Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

China to nuke online and maybe mobile games

Ravielsk

Magister
1) How do you enforce said law, whithout victimizing people?
A better question would be how do you enforce it without bashing everyone and anyone in existence. Consider the more contemporary "war on drugs", a noble pursuit that effectively did the exact inverse of what it set out to do. Keeping drugs from children's hands sound fine and dandy until you realize that the practical application of that ideal equals to locking up teens and ruining their lives because they stupidly tried some weed without hiding it well enough. You turn them into felons for a crime that they might theoretically commit in the future and then wonder why so many turn to crime. In fact, if you think about it years of fighting "drugs" has only caused people to take said drugs and their abuse less seriously because the harm caused by the "war" far exceeded the negative impacts of the drugs themselves. The only real benefit it brought was the creation of vast and highly profitable black market.

When you compare that with countries that have instead of criminalizing drugs turned them into a health issue(a.k.a you can legally seek medical assistance without facing criminal charges) you will see that they in fact have less of a drug problem than USA and they dont have to struggle with an ever growing black market.

Technically that "war" is over now but just think how much money and lives were flushed down the toilet for something as innocuous as "keep the drugs away from the children". At best it was all for nothing and at worst it only made things worse. "Well meaning authoritarians" never seem to consider the long term implications of their actions and when you point them out they pretend like you are not pointing out a flaw in their thought process but advocating for children getting hooked up on crack.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Read something interesting on the topic from someone whose opinion on China I generally respect.

Kevin Rudd argues that China’s “pivot to the state” is occurring because Chairman Xi Jinping is determined that his country shall “win a generational contest against cultural dependency on the West” (“What Explains Xi’s Pivot to the State?” op-ed, Sept. 20). Yet the majority of firms and media products targeted by Mr. Xi’s new campaign are not Western, but Chinese.

The drivers of this campaign are also domestic. In Chinese eyes, each of its targets is associated with a longstanding social ill. The sorts of social problems Brooklyn hipsters chalk up to “late capitalism” exist in China, too—and in most cases in far worse form. The new restrictions on video games, to choose one example, are less a reaction to the popularity of Western games (China’s blockbuster titles are for the most part homegrown) than the humiliating reality that the amount of time the average Chinese wastes on gaming is double that wasted by the average citizen of any Western nation.

One can forgive the gamers for their addiction: Urban Chinese life is atomized, tech-addled and status-anxious. A people whose national anthem begins with the words “Stand up! You who refuse to be slaves!” now finds themselves trapped in a billion-man rat race.

Isn’t this what the “late capitalism” moniker is really trying to get at: the felt sense that we are no longer men and women with dignity and agency, but instead the playthings of advertisements and algorithms, commodified by processes we cannot opt out of?6 One must play or perish: the Chinese have been playing at a rate that puts the rest of us to shame.

The most telling illustration of this is the common invocation of Tinder, Bumble, and the other online dating apps in discussions of “late capitalism.” Nary a dollar is exchanged, but the apps very much make dating feel like a market place and their users like commodities.

That is the thread that ties all of these crackdowns together. Each targets an industry that seems to strip people of their agency and rob them of their dignity. Each seems to hijack healthy behavior with a set of short term incentives whose end results are self destructive and degrading.

Honestly it sounds like a great policy, one that is sorely needed.

Vatnik Wumao
I thought they may be doing it to protect the kids from these scummy companies' poor business practices, or protect them from mindless addiction (playing the same mediocre game over and over), or shield them from certain degenerate aspects of western culture. But this? I guess I shouldn't have expected anything more.

Dude
They're commies
What were you expecting?
Integrity?
Morally ethical behaviour?

The only thing the Party wants and cares for is control
As long as you don't fuck with them they don't care what you are or what you do
Shit if you're an asset to them, then you can be the most despicable asshole on the planet and they won't care

These new restrictions are nothing but their lastest pathetic attempt at controlling the media their denizens consume
And I say pathetic because they can't enforce it
Piracy is rampant there
They tried the same shit for japanese and korean media and it solved nothing, as the Chinese still to this day watch that shit in droves

Software piracy is fine in China, as long as the victims are western companies.

Dexter

Arcane
ayk7zsxk6iq71.jpg

lol @ "femboy" having a Venti pic next to it

edit: https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Venti

posted 20 hours ago said:
Im afraid China and Mihoyo will banned both Venti and Xingqiu, just make a little appearance for avoid the problems or just make them into female chara or masculine chara in this game because the stupid feminine boy bans law has started

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
No fems.

No Bitcoin.

No online gaming.

Guys, the chinos know something we don't. They're getting ready for something big.

They're getting ready for Ghengis Khan II - The Return of the Horde. That or Lo Pan finally found that girl with dragon green eyes.

deuxhero

Arcane
Well I recognize enough characters that the translation doesn't seem to be total bullshit.

LOL at even Innerbred Kingdom game "journalists" being censorship pushing cucks desperate for gibs (give us the machine needed to play your game!)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone actually cheering on this shit because they're banning gays or w/e is as bad as the clown world SJWs.

Both sides want to make games as boring and shit as possible. They're just approaching it from different angles.

Perkel

Arcane
Anyone actually cheering on this shit because they're banning gays or w/e is as bad as the clown world SJWs.

Both sides want to make games as boring and shit as possible. They're just approaching it from different angles.

West completely abandoned concept of morality. Chinese are following it. Who has right answer is yet to be determined by history.

Also i am looking forward to how those companies will be changing their games lol after we love gays 24/7 mantra, same with movies and so on lol.

Codex Year of the Donut

The only real difference is that (for now) the CCP has more power.
There's fundamentally no difference between this
image.png

image.png

and what they did in e.g., Outer Worlds with Parvati.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

West completely abandoned concept of morality. Chinese are following it. Who has right answer is yet to be determined by history.

Also i am looking forward to how those companies will be changing their games lol after we love gays 24/7 mantra, same with movies and so on lol.

Suddenly your shilling for Epic and Tencent (and by extension GGG) makes way more sense.

Codex Year of the Donut

This has nothing to do with morality, you're a fucking idiot.
image.png

image.png

image.png

Codex Year of the Donut
BASED CHINA!!!
image.png

B A S E D!!!!

reminder that none of the people slurping china's asshole itt will ever have to or willingly abide by these regulations, not one of them

Codex Year of the Donut
This has nothing to do with morality, you're a fucking idiot.

YEs because fags are political force in china lmao. Of course it does looking at it. + standard chinese censorship.
Imagine looking at that massive list and going "wow... they banned gay people... this is so amazing"
ofc you will never willingly actually go there, you'll just be another annoying chinkaboo

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Perkel and people blindly supporting this:

Haha, they're banning everything that allows games to be good and nuanced, but it's all good because they've banned gays.

Some dexers have truly gone insane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom