Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Two days
Hi again! Tia here, your resident bug whisperer and announcement bringer.

First, the big announcement. We’ll be releasing
RimWorld - Ideology
on Tuesday, July 20! At the same time, the free 1.3 update (which is currently in public beta) will become the default version.
You can wishlist Ideology now on its Steam page here! And also look at the original Ideology/1.3 announcement and the social roles update.

If you want to continue on 1.2, you can do that using the Steam betas feature. To do it: Right click RimWorld in the Steam library, click Properties, then on the Betas tab select the branch called version-1.2. This will stay on version 1.2 forever.

For modders: No need to break 1.2 support while adding support for 1.3! Keeping 1.2 support is as easy as leaving the old files in a folder. This document explains how to do it.

As for savegames, saves from 1.2 (and before) will load on 1.3 (assuming no mods break anything). In addition, non-Ideology savegames will load with Ideology. (However, if you do this you won’t be able to customize or randomize your belief system on startup, since the game is already started.)

Let's talk about another feature of Ideology!

Gauranlen trees

Every now and then, a unique
Gauranlen pod
may sprout near your colony. From this pod you can harvest a
Gauranlen seed
, and in turn plant a
Gauranlen tree
wherever you like.

Gauranlen trees are unique because they produce creatures called dryads. The tree nourishes the dryads and, in turn, the dryads protect the tree from predators and fire. These dryads are born from a dryad queen who lives inside the tree (and isn’t seen in gameplay). Each dryad says attached to its mother tree for life.

The first dryads your colonists ever see will be immature dryads. While adorable, these aren’t very useful. They become much more useful after they transform into their various specialized castes.

For this to happen, though, a human must influence the tree. This means carrying out a special ceremony to
connect with the Gauranlen tree.
While others look on, the connector will approach the tree, touch it, speak to it, and generate a subtle psychic link. This psychic link allows the connector to control which caste the dryads will grow into.

Choose your caste according to your needs. Some castes focus on combat:
  • Clawer
    dryads are extremely vicious, with high damage output from their long claws. However, they are also quite fragile.
  • Barkskin
    dryads a chunky and well-armored to soak up incoming damage for your soldiers.
Both kinds of dryads will dutifully enter battle to try and protect your colonists with their lives. The connector can command them like trained animals.

Not all dryads are suited for battle. Some are more useful at home.
  • Carrier
    dryads are big and gentle, and good at tidying up by hauling items for you.
  • Woodmakers
    produce wood for you over time. This is important if you worship trees and hate to chop them down!
  • Medicinemaker
    dryads have large bulbs on their backs that sprout herbal medicine.
  • Berrymaker
    dryads gradually shed piles of ripe berries.

The tree-connector must maintain and strengthen their bond with the tree by pruning it now and then. A stronger connection means the tree can support more dryads at once - up to four for the strongest connection.

Beliefs matter!
Any human can create the above dryad castes. However,
some people venerate trees in a special way.
For these people, destroying any tree is a crime, and trees have important spiritual significance. This creates challenges - it’s hard to find wood without chopping trees down. However, this belief also has advantages. Tree-lovers can connect with the Gauranlen trees more deeply than others and gain several unique bonuses.

First, a tree-believer can prune faster and better, and thus maintain more dryads in less time.

More importantly, though, only tree-believers can specialize dryads into the
gaumaker
caste. Gaumakers can come together and produce new Gauranlen pods, which can be planted to create even more Gauranlen trees.

In this way, a colony of tree-venerating nature lovers can grow their Gauranlen orchard over time and become powerful from it, both economically and militarily.

Dryads are awesome. They make quirky ribbit noises, they get tuckered out and fall asleep like other animals, they work hard, and they care about your colonists.

But trees live and die, like everything else. So what happens when a Gauranlen tree dies? The screams of the queen and her children will haunt you…

Bug you later!

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
I believe I can't resist this analogy. :oops:
0f0A73F.png

Edit: Jonathan "Zee Cat, Catacombs, that as well)

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
I don't understand how you people get time for all those side-systems. Whenever I've built my base up enough to start doing non-essential things, mortar teams start coming to blow me up :D

Eh, all you need is one or two sniper rifles to do some skirmishing with the siege team. Usually it is no problem to try to snipe the mortar guy before he finishes the mortar. And if they assault after you score two or three kills, you just run back to your trenches luring them to the kill zone and kill them like any other raid.

Or your use your own mortars, looted from a prior siege.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I like reading RimWorld patch notes sometimes
- Fix: Women constantly using the styling station to get a beard that they are not allowed to have.
- Fix: Royal titles wanting personal bedrooms don't like love clusters. Bed room owners are now calculated by love cluster rather than pawn relationship pair.
- Fix: Couples made of a slave/colonist pair want to sleep together, despite not being able to share a bed.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This thread is surprisingly dead, isn't anyone playing ideology?
I'm trying it out for the first time with my favorite scenario, surviving in the coldest place i can find.
rimworld1.jpg

And this is the ideology that's supposed to help with that.
rimworld-2.jpg
The plan is to rush a thermal vent and build a shelter around it just to have a place to stave off hypothermia. Then get some energy production and heaters and start drilling into the mountain establishing a food source quickly.
The first colony ended in 1 minute, everybody froze to death before managing to do anything so i had to scenario edit in some parkas. Second and third colony died because of bad mood induced tantrums and freezing to death.

Fourth colony was quite successful, unfortunately I had a manpower shortage and mechanoids started invading eventually killing me off. Fingers lost: around a dozen

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Forgot to mention what ended my last colony. It was a breach raid of one termite and two scythers. The damn termite had to be intercepted but the mf is so tough it took me a long time to take him down and the hypothermia started to set in. The scythers easily finished the job.

I played it for a while upon release and was going for a comfy mountain base, but the frequency of breach raids and them raping my mountain until it stopped existing just kind of got tiresome to deal with. I'm also waiting on some miraculous mod that will mitigate the wealth scaling system bullshit. Yes I am aware of combat readiness but it behaves weirdly and doesn't really perform what I want it to do e.g. don't let fucking floors scale up the wealth exponentially.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I played it for a while upon release and was going for a comfy mountain base, but the frequency of breach raids and them raping my mountain until it stopped existing just kind of got tiresome to deal with. I'm also waiting on some miraculous mod that will mitigate the wealth scaling system bullshit. Yes I am aware of combat readiness but it behaves weirdly and doesn't really perform what I want it to do e.g. don't let fucking floors scale up the wealth exponentially.
I see, it was the floors fault. I guess you have to live in dirt until you have an augmented army ready to go.
Having your mountain raped until it stopped existing sounds awesome. :P

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

I'm playing the multiplayer mod with a buddy, but on 1.2, since that was the stable version when we started and he doesn't have the DLC.
Might move on to Ideology when we are done, if the multiplayer mod is stable with it. My singleplayer attempts with a rancher tribe that refused to go high tech was fun, if doomed.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It's time for another attempt, this time on a flat piece of frozen hellscape with an average temperature of -90.
rimworld1.jpg
To deal with this inhuman situation i designed this ideology:
rimworld-2.jpg
"High life" and "Pain is virtue" are to help the colonists cope with their sad situation. Maybe we can export drugs at some point?
Transhumanists for the unique buildings and human primacy to boost production.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1722803450&searchtext=wealth Oh hello there, may i be of service.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
Last time I've played I've almost finished developing my space cowboys into a vault city. I had half a dozen buildings made from limestone and finished segregating pops into two stratas: citizens in uniforms colored according to their jobs and captives in rags slaving in the fields and on the frontline.
I found that I began to get bored of endless little raids that distracted me from building and roleplaying stuff... and anxiously looked at machine raids that began to occur more and more frequently. Because they would become even more of a distraction from the roleplaying, they would force me to turn the village into that retarded killbox fortress and because having robo zergs everywhere is stupid from world coherency point of view.
So the save had slowly died. It was even before the Nobility DLC. As far as I can see, the mechanics slowly move the game away from DF and in a direction of roguelike and don't find it that appealing in this case.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Good luck defending against mechanoids with killboxes. They outrange everything, and are happy to just shoot at your walls and make a hole. Often they come with some mood disrupting ship chunk, so you have to go to them, not the other way around.
Mechanoid events actually are specifically anti-killbox and keep me honest about it, and one of my favorite stories in Rimworld is my primary colonist getting her spine destroyed in a mech raid, and me spending 2 years feeding her in her bed until I can get her a bionic spine. I don't know what kind of "roleplaying" you are doing that would be disrupted by colonists taking damage or dying, for me it makes it more immersive.

Good luck defending against mechanoids with killboxes. They outrange everything, and are happy to just shoot at your walls and make a hole. Often they come with some mood disrupting ship chunk, so you have to go to them, not the other way around.
Mechanoid events actually are specifically anti-killbox and keep me honest about it, and one of my favorite stories in Rimworld is my primary colonist getting her spine destroyed in a mech raid, and me spending 2 years feeding her in her bed until I can get her a bionic spine. I don't know what kind of "roleplaying" you are doing that would be disrupted by colonists taking damage or dying, for me it makes it more immersive.
I had a nearly identical situation. In ideology, during one of the mech breach raids, the single shot they managed to get in at my colonist went right into my 16 social, 18 shooting leader's spine.
But it happened quite early in the game and I had to place her into a ancient shrine cryptosleep casket that was conveniently buried deep into the mountain alongside my base

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Were you aware of the colonist softcap? I wasn't until recently. I had 8 colonists and stopped receiving any events that could get me past that number. Also it became almost impossible to capture invaders alive, even when using only fists to beat them down. Also, there were absolutely no slaves to buy anywhere.

I found out about the softcap and that Randy had a much higher softcap. When I switched to Randy suddenly all this reversed and I had such a huge influx I had to build a prison complex. I can also tell you the AI logic goes full retard when you have a lot of colonist. It probably has something to do with preserving game performance with large bases.

So the best next step is the Archonexus quest, starting again with my selected 5 TOP guys. Five guys that are augmented with ultratech armor, weapons and implants. The absolute best this dogshit colony has to offer.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Were you aware of the colonist softcap? I wasn't until recently. I had 8 colonists and stopped receiving any events that could get me past that number. Also it became almost impossible to capture invaders alive, even when using only fists to beat them down. Also, there were absolutely no slaves to buy anywhere.

I found out about the softcap and that Randy had a much higher softcap. When I switched to Randy suddenly all this reversed and I had such a huge influx I had to build a prison complex. I can also tell you the AI logic goes full retard when you have a lot of colonist. It probably has something to do with preserving game performance with large bases.

So the best next step is the Archonexus quest, starting again with my selected 5 TOP guys. Five guys that are augmented with ultratech armor, weapons and implants. The absolute best this dogshit colony has to offer.

This shows the softcap numbers:

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/AI_Storytellers

This changes the softcap:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726096646&searchtext=Double+Population

Looks like the storytellers will fuck up your day if you get in the critical range. I didn't ever notice this, probably because I almost always play on Randy. I'm starting a game on Sara Spacer (from Save Our Ship 2.0), so I'm looking forward to seeing what her values are in this regard. I guess I could go into the mod files. Also looking forward to how she doesn't use the wealth of your colony to determine enemy invasions but focuses on your tech level instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom