Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Daidre, since you have played such combos, can you advise if barding for pets is worth it? Getting to heavy is quite feat intensive (unless Bulwark, but loosing Evasion sounds kinda bad... currently I like Daredevil due to flanking immunity) and pets don't get a lot of them. I'm wondering if I should invest in these feats. I saw there is some heavy that might be really nice for charging, but I guess that's late/end game?
Plus, how much does medium and heavy barding slow the mount down?
From what I've saw, Barding does not have a movement speed penalty. And Light + Medium Barding feats are imho totally worth it - I have found +6 AC armor in the beginning of Chapter 2 and +8 AC Scalemale in the mid of chapter 3. Plus it could be taken early when pet does not have 3 Int or high enough BAB for better feats.

Can't say about Heavy though, had played far enough to see any of them and on the paper max DEX restriction would start to hurt. DEX from Mythical Beast is nice but it is the second priority Mythic Feat for me (it means Mythic rank 4+). There is also -4 Size Dex on any mountable pet buffed with Animal Growth to account for.

So it all about pet class for me. Some things I've tried:
1. Wolf/Dog Bully with trip - Medium Barding, Outflank asap. No Crane Style (or very late) due to feat tax and penalty from Defensive Fighting applying to CAB.
2. Bully leopard, too small to ride - no barding, max dex, Crane.
3. Bulwark Horse - Medium Barding for Free + Crane. May drop armor later, but it hadn't happened yet even in the late ch3.

There are 2 Heavy bardings with insane effects.

Barding of Elder Beasts Heavy Barding This +3 full barding grants its wearer a +4 natural armor enhancement bonus to AC and a +3 bonus to CMB against large and bigger enemies.

Royal Guard's Barding This +5 full barding grants its wearer 10d6 additional bludgeoning damage on a successful charge. It also makes the wearer immune to stunned and staggered conditions.

Worth it for that imo.

Well, there also appears to be one Act 5 light barding which also has a rather cool effect: "Whenever the wearer of this +5 leather barding suffers 30 or more damage in a single hit, he gets the effect of winds of vengeance spell for 1 minute."

Where Winds of Vengeance appears to be a rather nice level 9 buff, that makes you faster (flying in PnP), immune to ranged attacks and gasses and dealing 5d8 damage on failed save to melees hitting you.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I do not know whether to laugh or cry at this point.
Spirited Charge:
KKBDrnS.png
x2 Damage from the feat implemented as additional Piercing(!) damage that copies your original damage roll. Applied after the crit multiplier. And it also work on all cleave made in the same round. And it probably would work on her whole full attack action when she'll get Pounce from the Skald with Greater Animal Totem.

volklore

Arcane
You hit lvl 20 before Chapter 4?
Why do you insist on wanting to hit an AC that doesn't exist in the game by that point? This is how you can hit him at the level you encounter him on Core and Hard. And"you can hit him" actually means "you can only miss on a natural 1".

The same character CAN hit him on Unfair, where Playful Darkness has AC 92 with +14 Dexterity and +2 Dodge: with Shatter Defenses his AC becomes 76, and with Finnean and Evil Eye it becomes 63. So with +54 to hit you will hit him on 9+, which is far from "impossible to hit", especially if you factor in Brilliant Inspiration and Ember's Fortune. And we are talking about Unfair with a far from optimal setup. Just using a Skald instead of a Bard gives another +3, bringing the needed result to 6+; with a character with at least 5 Freebooter levels we get another +4 and we only need a 2+ to hit him.
I agree with you on your main argument. But I don't think shatter defenses does anything on a shaken immune enemy.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I agree with you on your main argument. But I don't think shatter defenses does anything on a shaken immune enemy.

NJClown will now post some badly cut screenshot taken at story mode to BTFO you. Beware.
Being idiotic he decided to die on the hill of "PD is easy n00bs" while clearly he was built as a challenge to find other ways beside hitting to deal with it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Spirited Charge:
KKBDrnS.png
x2 Damage from the feat implemented as additional Piercing(!) damage that copies your original damage roll. Applied after the crit multiplier. And it also work on all cleave made in the same round. And it probably would work on her whole full attack action when she'll get Pounce from the Skald with Greater Animal Totem.

But on the flip side you have to play with the buggy charge, evens out.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Spirited Charge:
KKBDrnS.png

Its sweet, isn't it?

Makes me want to take the Greater Cleaving Finish line. Then again, no room for the Trip feats then and I kinda like those.

Parabalus

Arcane
Spirited Charge:
KKBDrnS.png

Its sweet, isn't it?

Makes me want to take the Greater Cleaving Finish line. Then again, no room for the Trip feats then and I kinda like those.

Can't you let your mount trip?

GCF is insane with mounted reach.

Daidre

Arcane
Nah, it is completely fine in RTwP and so addictively fun that it is my 5th or 6th Mounted character.

And TB... what could I say? Special package of bugs for all those nice people who were harping about TB mode, from Owlcat - with love.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nah, it is completely ok in RTwP and so addictively fun that it is my 5th or 6th Mounted character.

And TB... what could I say? Special package of bugs for all those nice people who were harping about TB mode, from Owlcat - with love.
Eh yes, I gave Camilla a Smilodon to ride and used Charge on enemy, Smilodon moved 5 feet and decided to give up :D

Then later I clicked Heal and clicked on ally that was very close, Camilla (not mounted) decided to cast, then wanted to move but stopped and action wasted lol.

Then later I told Camilla to go and disarm a trap but since she was mounted she decided to take a strange route and walked through a trap that was a bit to the side :D

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
it does break the narrative a bit if your party can just chill for half a day in the middle of a siege

Sieges could last for month, assailants launch an assault, then they break down and have to rest and re-evaluate the situation even if they have some fresh troops in reserve.
It's common knowledge...

Where the hell did you go to school?
I went to a school that taught me not to speak about things I have clearly not understood - a lesson that yours seemed to skip.

Sieges lasting months and longer is very obviously not applicable to something like Drezen in this game.
Maybe siege is even somewhat of a misnomer. It's more like a single assault or battle that is over in a few hours max once you join the fray - the only thing making this battle last longer is your party of six taking a nap in the middle of it while everyone else around you (both attackers and defenders) continues their battle LARP.
As I said, it simply breaks the narrative somewhat they are trying to establish in that "scene".

They should have made that "siege" either much shorter (at least your role in it) or indeed split it into a multiple-day siege where resting between battles was woven into the narrative and not somewhat awkward.
They could have solved that with making the siege have two parts, outer region and inside region. And they could have said that they fortified themselves in inner region and you need to spend some time to appraise the new situation and troops for recover so they let you rest once before it continues.

If you consider the Lanter King basically opens a "worldwound" to the first world and there is basically no resistance, having humans/humanoids resist a demonic invasion is already hard to believe, even in a settings with magic.

ArchAngel

Arcane
it does break the narrative a bit if your party can just chill for half a day in the middle of a siege

Sieges could last for month, assailants launch an assault, then they break down and have to rest and re-evaluate the situation even if they have some fresh troops in reserve.
It's common knowledge...

Where the hell did you go to school?
I went to a school that taught me not to speak about things I have clearly not understood - a lesson that yours seemed to skip.

Sieges lasting months and longer is very obviously not applicable to something like Drezen in this game.
Maybe siege is even somewhat of a misnomer. It's more like a single assault or battle that is over in a few hours max once you join the fray - the only thing making this battle last longer is your party of six taking a nap in the middle of it while everyone else around you (both attackers and defenders) continues their battle LARP.
As I said, it simply breaks the narrative somewhat they are trying to establish in that "scene".

They should have made that "siege" either much shorter (at least your role in it) or indeed split it into a multiple-day siege where resting between battles was woven into the narrative and not somewhat awkward.
They could have solved that with making the siege have two parts, outer region and inside region. And they could have said that they fortified themselves in inner region and you need to spend some time to appraise the new situation and troops for recover so they let you rest once before it continues.

Having humans/humanoids resist a demonic invasion is already hard to believe, even in a settings with magic.
Especially since those Demons can teleport at will...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Spirited Charge:
KKBDrnS.png

Its sweet, isn't it?

Would need a tripping one, like a dog/wolf/lizard, but that's less of an issue.
Despite great stats, I don't think the mount can achieve really good CMBs with their 3/4 BAB and limited feat support. Or pick Greater Trip for extra AoO when falling down.

Meanwhile I was hoping for 3 "free" Trip attempts with Leg Sweep, Pummelling Bully and Aspect of the Wolf from Drovier. Well, Leg Sweep sadly doesn't work with weapons, so that's 2. Still not bad given Tandem Trip roll advantage (sharing feat with mount) or the fact that in Turn Based you can't switch attack targets mid-round anyway (and you can't "re-trip" an enemy who is already down).

But that Cleaving Finish with Pounce, Spirited Charge, Mythic Charge and that Cavalier Order of the Lion Mounted Mastery to add mount Str mod to Charge damage.... hmmm
Wonder what exactly gets transferred to Cleaves.

Parabalus

Arcane
Nah, it is completely fine in RTwP and so addictively fun that it is my 5th or 6th Mounted character.

In RTwP I had mounts and riders going crazy and ignoring all orders, glad to know they fixed it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Spirited Charge:
KKBDrnS.png

Its sweet, isn't it?

Would need a tripping one, like a dog/wolf/lizard, but that's less of an issue.
Despite great stats, I don't think the mount can achieve really good CMBs with their 3/4 BAB and limited feat support. Or pick Greater Trip for extra AoO when falling down.

Meanwhile I was hoping for 3 "free" Trip attempts with Leg Sweep, Pummelling Bully and Aspect of the Wolf from Drovier. Well, Leg Sweep sadly doesn't work with weapons, so that's 2. Still not bad given Tandem Trip roll advantage (sharing feat with mount) or the fact that in Turn Based you can't switch attack targets mid-round anyway (and you can't "re-trip" an enemy who is already down).

But that Cleaving Finish with Pounce, Spirited Charge, Mythic Charge and that Cavalier Order of the Lion Mounted Mastery to add mount Str mod to Charge damage.... hmmm
Wonder what exactly gets transferred to Cleaves.

Probably everything, given that you can cleave Vital Strikes.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I saw there is some heavy that might be really nice for charging, but I guess that's late/end game?

Barding pays of from the start if your pet is a low dex pet, like horse, wolf, dog. There are quite nice all kinds of bardings out there as told before me. And no, it never slows down the mount.

Leopard is the king of tripping with dex to CMB feats but can only be mounted by little folks. And it's hard to surpass raptors badassness on that front.

It works with everything and yeah, all attacks from the pounce. Mythic charge+spirited charge+pounce+greater cleaving finish means a lot of dead in just one round.

BarbequeMasta

Learned

In RTwP I had mounts and riders going crazy and ignoring all orders, glad to know they fixed it.
It's weird but those bugs happen when you give the order to the animal companion rather than the character controlling it, the orders given the rider(even an old one) overwrites anything the mount tries to do.
So if you ask the rider to attack A at the start of the fight. then missclick select the mount in the middle of the fight and change target to B, it'll ignore you and keep going after A.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Shit fuck, this changes everything indeed. Didn't know he's immune to Shaken on higher difficulties. Then he is definitely very difficult to hit on Hard and almost impossible on Unfair without an ultra-optimized party. Then again, you need to be crazy to play this game on Hard/Unfair without an optimized party.

NJClown will now post some badly cut screenshot taken at story mode to BTFO you. Beware.
Being idiotic he decided to die on the hill of "PD is easy n00bs" while clearly he was built as a challenge to find other ways beside hitting to deal with it.
Dude, come on. He obviously isn't EASY, he can kill half your party in a single round if you aren't careful (and he probably will, the first time you encounter him). That said, you saying that you can't hit him on Hard is just... dumb. Even now, with my character built for Core, I can hit him on 14+ (I posted the sum of bonuses before). With Ember's Fortune and a Cleric's Brilliant Inspiration, right now you roll 4 dice and pick the best result, which means that you have an 18% chance of missing him (basically, it's like having to roll 4+ on a single dice). Even if Brilliant Inspiration was working as intended (right now it makes you roll 3 times instead of 2), you would still only have a 27% chance of missing him (basically, it would be like having to roll 6+ on a single dice). And again, this is with an unoptimized party.

It's weird but those bugs happen when you give the order to the animal companion rather than the character controlling it, the orders given the rider(even an old one) overwrites anything the mount tries to do.
So if you ask the rider to attack A at the start of the fight. then missclick select the mount in the middle of the fight and change target to B, it'll ignore you and keep going after A.
My absolute favorite bug happens when you order a mounted character to interact with a switch, a door, or a container. The mount goes berserk and you have no way to stop it. In the Grey Garrison, if you click on one of the weird doors that open from the other side, the mount will start running and will traverse the entire dungeon to reach the other side. And you can't do shit about it.

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Dude, come on. He obviously isn't EASY, he can kill half your party in a single round if you aren't careful (and he probably will, the first time you encounter him). That said, you saying that you can't hit him on Hard is just... dumb. Even now, with my character built for Core, I can hit him on 14+ (I posted the sum of bonuses before). With Ember's Fortune and a Cleric's Brilliant Inspiration, right now you roll 4 dice and pick the best result, which means that you have an 18% chance of missing him (basically, it's like having to roll 4+ on a single dice). Even if Brilliant Inspiration was working as intended (right now it makes you roll 3 times instead of 2), you would still only have a 27% of missing him (basically, it would be like having to roll 6+ on a single dice). And again, this is with an unoptimized party.

Nowhere I said it is impossible to hit him on hard, saying I couldn't doesn't mean it is a rule for everyone. Especially for pros like you. But since you are butthurt about the evil eye thing and I am living rent free in your mind you need to now to attack anything I say.

Anyway lot of talks, but not walking the walk here. Still using core and claiming is "EEEEEEZZZZZYYYY".

Sheepherder

Augur
Shit fuck, this changes everything indeed. Didn't know he's immune to Shaken on higher difficulties. Then he is definitely very difficult to hit on Hard and almost impossible on Unfair without an ultra-optimized party. Then again, you need to be crazy to play this game on Hard/Unfair without an optimized party.

He is kinda immune - char sheet says he is immune, the combat log says he is immune, but he got shaken by Frightful Aspect, at least he had the Shaken - Permanent under effects. Dunno if it really affected him tho, I just blasted him with Angel spells.

Aarwolf

Learned
Random fact: when you approach Treshold, one of the worst enemies you'll encounter is
the Storyteller.
That old geezer casts Shout like a madman, hitting demons and your party alike, because that's what helping me in the battle looks like in his book.

So be prepared and have some protective spells at hand.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Especially for pros like you. But since you are butthurt about the evil eye thing and I am living rent free in your mind you need to now to attack anything I say.
Don't get excited, everyone lives rent free in my mind. I still remember that time that Kalin was mean to me, and after 3 years and a ban I still haven't forgiven him. Hell, I still hold grudges against LannTheStupid and I can't even remember why.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm just doing The Plan TM. I've decided that the lategame paths such as Dragon and Legend and Demon and Swarm, I'll be doing separate playthroughs, full, from start to finish. But I'm in Drezen with my Angel, and check out this little nugget:

zSpiritPaladin.jpg

CodexTotalWar

Learned
You hit lvl 20 before Chapter 4?

Nah, I normally hit level 15 at the end of Act 3 with standard XP share.

I didn't get the bugged 110 AC version of PD though - in my game the highest I can get him to spawn at is 92 AC on unfair.

Hitting a 110 AC PD straight up at level 15 (i.e. not touch) might still be doable since Evil Eye + Finnean is basically a guaranteed -13 AC debuff. I might play around with that later.

Realistically, since you have access to Midnight Fane all throughout Acts 4 and 5, if you get the bugged version you can just do it at your leisure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom