Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fun RPGs many of you miss out because you're too dumb

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Basically, here I list RPGs and somewhat-erpeegyy-like games many of you miss out because you're too dumb to get out of your comfort zone to check something that isn't Skyrim or a turn based tactical game called RPG. Feel free to add more to the list that you believe most 'dexers are too retarded to check out.

I'm not listing anything popular (even if I think it's good) because you probably already have good ideas what these games are. Here are some games that you probably glanced over and moved on, deciding it's not worth checking out at all, but you were wrong.

Of course, not all dexers are this retarded, but some are, and some are - to my disgust - of limited time as they have kids and shit, so they don't check out much themselves.

Prelude to Darkness
Basically the only game akin to Arcanum and Fallout that is equal to them, I believe it needs no further introduction. We host it on our forums too:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/forums/prelude-to-darkness.12/
It's free to play, and if you didn't play it you should fuck off from this place already.

My quickie: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10384

Pathologic

My quickie: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8610

The Void

My quickie: https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10393

嗜血印

My Steam review:
Surprisingly decent action RPG, very stable and fun even in the current Early Access state (doesn't crash nor has a single major technical issue - something most releases lack nowadays!).

The gameplay is pure fun, combat is smooth and enjoyable. Different melee weapon styles to choose from and some additional skills/spells assisting in fights. No distance weapons, but skills are mostly useful and unlocking weapon combos make fights more interesting, while the game keeps ramping up the difficulty, forcing the player to use them and becomes more and more challenging, but doesn't overdo it and does not become punishing. There are multiple difficulty levels to choose as well.

On a downside, 嗜血印 is very linear and there is no skill-tree. You just get gems that unlock particular skills, and get everything in the end. Same with raising weapon skills. You can max them all in one playthrough.

Story is derp, just a pretext for a slasher. However, at this time English translation is far from finished. Currently, it's a mix of English and Chinese. If you want to play in Chinese know that they used a hand-written-like font, which is not as legible for non-natives. That said, it's not a game where you need to read much or understand the story, might as well skip all cutscenes and enjoy the gameplay.

The campaign mode is not yet finished (now it's about 10 hours long), but there are also even more enjoyable game modes to amuse oneself afterwards, including three multiplayer cooperative modes.

Buying this game on a 50%+ sale is not a dilemma if you are in a mood for a decent slasher. 嗜血印 can't compare with the best, but it's entertaining nonetheless. Definitely recommended.

Precursors

My Steam review:
It's a very good mix of RPG and FPS, with lots of exploration.

It has one of the most open worlds ever, or actually, multiple worlds, because you can travel between them in space, something I've never seen before (kind of like X series mixed with a role-playing game). I must say, that the game is a bit flawed - requires installation of unofficial Wesp's patch (otherwise enjoy watching movies in bolshevik), the space part is average at best and a bit dull (fortunately, it can be rushed through), and the writing is just okay (with mispellings too), but despite these flaws the game is a blast to play for those who love open-world role-playing games - it has many different areas. You can explore six planets in total, fortunately there are enough land vehicles (or mountable animals) so you don't have to walk vast territories. You can sink in the multiplicity of sub-quests, the game always gives you many things to do at the same time, and the gameplay itself is quite fun too - the combat system is basically a first-person shooter that is a mix of arcade and realism - the action is very fast, but both you and your enemies die very quickly. The faction system and choices whom to help will also add to the role-playing element. I'd recommend it for all those who enjoy open-world games, both role-playing ones, and shooters. Just apply the unofficial patch.

Vendetta - Curse of Raven's Cry

My Steam review:
This is honestly the best pirate RPG I've ever played. It has low Steam ratings because of a really botched release version, but as of late 2020 all bugs seem to have been squashed. Although I haven't finished the game yet, after hours of play I did not encounter a single issue with the game at all, not even a minor bug, so it seems all is fine by now.

The atmosphere of the game is superb. It feels quite grim and violent, which fits the pirate theme perfectly. It's more akin to Black Sails TV series than any other pirate game I ever played. Music is very pleasant, from calm ambient sounds and quiet theme to tavern sordid songs sung and played by NPCs, it all fits perfectly. Visuals are just as good, the game is fairly gloomy, nonetheless, there are not only dark jungles or dirty docks, but also beautiful beaches and wealthier town parts which look authentic and pleasant.

The main storyline might not be the most interesting one with its theme of vengeance, but it is properly delivered and side quests can be quite interesting. Moreover, the main character, who is a pirate, acts like one. A deranged man with no morals and you get to play the bad guy, which is rare even in pirate games - which usually while allowing you piracy, have storylines about saving someone or the world or you always act like the nice guy helping others and just receiving payment as a reward, or becoming a merchant. In Vendetta it's the complete opposite. I especially appreciate the complete lack of any political correctness and realistic portrayal of the times. Lots of swearing from pirates, as well as "dirty talk", no "poor and defensless native people" just trying to stay alive against evil colonizers like in Risens. Here they are portrayed in a more authentic way of the brutal world and in their interactions with outsiders. They are depicted as uncivilized and often as immoral as invaders, if not more. Women are clearly presented in the game more to be either wives or prostitutes, there's only one female captain. Piracy is more profitable than trade as well. While this all might sound a little harsh and degrading, it is a realistic depiction of the times and places.

Combat is outstanding. Both land fights and sea battles are enjoyable and challenging. A lot of people in Steam reviews complain about the combat - I suspect these people don't enjoy the challenge. When you fight in melee you need to time your attacks correctly and block properly. Mashing LMB will get you killed quickly. Fights require patience, not throwing yourself at the enemy. When fighting multiple enemies, they will not allow you to duel them in succession, but instead stab you in the back as soon as they can. To win unfair fights you're often going to need some dirty tricks, including kicking, using second weapon that is your hook, or using pistols - and you can carry up to three of them loaded simultaneously. There are skills improving your possibilities in combat, but more important are the player's skills.

Sea battles are also well made, but more similar to other pirate games. You press a button to give command to shoot from left, right or front, and have option to use three different kinds of ammunition. Boarding is also possible, although you don't take a part in it directly, but just give orders. There are different ships to use in the game and each of them can be upgraded so as to make it better in some ways, such as you can sacrifice some space for cargo to load more cannons on the ship. My only complaint is that you can only have one ship. There is no way to hire another captain and create a fleet, which is a shame because I'd really like to make a fleet and besiege a town, but I guess that was beyond developers' time or capabilities.

There are also multiple factions to join, but you don't need to join anyone and are able to remain a lone wolf throughout the game, however, you can get more quests if you join one of them, i.e. the French. In addition, you never have too much money in Raven's Cry, as often is the case in other RPGs. There are always multiple things to spend money on, and ships can be very expensive.

Recapitulating, this is a properly done Role-Playing as well as pirate game with fantastic land and sea combat, marvelous realism and authenticity of the world and decent enough story. All activities in this game give plenty of entertainment, whether it is combat, dialogues, exploration or piracy. There are no weak or poorly made parts of the game, which is extremely rare in pirate games. Bugs seem to have been fixed too. Overall, it's a really great game worth time and money. Unquestionably the best game from Reality Pump. If you enjoy RPGs, then I strongly recommend playing Vendetta as it's an engrossing and gratifying experience.

Venetica
https://store.steampowered.com/app/338140/Venetica__Gold_Edition/

My Steam review:
Venetica is a game I expected to be average at best. Moreover, the first three hours are terrible, you start as a village girl and just follow the corridor, whack some professional assassins, listen to uninteresting dialogues and whack more poor assassins. I was at the point of abandoning the game, because the sole looking at ass and arms of cute Scarlett was not enough to keep me interested.

I just decided to force myself to play it until I get to the Venetica city as the village at the beginning is basically a training. And once I got to the city, wow, what a sudden turnaround.

In the city the game became good out of the blue. Writing wasn't deep but Scarlett got a sense of humour and quests were aplenty and often no more about killing assassins or killing at all. Boring hack'n slash transformed into a role-playing game and the place wasn't so much of a corridor anymore (albeit still somewhat was as the parts of the Venetica open up along with the storyline). The story is bad and some dialogues are cringeworthy, but many of them are decent and usually the writing is okay. Unfortunately, many of dialogue choices are not only fake as to leading to the same outcome but worse - quite a lot of them lead to once short answer until you choose the "correct" one. Kid doesn't want to tell you something? Intimidating him to cut off all his fingers? Trying to be nice to him? Forget it, you can do these all you want, but until you choose "here, have some sweets" option you are getting nowhere...

In spite of the above, the quests make up for it, and so is the setting. Dialogues, albeit with all their drawbacks, are decent enough and the game is just fun. You may enter every single house in the city too, stealing from its residents (for the greater good of course). The city districts vary a lot and there are also catacombs and so on, hence why locations are interesting and have a different feeling to them as well.

Overall, it is a very decent game, definitely worth playing if you enjoy cRPGs. If only the beginning wasn't so bad, the game would probably gain much more popularity. Nonetheless, it is worth to go through the boring start and then find a very enjoyable action role-playing game.

You can thank me later.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As a bonus here is a list of some prestigious or less prestigious 'dexer games which are less known (than AoD), these might not be as good, but are still worth considering checking out:

Disciple

Savant
I've tried to play Prelude to Darkness on several desktop computers and laptops with different specifications and iterations of Windows, to no avail. The game will keep crashing (the kind of crashes that require to restart the computer) every 5-6 minutes no matter what I do :negative:.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Basically, here I list RPGs and somewhat-erpeegyy-like games many of you miss out because you're too dumb to get out of your comfort zone to check something that isn't Skyrim or a turn based tactical game called RPG. Feel free to add more to the list that you believe most 'dexers are too retarded to check out.

I'm not listing anything popular (even if I think it's good) because you probably already have good ideas what these games are. Here are some games that you probably glanced over and moved on, deciding it's not worth checking out at all, but you were wrong.

Of course, not all dexers are this retarded, but some are, and some are - to my disgust - of limited time as they have kids and shit, so they don't check out much themselves.

Prelude to Darkness
Basically the only game akin to Arcanum and Fallout that is equal to them, I believe it needs no further introduction. We host it on our forums too:
It's free to play, and if you didn't play it you should fuck off from this place already.

Should have stopped here.

cpmartins

Cipher
The Precursors had a save-game bug where you would be unable to continue after a certain "thing" (I don't know what it was and, apparently neither did the devs) happened. It would set up a time-bomb where the game would crash after a certain amount of time after "thing" happened NO MATTER WHAT YOU DID, thus ending your run. Forever.
Did they fix that bug?

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
The Precursors had a save-game bug where you would be unable to continue after a certain "thing" (I don't know what it was and, apparently neither did the devs) happened. It would set up a time-bomb where the game would crash after a certain time NO MATTER WHAT YOU DID, thus ending your run. Forever.
Did they fix that bug?
No idea, I didn't encounter it though. I finished the game in 16h.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I also remember playing Boiling Point: Road to Hell, a precursor to Precursors, which is an interesting game but needed some work. I'd still recommend it because I don't know any other game that does what it does.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
DEX is great. Prelude is fantastic if it doesn't crash. Pathologic and Void aren't RPGs and they never pretended to be.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I'm AdolfSatan, and I approve this thread.

Add Teudogar to the list.

Titan Outpost definitely deserves more publicity.

I've tried to play Prelude to Darkness on several desktop computers and laptops with different specifications and iterations of Windows, to no avail. The game will keep crashing (the kind of crashes that require to restart the computer) every 5-6 minutes no matter what I do :negative:.
Did you try the PrettyDeadman fix?

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Prelude to Darkness

So far so good...

嗜血印

My Steam review:
Surprisingly decent action RPG, very stable and fun even in the current Early Access state (doesn't crash nor has a single major technical issue - something most releases lack nowadays!).

The gameplay is pure fun, combat is smooth and enjoyable. Different melee weapon styles to choose from and some additional skills/spells assisting in fights. No distance weapons, but skills are mostly useful and unlocking weapon combos make fights more interesting, while the game keeps ramping up the difficulty, forcing the player to use them and becomes more and more challenging, but doesn't overdo it and does not become punishing. There are multiple difficulty levels to choose as well.

On a downside, 嗜血印 is very linear and there is no skill-tree. You just get gems that unlock particular skills, and get everything in the end. Same with raising weapon skills. You can max them all in one playthrough.

Story is derp, just a pretext for a slasher. However, at this time English translation is far from finished. Currently, it's a mix of English and Chinese. If you want to play in Chinese know that they used a hand-written-like font, which is not as legible for non-natives. That said, it's not a game where you need to read much or understand the story, might as well skip all cutscenes and enjoy the gameplay.

The campaign mode is not yet finished (now it's about 10 hours long), but there are also even more enjoyable game modes to amuse oneself afterwards, including three multiplayer cooperative modes.

Buying this game on a 50%+ sale is not a dilemma if you are in a mood for a decent slasher. 嗜血印 can't compare with the best, but it's entertaining nonetheless. Definitely recommended.

Precursors

My Steam review:
It's a very good mix of RPG and FPS, with lots of exploration.

It has one of the most open worlds ever, or actually, multiple worlds, because you can travel between them in space, something I've never seen before (kind of like X series mixed with a role-playing game). I must say, that the game is a bit flawed - requires installation of unofficial Wesp's patch (otherwise enjoy watching movies in bolshevik), the space part is average at best and a bit dull (fortunately, it can be rushed through), and the writing is just okay (with mispellings too), but despite these flaws the game is a blast to play for those who love open-world role-playing games - it has many different areas. You can explore six planets in total, fortunately there are enough land vehicles (or mountable animals) so you don't have to walk vast territories. You can sink in the multiplicity of sub-quests, the game always gives you many things to do at the same time, and the gameplay itself is quite fun too - the combat system is basically a first-person shooter that is a mix of arcade and realism - the action is very fast, but both you and your enemies die very quickly. The faction system and choices whom to help will also add to the role-playing element. I'd recommend it for all those who enjoy open-world games, both role-playing ones, and shooters. Just apply the unofficial patch.

:deathclaw:

The first one is chinese garbage walking simulator, is also an "adult" game, if you know what i mean and is in early access...

The second one is a FPS...

You can thank me later.

:shredder:

How to "justify" a shit-tier list by adding one single truly incline gem on top of it, did you learn that when you worked for Topito?

youhomofo

Augur
Does a playable build of Prelude to Darkness even exist?

I tried to play it a long time ago and it crashed and I lost my save. I can't imagine it would work any better on modern hardware.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Void is great although not what would most people call a RPG (despite of the fact is made of pure choice and consequence).

Saduj

Arcane

Well if you don't find that fun, there must be something wrong with you....

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
My The Precursors run was sadly killed when a bugged perk to increase carrying capacity didn't work. It's strange that was the thing to kill my enjoyment, but there it is. Was having a pretty great time with it up until that point.

Vlajdermen

Arcane

Uncomfortably based.

I knew Raven's Cry was gonna own when I read this

Ue02fLN.jpg

Peachcurl

Cipher
Precursed: Shit-tear, messed up bug ridden hell of a game. Would be fun otherwise. (Yeah, I played this. Unfortunately.)

Vendetta: hrm... the setting is fine. But it looks dubious.

Pathologic, Void: Not RPGs by my definition (essentially, the only definition that counts).

Bloody Hell: Not my cup of beer. (played it, didn't get into it)

Venetica: Nope.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom