven up the game.
Yea but there are like 2-3 packs of uniques sometimes close to each other and they die as easily as any other monster. Also Normal monsters feel kinda weaker, not sure why though.
And Hell monsters should have 50% physical resist in this old version :M

It's kind of silly when you don't bother picking up even yellows
Yellows also suck more because there are more suffixes/level dependance so instead of 3 resist ring you get +1 dex and 25% stamina regeneration.
That depends entirely on the pack and your level/gear. Sure endgame geared near max level chars can blast through most uniques and rares but there are nasty combinations like Fana Moonlords that can slaughter even well geared characters in seconds if you react half a second too late.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Act 2 mercs without life leech & other gear die every microsecond. You at least want polearm with Slow effect + hp leech. There are other less obvious options, for example rogue with %to cast Amplify Damage bow. AoE freeze merc can work too. Barbarians, I heard they can be funny but never geared one.

Moonlords that can slaughter even well geared characters in seconds if you react half a second too late.
Lightning Enchanted + Multishot and Fire enchanted + Amplify damage that lasted minutes from le old times was the real shit.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Act 2 mercs without life leech & other gear die every microsecond.

I've fixed this:
Code:
hirelings = Database('hireling')

for i in range(120):
    new_hp = int(hirelings.get_property(i, 'HP')) * 10
    hirelings.set_property(i, 'HP', new_hp)

hirelings.save()

jackofshadows

Magister
So what about the new % drop chance in resurrected? Is it possible to build relatively gear-demanding ones solo/offline?

typical user

Arbiter
So been playing this and got to level 19/Duriel in one sitting. It's been over a decade since I last played and honestly it still holds up pretty well game play wise. The upgraded graphics look fantastic IMO, although I agree the sanitization/sjw shit sucks. Anyways I've been cruising through the game np and basically hit a wall at Duriel (I remember he was the first real gear/build check back then too) which is fine, but one thing I don't remember being shitty was the skills. I'm trying to build a hammerdin and so far hammers seem to suck absolute balls. They never hit shit, fly around enemies, or hit walls and disappear, and it's basically way faster to kill shit using default attack. I don't remember using skills being this balls/clunky although I do realize nothing has changed on this front and I guess I gotta remember how to play better I guess.

I also forgot how to do auras and still use your skills properly...I have hammers on mb1 and blessed aim on mb2...is that basically how I'm supposed to do it? Seems if I don't have it binded/active on one of my mb's they don't work.

You are not supposed to run hammers until you get decent level/can baalrun. Up to that point just use Zeal and Holy Fire. You should be using Hammers around level 40-something when you can max them out and put some points in synergies. Honestly go for hammers when you enter hell, a zealot will do just fine with basic gear on nightmare. I know this is meta-knowledge that first-timers won't be able to figure out on their own, but hey part of the charm was playing through the game and sharing ideas how to progress through with different builds.

Yes, the best choice for zealot on normal, will help you a ton with hitting stuff and speed-up killing. Once you reach nightmare grab Holy Freeze if you are planning on switching for Hammerdin.

Shadenuat

Arcane
"improved drops for some unique monsters etc."
duriel: drops town portal and identify scroll

some things never change depending on patch version.

Codex Year of the Donut
image.png

:hmmm:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Heh. I am going throught Ch3 atm with druid with Rabies. Little bro rushes you, you bite him, he runs back to his village, disease hits everyone, village dies.
Druid things. Praise the Plagues.

Zeriel

Arcane
I can't wait to pirate this after the bugs are cleaned up, and the right modders have had their way with it.

You can't mod anything except the data (i.e stats, items, etc, no model modding or new UI elements/code) from what I saw Googling, so yeah, it's gonna be pretty slim pickings...

Gregz

Arcane
I can't wait to pirate this after the bugs are cleaned up, and the right modders have had their way with it.

You can't mod anything except the data (i.e stats, items, etc, no model modding or new UI elements/code) from what I saw Googling, so yeah, it's gonna be pretty slim pickings...

Kruno claims otherwise, or perhaps he has elevated his shitposting game?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I found old Ru)) special bawx that allows to downgrade D2 into anything as old as 1.07, and it all works even screen not stretched. 2015 technology. somehow bawx was also 7 times larger than it should be. must be 7 different Ru localizations (to make every Russian properly nostalgic you see as they all have good memories of their own pirated localization, one more horrible than another - today these same studios are proper we dindu studios and people from them work on mail.ru or something; I had boxed licensed version tho, bought on equivalent of flea market in 2000 - my first ever licensed game bawx):happytrollboy:I picked 1.09, last one before synergies & rebalancing.

I am now playing druid with puppies and ravens n shit. There are no synergies anywhere except dogi to bear conversion ratios. Interestingly enough, druid summon synergies were nerfed right after release, in 1.08; and also werebear form (it was +100% hp on level 1 and Maul had more stun and damage). But wolf attacking skills and fire claws were buffed.

It is amusing to play this version after playing 1.0 (Classic). Gold is no longer rare, you get thousands within minutes of the game. Potions drop from almost every mob. I got 3 rares and 1 green by just reaching stony field - in 1.0 I got as much while playing through whole chapter(s). But it's nice to have Meghan back with her 3 topaz bow.
And before this patch Jah rune didn't even exist, so to speak (it had different name).

Why am I so [autistic.gif] about this anyway? Well, this is the version I played the most, together with Classic (RuBarb vs. GerBarb) & LoD when it was just released (wtb windforce leviathan whatever).

Time traveling is interesting. Just one add-on before everything was rare, loot 5 times less common, only unique mob in plains was Bish, and you'd barely hit levels 26-27 before Nightmare. Some patching later, there are whole groups of unique monsters everywhere in already monster crowded game and power levels begin approaching modern jet climbing speeds. What were they thinking, eh? Probably just wanted to please players and make game more fun, add more of the same. And look at game balance of D2 and ARPGs today.

After all these years of playing D2 I really have to try something fresh

Pre-synergies / 1.07 / Classic / HC

What do you recommend?

Zeriel

Arcane

Kruno claims otherwise, or perhaps he has elevated his shitposting game?

He's probably just taking marketing claims at face value/not looking into the details. This is modern Blizzard, they don't do customer friendly moves.

Blizzard's latest statement on the matter explicitly refers to the old Diablo 2 version as the way forward for structural modding since they are not supporting it in a full-fledged manner.

Shadenuat

Arcane
pre-synergies / 1.07 / Classic / HC
Well 1.0 is very special and kinda raw, you get shit, everyone stronk, no cooldowns on spells for some enemies (durance is literal fire), diablo spams deathbeam, and of course, something I wonder how players would have reacted to today, every monster is bugged with x5 attack rating, making some, like birdies, 1-shot you. When I got enough Revives I brought a whole pack of super birds to Diablo, did reasonable damage to him. You can gamble for uniques with good chances. Chaos Sanctuary has monsters cast Iron Maiden, etc. Rares and in particular Pikes are very powerful, and barb Whirlwind is not fixed and attacks every frame. Corpse Explosion covers whole screen, Revives are brutally strong, Thorns/IM actually viable.
And the cursing fire enchanting sonic is there on normal in inner cloister tp :shittydog:

I think if you're sad D1 ended, playing through D2 1.0 with Pal with sword and shield gives you a bit of a relief.

1.07 has its own raw moments, you still get 1-shot by multishot lightning enchants, some uniques are crap, but some are hilariously overpowered.

In 1.09 you can set Players 64 for lulz, no synergies, but, it is undeniable game became a lot easier at this point. There are still no mana potions in shops but, tbh it doesn't matter anymore.

There is old "time traveling" guide on diabloii net: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/thr...tex-part-1-a-guide-to-spf-time-travel.933724/
Although it focuses a lot on items.

One thing that is very blizzord, 1.07/LoD - added Druid, have fun! 1.08: nerfed druid summons lol. and from there on, never bliz thought to increase amount of wolves or make these skills more relevant without +20 to all skills.
Oh and they also broke MF with 1.08.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
pre-synergies / 1.07 / Classic / HC
Well 1.0 is very special and kinda raw, you get shit, everyone stronk, no cooldowns on spells for some enemies (durance is literal fire), diablo spams deathbeam, and of course, something I wonder how players would have reacted to today, every monster is bugged with x5 attack rating, making some, like birdies, 1-shot you. When I got enough Revives I brought a whole pack of super birds to Diablo, did reasonable damage to him. You can gamble for uniques with good chances. Chaos Sanctuary has monsters cast Iron Maiden, etc. Rares and in particular Pikes are very powerful, and barb Whirlwind is not fixed and attacks every frame. Corpse Explosion covers whole screen, Revives are brutally strong, Thorns/IM actually viable.
And the cursing fire enchanting sonic is there on normal in inner cloister tp :shittydog:

I think if you're sad D1 ended, playing through D2 1.0 with Pal with sword and shield gives you a bit of a relief.

1.07 has its own raw moments, you still get 1-shot by multishot lightning enchants, some uniques are crap, but some are hilariously overpowered.

In 1.09 you can set Players 64 for lulz, no synergies, but, it is undeniable game became a lot easier at this point. There are still no mana potions in shops but, tbh it doesn't matter anymore.

There is old "time traveling" guide on diabloii net: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/thr...tex-part-1-a-guide-to-spf-time-travel.933724/
Although it focuses a lot on items.

One thing that is very blizzord, 1.07/LoD - added Druid, have fun! 1.08: nerfed druid summons lol. and from there on, never bliz thought to increase amount of wolves or make these skills more relevant without +20 to all skills.
Oh and they also broke MF with 1.08.

I loved 1.0. That's still the definitive version of the game to me.

Hassar

Scholar
So I respecced my Druid early on, mostly because I was really interested to try some AoE damage. Doing pure fire now and, uhh, jesus christ almighty. Once again, exactly as I remembered. Blizz has always loved casters.
Druid caster is pure cancer to play due to all the spells doing random damage in their AoE. Fuck that. With Druid you either go Shapeshifting, Summoning or you play a real spellcaster.

Well, I'm having a good time.

Holy shit, this game is so much better than Diablo 3, it's not even funny. It is legitimately sad.

I'm in Maggot Lair under the Far Oasis, with all of the narrow tunnels, just rolling my huge flaming rock down these hallways, absolutely crushing the fuck out of everything. Like bowling for shitheads. There is nothing in D3 that is even remotely satisfying as this is, or as fun.

Fissures is fucking nuts, too. I don't think I ever played a pure elemental Druid before, the spells are not bad on this difficulty. I'm putting points in summoning just to have a doggo friend and eventually the bear (because bears are great, and if I could have a pet bear, I would).

This is a 20 fucking year old game. With the exception of WoW, it's more fun than anything Blizzard has done since. Ridiculous.

This game was made back in the days when designers legitimately wanted players to have fun and let the fun be addictive rather than intensive focus grouping to maximize micro transactions and linking dopamine responses to profitability. I do recall disliking synergies and some of the updates - started to get annoying when some skills were basically must-haves or your character’s viability would be limited. That started the trend where the meta made some combos obsolete.

I was hoping for more cosmetic options but overall have been enjoying this more than some recent titles. Reminds me that I uninstalled Diablo 3 with no regrets.

So I respecced my Druid early on, mostly because I was really interested to try some AoE damage. Doing pure fire now and, uhh, jesus christ almighty. Once again, exactly as I remembered. Blizz has always loved casters.

Well, as people already pointed out, Blizzard tried to balance casters by making Mana Potions scarce (not being able to be bought in the shop). But eventually they realized that the gameplay loop kinda went into the shitters with you constantly teleporting to town when being out of mana. Balancing casters and melee characters really is not that easy.

I think developers should worry less about balance then making fun games.
So been playing this and got to level 19/Duriel in one sitting. It's been over a decade since I last played and honestly it still holds up pretty well game play wise. The upgraded graphics look fantastic IMO, although I agree the sanitization/sjw shit sucks. Anyways I've been cruising through the game np and basically hit a wall at Duriel (I remember he was the first real gear/build check back then too) which is fine, but one thing I don't remember being shitty was the skills. I'm trying to build a hammerdin and so far hammers seem to suck absolute balls. They never hit shit, fly around enemies, or hit walls and disappear, and it's basically way faster to kill shit using default attack. I don't remember using skills being this balls/clunky although I do realize nothing has changed on this front and I guess I gotta remember how to play better I guess.

I also forgot how to do auras and still use your skills properly...I have hammers on mb1 and blessed aim on mb2...is that basically how I'm supposed to do it? Seems if I don't have it binded/active on one of my mb's they don't work.

What SJW stuff are you referring to?

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
They censored/altered the player models in a way not in keeping with the original vision, and also altered ingame dialogue to remove "offensive" language.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom