Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mauman

Learned
Well, apparently these updates got Lann to start playing the game, so I guess they have some impact.

So they accomplished absolutely nothing of value?

Ulfhednar

Savant
I played Pillars 2 (all of it) on my potato... the loading was quite frustrating...
Kingmaker load screens were a bit of a headache towards the end...
I started WotR a few weekends ago and thought the load times were generally worse than Kingmaker, but a better experience than PoE 2... not great but better. Loading took a long time for WotR, but it ran pretty smooth after it got up and going...

Then I got to Drezen...

And I bought a new computer. It came in yesterday.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I played Pillars 2 (all of it) on my potato... the loading was quite frustrating...
Kingmaker load screens were a bit of a headache towards the end...
I started WotR a few weekends ago and thought the load times were generally worse than Kingmaker, but a better experience than PoE 2... not great but better. Loading took a long time for WotR, but it ran pretty smooth after it got up and going...

Then I got to Drezen...
Imagine that.

Mr. Josh Sawyer proudly announced that they spent quite some time making an asset streaming tool in Unity to reduce loading times in Deadfire. Owlcat Games never claimed that they put any effort into load time optimization.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
But on the flip side you have to play with the buggy charge, evens out.
Nah, it is completely fine in RTwP and so addictively fun that it is my 5th or 6th Mounted character.

And TB... what could I say? Special package of bugs for all those nice people who were harping about TB mode, from Owlcat - with love.

In RTwP I had mounts and riders going crazy and ignoring all orders, glad to know they fixed it.
It's weird but those bugs happen when you give the order to the animal companion rather than the character controlling it, the orders given the rider(even an old one) overwrites anything the mount tries to do.
So if you ask the rider to attack A at the start of the fight. then missclick select the mount in the middle of the fight and change target to B, it'll ignore you and keep going after A.

I had similar problems too, but Switching off Mount's AI did wonders for a comfortable Mounted Combat in RTwP.

Percy

Cipher
Random fact: when you approach Treshold, one of the worst enemies you'll encounter is
the Storyteller.
That old geezer casts Shout like a madman, hitting demons and your party alike, because that's what helping me in the battle looks like in his book.

So be prepared and have some protective spells at hand.

Hahah yeah he fucked me up too. Asshole

I finished the game finally after not playing for a while and found chapter 5+6, quite frankly shit.

Some of the resolution to NPC quests were rubbish and I feel it needed a lot more content.

Seems lazy and rushed to me and yeah it potentially suffers from being too epic?

I don't even know how I won some fights.

volklore

Arcane
Continuing on with the azata sorcerer, at the ivory sanctum now (although I might reload before getting there because I heard you get an azata specific option after ivory sanctum to end the chapter early but I have loads of stuff to explore and other quests to do) and I have been really enjoying the favorable magic + persistent metamagic combo.
Making enemies have to make 3 saves in a row on my illusion spells is amazing as all hell.

However a couple of infos/caveats for people if they wanted to make a DC caster with azata:

-Favorable magic seems to not trigger 2 saves on anything leaving a persistent hazard behind i.e sirocco, grease, glitterdust (this one is weird, but technically you cover the people in the aoe with glitterdust (no save) and then the dust makes them save against blindness), web... Understand everything that creates a hazard and then the hazard makes the mobs in it roll saving throws. On the other hand AoEs that affect all the enemies straight away and without the intermediate of a conjured hazard get affected and trigger 2 saves (phantasmal web, phantasmal putrefaction, confusion, shout ...). I do not know if the behavior is intended or not.
-On the same note, every saving throw triggered after the initial cast of any spell isn't affected by favorable magic. So enemies will roll their will save twice when phantasmal web is cast, but the fort save against nausea on the next rounds will be rolled only once.
-Persistent metamagic stacks up with favorable magic but contrary to favorable magic (who triggers two rolls and keeps the worst result), you will only see the extra roll if the first two saves (from favorable magic) were both made.
-You can't pick favorite metamagic : persistent with the favorite metamagic mythic feat to lower the spell level increase by 1. Big Sad. In fact, favorite metamagic is extremely shortlisted, it seems like none of the metamagics introduced in Wrath are pickeable at all.
-Expanded arsenal is a big buff to caster flexibility, allows you to switch guns and, well, expand your arsenal to help answer the changes in enemies immunities.
-Once the first level of loremaster gets fixed for arcane casters, I can't see myself not picking a level or 3 to pick some of the goodies from other spell lists, or ray combat feats if you're into using your powers to shape reality to make slightly fancier arrows!

As far as spell schools are concerned, Conjuration is insane early game : glitterdust and grease are encounter winners and stay relevant the whole game. Stinking cloud is particularly strong against gargoyles (only 1 subtype of them is poison immune), but since then everything has been immune. Illusion is supper strong at spell level 4-5-6, especially since around that time, the game throws a ton of support for the school (1 ring, 1 amulet each with 2 DC and 1 staff with 1 DC on will saves) and mind-immune enemies are almost nowhere to be seen.
A super underrated spell that I see mentioned almost nowhere is Dismissal - it's basically a save or die spell vs. Will for outsiders with no descriptors so almost all demons seem affected. Sadly it's abjuration so not super great to take focus in it, but some high end demons are immune to phantasmal killer (through death immunity) so it's a good replacement if you can debuff their will save.
Enchantment is probably really strong as well because it has a riddiculous amount of itemization support (even higher than illusion) and also can reach really high early game DCs. The only reason I don't like enchantment as much for the early/midgame game for full arcane casters is that they don't get cacophonous call (only bards get it or a few ecclesitheurge domains), enchantment lacks that 1 single target control spell that does not rely on prone (a lot of dangerous enemies are prone immune) - but I bet a enchantment focused caster will do really well in act2-act3.

Casting is really fun in Wrath!

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I found another item that gives +2 DC to all saves vs Fort which is almost all Necro spells. So far +5 from items and books...

kangaxx

Arbiter
Why do I have a furry being condescending to me in my own council chamber about political decisions? I trust there comes a point in the game where I can imprison and execute this individual? Infuriating.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why do I have a furry being condescending to me in my own council chamber about political decisions? I trust there comes a point in the game where I can imprison and execute this individual? Infuriating.
Nope, but you can drop your pants for her.

EDIT: I guess some mythic paths might let you drop her pants as well.

Aarwolf

Learned
The Boss is pretty cool though.

You can convince it to annihilate itself and have achievement for that. Or so they say, I have no will to try this shit ever again.

I'm in the beginning of Chapter 3. My only field army is lead by Chief Ageboya (nigress mage). She just hit lvl 7. Should I start developing a second army. I have some loose reinforcement troops which I'm currently not using, and I haven't hired a general for them. Will I ever need a second field army?

Nah, never. I only hired second general to have bigger slot (five instead of three) for unused troops when I cleared the map off all available demons and could not kill the spares on them.

Kill it with fire. Actually, behead it, then kill it with fire, just to be sure.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Casting is really fun in Wrath!

I disagree. Necromancy is fun. But casting in general, I stopped with my Azata Cryomancer run cuz the dan Ice Prison DC is bugged. There are a lot of power creepy ruining a lot of iconic spells to the point that I was only using negative eruption as a tier 9 spell in my lich/wiz... Casting not bad, but is IMO inferior to Kingmaker.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are a lot of power creepy ruining a lot of iconic spells
I don't understand.

You don't want spells to be overpowered in a single player game? Or you want spells to match your table top experience?

He wanted hyperbeams, but now that he finally got them, he decided it was actually moderatebeams he was looking for.

purupuru

Learned
Because the writers are liberals and they want to encourage rebelling against your character's rightful ruler. See how easily they made you considering murdering the royal emissary already?
Don't fall for it, fight your impulses and suck up the furry instead!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You don't want spells to be overpowered in a single player game? Or you want spells to match your table top experience?

If the game is a 3.75E adaptation, the game should have spells like PF1e. Most of my favorite spells are obsolete in this game and it I din't liked TBH.

hyperbeams

Wrong. My favorite spells on kingmaker are

• Animate dead/Create undead
  • Boneshatter/Boneshake
  • Cloudkill
  • Ice prison, ice prison, mass
  • Finger of Death
  • Disintegrate
  • Sirroco/Acid fog(SR immune)
  • Haste
  • Stoneskin
  • mirror image
  • Tsunami
  • (...)
None of then are "hyperbeams".

writers are liberals

Every anti egalitarian option is considered "evil" in this game...

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I just read that in midnight fane there is a secret book +2 CON. To access it you have to lower all levers exept the one with the Deskari symbol above. I tried going back in Act 4, and even reloading a save from Act 3 and nothing happens. Is this true? am I missing a lever somehow?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom