Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

China to nuke online and maybe mobile games

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
unknown.png
Paradox kowtowed to China to such an extent that they sold part of the company to Tencent, and now China is threatening to ban Paradox games unless they radically curtail gameplay.

tu8jz8.jpg

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll play devil's advocate for a post here and say: this will not change much. If you're a teen, and you have an older brother, or if you're a teen, and you have a nice uncle, you'll do whatever anyway. And same goes for pretty much everything on that list. Companies are going to make the material harder to get to young children, but teens are going to be unaffected.

The only ones affected are possibly young pro players of online games. Like... I imagine this hits Dota 2 more than it hits Fortnite, really.

In any case, just like anywhere else on the planet, there is a difference between what happens in the mayor's hall, and what happens in the rice fields. (saying adapted to local culture lol) Laws will happen, some people will oblige, some will fake it, some will not. Life goes on.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
WOW BASED!! THEY BANNED THE FAGGORINOS AND THE LOOT BOXES!! THANK YOU BASED CHINA! What's that? You want to regulate my time playing video games per week? I'm not allowed to say our president's name or use his image in a game? I have to play the state sanctioned good faction every time I play a game? The games I play are not allowed to have evil choices I can pick or evil factions that I can play as? I'm not allowed to play games which aren't 100% historically accurate? If I do any of this I get sent to the gulag? THANK YOU BASED WINNIE THE POOH YOU'VE SAVED GAMING!!!

Norfleet

If China wants to destroy its gaming market, I don't really see that as a BAD thing, since it will mean that people outside of China stop trying to cater to them entirely.

I forsee that the only games which will be safe in China are things that are purely abstract, like Tetris.

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned
Those rules basically ban RPGs with interesting choice and consequence of any kind, in fact any game with a remotely grey situation.

Codex of old would have called that banal and popamole, but because they're banning gays it's apparently based.
Has moral ambivalence in American pop culture improved the United States and the morale of its people?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
we are talking here about AAA business mostly, the things we play here are mostly A or AA max which will be perfectly fine in China

The Chinks would happily ban all of Codex' Top 10, including PS:T for doing funny thing to corpses, book of evil deeds and cultooral appropriation of Buddhism.

?? Dude every communist country run its spying operation on citizents. In Poland there were literally 100ks of SB agents who willingly or not ratted out what is happening in communities to goverment. Germany ? Stazi and so on.

The commies have clearly lost their grip on power in Poland in the last decade of their rule. These weren't the 50's anymore. It was at times like Tiananmen, with student protests and the like. Except they never got crushed, only got beaten by ZOMO while largely achieving their goals. Also, Solidarność.

Cosmic

Literate
WOW BASED!! THEY BANNED THE FAGGORINOS AND THE LOOT BOXES!! THANK YOU BASED CHINA! What's that? You want to regulate my time playing video games per week? I'm not allowed to say our president's name or use his image in a game? I have to play the state sanctioned good faction every time I play a game? The games I play are not allowed to have evil choices I can pick or evil factions that I can play as? I'm not allowed to play games which aren't 100% historically accurate? If I do any of this I get sent to the gulag? THANK YOU BASED WINNIE THE POOH YOU'VE SAVED GAMING!!!

China's taking away my freedoms and putting the boot all the way down my throat but it's ok because I don't see as many flamboyant guys as often!

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
See if it was just banning gays along with the actually destructive censorship that limits writing options, I would have an ambivalent attitude. But banning anime as well? It's too good to be true. Just fantastic!

I'm not being ironic either, the psychological damage dealt to soy millenials by anime is serious.

Even though the writing restrictions are a real negative, even many of those are very based. I think it's a net positive.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Imagine acting like you care about your own history when you're the ones who ruined it yourselves, lol. ‘History’ = a series of guys killing each other for the sake of le epic material advancement and dumb patriotism. You know, none of the stuff that actually means anything.

Games and anime are bad, kids should care only REAL things, like getting a job and having children and contributing to society. Not because of any fulfillment that could come from them, lolno, you're just supposed to do it because you're a slave to materialism. muh industry > your life, your soul, your spirit

Gastrick

Cipher
Impolite language, glorifying the "bad" side of world war II, having colonies in Civilization, any blood, treasure hunting, RNG, drinking, anything japanese... What shit rules, too bad that over a billion people are run by such a stupid government. Also, China doesn't have a gay problem, that fag pride stuff almost doesn't exist there, so it doesn't matter much.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
China to ban video games featuring same-sex relationships, ‘effeminate’ men and moral choices
Lily Wakefield
Sat, 2 October 2021, 11:50 am·2-min read
db50d51e4e68bae9efb6ff22e7bbdf42

China will ban video games featuring same-sex relationships, ‘effeminate’ men and moral choices, according to a leaked memo.

The internal memo from a recent internal training by the state-backed gaming association was revealed by the South China Morning Post, lays out new restrictions for approving video games in China.

According to the publication, the memo said that video games must not be viewed as “pure entertainment”, and should instead convey “a correct set of values”.

Games that feature queer relationships or “effeminate males”, the memo states, should not be approved for release in China.

“If regulators can’t tell the character’s gender immediately, the setting of the characters could be considered problematic and red flags will be raised,” it added.

Games that allow players to make moral choices between good and evil should also not be approved, according to the memo.

“Some games have blurred moral boundaries,” it said.

“Players can choose to be either good or evil… but we don’t think that games should give players this choice… and this must be altered.”

The memo comes as China increasingly regulates its gaming industry, with the government announcing in August that it would be limiting the amount of time minors can play online games to three hours per week.

China recently banned ‘sissy’ effeminate men from TV
The leaked memo marks the latest move by China to crack down on the perceived decline of traditional “masculinity”.

Last month, China announced that “sissy” effeminate men would be banned being on TV, insisting broadcasters must only “vigorously promote excellent Chinese traditional culture”.

The official instruction was issued to broadcasters in China as part of a “national rejuvenation” campaign by president Xi Jinping to enforce traditional “morality” by tightening government control of business and society.

The government said broadcasters must “resolutely put an end to sissy men and other abnormal aesthetics” on screen.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-ban...Wa0t2bvMOX_F7Zy9q8ZXKcsAOx7c-kFe&guccounter=2

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
can't help but laugh at both sides of the retard spectrum focusing on the ban on gays
Yes,yes we all know,kwan great muh freedom muh constitution. Now go wait in the food line and conserve your posting because electricity prices go BRrrrrrr.
[poster has had his organs harvested for posting without first asking for approval]
I don't live in kwan :smug:. Ohhh look,you lost another battery bar.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
ChiCom authorities are shocked to find that kids are just buying accounts in adults' names. What are they gonna do next, become gold farmers?

https://www.rappler.com/technology/gaming/china-state-media-gaming-time-limit-loopholes-curb

SHANGHAI, CHINA

The People's Daily newspaper says loopholes exist whereby users can rent and buy accounts to play online games without restrictions

Chinese state media said loopholes allowing minors to bypass new rules aimed at curbing gaming play time to three hours per week should be removed to "prevent addiction."

China introduced new rules in August limiting the amount of time under-18s can spend on video games to three hours a week, a move it said was necessary to combat gaming addiction, but causing young Chinese gamers to express outrage at the rules.

"On some online trading platforms, there are game account rental and sales businesses, users can bypass the supervision by renting and buying accounts and play online games without restrictions. This means that there are still loopholes for teenagers to enter online gaming, which is worthy of attention," a commentary in the Communist Party's official People's Daily newspaper said on Monday.

The commentary also said that some game trading platforms have said that strict measures have been taken to prohibit minors from buying, selling and renting accounts. Gaming enterprises must "actively fulfill social responsibilities," "be responsible for the healthy growth of the next generation" and "promote the healthy development of the industry."

Families and schools are also urged to create a conducive environment "for the healthy growth of minors," according to the commentary, especially parents, as some minors use their identities to register for a gaming account, making the gaming time limit ineffective.

Authorities in China, the world's largest video games market, have worried for years about addiction to gaming and the internet among young people, setting up clinics which combine therapy and military drills for those with so-called "gaming disorders."

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
ChiCom authorities are shocked to find that kids are just buying accounts in adults' names. What are they gonna do next, become gold farmers?

https://www.rappler.com/technology/gaming/china-state-media-gaming-time-limit-loopholes-curb

SHANGHAI, CHINA

The People's Daily newspaper says loopholes exist whereby users can rent and buy accounts to play online games without restrictions

Chinese state media said loopholes allowing minors to bypass new rules aimed at curbing gaming play time to three hours per week should be removed to "prevent addiction."

China introduced new rules in August limiting the amount of time under-18s can spend on video games to three hours a week, a move it said was necessary to combat gaming addiction, but causing young Chinese gamers to express outrage at the rules.

"On some online trading platforms, there are game account rental and sales businesses, users can bypass the supervision by renting and buying accounts and play online games without restrictions. This means that there are still loopholes for teenagers to enter online gaming, which is worthy of attention," a commentary in the Communist Party's official People's Daily newspaper said on Monday.

The commentary also said that some game trading platforms have said that strict measures have been taken to prohibit minors from buying, selling and renting accounts. Gaming enterprises must "actively fulfill social responsibilities," "be responsible for the healthy growth of the next generation" and "promote the healthy development of the industry."

Families and schools are also urged to create a conducive environment "for the healthy growth of minors," according to the commentary, especially parents, as some minors use their identities to register for a gaming account, making the gaming time limit ineffective.

Authorities in China, the world's largest video games market, have worried for years about addiction to gaming and the internet among young people, setting up clinics which combine therapy and military drills for those with so-called "gaming disorders."
They will either nuke the industry or fine their parents. Most likely both. Also implement face recognition.....they have it for toilet paper in public toilets.

Norfleet

If kids are only supposed to play vidya games for a measly 3 hours a week, despite the fact that there are far more hours per week, what exactly do they do the rest of the hours in the week? Traditional activities of committing spraypainting cars and vandalizing buildings? I'm not sure that's an improvement. Vidya games are a generally positive influence on kids, my kids basically learned everything from math to history through vidya games.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, the problem is not video games. It's when a kid plays the same one mindless videogame constantly. Like so much about parenting, what matters is being involved and not just giving them doritos and a 2-liter of Mountain Dew and leaving them to their own devices.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If kids are only supposed to play vidya games for a measly 3 hours a week, despite the fact that there are far more hours per week, what exactly do they do the rest of the hours in the week? Traditional activities of committing spraypainting cars and vandalizing buildings? I'm not sure that's an improvement. Vidya games are a generally positive influence on kids, my kids basically learned everything from math to history through vidya games.
They are not kwans....

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
China keeps on pursuing it's based course: China proposes new regulations that would restrict playtime and spending in games

China proposes new regulations that would restrict playtime and spending in games
The draft regulations seek to impose time, content, and spending restrictions.

Chinese regulators have drafted new restrictions that would make it harder for tech companies like Tencent to profit from video games, live streaming, and social media platforms.

As reported by the South China Morning Post (SCMP), the draft regulations have been published by the Cyberspace Administration of China and would force companies to create a "youth mode" for their services and games that enforces clear time, content, and spending restrictions.

The regulations specifically require companies to cap on one-off purchases and accumulative daily spending, and are apparently designed to "strengthen the responsibility" of platform operators when it comes to protecting minors.

Under the new rules, companies must also provide a relief system for young victims of internet abuse and publish an annual social responsibility report.

The Chinese government has already imposed playtime restrictions on players under the age of 18, and in August last year suggested that online gaming is akin to "spiritual opium."

You can read the SCMP's full report for more on the situation in China.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Dude, the sweatshops don't run themselves.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
As reported by the South China Morning Post (SCMP), the draft regulations have been published by the Cyberspace Administration of China and would force companies to create a "youth mode" for their services and games that enforces clear time, content, and spending restrictions.
Doesn't South Korea (and possibly a few others) already have something like this? What is it with Southeast Asian countries and getting addicted to shitty MMOs? You never see a article about someone from there dying playing a single player game.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think there may be a genetic component to it. These countries also have lots of gambling addicts and I suspect bad MMOs are scratching the same itch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom