Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

China to nuke online and maybe mobile games

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What's the source of that? some of the translation makes it sound like it's from a particular company.

Dexter

Arcane
What's the source of that? some of the translation makes it sound like it's from a particular company.
I think it's originally from this site and someone translated it: https://anime-news.net/2021/09/29/中国-共産党-名指し-非難/

On the page it says that it's the "Opinion of the Ministry of Propaganda of the Communist Party of China" (probably the branch of it that is in charge of censoring games did a conference for industry people)

You can also find it here in text: https://chinadigitaltimes.net/chinese/671510.html
Editor's note: The document, which was widely screened online today and is said to have come from a content management training course in the Beijing gaming industry, is an internal "speech content collation" document presented in shorthand (not the full description of the speaker). Among them, the General Administration audit expert Chen Zhenyu (also said to be a senior industry insider) the main content of the speech involved a large number of game review case studies, revealing china's game review of many transparent / opaque operating standards. The document also reveals the prospect of increasingly stringent game censorship in China, against the backdrop of what officials have previously called "spiritual opium" and the introduction of the most stringent anti-addiction rules in history. At present, there have been netizens because of screenshots to disseminate the material has been deleted. Another game forum (NGA) netizens look at these censorship standards are extremely strict, in a word a simple summary - "(game) have to die! ! "

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think it's originally from this site and someone translated it: https://anime-news.net/2021/09/29/中国-共産党-名指し-非難/

On the page it says that it's the "Opinion of the Ministry of Propaganda of the Communist Party of China" (probably the branch of it that is in charge of censoring games did a conference for industry people)
So these really are the official "do this or your game is banned for sale in china" rules?

Dexter

Arcane
So these really are the official "do this or your game is banned for sale in china" rules?
It's hard to say. Censorship regimes are generally by design rather opaque, bound for selective interpretation/expansion and full of unstated rules. They're also usually not enforced by just one person or one department with a specific opinion, I think someone even mentioned a small feud between two different Censorship departments a few pages ago. I guess this might better be taken as giving them some "guidelines".
Compare with the Codex for instance, where you can post and say all sorts of outrageous shit, but aren't allowed to talk about certain aspects of certain RPGs while referring to things that you can find in the games themselves or programming your Tivo without awaiting enforcement action.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel and people blindly supporting this:
Haha, they're banning everything that allows games to be good and nuanced, but it's all good because they've banned gays.
Some dexers have truly gone insane.

You blindly assume things.

1. I don't care about chink games.
2. My comments are mostly about what reaction will be by western fag devs to it considering China for them in one of biggest markets.

China already has huge impact on how movies are made and this will now polifirate toward games. And we are talking here about AAA business mostly, the things we play here are mostly A or AA max which will be perfectly fine in China along with west assuming they won't have communist revolution soon.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Perkel and people blindly supporting this:
Haha, they're banning everything that allows games to be good and nuanced, but it's all good because they've banned gays.
Some dexers have truly gone insane.

You blindly assume things.

1. I don't care about chink games.
2. My comments are mostly about what reaction will be by western fag devs to it considering China for them in one of biggest markets.

China already has huge impact on how movies are made and this will now polifirate toward games. And we are talking here about AAA business mostly, the things we play here are mostly A or AA max which will be perfectly fine in China along with west assuming they won't have communist revolution soon.

Exacatly and this ''Traditional Maoist-Han'' morality enforcing will be aimed at young chinkoids only why I say so? Cause Chinese want their country and people to rule so they will allow those ''freedooms'' for their vassals and dependencies to keep the people they hope to rule to weak, decadent and obedient. Same as Romans happy that Britons and Gaul adopted bath houses and living in cities ergo were no longer able to resist Roman State.

Its not half as perverse and universal as Kwan SJWs who want hole world to be ''saved'' and ''redeemed'' by aggressive promotion of their new religion dogmas.

They even allowed their minorities to bread when Hans had forced abortions so will take Chink-Chong Over lordship over (((Western]]] one.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is no exception in those rules for games not aimed at kids. They are banning anything even remotely complex or nuanced for all age groups.

Those rules basically ban RPGs with interesting choice and consequence of any kind, in fact any game with a remotely grey situation.

Codex of old would have called that banal and popamole, but because they're banning gays it's apparently based.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most western devs are still making more money from western audiences by all accounts.

The only games you seem to make more money on chinese audiences tends to be MMO stuff.

Perkel

Arcane
There is no exception in those rules for games not aimed at kids. They are banning anything even remotely complex or nuanced for all age groups.
Those rules basically ban RPGs with interesting choice and consequence of any kind, in fact any game with a remotely grey situation.
Codex of old would have called that banal and popamole, but because they're banning gays it's apparently based.

I see you never lived in communist state. What government does is one thing, what people do is completely separate thing.

Example of that is Poland from 80s. Only 2 channels in Tv with state propaganda and somehow communists fell without need of strong independant news channel.

Codex Year of the Donut

I see you never lived in communist state. What government does is one thing, what people do is completely separate thing.

Example of that is Poland from 80s. Only 2 channels in Tv with state propaganda and somehow communists fell without need of strong independant news channel.
somehow I don't think Soviets-falling-apart-era poland is quite the same as modern day china

also
"yesss! banning the gays!"
"nah the bans aren't real you're wrong"

talk about doublethink

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Man, more than 70 years after WW2 ended and the Chinks are still this buttmad with the Japs
Completely living rent free

Asides from that, even the supposedly "based" they propose there, are completely arbitrary and subjective on context
Meaning that even CCP biased and sanitized games can still be censored if the system so chooses

West completely abandoned concept of morality. Chinese are following it. Who has right answer is yet to be determined by history.

Morality is based on Truth
Not the CCP filtered version of it you mook

Example of that is Poland from 80s.

Are you seriously trying to compare modern day China to a state that at the time was already well into it's deathbed?

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Me reading title thread:
"Haha, the chinks are banning their own gacha shit, based lol"

Proceed to read the rest and the long-ass document.

:whatho:

I'm not even sure I understand, they are going to basically nuke any form of slightly divergent media entertainment and completely give up the market outside of china ?
What the fuck.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
1) How do you enforce said law, whithout victimizing people?

A better question would be how do you enforce it without bashing everyone and anyone in existence.
Keeping drugs from children's hands sound fine and dandy until you realize that the practical application of that ideal equals to locking up teens and ruining their lives because they stupidly tried some weed without hiding it well enough. You turn them into felons for a crime that they might theoretically commit in the future and then wonder why so many turn to crime.

That is pretty much the gist of what I was trying to say (I should've explained myself better)
The example you gave is what I referring with "victimizing people" - those measures are clearly unjust (punishement not porpocional to the crime and clearly not tempered by mercy), trample civil liberties and like you showed end up causing further harm to society, it even ends "stoking up" the problem it was trying to fix in the first place

At best it was all for nothing and at worst it only made things worse.

It did made things worse
As it led to a huge escalation from the criminals to the point where now several latin american countries are pretty much controlled by narco warlords

EDIT:
You know I just remembered I had created a "War on Drugs" thread last year, which I pretty much forgot until your post
Maybe it's time to necro it

Perkel

Arcane
Are you seriously trying to compare modern day China to a state that at the time was already well into it's deathbed?

The fuck that is supposed to even mean ? Did you have or not free TV in 80s fuckwit ? No there wasn't any. And yet propaganda didn't work and people did whatever they wanted.

The argument that if all channels are propaganda you brainwash population goes completely opposite to fall of communism in nation like poland.

lightbane

Arcane
Thanks for these posts. If there were doubts about China, they should be more than enough proof by now.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The fuck that is supposed to even mean ?

It means that unlike China today, the Polish state in the 80's was barely effective in processing information and media from outside the Iron Country and couldn't stamp down it's significant and ever growing counter-culture

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
The fuck that is supposed to even mean ?

It means that unlike China today, the Polish state in the 80's was barely effective in processing information and media from outside the Iron Country and couldn't stamp down it's significant and ever growing counter-culture

?? Dude every communist country run its spying operation on citizents. In Poland there were literally 100ks of SB agents who willingly or not ratted out what is happening in communities to goverment. Germany ? Stazi and so on.

Today they don't need army of agents to control population true but people still don't give a fuck.

You are taking some celebrities, students and so on as "normal chinese" they are complete minority in population and those are the ones that are mostly hurt by government rules which is similar pattern how things worked under communism.

Its like their great firewall, everyone knows about it and no one cares, those who want can easily go around it.

Chinese gov can dowhatever it wants until it reaches bankrupcy.

System don't change because they are evil, bad, wrong or unsuitable, they change because they go bankrupt.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Ahhh censorship is never a problem for people. Communism fell because of stupid rulers and lack of food,like in any other political system. The same thing is seen in the west as we speak.

I see nothing wrong with restricting all games. Just because you have it as a hobby and enjoy it,doesn't mean it is a positive thing for society. Make all games 20+ and it will be incline.

lightbane

Arcane
mpare with the Codex for instance, where you can post and say all sorts of outrageous shit, but aren't allowed to talk about certain aspects of certain RPGs while referring to things that you can find in the games themselves or programming your Tivo without awaiting enforcement action.
Wait, almost missed this: Do you mean for the first one stuff like the Wokefinder's cringe thread? As for the second, I'm not sure what are you referring to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom