Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
panam.jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I got sucked back into playing it after checking in with the thread a few days ago.

Goddamn it's a frustrating experience, because there are lots of things to like - and then the next minute there's something you hate, or something that's half-baked, unfinished, wonky, etc.

When I finished the game a year ago, I thought there wouldn't be much replayability, but actually it is somewhat replayable if only because I'm playing a male character this time round, and the actor's "tone" is quite different. And there's such a ton of little bits and bobs that you can have a reasonably different experience in some parts of it. I'm experiencing lots of little things I didn't experience first time round.

But the problem is none of the difference is major, just little things that give a different flavour, but don't change the fundamentally on-rails nature of the story, or the jarring dissonance between the urgency of the MQ and the leisurely pace of the half-baked RPG attached to it.

tritosine2k

Erudite

>ultra realistic graphics
>no environment is reflected in shiny parts of the bike itself
Even if you play this at 360p you can still easily tell it's a video game. Is this supposed to be using raytracing?

Well it's raytracing, screen space tracing (SSR).

And SSR cannot handle stuff outside viewport for one, and there are other error mechanisms too, but in the end it gets you tons of blurred specular highlights and that's more important than mirror like reflection "here and there"( you aren't supposed to look at for long anyhow), and ofcourse mirror stuff is pushed with rtx because it's a cheap red herring vs. blurred specular or actual soft shadows.

Carmack foretold this will happen almost a decade ago:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...rd/?comments=1&post=23723213#comment-23723213

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
that scene was worse than the famous tlou2 sex scene. that "woman" has the worst man face i've ever seen, i'd rather get pegged by judy than ever seeing that shit again

Perkel

Arcane
Where are all those cdpr defenders that were bashing me when i told the game sucked even before the release? Who Is laughting now?

Game is great. Waiting for DLC expansion. Speaking of which it should be around this time when they announce it maybe early next year.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just wait for the first expansion, gurugeorge. Not worth replaying it for its own sake until then imho.

lol, I couldn't help it, once I started playing I couldn't stop :) Truly, if you explore the place on foot you come across all sorts of curiosities, they packed the game with lots of "things to come across," which shows that at least some of the people working on it at some point were dedicated to making it a great RPG.

Night City really is a marvelous graphical/audio realization of a cyberpunk dystopia. It's got the neon rain-soaked vibe if you want it, but it's also got that very American-feeling forlorn sunburnt dusty daytime vibe too, which is quite what you'd imagine such a place would be like in California - it's already halfway to being Fallout land. (It's also quite Polish-feeling, funnily enough - if you've ever been to Poland a lot of the time it's sun-baked and dusty like that, with the same sort of reddish dirt dust everywhere.)

The guy who said it up-thread is quite right, there's no other game that offers as authentic a cyberpunk vibe (except I'd say perhaps the first two Syndicate games), and it's going to be the go-to game if you want that vibe for years to come, provided CDPR (and/or modders) manage to wrestle it into better shape gameplay-wise over time. I've gone past dumpster-fire-entertainment and schadenfreude, and I really hope they do get it together.

Learned
The foundation is solid, but it's so obvious that the systems are too disconnected and some are outright nonsensical because of mismanagement/miscommunication. Just throwing money and people at something doesn't always guarantee good results.

Extra content of expansions aside, version 2.0 should arrive with a significant perk/item/combat overhaul. I still believe that there is potential here.

ferratilis

Magister
It's now confirmed, they have no idea what they're doing with this game. At least they admit it, so something can still be salvaged, maybe.

https://www.gamebyte.com/cyberpunk-2077-wants-your-feedback-on-its-quests/
Cyberpunk 2077 Wants Your Feedback On Its Quests

Paweł Sasko, the lead designer for quests on Cyberpunk 2077, is asking for players’ feedback to help improve the game. It may even influence future CDPR projects.

Cyberpunk 2077 was extremely controversial when it came out. CD Projekt Red issued a public apology for the way the game was released, after bugs and crashes plaguing the launch. The game particularly struggled on the PS4 and Xbox One. It was even pulled from the PlayStation Store and Sony offered refunds to anyone who wanted one. Not only that, but DLC and updates have been hit with continual delays.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
It's now confirmed, they have no idea what they're doing with this game. At least they admit it, so something can still be salvaged, maybe.

https://www.gamebyte.com/cyberpunk-2077-wants-your-feedback-on-its-quests/
Cyberpunk 2077 Wants Your Feedback On Its Quests

Paweł Sasko, the lead designer for quests on Cyberpunk 2077, is asking for players’ feedback to help improve the game. It may even influence future CDPR projects.

Cyberpunk 2077 was extremely controversial when it came out. CD Projekt Red issued a public apology for the way the game was released, after bugs and crashes plaguing the launch. The game particularly struggled on the PS4 and Xbox One. It was even pulled from the PlayStation Store and Sony offered refunds to anyone who wanted one. Not only that, but DLC and updates have been hit with continual delays.

Lol it's simple and I dont know what the fuck are they asking about this.

Real quests aka side jobs like Panam storyline, River storyline, Judy storyline or Peralez quest were generally good and there should be much more of these types of quests. Gigs were pretty boring and samey but there were some good ones that had more effort put into them like the gig with cop investigating smuggling operation or the one where you had to infiltrate corpo hotel to kill one of biotechnicas managers. Copy and pasted gigs were shit. Conclusion make more side jobs you niggers and put more effort and story into gigs.

Wesp5

Arcane

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The easiest thing they could do and should do is to make visual changes to the city itself as majority of it just doesnt feel like a cyberpunk world. I would like to see city darker, foggier, to give impression of heavy pollution. More npcs as beggars, junkies, make more areas feel dangerous with little police presence and civilians leisurely walking.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They're probably asking for the expansions/DLC. They're still on the roadmap and the game has sold enough to justify making them.

That roadmap is the laziest excuse for a roadmap in history of gaming. Its basically one year worth of patches that only fixes bugs and dont put in anything of value in the game, plus few cosmetic dlc for first person game.

If those patches actually put back in the game things like parts of character creation that we saw in promotional material then fine, but this is just laziness.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Lol it's simple and I dont know what the fuck are they asking about this.

Real quests aka side jobs like Panam storyline, River storyline, Judy storyline or Peralez quest were generally good and there should be much more of these types of quests. Gigs were pretty boring and samey but there were some good ones that had more effort put into them like the gig with cop investigating smuggling operation or the one where you had to infiltrate corpo hotel to kill one of biotechnicas managers. Copy and pasted gigs were shit. Conclusion make more side jobs you African Americans and put more effort and story into gigs.

Which means: the should have put more The Witcher 3 into it.

The main quests of TW3 are similar to Cyberpunk in that they feel somewhat connected to the main plot, and this is fine. However, their approach of less is more to shorten Cyberpunk because wah normies thought TW3 was too long despite selling trillions of copies is the main issue. Instead, CDPR tried to artificially stretch the game with a bucketload of mostly terrible gigs that feel exactly the same, which is the laziest approach possible.

Side quests in TW3 always had some dialogue and interaction with the interested party. You either know about the quest through one of the many notice boards or by talking to people spread around the game world. You then proceed through the quest, which, unlike CP2077, doesn't necessarily mean having to engage in combat all the time. You do whatever you have to do, and then return to the quest giver and get your reward. Many of the quests are simple, yet they managed to make all side quests somewhat related to the game world and plot. I don't remember a single quest from TW3 that felt like a chore, and there were dozens upon dozens of them.

CP2077 replaces all that game world immersion with half a dozen fixers that will call you whenever you approach a yellow marker at the map. You then receive a call telling you there is a quest, get an SMS with the quest details (which you don't even have to read, just follow the quest compass instead), and proceed to complete the objective, which always ends in combat. Right after you are done, you are told to leave the quest area and you get another call from the fixer to complete the gig, and you get your reward. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum. Nearly every gig feels disconnected from the main plot, and there must be like ten variations they loop through for every gig in the game (kill gang members, kill cyberpsycho, rescue NPC#2122, steal datashard, etc). And that's it, this is the extent of your interaction with the entire Night City: through phonecalls and SMS messages. You don't meet a single NPC asking for help, you don't interact with anyone but fixers, and you don't get to explore places to receive new quests.

It's extremely unlikely that CDPR will change any of that, condemning CP2007 to be forever lacking no matter how many patches they drop, because the base game is built upon poor design choices from its core.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom