Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

Ash

Arcane
Yeah it does depend on the texture pack and game in question. Is the game realism-oriented? Is the game's art style even good and worth preserving to an autistic degree in the first place? Most old games do look shit with HD world textures, but System Shock 2 is definitely an exception for example (NOT rebirth though). New AI upscale tech as above is usually pretty good too, typically because it's pretty subtle. I am 100% on board with Quake looking like shit with HD (world geometry) texture packs though. The game is highly abstract and not detail nor realism oriented in its level design, so it just looks fucked. Techbase interiors look kinda nice since they're a little less abstract than the other world types, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
What I like about that Quake Remaster is that the new models stay very true to the original style and are still low poly enough to feel 90s. Really well made.
Found them a bit of a mixed bag as some seem to be missing the point stylistically, for example new rottweiler just looks like a normal doggo instead of possessed by ebul!! Although they are well made, that's for sure.

New AI upscale tech as above is usually pretty good too, typically because it's pretty subtle.

When I first heard about AI upscaling I wrote it off as something that's no doubt gonna be shit. But it's shaping up to be the better way to make these sort of texture packs, making old games look less blurry while completely keeping original style intact.

Ash

Arcane
What I like about that Quake Remaster is that the new models stay very true to the original style and are still low poly enough to feel 90s. Really well made.
Found them a bit of a mixed bag as some seem to be missing the point stylistically, for example new rottweiler just looks like a normal doggo instead of possessed by ebul!! Although they are well made, that's for sure.

Agree. keep the enemy models vanilla. blurring hides detail, keeping things abstract and weird. When you can see low-poly, low-res monsters in clearer detail they're no longer quite so monstrous, more like plushy dolls instead. The weapons on the other hand, so ugly and worthless I just replace them completely. Especially as things you are expected to look at 100% of the time.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
HD texture mods are terrible because they ruin the original artistic vision.

I played few missions with this texture pack and I think it looks fine:

I'm sure purists can still find reasons to hate it but I prefer less blurry textures.

This is why you play with all texture filtering disabled and revel in the glory of crispy textures.

Ash

Arcane
Not low effort but low quality. What is the point of putting Quake on Kex? So it can have a couple of minimalist and arguably unnecessary graphics whoring features? So it can add incompatibility with over two decades of Quake modding? So it can have achievements? 50 hp Nightmare mode? Modern gaming is pathetic.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can it run AD and UO?

AD requires custom features introduced by a fork they made to Quakespasm (which i think were later merged with Quakespasm), so since Quake Enhanced Edition's engine isn't based on Quakespasm but on the original GLQuake, then no. Unless they implement said features of course. But that is like expecting any non-Quakespasm-based source port (of which there are like a hundred) to support them.

What is the point of putting Quake on Kex? So it can have a couple of minimalist and arguably unnecessary graphics whoring features? So it can add incompatibility with over two decades of Quake modding? So it can have achievements? 50 hp Nightmare mode?

I'm certain it was for the console ports. The original Quake source code, on which all modern source ports are based, was released under the GPL license which requires all modifications to the source code also be released under the GPL license (among other stuff, like making the source code available to anyone who asks). The GPL license is incompatible with console SDKs which are way more controlling (GPL is essentially written to allow for maximum *user* control - from a perspective of if you have the source code you have the best control over a program and so ensuring the source code always remains available gives the users maximum control - but consoles are the complete antithesis of that where users are essentially treated as hostile actors - this isn't me making this up btw, this is what one of Microsoft's engineers said in a presentation about XBox One's hardware DRM).

So if Bethesda and/or Nightdive wanted to release this on consoles (and they certainly did), they'd have to start from code that was completely owned by id - ie. the original Quake source code. Kex entered into the picture since they already have designed it to allow for merging with existing codebases to provide support for modern graphics APIs, platforms, input, etc.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The original Quake source code, on which all modern source ports are based, was released under the GPL license which requires all modifications to the source code also be released under the GPL license

I *think* GPL actually doesn't matter as Bethesda is the owner of the code, the owner is not bound by the license. They can do whatever they want to unless they don't use modifications from community.

But I agree that console release was a big factor here. Nightdive probably pitched that Kex port and Behtesda/id probably chose it over porting Quake codebase to consoles themselves or by some other third party.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I *think* GPL actually doesn't matter as Bethesda is the owner of the code, the owner is not bound by the license. They can do whatever they want to unless they don't use modifications from community.

Yeah, this is why i wrote that they'd have to start from code that was completely owned by id - ie. the original Quake source code without any modifications made by others later, as they do not own those - since they can license those as they fit.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

soon?
InnocentFriendlyGoitered-size_restricted.gif

focus on Havok cloth and hair implementation.
Shamblers redesigned?

toughasnails

If this is another singleplayer Quake inspired by the first one, I wonder how they'll differentiate it from the new Doom given its accent on mobility and fantasy environments... I'd like to see some of the original grunge and rust, and the game going more in the atmospheric horror direction (but then again, how exactly you do that with modern visual fidelity in a game with Quake's speed and action).

Zeem

Learned
If this is another singleplayer Quake inspired by the first one, I wonder how they'll differentiate it from the new Doom given its accent on mobility and fantasy environments... I'd like to see some of the original grunge and rust, and the game going more in the atmospheric horror direction (but then again, how exactly you do that with modern visual fidelity in a game with Quake's speed and action).
You gut the speed and dilute the action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom