Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death's Gambit - A beautiful pixelated action platform with deep RPG elements from White Rabbit

Villagkouras

Arcane
Game is fine, it's a bit easy, considering its influences. I managed to kill the first boss without dying, but this may change in later levels.

(If you want something more brutal, try Unworthy)

But seriously, I like what I've seen in these early stages, there's too Dark Souls of course, so you may consider it a pro or a con, I'm going to continue playing and write some more.

Hey, it has stats.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
If only it was a roguelike soulslike metroidvania then I'd definitely buy this game!!

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It looks really good actually, like a pixel dark souls. I've never played any of the Dark Souls games so this looks like it'll be fun.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It looks like the reviews are starting to be less enthusiastic.

There are a couple of technical issues (15fps in full-screen mode, shitty KB support, auto-select language) and gameplay issues (stamina usage is unbalanced, unpolished combat mechanics, artificial difficulty, animations linked to fps!?).

I did not play the game therefore I'm probably wrong but I lost interest after I watched a couple of streams. The game looks like is a soulless Dark Souls ripoff: they simply copied Dark Souls as much as possible without understanding the original intentions behind the original.

Yeah it looks good but most boss fights are tedious as fuck, the world is a pain to navigate, the difficulty is all over the place ... even streamers are somewhat underwhelmed. Hollow Knight and Salt and Sanctuary seem to be way better than this.

I hope I'm wrong but I will skip it for now.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was excited, but I'll wait for a sale. My plate is already full and then there's Dragon Quest XI and Pathfinder Kingmaker in September.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Never got into all the 2D Soul-likes, not Salt&Sanctuary, not Hollow Knight, not this. There's just something about the 3D level design and combat that can't be copied into 2D. Plus the best 2D game has been Gods since like 1990 and that hasn't changed.

Maybe all those indie devs should try making Gods-likes instead.

played about 2 hours and killed 3 bosses than next 2 pushed my shit in :lol: acolyte of death as a starting class seems pretty strong so far. kb+m is shit but same was in Salt&Sanctuary or Hollow Knight. combat is rather simple at least for now you have basic attack, jump attack, attack after roll etc. every weapon has some unique abilities they are rather usefull certainly more than weapon arts in DS3.

Lore, setting, art design seem interesting so far. i loled hard at this :
F9ett7L.jpg

really nigger?

LRuDPf0.jpg

not very subtle but hey :lol:

Level design is kind of similar to Salt&Sanctuary and i already dread fucking platforming with disapearing ledges, mid air flips and double jumping. Platforming getting harder and harder pretty much killed my interest in Hollow Knight :negative: I hope there is more fighting and there is more to the combat here.
I liked all the new shit like equipping breakeable items for extra auras, loosing healing items and not exp after you die, different healing items, finding books about bosses gives you bonuses against them, getting exp for hurting boss even if you die shortly after or ability to repeat fights against them.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I didn't have any technical issues at all.

One thing that put me off is that I rolled a dex character and when I had a hard time with a boss using my dagger, I switched to a str weapon and roflstomped the boss which is not a good sign. But I may start with a str character.

Also, I feel that stamina usage is way too harsh for rolling. I may have to start using a shield too.

Bonfire usage will be key in the later parts.

I was also trolled by the blatant DS reference.

Bara

Arcane
Dev's still working away on that major expansion DLC

Expansion Development Update
Hi everyone! We are still working as hard as humanly possible on the expansion. We are currently in between Alpha and Beta stages of development so expect more news soon.

The expansion includes almost 100 new class talents, many new levels, bosses, a metroidvania style map, new game modes, and new weapons. It also progresses the story beyond our last conclusion.

Thanks for sticking with us! The update will be worth the wait.

We post updates regularly on twitter: https://twitter.com/Deaths_Gambit
Check out our Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/deathsgambit

Here are two video interviews I did recently where I talk about the expansion:

cheers,
-Jean

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have this in my backlog. Once the new stuff goes live, I might finally start this. Owners of the base game get this stuff for free.

Bara

Arcane
Well here's a deep drive trailer for all the new changes

Also what the hell PC has to wait a month after switch for the After Life Patch?!

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
So the expansion is out. A bit awkward that I started playing the game last week, but only got a few hours in so probably just better to restart with the expansion. Looks like it's almost like a remake anyways.

The original version is still available though, at least on Steam through the Betas.

... oh wow the story is a lot more spoon fed this time.

... Seems they've removed at least one easy "puzzle" in the start. They added a solid platform on top of the two dropping ones just east of Sanctuary, so you don't have to take the longer route around anymore in order to get to the treasure. They give you the air dash almost straight away, which I don't mind, afaik it was pretty early in the talent tree anyways. At least the controls feel snappier and I do like that the shield break is now a dash instead of the kick.

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, this game wasn't anything special, even with the Afterlife expansion. Just finished it on the base difficulty.

There were metroidvania and souls elements, but it basically felt like they were done in a design by checklist fashion. Sure, the elements are there, but they're super shallow and really go nowhere. The story and writing was a complete mess. Combat fluctuated between bad to meh, bosses were nothing memorable. The harder, heroic, versions of bosses felt like they were just damage checks. Art was fine, but nothing too amazing in my opinion.

I did like both Salt & Sanctuary and Blasphemous way more than this. Should probably finally play Hollow Knight to be honest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom