Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Supplice - standalone GZDoom FPS - now available on Early Access

toughasnails

If you guys aren't tired of boomer shooters already, this is another GZDoom one with a female protagonist that looks p promising. There is a demo available on Steam and is well worth trying. The way monsters behave feels like alternate Doom but visually they feel closer to Quake 2 Weapons are maty af, shotgun is as satisfying as it should be. No jumping, no crouching, visually the levels are on par with the best modern wads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I downloaded the demo of this from the Steam Next thingie when i searched for all FPS and it is one that stood out - the level design looks complex enough, the music reminds me a lot of Unreal but without the technical limitations of a traditional module tracker (might be made using one of the modern DAWs that use tracker-like format but allow for more effects, etc) and the art and sprite assets are of high quality and most of them even look "pixelled in" instead of being made at a higher resolution and scaled down or something. Actually some of the textures do look as if they were made using Deluxe Paint (or some other palette-oriented sprite/bitmap editor instead of something like photoshop).

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Everything is starting to blend together and all these commercial Doom total conversions aren't making it any easier to see.

toughasnails

I downloaded the demo of this from the Steam Next thingie when i searched for all FPS and it is one that stood out - the level design looks complex enough, the music reminds me a lot of Unreal but without the technical limitations of a traditional module tracker (might be made using one of the modern DAWs that use tracker-like format but allow for more effects, etc) and the art and sprite assets are of high quality and most of them even look "pixelled in" instead of being made at a higher resolution and scaled down or something. Actually some of the textures do look as if they were made using Deluxe Paint (or some other palette-oriented sprite/bitmap editor instead of something like photoshop).
This was in the work work a long time, they announced it before the current boomer shooter craze. The thread on Doomworld was started in 2012, long before they even thought about going commercial or could have imagined that games like this would become popular again.
This is something that some dedicated and experienced mappers have been working on for a while and certainly not something cooked overnight to cash in on the current trend. It's no wonder that it stands out from similar new games.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This was in the work work a long time, they announced it before the current boomer shooter craze. The thread on Doomworld was started in 2012, long before they even thought about going commercial or could have imagined that games like this would become popular again.
This is something that some dedicated and experienced mappers have been working on for a while and certainly not something cooked overnight to cash in on the current trend. It's no wonder that it stands out from similar new games.
That's a shame, honestly. The current glut of boomer shooters that are a blessing and a curse for a game's popularity. Its entirely reasonable for someone to just ignore yet another homage to some game they might not have even played. This one in particular has it bad because there's Selaco, I think, which looks and sounds similar enough that it might cause some double takes.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Visually it looks great. I give it points for making the best looking game they could make with the engine instead of making the game ugly on purpose 'cause retro lmao.

Of course, the eye candy won't matter if the gameplay and level design are shit, but at least aesthetically it gets my boomer seal of approval. We'll see what happens once the game is out.

Kao

Novice
Played 1st level of the demo on 2nd highest difficulty. It was looong, about an hour to complete, although a lot of that is because I got lost and/or missed switches and other objectives which open up different sections of the map. Level flow is a bit lacking in that regard but overall the map is varied and fun to explore. Lots of monster closet hordes triggered whenever you flip a switch or pick up a key. Only three weapons (well OK 4 with melee) in the map, but they are all pretty satisfying to use. The shotgun manages to feel powerful and have a good fire-reload-fire rhythm to it without also feeling exactly like the Doom shotgun. Ammo placement is sufficient but scarce enough to necessitate weapon switching and conservative shooting, encourages but does not require exploiting monster infighting.

Enemies all have distinct roles and behaviors which are roughly analogous to Doom's roster, though combat often feels more build-Engine-y; I think this is because enemies often move faster and more erratically, or have variable movement speeds, and there are more hitscan or fast projectile enemies, plus the occasional swarms of fast moving, flying enemies which also shoot projectiles at you.

Ammo scarcity notwithstanding, difficulty is overall pretty modest and I was able to comfortably play through the whole map while only allowing myself one savegame each time I acquire a new keycard, which is the method I use for most Doom maps.

Supplice makes use of Marathon-style Terminal Screens where you read info-dumps of plot exposition or mission objective updates delivered by a cast of Sentient AI characters with mutally exclusive worldviews and motivations. Some terminals open doors or activate new areas of the map after you read them, some instruct you to go to specific locations, some are purely for story. I loved the Marathon series and so far this has a similar flavor, but the quality of the writing will make or break this over the course of a full game, and already I'm finding the terminals a bit verbose to the point where I caught myself skimming most of the text. It's a demo, so without preceding and followup levels and accompanying text, everything is a bit decontextualized which makes it harder to give a shit; might be fine in the full game or might be a huge drag.

Initially downloaded the demo because I had it mixed up with Hyperviolent, which at a glance looks similar, but seems more interesting with its combination of Doom-style FPS and 6DoF piloting sections ala Descent:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1409200/HYPERVIOLENT/

Unfortunately the demo of Hyperviolent doesn't play nearly as well as Supplice, though I think there's a lot of potential.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Those shotguns reminds me Daikatana for some reasons...
At least they don't fire everything at once

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm still midway through the first level, but I really, really like it as a boomer shooter. Uh, bear in mind though, I haven't played DUSK or most of the other boomer shooters. Anyway the level design is very good, full of hidden secrets and pathways, and each area so far has its own distinct design. In a way, it reminds me of Peterson's approach to level design, where a map can start out modestly sized, then open up into bigger hubs and interconnecting passages.

Very good use of lighting too! I got jumpscared a few times by the reskinned imps because those motherfuckers are almost impossible to see in dark areas (unless you crank up the brightness, which only a wuss would do). Guns have weight to them and pack a punch without going into Brutal Doom's overused "rip and tear" over-the-top action. In fact, the game is very fast-paced and though there are no hitscan enemies, you still have to think about how you want to enter a room/pull a switch. A bunch of reskinned chaingunners and imps can quickly take you down even if you're at full health.

Really loving this so far. Good stuff.

EDIT: Just completed the first level on Hard. 8/9 secrets, 99% kills and items. Couldn't find the last secret. Took me about 90 minutes :P

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
How is it compared to Doom? Does it feel like a standalone game or more like a mod?

Has a Total Conversion feel to it with the developer's own take on improving the formula, so it is its own thing but with the old-school roots in the right areas.

orcinator

Liturgist
Very good use of lighting too! I got jumpscared a few times by the reskinned imps because those motherfuckers are almost impossible to see in dark areas (unless you crank up the brightness, which only a wuss would do).
I got tired of it at the start of the second level. Game is too damn dark and I don't want to be squinting at shadows in addition to watching out for monster closets.

toughasnails

Gamma correction isn't working for some reason but you can reduce contrast in options to increase visibility.

Anyone knows what the switch by the waterfall does in the first demo level? Used noclip to get close after shooting it from behind the fence, couldn't activate it by hand either. (shooting does not activate or destroy switches in general). There was also another switch behind some cables I couldn't reach.

I would post screenshots but they came out showing only the "blue skull" title screen art, not the game itself. Unsure how that happened, may be a gzdoom thing.

Last edited:

Kao

Novice
Very good use of lighting too! I got jumpscared a few times by the reskinned imps because those motherfuckers are almost impossible to see in dark areas (unless you crank up the brightness, which only a wuss would do).
I got tired of it at the start of the second level. Game is too damn dark and I don't want to be squinting at shadows in addition to watching out for monster closets.

Darkness was frequently irritating because it seemed to behave like an N64-style “wall of fog” where enemies would go from fully visible to completely disappearing when they move just a short distance further back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom