Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster - New Remasters of Final Fantasy I-VI

Duraframe300

Arcane
final fantasy is probably the least jrpg-like jrpg, the devs have pointed to Ultima and Wizardry being their main inspirations and stated the combat was inspired by D&D

there were quite a few good jrpgs before ~2000 though, really haven't liked any modern ones
Those were the inspirations for most early jrpgs. FF is hardly unique in that. Same applies to Dragon Quest and that came earlier.

Story wise it also preceded lots of jrpg *clichees*. Of the nes Final Fantasy's I actually thought 3 was the most western. (IMO, very arguable.)

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Let the record show that getting high, installing Final Fantasy 1 pixel remaster from a shared library, and then playing hours straight is really fucking good. Which is surprising because I normally am vehemently anti-JRPG...Never played a Final Fantasy before and it's almost giving me Might and Magic level feelings of mowing the lawn of monsters and soaking up XP and gold, and spells being far and away the most expensive thing has M&M vibes too... as a dirty casual that didn't think he liked JRPGs and never played a Final Fantasy it's really relaxing. Hoping they'll run a sale on the whole collection but since there's a sale running now and they didn't mark it down I suspect it'll be a while.
The original Final Fantasy, released in Japan on the Famicom in 1987, is not part of the JRPG subgenre, which didn't even exist yet. In fact, it's based more directly on D&D/AD&D than nearly all Western-made CRPGs, evident not only from Amano's concept art but also from the classes (which are effectively the fighter, monk, thief, cleric, magic-user, and multi-classed fighter/cleric/mage), the spell system (a Vancian magic system only slightly modified from D&D/AD&D), the actual spells available (e.g. 3rd level black mage spells include fireball FIR2 and lightning bolt LIT2 that affect all enemies, and 4th level black mage spells include ice storm ICE2), monsters (to such an extent that trolls are green with regenerative ability and weak against fire, while D&D-original beholders, mind flayers, sahuagin, otyughs, and the Type V Demon Marilith are all present), and just about every other aspect of the game.

However, the original Final Fantasy was not released in the United States until 1990, and so the following year Squaresoft brought to the SNES a "Final Fantasy II" that was actually the fourth game in the series and very much in the JRPG subgenre, with a narrative focus on pregenerated characters, as would be the case for all later FFs.

Evil_Eye_Original_Sprite.png
Sorcerer-ff1-nes.png
Sahag-ff1-nes.png
Ocho-ff1-nes.png
Kary-ff1-nes.png

final fantasy is probably the least jrpg-like jrpg, the devs have pointed to Ultima and Wizardry being their main inspirations and stated the combat was inspired by D&D

there were quite a few good jrpgs before ~2000 though, really haven't liked any modern ones
Those were the inspirations for most early jrpgs. FF is hardly unique in that. Same applies to Dragon Quest and that came earlier.

Story wise it also preceded lots of jrpg *clichees*. Of the nes Final Fantasy's I actually thought 3 was the most western. (IMO, very arguable.)
I was vaguely aware that Wizardry was the biggest inspiration for JRPGs because of the fact that Japan is the one still gradually making Wizardry branded games, but the feel of playing this (The pixel remaster at least) feels more Might and Magic to me just because of how smooth it is although that could be due to the pixel remaster, I haven't once felt like I needed to stop and grind but part of that could be because it's my first time playing so I'm crawling over everything to find towns and dungeons. Not that M&M influenced FF, that's just the closest comparison that comes to mind as I'm playing. Lacking JRPG cliches is also probably true, they're acting like your party is a bunch of kids or teenagers but since the story's so light that's a bit up in the air, and all the other cliches have been squarely in generic D&D-land.

The original Final Fantasy, released in Japan on the Famicom in 1987, is not part of the JRPG subgenre, which didn't even exist yet. In fact, it's based more directly on D&D/AD&D than nearly all Western-made CRPGs, evident not only from Amano's concept art but also from the classes (which are effectively the fighter, monk, thief, cleric, magic-user, and multi-classed fighter/cleric/mage), the spell system (a Vancian magic system only slightly modified from D&D/AD&D), the actual spells available (e.g. 3rd level black mage spells include fireball FIR2 and lightning bolt LIT2 that affect all enemies, and 4th level black mage spells include ice storm ICE2), monsters (to such an extent that trolls are green with regenerative ability and weak against fire, while D&D-original beholders, mind flayers, sahuagin, otyughs, and the Type V Demon Marilith are all present), and just about every other aspect of the game.

However, the original Final Fantasy was not released in the United States until 1990, and so the following year Squaresoft brought to the SNES a "Final Fantasy II" that was actually the fourth game in the series and very much in the JRPG subgenre, with a narrative focus on pregenerated characters, as would be the case for all later FFs.
The spell names are rejiggered in the pixel remaster some. The AOE fire and lightning spells are... uh... Something like "Firaga" and "Thundra", and the 4th level AOE cold spell is "Blizzara". They did have things like duergar mountain where the dwarves lives, too. The mind flayers might've been renamed in the pixel remaster too just to cover their asses since they're "Piscodemons" when they show up, though it does seem like they probably have special psionic damage since it appears they tend to do full damage to my fighter when they hit him. Also going to call that silver armlet I just put on my black mage bracers of armor.

I read a tiny little bit about FF2 just 'cause I'm curious if it'll be as enjoyable to me as 1, and I'm not sure. Sounds like they move away from D&D and into their own thing a bit more, have a little more story going on, have some shifting companions/party members, magic points instead of casts-per-rest, and have a classless use-leveling system. Which this is all Japanese FF2 which appears to be what the FF2 pixel remaster is. My half-assed casual research seemed to point toward the leveling system being really janky and fucked up but apparently that's streamlined in this. Originally I guess every time you'd raise a stat/skill you'd lose an opposing stat/skill which meant you absolutely would never want to attack with a caster. Apparently not the case in the remaster but I guess I'll see.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The spell names are rejiggered in the pixel remaster some. The AOE fire and lightning spells are... uh... Something like "Firaga" and "Thundra", and the 4th level AOE cold spell is "Blizzara". They did have things like duergar mountain where the dwarves lives, too. The mind flayers might've been renamed in the pixel remaster too just to cover their asses since they're "Piscodemons" when they show up, though it does seem like they probably have special psionic damage since it appears they tend to do full damage to my fighter when they hit him. Also going to call that silver armlet I just put on my black mage bracers of armor.
Squaresoft/Nintendo had already altered the names of several monsters in the original 1990 English-language release of Final Fantasy, obviously in an attempt to avoid any lawsuits from TSR. Mind Flayers were called Sorcerers (the same graphic with different colors was used for Piscodemons which were renamed Wizards), Otyughs and Neo-Otyughs were renamed Ocho/Ochu and Naocho/Neochu, the Marilith was renamed Kary (possibly intended to be Kali, as in the Hindu deity), and the Beholder was not only renamed Evil Eye but even had a new graphic created for it:
Eye-ff1-nes.png
from the original
Evil_Eye_Original_Sprite.png

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I was vaguely aware that Wizardry was the biggest inspiration for JRPGs because of the fact that Japan is the one still gradually making Wizardry branded games, but the feel of playing this (The pixel remaster at least) feels more Might and Magic to me just because of how smooth it is although that could be due to the pixel remaster, I haven't once felt like I needed to stop and grind but part of that could be because it's my first time playing so I'm crawling over everything to find towns and dungeons. Not that M&M influenced FF, that's just the closest comparison that comes to mind as I'm playing. Lacking JRPG cliches is also probably true, they're acting like your party is a bunch of kids or teenagers but since the story's so light that's a bit up in the air, and all the other cliches have been squarely in generic D&D-land.

I read a tiny little bit about FF2 just 'cause I'm curious if it'll be as enjoyable to me as 1, and I'm not sure. Sounds like they move away from D&D and into their own thing a bit more, have a little more story going on, have some shifting companions/party members, magic points instead of casts-per-rest, and have a classless use-leveling system. Which this is all Japanese FF2 which appears to be what the FF2 pixel remaster is. My half-assed casual research seemed to point toward the leveling system being really janky and fucked up but apparently that's streamlined in this. Originally I guess every time you'd raise a stat/skill you'd lose an opposing stat/skill which meant you absolutely would never want to attack with a caster. Apparently not the case in the remaster but I guess I'll see.

Yes, FF1 Pixel Remaster is notably easier than the original, giving it more of a might and magic flair. If you play it with original difficulty marsh cave with all the poison spam will take dozens of returns to the town to stock up on gear for example. On lowering the difficulty they struck a tune and indeed hit a sweetspot, which is probably why the remaster is selling like hotcakes right now.

Yes FF2 is a janky mess. It is not really good, but if you like it it opens up an entire very long JRPG series directly derived from its wonky mechanics. If money is of any measure skip it and go for FF3. FF2 was not well received at all, leading to FF3 being a lot more traditional. Spell slots make a comeback, and now you can change classes during the game.

Squaresoft/Nintendo had already altered the names of several monsters in the original 1990 English-language release of Final Fantasy, obviously in an attempt to avoid any lawsuits from TSR. Mind Flayers were called Sorcerers (the same graphic with different colors was used for Piscodemons which were renamed Wizards), Otyughs and Neo-Otyughs were renamed Ocho/Ochu and Naocho/Neochu, the Marilith was renamed Kary (possibly intended to be Kali, as in the Hindu deity), and the Beholder was not only renamed Evil Eye but even had a new graphic created for it:
Huh, the evil eye sprite's arguably better than the beholder. Beholder's more obviously D&D but evil eye's nicer as a creepy monster, probably because they've got such a goofy smile on the beholder. Not sure if the enemies are all renamed in the pixel remaster then if the piscodemons are different from mind flayers. I know in the concept art area it's still labeled mind flayer/marilith/etc but I haven't reached them yet.

Yes, FF1 Pixel Remaster is notably easier than the original, giving it more of a might and magic flair. If you play it with original difficulty marsh cave with all the poison spam will take dozens of returns to the town to stock up on gear for example. On lowering the difficulty they struck a tune and indeed hit a sweetspot, which is probably why the remaster is selling like hotcakes right now.

Yes FF2 is a janky mess. It is not really good, but if you like it it opens up an entire very long JRPG series directly derived from its wonky mechanics. If money is of any measure skip it and go for FF3. FF2 was not well received at all, leading to FF3 being a lot more traditional. Spell slots make a comeback, and now you can change classes during the game.
Honestly the ease of it is a significant part of my enjoyment. The marsh cave ate into my resources a good deal but I did most everything in my first pass, only came back and cleared up the locked rooms and a few more treasure chests once I got the key. Hope you're exaggerating with plural dozens of trips back to town, a single dozen would likely break me. Reminds me a little of the Bard's Tale remasters where you level up roughly twice as fast as the original just to minimize scooting back and forth in dungeons to grind and I can't say I missed it. Bard's Tale remaster did let you play with most of the new quality of life/ease of play stuff disabled but it sounds like there are some rebalance mods for FF to do much the same. Running back to town's one thing, but good lord if you had to do it THAT much.

I'll still check out FF2 since my buddy picked up the whole shebang, and if I end up liking FF2 then that might completely sell me on buying the pack myself. As much as $75 seems too expensive for them if I've never actually played them before and I end up liking them I suppose it's not all that bad. Do you happen to know if the balance in the other games is similarly smooth as FF1 or if they dip into grinding? Would assume they'd keep the play easy to mash through if they did for 1, but I also guess they might've just went at 1 with a machete since it's the oldest.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmmh, maybe not dozens for the march cave, maybe if you do not utilise tents and cottages. Definitly a single dozen however, and other dungeons are similarily nasty.

Do you happen to know if the balance in the other games is similarly smooth as FF1 or if they dip into grinding? Would assume they'd keep the play easy to mash through if they did for 1, but I also guess they might've just went at 1 with a machete since it's the oldest.

5 and 6 don't need smoothing down, they have always been as easy as 1 Pixel Remaster. 2-4 have been smoothed down in Pixel Remaster, I am not sure if they made them as easy as 1 however.
I don't think you will need to grind in any of the Pixel Remasters, they have decidedly been balanced for a casual audience.

Bit of an odd tangent but I kept getting flashes of Baldur's Gate in the music in the earth caves. Listened to the original track and it didn't have it:

But the pixel remaster version has an extra little flourish with it. No Youtube videos to make it easy, but scroll down and click gurgu volcano and jump to 1:15 and listen for about 5 seconds:
https://www.greatestgamemusic.com/soundtracks/final-fantasy-i-soundtrack-pixel-remaster/

Just need SO I KICKED 'EM IN THE HEAD 'TIL HE WAS DEAD, NYAH HAH and xvarts reeeeeeeeeee-ing to go with it.

5 and 6 don't need smoothing down, they have always been as easy as 1 Pixel Remaster. 2-4 have been smoothed down in Pixel Remaster, I am not sure if they made them as easy as 1 however.
I don't think you will need to grind in any of the Pixel Remasters, they have decidedly been balanced for a casual audience.
That's good to hear. I'm definitely squarely in the casual camp as far as these are concerned.

newtmonkey

Arcane
None of the FFs (at least 1-7) require grinding to complete (that's not to say that they are all easy)... so unless the pixel remasters are MORE difficult (seriously doubt it), you should be good to go.

FF2 gets a lot of hate, some deserved, but it's enjoyable with a neat leveling system. If you do play, just ignore every single FAQ/walkthrough out there because they are all full of nonsense "tricks" that actually made the game more tedious/difficult if you abuse them. Just play it like a normal game, focus on specific builds (i.e. fighter or mage) for the main characters, and you will sail through without too much trouble. One tip: accuracy is always better than damage for weapons, and avoid is always better than defense for armor.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
FUCK YOU CHAOS, THE TRUE CRYSTALS WERE THE FRIENDS WE MADE ALONG THE WAY

Well, technically the ending hints that a side-effect of the loop/paradox being broken is that Garland never becomes corrupted, never kidnaps the princess and waits for the Warriors of Light in the new timeline.

So even HE became a *friend along the way*.

:love:

Edit: Now FF2's big bad on the other hand
just straight up goes to hell after getting killed and conquers it

:flamesaw:

Last edited:
FUCK YOU CHAOS, THE TRUE CRYSTALS WERE THE FRIENDS WE MADE ALONG THE WAY

Well, technically the ending hints that a side-effect of the loop/paradox being broken is that Garland never becomes corrupted, never kidnaps the princess and waits for the Warriors of Light in the new timeline.

So even HE became a *friend along the way*.

:love:
Did like that silly twist. For a game with essentially zero story it was a hoot to see the first dinky boss you smacked made a time loop to fuck everything up. Was also kind of funny how much of a jump in difficulty chaos was compared to everything else, at most I'd wipe once or twice on other bosses but chaos took me a solid number of tries to finally nail, though I had some weirdness like if I cast protection from fire or cold it would only apply to my fighter and "Miss" the rest of the party, but other party-wide buffs like invisibility or defense would apply properly. Never figured out what was up with that. Fun stuff though, FF2's on the agenda.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Hope you're exaggerating with plural dozens of trips back to town, a single dozen would likely break me.
Depends on your party makeup, but I don't see any reason you'd need to go through the dungeon multiple times. Maybe 2 or 3 if you run out of healing and spells and need to replenish. This is a problem with lots of dungeons in the game though. The main problem with Marsh Cave is the Wizard battle. You might just get 2 in which case it's easy, or you might get something like 5 (not sure what the max is) then it's hard because they hit pretty hard and can wipe your party easily. If you have black belts you probably want to level them to a point where they do more damage with their fists than nunchucks. Can't recall what level that is though.

You might just get 2 in which case it's easy, or you might get something like 5 (not sure what the max is) then it's hard because they hit pretty hard and can wipe your party easily.
Different wizards (Think they were called dark wizards) were a bit of a pain later on since they had a save or die spell in rotation and one that would even hit the entire party. I remember one fight against them where it took out 3 of 4 party members in one cast. Fortunately you get protection rings fairly late in the game which cover your ass against save or die shit. Also bit similar to the enemies with petrification attacks.

Only dipped my toe in to FF2 so far but it's looking fun. World's sure as hell not as forgiving as FF1 with gently opening up new areas so you don't get stomped, got party wiped in minutes since I left the city and faced some skeletons that were doing 4x a party member's max HP a smack. Now I've got some higher-level white mage in the party and a canoe and everything's gonna be peachy. Kinda trying a monk in FF2 just because I didn't do one in 1 but it seems a little odd since the way the stats and skills level it sorta implies he's better off naked, but it also kind of implies he should have a shield (Because shield increases evasion and higher evasion increases raising DEX) but it also specifically mentions if you're fighting unarmed that using a shield halves your damage so it's a bit odd. Maybe I should alternate between shield and two-fisting it since shield can help raise his defensive stats/skills while double fisting kicks out a ton of damage. Despite FF2 already having more dialog than all of FF1 combined it's looking fun. Does seem there's some level scaling going on, possibly not with enemies but absolutely with the prices of inns, but thus far nothing to make me scream bloody murder.

Removal

Scholar
Was also kind of funny how much of a jump in difficulty chaos was compared to everything else.....I cast protection from fire or cold it would only apply to my fighter and "Miss" the rest of the party, but other party-wide buffs like invisibility or defense would apply properly. Never figured out what was up with that
I think they brought over the GBA version where he has 20k hp since you had access to a number of bonus dungeons with high end loot, NES health was either 2k or 4k
you probably had an item on that already gave that elemental resistance, so the spell doesn't do anything leading to a miss

I think they brought over the GBA version where he has 20k hp since you had access to a number of bonus dungeons with high end loot, NES health was either 2k or 4k
you probably had an item on that already gave that elemental resistance, so the spell doesn't do anything leading to a miss
Oh, he was absolutely 20k or more. My fighter alone was often hitting over 1k per attack after buffs (Jack himself up with giant's gloves and then BM casting haste on him) and it still took a significant amount of chopping to get him down. I guess that explains it though, if that particular version was balanced for higher level and better loot.

Thanks for the heads up on the elemental resists too, I think you may be right. Fighter was only loaded up on lightning resist I believe but everyone else probably had bits and pieces of other resists since IIRC some of the fancy caster robes had that innate and the thief got access to better gear when he became a ninja so I think I had him wearing some mixed fire and frost gear.

After playing a bit more of FF2 the leveling system IS a little weird. Not offending me but I do prefer plain old levels and XP. Difficulty's certainly higher than FF1, it's not really a difficult game but I used every scrap of my mana during one dungeon run and killing the boss and then didn't have the mana to take out an optional turtle that was nearly immune to physical damage until I came back after resting for example. Dungeon layout and design's a little more fucky this time around it appears too, closer to FF1 endgame dungeons with dead end doors and stuff. May be illusory walls as well, been a couple during the main story but I'm not sure if they're an oddity or if they exist in dungeons since every time I've checked out dead ends I haven't found any, but I'm not checking out every single one. Story's fun too, liked the evil empire getting their airship and bombing the fuck out of the starting towns and killing almost everyone. Music might be even better than FF1.

EF6FB00DDE5C6A6F73DE9BE2299E2A29729D7D87

Overall feels like the FF love-train will keep on rolling, though FF2's not quite as satisfying to play while paying no attention to it. Dialog-juggling's a fairly big part of that, after the towns got blown up there was a fair amount of bopping around NPCs and talking until I was pointed in the right direction. Agility was what I was fretting over leveling early-on and that does seem to be one of the hardest things to improve, two-armed Brad there is also built to be a monk but he had nearly twice the agility of the monk in my party. So far it hasn't felt crippling but he does have a nice bump to evasion because of it. Also learned spells can be used AoE which is cool.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Agility was what I was fretting over leveling early-on
From what I remember, agility increases somewhat randomly but is affected by how often a character is attacked and his evasion. Wearing lighter armor will boost evasion, and swapping that character to the first position in the party will result in him being attacked more often.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
One more to go. I never tried the psx versions of 1-2. I have no idea why i never finished them but did finish dragon quest 1-2. I'd start them get pretty deep the just quit. I need to remedy that. Since i don't read fan sites the story is mostly new to me.

No GOG. Lame.

JDR13

Arcane
I never got into FF V for some reason despite really enjoying FF IV & VI. Probably because it was never released on the SNES over here, and I wasn't into the hand-held systems. I should give this version a try.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
If only back in time at a Toys R Us I would have made the right choice. There was one copy of a game called Final Fantasy left. Why the fuck did I pick up the single player Hydlide instead? What the cosmic fuck whas I thinking? Memories never earned but nightmares granted from fucking Hydlide!

oh the nightmares.... oh the shame... the remorse.... You can't go back and become part of the FF club. Damnit it hell!

DAMN YOU HYDLIDE!!!!
d2ruiy6-271122fe-a635-4b40-baac-ba6418948dbc.jpg

NoANYfE.jpg

jZ1CQuV.jpg

You will suffer.....

..... the never ending nightmare of ...

HYDLIDE!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom