Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Age of Decadence - Tips, Tricks and Spoilers

Jason Liang

Arcane
Nearly every fight in Age of Decadence can be beaten with a character with no combat skills, using the correct tactics and preparation. The combat system is stupidly broken, which is why, among AoD's other flaws, the combat is shit.

Alchemy and crafting are combat skills though.
Even if you make this argument, you really don't need that much alchemy, or crafting. Most of the needed gear and consumables can be bought or found, including some of the best stuff. But sure, some alchemy and crafting is helpful for sure.

Parabalus

Arcane
Nearly every fight in Age of Decadence can be beaten with a character with no combat skills, using the correct tactics and preparation. The combat system is stupidly broken, which is why, among AoD's other flaws, the combat is shit.

Even if you make this argument, you really don't need that much alchemy, or crafting. Most of the needed gear and consumables can be bought or found, including some of the best stuff. But sure, some alchemy and crafting is helpful for sure.

Are you saying you can win all the fights with no SP spent on any combat skills, including alchemy and crafting?

All in the same run mind you, not just "hard" fights via bomb spam.

Last edited:

d1nolore

Savant
It’s likely you just missed the non combat options because lack of civil skills or missed something. AoD combat is punishing until you get a good grasp on it. But people have completed non combat runs so it’s possible to do that too, you would need to a bit of trial and error though unless you are already good with the system.

AoD is not your typical mainstream game though, you can and will fuck up and lose. Mainstream rpgs tend to favour the lowest common denominator; you will always be pushed through to complete the game like a book, no matter how bad your skill and knowledge is. AoD is more like a classical rpg where you defeat the game, or it defeats you and you have to reload and strategise. Some quests or interactions are harder than others so you need to use a bit of planning. Don’t just jump into gang territory if you are a talker, go talk and explore other areas, then come back with your now increased skills and resources.

A lot of the criticism around the game comes from people not accepting that the game can beat you, they are too used to modern BioWare handing them a lightsaber.

Think of a game like BG, if you are shit at the game and don’t understand the systems you can end up on a quest which you keep having party members die so you have to reload, sometimes even reload out of a quest because you fucked up and don’t have enough supplies. Once you learn the system and get an idea on the world you can plan and strategise and it’s not really that hard, but you can still mess up and have a npc mage tear up your party.

Many times in AoD I would test the waters and be like; fuck that I’ll come back later or look for another option. The arena is a simple example of that; you don’t just tick it off the check list you need to prepare and strategise, and likely do it in parts ie come back later, and even just avoid it all together if you are a pure talker - you don’t and can’t cover all content in one play through. For example I’ve played through twice but never explored the Abyss, neither character had the capability to do it, so you don’t. I plan to do a lore master play through at some point to see what it’s all about.

d1nolore

Savant

Are you saying you can win all the fights with no SP spent on any combat skills, including alchemy and crafting?

No, he’s full of shite.

d1nolore

Savant

This is such a load of bull.
So many encounters will kill you with ranged combat before you can waste all or supplies and many encounters start in very close combat. No dodge or block? You won’t survive to use all your supplies. Supplies are also limited so winning a couple of fights this way is not exactly unbalanced or broken, while you avoid 95% of the combat in the game . Your premise is bullshit, and you lack perception.

Parabalus

Arcane

So many encounters will kill you with ranged combat before you can waste all or supplies and many encounters start in very close combat. No dodge or block? You won’t survive to use all your supplies. Supplies are also limited so winning a couple of fights this way is not exactly unbalanced or broken, while you avoid 95% of the combat in the game . Your premise is bullshit, and you lack perception.

You can easily get by with 0 dodge or block, see 3rd arena challenger for an example.

You can also get by with 0 offensive combat skills by stacking training + bonuses, and spamming consumables.

But both of those, along with no alchemy or crafting? Very doubtful.

Jason Liang

Arcane

I probably wouldn't try it with zero alchemy and crafting. Like I said, some points in alchemy and crafting would make things much easier. As you know, my preferred weapons are poisoned hand xbows.
But you are the one that considers those combat skills, when they are clearly not considered those by the game:D

d1nolore

Savant

You can easily get by with 0 dodge or block, see 3rd arena challenger for an example.

You can also get by with 0 offensive combat skills by stacking training + bonuses, and spamming consumables.

You can if you are picking non combat options majority of the time. But getting by is a long way from easy and broken. System is pretty balanced for what it is and the mechanics have a steep learning curve so giving the impression that combat is easy and broken for a new player is misinformation. AoD combat is hard and punishing, until you learn the system then it becomes manageable. Combat is also avoidable.

d1nolore

Savant

I probably wouldn't try it with zero alchemy and crafting. Like I said, some points in alchemy and crafting would make things much easier. As you know, my preferred weapons are poisoned hand xbows.
But you are the one that considers those combat skills, when they are clearly not considered those by the game:D

How long before you get your hand crossbows and how much combat is avoided? Because without defence you’ll run out of supplies fast, and you’ll be reloading when you get unlucky with ranged opponents. There are also fights that you won’t encounter on every play through that you won’t win with this tactic, but you won’t know that because these are easily avoidable. I think you are overstating your non combat characters abilities.

Jason Liang

Arcane

How long before you get your hand crossbows and how much combat is avoided? Because without defence you’ll run out of supplies fast, and you’ll be reloading when you get unlucky with ranged opponents. There are also fights that you won’t encounter on every play through that you won’t win with this tactic, but you won’t know that because these are easily avoidable. I think you are overstating your non combat characters abilities.
No. Search my old posts.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/recommend-me-something.113478/page-2#post-4958811
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4963709
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4963238
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4953412
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4956654
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4962908

And this was even before they added the blue steel marculus in Teron

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

You can if you are picking non combat options majority of the time. But getting by is a long way from easy and broken. System is pretty balanced for what it is and the mechanics have a steep learning curve so giving the impression that combat is easy and broken for a new player is misinformation. AoD combat is hard and punishing, until you learn the system then it becomes manageable. Combat is also avoidable.

No, I meant clearing all combat encounters.

d1nolore

Savant

No. Search my old posts.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/recommend-me-something.113478/page-2#post-4958811
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4963709
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4963238
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4953412
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4956654
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-combat-build-for-a-first-timer.113202/page-4#post-4962908

And this was even before they added the blue steel marculus in Teron

Your posts disprove your points. They are a tale of trial, error, frustration, and luck not to mention countless reloading. How many 100’s of reloads did you have to go through to do this? So yes you are full of it and spreading misinformation. This is not a viable way to play.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Your posts disprove your points. They are a tale of trial, error, frustration, and luck not to mention countless reloading. How many 100’s of reloads did you have to go through to do this? So yes you are full of it and spreading misinformation. This is not a viable way to play.
No. I just know AoD's combat system far better than you do.

As for my points, why I feel AoD's combat is shit:
- Bolas, knockdown, bombs, longbows, hand xbows and alchemy are all broken mechanics
- The AI is gimped to never attempt to attack you with knockdown, since knockdown is broken
- The game showers you with the endgame or near endgame gear, like Old Faithful, Bolter, the arbiter, and the gear you loot from the Arena, once you get to Act 2, trivializing late-to-end game battles.
- AoD's combat is only interesting if you play without combat skills. If you actually play normally and level up your weapon and defense skills, the game's combat is a joke

All of which are true and clearly evident.

Last edited:

d1nolore

Savant
You obviously do, you’ve played every encounter 300 times. When you make these claims please put a citation indicating how many times you need to reload and get lucky rolls, reference your own posts.

Jason Liang

Arcane
You obviously do, you’ve played every encounter 300 times. When you make these claims please put a citation indicating how many times you need to reload and get lucky rolls, reference your own posts.
None of the fights need exceptional luck to beat. I win these battles by using actual tactics, not by "countless reloading."

As for trial and error, sure. How else do you learn to play the game with actual tactics? How else do you learn where to stand and where to move and which enemies need to die first, and which weapons and armor you need to prep, for each battle?

Learn to use bolas, knockdowns, bombs, longbows and hand xbows, and you'll see what a joke AoD's combat is. AoD's combat played normally requires near zero actual tactics. Which is why it's shit.

Last edited:

d1nolore

Savant
None of the fights need exceptional luck to beat. I win these battles by using actual tactics, not by "countless reloading."

As for trial and error, sure. How else do you learn to play the game with actual tactics? How else do you learn where to stand and where to move and which enemies need to die first, and which weapons and armor you need to prep, for each battle?

Learn to use bolas, knockdowns, bombs, longbows and hand xbows, and you'll see what a joke AoD's combat is. AoD's combat played normally requires near zero actual tactics. Which is why it's shit.

These are all your quotes:

I picked the Barbari fight because it's actually a very challenging fight. I'm sure that many players if they tried this fight with no weapon skills and 5 dodge would think it's impossible. But actually with strategy and tactics you have about a 50/50 chance to beat this fight, more depending on which level of cheese you're willing to use.

The problem isn't that you need good luck. The problem is you need not to have bad luck.
You can't afford to take a bad crit, and you take so many attacks that chances are one of them will crit. And they are all bad crits.
The strategy is sound, assuming you don't die.

I redid the fight again (only took 2 tries to win, and I goofed up the first time) and I took screenshots that I added to the spoiler, so you can see very clearly where the sweet spot is

There is something wrong with your brain if you've spent 100's of hours in the game repeating the same battles over and over, trying different builds and tactics..... all to prove that the game is shit and broken?
Look at all the time and effort put into the game by you. All the posts and screenshots! And you had a horrible time in the shit broken game?....

Final word; stop spreading misinformation. Get some insight and perception. Admit you loved AoD thats why you spent so much time on it.

:love:

Jason Liang

Arcane
There is something wrong with your brain if you've spent 100's of hours in the game repeating the same battles over and over, trying different builds and tactics.....
That's literally some of the most fun times I've ever had with a computer game-
- learning how to win "unwinable" battles in HoMM3
- learning how to win the challenge battles in Sengoku Rance, Rance VI and Rance X, and playing those games on the highest difficulty levels. Nothing comes even close to the feeling of beating Orochi in Sengoku Rance, or beating Medusa, Kesselring or La Hawzel in Rance X
- spending an entire evening to figure out how to beat the Shadow Dragon in Baldur's Gate 2 the first time

etc... It's just how I game.

Also, I do like shooting people in their extremities with hand xbows.

all to prove that the game is shit and broken?
With the best games (like Sengoku Rance and Rance X), the more I play them the more I realize their balance and brilliance. With AoD, the more I played it, the more evident it became that the game's combat was actually deeply flawed and shit. I can't stand games that are supposed to be "tactical" and praised for their good combat, but actually the AI is completely gimped and pozzed. Which is all AoD offers (although Underrail is no better).

Look at all the time and effort put into the game by you. All the posts and screenshots! And you had a horrible time in the shit broken game?....

I was fed up with all the dumb posts of people bragging about their dumb ax murder hobo. That is not tactics. And I was kind of disgusted because the work Iron Tower did that actually deserves praise, which is the careful, exquisite encounter design, is basically completely ignored if you play the game normally. Iron Tower actually made a good game with lovely tactics. They just decided to smear all their work under a suffocating, viscuous layer of diarrhea when they finally released the game. I assume they did that because they thought the players were used to smelling and tasting diarrhea on rpgs.

Final word; stop spreading misinformation. Get some insight and perception. Admit you loved AoD thats why you spent so much time on it.

:love:
Check my sig for my true feelings about AoD. In the end, just another disappointment from the past 10 years of rpgs.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

As for my points, why I feel AoD's combat is shit:
- Bolas, knockdown, bombs, longbows, hand xbows and alchemy are all broken mechanics
- The AI is gimped to never attempt to attack you with knockdown, since knockdown is broken
- The game showers you with the endgame or near endgame gear, like Old Faithful, Bolter, the arbiter, and the gear you loot from the Arena, once you get to Act 2, trivializing late-to-end game battles.
- AoD's combat is only interesting if you play without combat skills. If you actually play normally and level up your weapon and defense skills, the game's combat is a joke

All of which are true and clearly evident.

• Bolas and bombs yes, but even the former is not useful when outnumbered
  • Because knockdown is much better for the AI since you are outnumbered. DR AI uses it.
  • None of those are endgame equipment or comparable to crafting stuff
  • All of your saves have lots of combat skills, throwing for the xbow THC and CS
They removed the knockdown on xbows btw, they just stagger now.

Would be nice to see how you deal with e.g. the thief ambush or some fights in ganezzar, or bass ambush. Or even just Teron, with no combat skills.

spending an entire evening to figure out how to beat the Shadow Dragon in Baldur's Gate 2 the first time

Maybe you were just less jaded?

I doubt you'd find it as hard today.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Well, afaik you can't craft better bows than Old Faithful and Bolter, and some of the Arena loot and some of the other gear you can buy from Maadoran markets is the best stuff in the game. Besides which all can easily carry you through the end game.
The CS doesn't really effect the battles much at all. It does make some fights easier ofc by removing an enemy like Esbenus for example. Still, nothing that can't be compensated for by an extra bomb. Throwing is for rope climbing ofc but you can certainly do without if you really wanted the challenge.
There are some path-specific fights that are probably impossible with zero combat skills - the example I'm thinking of is fighting the entire Thief's guild early in Teron (otoh fighting the Assassin's guild by betraying them to IG I've done with zero combat skills). Harran's Pass is probably beatable without combat skills but it would also probably be miserable, since that actually is one fight with a large RNG component. Zero combat skill IG playthrough would be a well-deserved achievement. I don't remember the bass ambush. Other than a few other specific examples, I'm confident every fight is easily manageable once you get the Bolter.

As for the Shadow Dragon, it's true that now it's not a challenging fight (but then if I played it now I wouldn't go to Umar Hills immediately after escaping Chateau Irenicus either). But I do remember the first time beating it very fondly- and likely the reason why I'm so fond of Mazzy.

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
There's a hand crossbow for sale for like 24 gold in the first town.

But yeah my loremaster struggled to even beat the first arena fight without using bombs and he had really good gear. Idk how he'd be able to win against 3+ guys with more than knives and rags.

Parabalus

Arcane
Still, nothing that can't be compensated for by an extra bomb.

You'll run out of bombs to spam.

I'm confident every fight is easily manageable once you get the Bolter.

With no combat skills? Doubtful. THC would be too low.

There's a hand crossbow for sale for like 24 gold in the first town.

But yeah my loremaster struggled to even beat the first arena fight without using bombs and he had really good gear. Idk how he'd be able to win against 3+ guys with more than knives and rags.

You can space marine them down, easiest way if you have shitty combat attributes.

Technomancer

Liturgist
my loremaster struggled to even beat the first arena fight without using bombs and he had really good gear. Idk how he'd be able to win against 3+ guys with more than knives and rags.
I did it with a loremaster relying on crafting and poison. It's ok to delay arena until you have more stuff and SP. I beat 3 arena centurions with blue steel plate and spear, poisoned and sharpened naturally. This was the only fight on arena where I used a bomb. There are plenty of sharpening stones but you need to preserve bombs as much as possible and use them only in the most difficult fights if your physical stats are low.

So...I didn't listen to this game's advice, and tried making a hybrid character. Mostly combat, some streetwise.

I'm having a hard time at the mine outpost fight in act one.

Is there a good metric on where my combat skills should be? I have bows at, like, 74, and dodge at 70.

Jason Liang

Arcane
So...I didn't listen to this game's advice, and tried making a hybrid character. Mostly combat, some streetwise.

I'm having a hard time at the mine outpost fight in act one.

Is there a good metric on where my combat skills should be? I have bows at, like, 74, and dodge at 70.
Just use some tactics. For the first half of the fight, kite the melee enemy and force the crossbowman to come down to engage you. He can't move far, reload and shoot you on the same turn, and you can kill him easily by either basing him every turn or wait for him to run out of arrows. For kiting the melee, focus on fast attacks and poison to help you kite.
For the second half of the fight, use the worker fodder to shield you from the two soldiers. There are some choke points where you can get the worker to block the way so that you can't get hit by the soldiers.
Note that you want to do both fights one after another since if you leave and come back, the 2nd fight will be much more difficult.

Bow 74/ Dodge 70 is already more than enough to clear the whole game. As soon as you get to Maadoran, you'll get a bow that will boost your attack to 100+. Still, for your first playthrough, a good rule of thumb for all your skills (including non-combat) is 1-6 for act 1, 6-8 for act 2, and 8-10 for act 3.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom