Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - dark fantasy reimagining of FF1 from Team Ninja

J1M

Arcane
Nioh but with Final Fantasy monsters and maybe job classes sounds pretty sick
Like, imagine Red Mage gameplay.
Sounds fun, doubt they'd have the sensibilities to include Convert and Chainspell in the core gameplay.

Suicidal

Arcane
I watched a couple of people play this game on Twitch and it looked unironically fun. The trailer really undersold it. Now I also want to kill chaos.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I watched a couple of people play this game on Twitch and it looked unironically fun. The trailer really undersold it. Now I also want to kill chaos.
An acquaintance of mine had the same reaction. He thought the game looked terrible in the trailer but decided to give the free demo a try and ended up actually liking it.
It probably helps tremendously that he's a fan of the Nioh games which the game seems to be a slight reskin of (some enemies use the same skeleton/animations)

Suicidal

Arcane
An acquaintance of mine had the same reaction. He thought the game looked terrible in the trailer but decided to give the free demo a try and ended up actually liking it.
It probably helps tremendously that he's a fan of the Nioh games which the game seems to be a slight reskin of (some enemies use the same skeleton/animations)

The Nioh influence is obvious, but there are also other interesting aspects to the combat, such as the ability to steal enemy skills mid-fight and the various effect interactions, like shooting the fire elementals with fire spells to make the grow and become stronger, but if you give them too much fire they explode and damage all other enemies around them. On the hardest difficulty, the game looked challenging enough to warrant using all of these mechanics to survive. If the whole game is gonna be like that then there is potential for greatness here.

Cugel

Novice
Why would you make a FF1 reboot and not use the iconic designs like the black and white mages? Gameplay actually looks kinda fun though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played this, before they remove the demo. Played on normal, and was reminded how bad I am at these kinds of games.

I mostly played as the fighter class, unlocked warrior class, and also used magic for a little bit. Gameplay is solid, which means that Team Ninja are mostly doing their part. Performance is pretty poor, and I skipped all cut scenes.

There's some cool looking gear, and they seem to have a good effect on stats. I tried out the broadsword and mace in the demo. Never tried the spear. Both fighting styles that I tried seemed to play okay, but I preferred getting close up and personal. Your companions seemed to mostly be meat shields.

The final boss was a decent encounter. He was melee focused in his first phase, and then he goes melee/magic when low on health. Had to use all my potions to survive.

Level design wasn't anything special, but from what I understand, they will be redesigned for the final game. Environments were ugly as sin. They need to touch that up a lot.

Enemy design and fighting patterns were serviceable. Goblins, bombs, and some bats. All fought a bit differently. My magic usage was mostly focusing on the bombs, to stop them from exploding.

The stagger bar mechanic felt good. It felt good to break enemy guard by timing shields or parries. You get some extra hits in.

In general, it's not my type of game, but the game itself seems fine as long as you're in it for the combat.

CyberModuled

Savant
Alright... I'm sold.

Also is unfortunately EGS exclusive for a year but on the bright side, based on NEO's and KH Collection's release there, Square doesn't give a flying fuck about protecting their products there so there's a good chance it'll be Denuvo free so pirate day one.

Machocruz

Arcane
Big PS2 energy coming from this, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have some nostalgia for that era of Jap hack and slash games, especially the more niche ones. Think Chaos Legion, Sword of Etheria, etc.

Machocruz

Arcane
I normally loath Nomura characters, but in this case they contribute to the janky PS2 vibe. They look like rejects from The Bouncer, in fantasy garb.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
125.png

Delterius

Arcane
Alright... I'm sold.

Also is unfortunately EGS exclusive for a year but on the bright side, based on NEO's and KH Collection's release there, Square doesn't give a flying fuck about protecting their products there so there's a good chance it'll be Denuvo free so pirate day one.

same energy

i'm unironically hyped

Hassar

Scholar
I normally loath Nomura characters, but in this case they contribute to the janky PS2 vibe. They look like rejects from The Bouncer, in fantasy garb.

I think Nomura was The Bouncer’s character designer.

Shrimp

Arbiter

MOTHERFUCKERS

So basically the localisation team recognised that the constant CHAOS posting had become a meme and decided to cut it out. What they must've failed to realise was that the hammy delivery was a part of the charm.
Lame tbh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom