Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline World of Warcraft past WotLK

Gahbreeil

Learned
Does anyone agree? Dispute me and the fact/truth it's just milking a cow which they forgot to put within the game.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I'll go to bat for Cataclysm since the first patch was actually a steep incline from the wotlk induced snorefest. Harder dungeons, interesting class changes and healers having to actually watch their mana. That didn't last long of course since blizzard always caters to the lowest common denominator.
Either way, WoW was in decline from BC onwards in my opinion.

Ravielsk

Magister
The Dungeon Finder system is a massive save for the game although not for the role-players. IMHO.

If there is someone who does not care for the quality of the game it would be the roleplayers. As long as they get to play-out their BDSM fantasies in Pig and Whistle they will be fine.

Dungeon finder on its own is a symptom, an early one but still a symptom. Blizzards mistake was turning the game into a rat-maze built around spamming dungeons to get the gear for raids and then to spam those raids. Somewhat automating one part of that process was inevitable.

Gregz

Arcane
The inflection point on this graph tells the whole story

wow-subscriptions-historical-2005-2015.png

Gahbreeil

Learned
WoD introduced Classic as well, right? I played Classic a bit yet could not understand why no improvements were in. It was just a reboot while it could've been a remake. I believe they fixed it with Burning Crusade Classic.

I played Classic a bit yet could not understand why no improvements were in. It was just a reboot while it could've been a remake.
Modern Activision can't handle improvements. Look at WC3 Refunded and D2R, yes these were somewhat outsourced but Activision still had the final say. Or look at modern WoW people playing classic to escape it and for nostalgia, everybody understood that once Activision started making "improvements" it would just turn to shit again anyways.

J1M

Arcane
Cata breaking the old zones was a mistake.

It solidified their approach going forward of ashamedly replacing the old instead of making the game additive. Today, nothing before the current patch is relevant, shrinking the decades of content to the size of a patch.

They also avoided making another zone like Storm Peaks, which assumed a flying mount as part of the levelling process. This was another bad precedent that has persisted to present day.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Instead of Cataclysm the Steamwheedle Cartel Islands + Flying mounts all over Azeroth, as in, no ships for the higher levels. Right?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cata breaking the old zones was a mistake.

It solidified their approach going forward of ashamedly replacing the old instead of making the game additive. Today, nothing before the current patch is relevant, shrinking the decades of content to the size of a patch.

They also avoided making another zone like Storm Peaks, which assumed a flying mount as part of the levelling process. This was another bad precedent that has persisted to present day.

The Cata revamp of the old world was interesting and ambitious, but the way they did it, making everything into a themepark mash instead of a simulated world was a huge mistake. It really ruined so much of the game's appeal.

The Dungeon Finder system is a massive save for the game although not for the role-players. IMHO.

If there is someone who does not care for the quality of the game it would be the roleplayers. As long as they get to play-out their BDSM fantasies in Pig and Whistle they will be fine.

Dungeon finder on its own is a symptom, an early one but still a symptom. Blizzards mistake was turning the game into a rat-maze built around spamming dungeons to get the gear for raids and then to spam those raids. Somewhat automating one part of that process was inevitable.

After having a 10+ year long break from this type of games, I play ESO now, and I’m positive that Dungeon Finder itself is not a problem. ESO now has the sense of community that I don’t remember since WoW TBC, and I played until late Cata.

It has a DF alright, but most people still prefer to group up within the guilds with known friends, who won’t act like retards (healers taunting bosses etc). Heck, I still remember playing Wotlk and queuing with some regulars, having nice chats along the way.

What IMO really was the real culprit, was the cross-server shit.

cw8

Cipher
Vanilla to WOTLK player myself. Legion was pretty good. Then it went massive downhill again after that.

Sykar

Arcane
I'll go to bat for Cataclysm since the first patch was actually a steep incline from the wotlk induced snorefest. Harder dungeons, interesting class changes and healers having to actually watch their mana. That didn't last long of course since blizzard always caters to the lowest common denominator.

TBC was the best version of WoW by far.

Garyxeao88

Novice
In my opinion, TBC is literally a better-designed game than retail wow in pretty much every gameplay respect. Combat feels better, your character’s impact, weapon swings, procs, and buttons instantly are representative and felt on the target. Crafting actually matters. But would WotLK Classic be better? We'll see it on September 26.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
But would WotLK Classic be better?
No, Wotlk is at its base a worse game than TBC ergo the re-release is not going to be any better. In fact most of the rot that has overtaken WoW stems directly from Wotlk.

Hobknobling

Learned
The inflection point on this graph tells the whole story

No, it doesn't. First of all, Activision-Blizzard has always been cooking the books when it comes to the player count. Second of all, they started to hunt down Chinese private servers when WotLK reached it's peak player count and caused a slight delay in the playerbase decline.

WotLK was already decline. Quit the game when incredibly lazily made Trial of the Crusader was released and never looked back.

Dr1f7

Scholar
you rate me reddit, but the reddit opinion is
"wow bad"
so really,
YOU'RE the reddit

haha get rekt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom