Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which of these are the best games of the CRPG revival? [Sep 2021 Edition]

Multiple votes allowed: Choose all that meet the criteria of being 'good'

• Legend of Grimrock 1

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Legend of Grimrock 2

Votes: 28 17.2%
  • Expidtions: Conquistador

Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Expiditions: Viking

Votes: 29 17.8%
  • Shadowrun Returns

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Votes: 62 38.0%
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong

• The Banner Saga 1

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Banner Saga 2

• The Banner Saga 3

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 1

• Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 33 20.2%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Wasteland 3

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • Pillars of Eternity 1

• Pillars of Eternity 2

• Age of Decadence

Votes: 70 42.9%
  • UnderRail

Votes: 71 43.6%
  • Dungeon Rats

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • Tyranny

• Torment: Tides of Numenera

• Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 31 19.0%
  • ELEX 1

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • ATOM RPG

Votes: 40 24.5%
  • The Bard's Tale 4

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Votes: 46 28.2%
  • Kenshi 1

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • The Outer Worlds 1

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Operencia: The Stolen Sun

• Solasta: Crown of the Magister

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Monomyth

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Kenshi 2

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - ELEX 2

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Colony Ship

Votes: 47 28.8%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Vagrus: The Riven Realms

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Avowed

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Black Geyser

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Prometheus Wept

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Stoneshard

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - The Hand of Merlin

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Dragon Age 4

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Mass Effect 5

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - KOTOR Remake

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Starfield

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - VTMB 2

• Total voters

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Underrail's deep systems and amazing graphics puts it at the top of this list for me.

It satisfied the biggest hurdle any rpg faces, it felt like it put you into a living complex world you could interact with meaningfully.

And it had one of my first "aw yeah" moment since I was a kid when it let you pilot a Protectorate Dreadnaught. Why are these so rare now?

Trashos

Arcane
And it had one of my first "aw yeah" moment since I was a kid when it let you pilot a Protectorate Dreadnaught.

It was a 1-2 punch in that questline.
The Dreadnaught quest: Oh Yeah!
The folowing quest, Gas the Drones: Oh No!

Underrail's deep systems and amazing graphics puts it at the top of this list for me.

It satisfied the biggest hurdle any rpg faces, it felt like it put you into a living complex world you could interact with meaningfully.
Which are these "deep systems" and where are the "amazing graphics"? You do know a lot of the games graphics were made in Paint, don't you?

And which are these "meaningful interactions"?

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

Which are these "deep systems" and where are the "amazing graphics"? You do know a lot of the games graphics were made in Paint, don't you?

And which are these "meaningful interactions"?

Meaningful interaction for me would include EMPs zeroing out shield energy. Making shields feel more like an in-world "thing" rather than a box on the equipment screen.

In any case, I was impressed.

Meaningful interaction for me would include EMPs zeroing out shield energy. Making shields feel more like an in-world "thing" rather than a box on the equipment screen.

In any case, I was impressed.
So thats it, that one single thing makes up the "meaningful interactions"? Shields are basically just another on-use item like any drug, except it gives you temporary hit points instead of increased crit rate.

Trashos

Arcane
Dude, play the game. Or don't. But you have no idea what you are talking about.
In Underrail energy shields can be penetrated depending on weapon, can take a limited amount of abuse again depending on weapon, can be eliminated with EMP grenades, can run out of energy, can be exploited and cause damage to the wearer. There, you learnt something today.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
In Underrail energy shields can be penetrated depending on weapon, can take a limited amount of abuse again depending on weapon, can be eliminated with EMP grenades, can run out of energy, can be exploited and cause damage to the wearer. There, you learnt something today.

Yeah, the shield effectiveness being affected by projectile velocity was straight out of Dune and I love it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's really just a glorified health pill. I hope that cleared things up for you.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And all computer games are 1s and 0s but that shouldn't stop the fantasy in one's mind while playing the games. Even Hydlide (which I despise because it was a stupid buy) can immerse my mind into that world. Vector lines... still immersed. Text adventures like Zork... immersed. Spreadsheets with columns and rows that need sorting.... <drool> MUST SORT! Some games do this more. Its player preference and shitting on a game and another's enjoyment of whatever game just makes the shitter look like a trollish asshole or some sort of autistic brat trying to get the last word in.

Codex Year of the Donut
if you don't understand the importance of gameplay and story(world) being intertwined then crpg may not be the genre for you

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Which of these are the best games of the CRPG revival?.

Of the games listed, these are the ones I played, minus a couple I just barely booted up and then refunded. * means I haven’t finished my playthrough (and probably won’t) but gave it a good try.

Legend of Grimrock*
Expeditions: Conquistador
Expeditions: Viking
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun: Hong Kong*
The Banner Saga 1-3
Divinity Original Sin 1* (very close to the end, like final boss fight, but my co-op partner stopped playing and he had the save files)
Divinity Original Sin 2
Wasteland 2* (approaching the end game but then the Director’s cut released and I decided to switch to that but didn’t finish that and didn’t go back the original playthrough either. Eh.)
Wasteland 3*
Pillars of Eternity
Pillars of Eternity II*
Tyranny
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous* (I’m still actively playing this one)

Of those, I would say these were of notable or outstanding quality:

Expeditions: Conquistador
Expeditions: Viking
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
The Age of Decadence
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I’d say these ones were at least somewhat fun, but with serious flaws:

Shadowrun Returns
The Banner Saga 1-3
Tyranny
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (but I haven’t made my final verdict)
Divinity Original Sin 1
Divinity Original Sin 2
Wasteland 2
Wasteland 3

I’d say these got a resounding meh :

Legend of Grimrock (I never really played this genre, so I’m not sure if this is because I dislike the genre or because I dislike this take on the genre)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Torment Tides of Numenera
Pillars of Eternity (although the White March expansion is notably fun, I would include it with Shadowrun: Dragonfall and other entries -- if only the critical path had maintained the level of quality)
Pillars of Eternity II (I never played the expansions, but I hear Beast of Winter was at least somewhat fun)

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
if you don't understand the importance of gameplay and story(world) being intertwined then crpg may not be the genre for you
Not sure who that is toward but back in the day we'd create our own narrative, goals, rules, limitations, and suffer with whatever mechanics the game offered be they good or bad. People of today are spoiled bitches who cry over shit.

And these days you don't have to buy blind. Games have more reviews, videos, and footage than we could ever have dreamed of back in the 70s, 80s, 90s.

I'd contest that the bitchers and whiners are barely gamers at all. Even games exclusively in another language can possible garner a playerthtough if you are persistent enough. I remember when I barely saw some play of Temple of Apshai or ACS. I created my own rpg on a checkerboard with rocks and sticks and scribbled notes based on what mechanics i only had a few hours of access to (i didn't own the computer but visited soneone once a month who had one). Yeah, board games and playing cards also played a role so its doable to immerse yourself. Today.... spoiled bitches.

Humbaba

Arcane
Not sure who that is toward but back in the day we'd create our own narrative, goals, rules, limitations, and suffer with whatever mechanics the game offered be they good or bad. People of today are spoiled bitches who cry over shit.

And these days you don't have to buy blind. Games have more reviews, videos, and footage than we could ever have dreamed of back in the 70s, 80s, 90s.

I'd contest that the bitchers and whiners are barely gamers at all. Even games exclusively in another language can possible garner a playerthtough if you are persistent enough. I remember when I barely saw some play of Temple of Apshai or ACS. I created my own rpg on a checkerboard with rocks and sticks and scribbled notes based on what mechanics i only had a few hours of access to (i didn't own the computer but visited soneone once a month who had one). Yeah, board games and playing cards also played a role so its doable to immerse yourself. Today.... spoiled bitches.

I don't understand this line of reasoning: "Things were shit back then and we liked it!". I mean that's cool but I'm not gonna feel bad about not liking shit.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I'm not sure I get what you're saying here. People who complain about bad stories in today's games are spoiled? In modern games you don't even have the option of "creating your own narrative and limitations" because the game itself will contradict you at every turn. It'd be preferable if games with shitty stories didn't have stories at all and let you make shit up, even if that is bordering on LARPing.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh, i agree on making my own characters. Most games have some sort of narrative even if only in the manual. A lot of JRPGs don't allow character creation and you get stuck with McNugget Sam with maybe an option for name change only. Rest of game is scripted like a book.

I just wait for reviews. I do wish developers would agree on labelling their games correctly. Sucks when they say it is x but it surely isn't.

Last edited:

Gradenmayer

Learned
D:OS, Kenshi (which was in dev for 12 years, so it is not even a game of the current era) and Disco are not products of CRPG revival. They are their own thing and are very different from games of the old. Stop being retards, folks.

Banner Saga is iffy too, it's closer to Oregon Trail than classic RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom