Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Redaxium - First person view. Stat-heavy RPG. Original title.

Developer
ss_07c8c0c9e6fc8139fa76add886cc61739818cdf5.600x338.jpg

I mean wtf. His excellence is showing this off.
what the fuck. not even pre alpha everquest looked this gay

Thankyou for comparing my game to an MMO.

I actually have some ideas for improving the look of my game based on a different MMO.
One that looks like shit in its prealpha too. Coincidence.

Not making excuses but I'm a one man team. I cannot focus my energy into one thing when so many others need help.

The word texture means different things to different people. To some it's an excuse to copy the most realistic stuff and just make it work.
You get a quick payoff because it looks like something you recognize and implicitly has qualities you copied and didn't have to think through that much.

To others texture means to come up with a look and as long as that look is stylized, quality almost doesn't matter. Is it too blurry? No? Then congratulations you're done.

I'm somewhat trapped between these worlds of textures that aim for a look, and textures that actually look like something.

Professionals will tell you there is no compromise, only laziness. They are just trying to impress you.

Overly designed worlds are a real threat to a good game. Iteration is ofcourse perfectly acceptable and necessary.
But you don't want people making different parts of the sandwhich without first knowing what sandwhich you're suppose to be making.
Anything worth making you won't know exactly what it will be like no matter how certain you are at the beginning.

Again true professionals will say design and communication would resolve this. Good for them.
But now they're committed to a design down to the details.
That's a trap unless you have the money/time and commitment to go back and do things you'll get wrong anyway.

Shake your fists all you like, anything worth making isn't so decidable upfront.
Too much stimulation = bad idea. Gameplay-dev is still in progress.

In b4 everquest was made over night by 1 person and textures for pre-alpha took like 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Developer
I've updated the game to 0.78.

What's in the update:
Game will now tell you how to interact with things when you are close enough to them.

A tutorial is still planned, but this should be what everyone needed to make the game truly more accessible.

edit: and it seems I broke the interaction menu.
edit#2: fixed (I hope).

bTCcpRi.png

https://i.imgur.com/bTCcpRi.png

Last edited:
Developer
Hello men.

A couple rules and guidelines.

-Those who upload youtube videos of playing the game will tend to get their grievances addressed first.
It helps to see exactly what's going wrong and to see what people do when they play the game.

-Don't recommend features if you quite literally never intend to play the game.
I have zero tolerance for people who do nothing but launch the game run around and combat.. who then reveal they know nothing about the game outside that.
This is not a Korean ORPG.

Now imagine how I would respond if you tell me you don't even play the game.

Sorry but my time is precious, don't waste it.

When you waste a developer's time you waste every other person's time who plays the game.

I can't polish the turd that is your opinion when my time is so much more valuable.
It may sound arrogant but that is the literal truth.

Perhaps it's my fault.
Maybe if the game had a higher price people would be forced to confront the reality of what they own rather than ignore it.
I suspect more returns would occur as well, but life always has these tradeoffs.

I do appreciate many are being patient with me and that you have your own lives.

Please stay in good health as the best is yet to come.

Developer
The game is about to get INFINITELY better. Not just in one way but in MULTIPLE ways.

I am about to attempt some of the most ambitious things imaginable. This is no vaporware initiative.

Soon without Redaxium, you won't be sure how you could have gotten along at all.

I've done my research. I wouldn't jeopardize my future if I didn't know what I was doing.

If I had a publisher i'm sure they'd be racing to print strategy guides, magazine articles, and box art.

This is about be one of the biggest games ever.

Developer
This month is the last month the game will be in Early Access.
The price is expected to climb by another 5 to 10$ after.

I have a ridiculous amount left to do.

By pushing this out to the end of the month i've already exceeded my original estimate of 1 to 2 months.

d1nolore

Savant

By pushing this out to the end of the month i've already exceeded my original estimate of 1 to 2 months.
Are you going to update the UI before leaving EA?

Developer

Are you going to update the UI before leaving EA?

Ideally. A new pass on the UI comes last.

Developer
Game over. I can't continue.

Redaxium has slowly and in some cases rapidly become the best of bad options.

Game development means to me that I must have fun or I must have pride. When there is no time for either, what's the point in bothering to try?

I have no problem dying for something I believe in. But I don't believe in this anymore.

No players + No money = No business = No future = No point.

The most interesting things I could do to put the project back on track would be kind of sloppy and require multiple refinements.

Mine's a game that needs to 1) WORK 2) LEGIT HAVE THE GOODS

RPGs are extremely obnoxious because:
1) They need to be finished.
2) They need to be of high quality of whatever they are aiming for.
3) They must maintain a persuasive theme throughout.

RPGs are the opposite of an easy to make game. Especially if it's a going to be game I myself care about.

How can I defend my creation if i can't finish it?

The enemy controlls everything, they must be resisted. They cannot be resisted if you let them steal the potential of something.

I've faced one too many setbacks. If it wasn't so serious I wouldn't admit to it.

The silver lining here is my defeat. And i've perhaps always been defeated.

I'll quickly throw together content to satisfy the store page objectives, then i'm fucking done with this.

I don't do irrationality well.

Shin

Cipher
I'm sort of surprised that you meant for this game to be commercially successful. It was quite noble to see you battle with the naysayers and your autism and I sort of expected you'd be plodding along on this project for the next 20 years. The main advantage of creating a game that looks it was designed by a blind person is that it won't look much worse in 20 years. But yeah, if you need actual revenue from this thing and/or the respect of your fellow human being, this wasn't going to be a success. Perhaps one day you'll either win the lottery or be the inheritor of unimaginable wealth by the passing of some distant relative and you'll be free to work on your crappy looking dream game again. Because, despite the autism (or maybe because of it), I do applaud your ambition in undertaking the gargantuan task of 'building your own cRPG'.

Developer
I'm sort of surprised that you meant for this game to be commercially successful. It was quite noble to see you battle with the naysayers and your autism and I sort of expected you'd be plodding along on this project for the next 20 years. The main advantage of creating a game that looks it was designed by a blind person is that it won't look much worse in 20 years. But yeah, if you need actual revenue from this thing and/or the respect of your fellow human being, this wasn't going to be a success. Perhaps one day you'll either win the lottery or be the inheritor of unimaginable wealth by the passing of some distant relative and you'll be free to work on your crappy looking dream game again. Because, despite the autism (or maybe because of it), I do applaud your ambition in undertaking the gargantuan task of 'building your own cRPG'.

"Perhaps one day you'll either win the lottery or be the inheritor of unimaginable wealth"
If I could count on these things I wouldn't be worried. But I owe something to by debtors that includes me, and those who want a finished game.
This project must come to a close precisely because the only thing of significance I can and must do is the storepage goals/objectives I set.

",,this game to be commercially successful"
Just living can be costly in some show-stopping ways.
As a hobby the project is majorly successful. But it was never about just that.
Something like patreon may have been far better suited.

"plodding along on this project for the next 20 years"
Sort of like Dwarf Fortress I suppose?
That would be a great idea actually. But the infrastructure and content isn't there for it.

Despite everything that has gone wrong, there's no question the project was made better.
This was not all for nothing.

Anyway in true autistic fashion I'm going to update the game today. Maybe in a couple hours.
There are some changes some people probably would like to see.

edit: update is out. 0.79

Last edited:
Developer
Your game gives me the feeling of an art project, because gameplay is trippy and weird. It is an acomplishement, you gained experience making it. That's a nice flex.
On the other side I can't imagine your game being popular as a good game, but rather as a meme game.
Good game need a good gameplay, I think. If you look at Dream Quest for example. Looks bad, plays good, people love it. Your game plays and look weird, it is kinda hilarious in a way.
I know it was a lot of work for a one person to make, 3d with rpg systems is a very ambitious thing to do.
To get this thing going, you'll need a famous gamer Youtuber to show your game on it's channel, and maybe then his minions will buy it for the lolz, I think.

It sounds like what has happened then, is for some people their first impression is that of a movie or painting, because of the distinctiveness of art and the missing gameplay to empower that art.
You feel it is a plot told through the visuals and not anything real happening.

Or maybe more generously the game feels like a pop-up disney ride. Or in the spirit of halloween, it's a horror house.
Although it sounds like you see this as more of a meme-house. But instead the memes are just the gameplay that you feel isn't really good.
If so that's like saying the memes themselves aren't even very good by themself. Leaving just art. Thus you recommend to focus on memery as the singular challenge.

But there should be a difference between what a meme communicates and what was used to communicate the meme.
However this very line of thought is getting quite paradoxical.

My guess is if I simply made things more engaging, and gave the player more (non-sandboxy) decisions you will change your perspective.

I'll try to keep this metric in mind from now on.

Last edited:
Developer
New update. 0.80!

-Change: Decorated Enlightened Temple Way for Halloween.
There's also some candy to find there!
-New: Added Sphere Hunter. Gives quests to hunt golden spheres.
The hunter is at Temple Way.
Completing one of the quests adds to your MiscQuests score.
These quests don't save with your game, so you should be ready to complete them if you start one.
-Fixed: A bunch of regressions that were interrupting the save/load process.

If you are unable to find candy, don't panic. Tomorrow an update is planned to add more ways.

I've put Redaxium on a Halloween Discount. 20% off.

Developer
New update, 0.81! This concluded the halloween related content for this year.

-Change: Added a Bodypart Collector to Blastquack.
They are hidden in some hills.
They give 2 candies for 1 Bodypart.
-Change: Added two new containers to the world with guaranteed bodyparts to be in them.
Clue: doctor.
-Important: Bodyparts always have a chance to drop from npcs you kill.
-Happy Halloween!

Developer
New update, 0.82!

-Fix: GUI bug where clicking panel state wasn't cleared.
-Fix: Menus button was showing after dying.
-Change: Attempting to right-click items in inventory screens other than your player's,
will warn you.
-Change: Doctor now indicates cost of Doctor's Field's Pak.
-Change: Doctor's Field Pak in addition to healing an injury will now also heal for 50HP.
-New: Water SFX

Developer
New update, 0.83! Mostly QoL and bugfixes.

-Fix: An issue in preconf that would lead to catastrophic game lag and unplayability.
A better solution should be investigated later.
-Change: Uses 0/1 should be interpreted to mean: numerator is 0, thus you have no uses remaining out of max of 1.
-Change: When trading with a shopkeeper npc they will list their zero priced items, as Free now.
-Fix/Change: Scrolling an inventory now is disabled when there's nothing in it.
-Fix: Trade nullref bug if either player or npc has no items to trade.
-Change/New: Modified armor equipment slot graphic so it's more distinguishable.
-Change/New: Modified weapon/hand equipment slot graphic so it's more distinguishable.
-Change: Trading now indicates you are asking/offering item quantities not money.
-New: Help menu now has a Survival tab.
-New: Added help button to main panel.
-Change: Updated Help Menu information.
-Change: Weapon/Hand slot will not allow Books or Info items unless they are quest related.
-Change: Weapon/Hand slot will not allow Armor unless it is quest related.
-Change: Armor slot now only allows: Armor, Artifacts, Bodyparts and Temporary Power Ups.

Developer
New update 0.84!

-Change: Sun intensity lowered a little bit.
-New: Added more vegetation to Lagorigana.
-New: Added vegetation to the passage ways.
-Change/New: Added more ground blemishes to Lagorigana and the passage ways.
-New: Added hostile Sentry Turrets to the world.
These fire randomly, but will also fire directly at you if you get too close.
-New: Added Kamikaze Units.
These will rush you and explode.

r7s7QYa.png

https://i.imgur.com/r7s7QYa.png

I should mention the game is also on a 50% Autumn Discount.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1577940/

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Hey man that is looking pretty decent. Maintain your course and don't count on others only bet on yourself.

Also I read your patch notes and you probably are updating too much if that is your feeling. I know I did on my stupid mod and it made it hard for people to keep up.

Developer
New update 0.85!

-Added button to leave tent as an alternative to running to the exit grid.
-Added blemishes to every terrain.
-Added more vegetation to every terrain. (Except Prospercanius)
-Increased vegetation draw distance for every terrain.

Developer
New update 0.88!

-New: Added Mass Store option you can use to deposit all your items into containers and car trunks.
-New/Change: Everytime you loot from something your resulting inventory size is indicated.
(yes the game uses both inventory size and weight)
-Fixed: Main menu music now loops properly.

Btw i've now sent curator copies to numerous Steam Curators. A half dozen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom