Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dread Delusion - retro open world action RPG - now available on Early Access

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.dreadxp.com/dread-delusion/

https://lovelyhellplace.itch.io/dread-delusion

Since Sukhāvatī didn't make a thread (in before Infinitron). https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ed-posts-allowed.57009/page-1335#post-6552566

Published by Dread XP of Dread X Collection series.

You can get a demo from Haunted PS1 Demo Disc 2020: https://hauntedps1.itch.io/demodisc2020

LONGWALK_1.gif

The world is broken. Its surface seethes with an undead curse, while humanity clings to flying continents in the sky. From mushroom forests to undead mausoleums, strange places and people await you. But will you find a way to heal this world - or seek power and profit for yourself?

1_EXPLORE.gif

With a beautiful retro 3D aesthetic, Dread Delusion is an open world RPG focused on player choice. Uncover a rich, interactive narrative through the game's quests, or pick a direction and explore by yourself.

2_DANGERS.gif

Carve your own path. A keen mind or charming wit can prove just as useful as a sword; and your decisions will shape how the story unfolds.

3_TOWNS.gif

Towns offer a needed respite for the weary traveller. Sleep through the night, trade goods, accept quests and speak with the locals.

LONGWALK_2.gif

Key Features:
  • Embark on a central quest-line that will decide the fate of the land, or discover optional stories and challenges.
  • With a varied skill system, there’s always an alternative to combat. Charm people, pick locks or use secret knowledge.
  • Upgrade weapons - turn a rusty blade into a mastercrafted clockwork contraption.
  • Amass a variety of powerful spells and potions to bend reality to your will.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/this-rpg-in-the-steam-next-fest-looks-like-morrowind-in-hell

This RPG in the Steam Next Fest looks like Morrowind in hell
The mood coming off Dread Delusion...!
dread-delusion-a.jpg

Upcoming open-world RPG Dread Delusion is, if nothing else, a hell of a mood. Soon after starting the demo that's now available in the Steam Next Fest, I found myself just chilling with the soundtrack and watching the hot pink sun crawl across the sky, fed by tendrils swirling into it and briefly occluded by blood-red clouds. A great vibe. Like a small Morrowind, but in the sort of Hellsville where the local tavern is adorned with the giant skull of a slain god who collapsed upon it.:incline::bounce:

In the Elder Scrolls tradition, Dread Delusion starts us as a prisoner. We're freed to hunt the leader of a band of mercenaries accused of the scandalous crime of aiding god-worshippers, kicking off the main quest, but soon we're free to explore, do side-quests, chat with townsfolk, join the thieves hanging out in the sewer, and all that open-world RPG stuff. Movement and violence are decidely of the era which inspired the game, which I can't say I'm super into, but that's how it goes.

We're also free to just watch the 'neuron star' circle our land of hovering islands while enjoying the music, and I sure did.

It's a pretty game. Lots of weird machinery and mushrooms and Warhammer 40K-esque servitors and just some great colours. Cracking soundtrack too. And I do like the wobble to everything, because I'm like that. I also enjoyed watching the plants you can harvest for alchemy:

You can download Dread Delusion's latest demo from Steam. You might have played an early demo ages back in the Haunted PS1 demo disc. The full release will follow, like, at some point. It's led by Lovely Hellplace, aka James Wragg, and published by Dread XP.

We've got plenty more Steam Next Fest demo recommendations for you too. Valve's free demo-o-rama runs until Thursday the 7th.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'd say it looks closer to Daggerfall in hell and not Morrowind.

There are quite a few demos on that digital disc.

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter
The demo is very very boring. You move super slow, combat is utterly braindead easy, and you spend most of your time slowly walking through empty environments waiting for something interesting to happen.

Maybe the game gets more interesting past the demo area, but it makes a terrible first impression.

Arbaces

Novice
The demo is very very boring. You move super slow, combat is utterly braindead easy, and you spend most of your time slowly walking through empty environments waiting for something interesting to happen.
Sounds a lot like Morrowind! It even has the stamina meter that punishes you for running. Actually, after playing the demo, the stamina drain from sprinting is even more obnoxious than Morrowind's because it doesn't recover fully until you rest at a bed. However, it doesn't seem to affect much other than maybe weapon damage. I didn't exhaustively play everything in the demo, but after the first real quest I was sick of it. There's not much to do but run around looking at the world and kite braindead enemies that beeline for you. The only place I disagree with you is movement speed which was fast enough; it's just that the world was very large and barren. I looked up footage from the older non-steam demo and movement seemed much slower. Did you play that one?

I'd say it looks closer to Daggerfall in hell and not Morrowind.
In truth it's more Skyrim with a PSX paintjob.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The UI was an immediate turn-off (Oblivion flashbacks), but I stuck through for about an hour before I gave up. As mentioned by previous posters, the world is very barren. I really wanted to like this, but travelling from point to point is a slog with little happening in-between. The writing is okay, nothing too hipster/edgy, and the premise is very interesting: think Gothic in a hellish landscape. Unfortunately, I'm just not sold on the gameplay. No mantling, no proper physics system, a very dumbed down RPG system with sluggish combat... I could go on but you get the idea.

I thought the game would open up some more as you played on, but nope, watching YouTube playthroughs, it's just more of the same.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

This looks more like a puzzle game. I like the colors and the weird world but it is a bit empty. I think the ghosty's words could pack more punch if not using words like Fucked. It kind of breaks the otherworldliness imho. It should be more cryptic. So the dialogue might be very weak and thus the avoidance of people. I don't mind walking simulators since I do that irl when hiking in dark forests alone, swamps, riversides, deserted buildings and graveyards, etc. That meter though..... I hope there is a way to make it last longer as you get more powerful as potions will get used up fast.

So, setting seems nice. Clockwork god, erasure, occultism, machines, a prison? Kind of cool.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Going on with the comparison, I think the game is set on homaging the style of King's Field series, rather than Morrowind.

Unfortunately, style alone isn't enough to make a good game. Hope the devs listens to the criticism and improves the weak spots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom