Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pixel art is:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tritosine2k

Erudite
If anything 90's CRT stuff wanted to resemble "line art" but they ran into obstacles (pixels). Users posting old stuff without real world transfer function of CRT are inadvertently furthering the kitsch agenda. Nowadays they are even peddling this shit as NFT? 00+'s pixel art is Nickelback.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
ss_bb6dc4b45ce8b76db74f7a670b7aec8f0165957c.600x338.jpg
What game is this screenshot from?

Project Warlock

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
That being said, I'm willing to grant you that of the posts you quoted, the two last pics in Zed Duke of Banville post are indeed kitschy, and not quite what you'd consider pixel art, at least least it wouldn't be the first thing associated with the notion.
All seven images I posted were created by either Jim Sachs or Franck Sauer, two of the masters of pixel art on the Commodore Amiga (the post has been edited to includes the sources).

Various Amiga pixel art by other artists:

AH_KingTut.png

Deluxe Paint (1985)

AmigaDreams_TheTower.png

Amiga Dreams (1987)

Fish_08_Smithy.png

Fish (1988)

Aquaventura_AltEnding.png

Aquaventura (1989)

LostPatrol_PanoramaBoat.gif

Lost Patrol (1990)

FullContact_Intro.gif

Full Contact (1991)

Iluvatar_InTheTemple.png

In the Temple (1992)

Flashback_Level01.png

Flashback level 1 (1993)

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What point are you're trying to make tritosine2k

That modern pixel art emulates something that didn't exist in the first place because it looked different on CRTs?

tritosine2k

Erudite

That modern pixel art emulates something that didn't exist in the first place because it looked different on CRTs?

It's not just different it cannot even look like that. And that sony piece of gear on twitter page is high end in reality likely those patches DID disappear.
So. You don't even get the depth out of image because texture is wrong (in this case).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

It's not just different it cannot even look like that. And that sony piece of gear on twitter page is high end in reality likely those patches DID disappear.
So. You don't even get the depth out of image because texture is wrong.

It's close enough. Anyway, the point is, modern pixel artists all know this, it's just that they don't really care, as I said previously display technologies have changed and people have come to like the chunky look of pixel art (except many posters in this thread) either because they grew up with emulated games or they are "evil" cubists. Yes, nobody of the old generation tried to create a chunky look, but either it existed due to technical limitations or disappeared due to the display technology, but it doesn't really matter.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That being said, I'm willing to grant you that of the posts you quoted, the two last pics in Zed Duke of Banville post are indeed kitschy, and not quite what you'd consider pixel art, at least least it wouldn't be the first thing associated with the notion.
All seven images I posted were created by either Jim Sachs or Franck Sauer, two of the masters of pixel art on the Commodore Amiga (the post has been edited to includes the sources).
I know the artists, Sachs in particular. Just saying that personally I associate pixel art more with the sprites and backgrounds of games or demos, less so with a full, static pictures, but ymmv. For instance, of your latest post Flashback (backgrounds) would immediately recognizable as pixel art to me. And, for example, the Full Contact picture with the shaded animation not much at all.

I remember trying to learn how to draw sprites back in the day (on Deluxe Paint) that would create an illusion of active lightning and stuff, suffice to say I did not have the patience required :P.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Well it kinda matters if one image has depth and the other is some cardboard stuff not even trying to hide the facade. There's no connection here.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Well it kinda matters if one image has depth and the other is some cardboard stuff not even trying to hide the facade. There's no connection here.

Depth is a visual illusion. I never had the feeling of depth much when I played games on a SNES on my TV, playing modern pixel art games feels exactly like that. Obviously, we all have our own subjective feelings about that, but that's what it is, not some objective quality you seem to imply which just isn't there.

mondblut

Arcane
Even with flat LCD screenshots, what the oldschool sprite graphics all had in common is having a lot of halftones, gradient colors and blur to overcome the limitations of low resolution. A pixel in 320x200 might still be a rather large block (even on 14" display), but the artists did everything in their power to work around that and make it look more organic.

What is nowadays called "pixel art"? Not even once. They revel in sharp ugly blocks and don't even try to make the picture somewhat more realistic despite limitations the way CRT era pixel artists did. They don't even have limitations to begin with. Other than utter lack of taste and talent, of course.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Regarding screens and blurring, the CRT monitors we used for our PC games back in the DOS days were very different from TVs and would accurately display pixels as sharp blocks. These monitors were originally made for business applications so they had to be sharp enough to display readable text and numbers. Amigas and such were also intended to be used with monitors even though a lot of kids had to make do with a TV.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
2D and 3D have no bearing on if something is ugly or not, it's how they're used. If it sucks, blame the artist (or the one directing the artist).

Both can be shit, both can be good. One is not automatically more appealing than others, unless you're talking about individual taste.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I assume that all of these painting-like images posted itt were first done as physical paintings and then used as reference for a digital painting. (I assume that, because that's the way I would do it. The idea that somebody painted them pixel by pixel without a reference is unbelievable.)

Sure a lot of them look great, but do they look better than the original painting? I'm curious. Of course for a lot of them it doesn't even matter. If the pixels are too small to see without squinting its not "pixel art" in the hipster garbage sense

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Regarding screens and blurring, the CRT monitors we used for our PC games back in the DOS days were very different from TVs and would accurately display pixels as sharp blocks. These monitors were originally made for business applications so they had to be sharp enough to display readable text and numbers. Amigas and such were also intended to be used with monitors even though a lot of kids had to make do with a TV.
If you didn't have a 1084S you were a pleb, simple as.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yes, some midwits who have no idea what they're talking about seem to genuinely think games on crt monitors looked like those retarded filters you get in modern emulators and whatnot, which is of course utter and complete bs (for both 2d and 3d games).

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I assume that all of these painting-like images posted itt were first done as physical paintings and then used as reference for a digital painting. (I assume that, because that's the way I would do it. The idea that somebody painted them pixel by pixel without a reference is unbelievable.)

Sure a lot of them look great, but do they look better than the original painting? I'm curious. Of course for a lot of them it doesn't even matter. If the pixels are too small to see without squinting its not "pixel art" in the hipster garbage sense

In the early days of computer art the artists used graph paper to lay out the designs. The next big evolution was them having software that essentially was digital graph paper to do the designs, but had digital painting tools. Each square was 1 pixel.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
tritosine2k What I said was completely true.

https://vgdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/179656817318/designing-2d-graphics-in-japan-from-the-late-70s

Computers from the old days were designed in such a way that they were de facto intended for people who were knowledgeable about programming and mathematics. You could draw with a computer, but saving what was displayed on the screen wasn’t without its problems, hence the fact that the Japanese industry would start to use graphic editors only years later.

The people in charge of graphic design in those days needed 3 things: grid paper, a computer with a keyboard and basic knowledge of hexadecimal. Michitaka Tsuruta, who studied animation in school and later designed Solomon’s Key, joined Tehkan in 1982 and used that system in the early years of his career: “You would color in the squares on graph paper. And then after you coloured those individual squares, you would convert them in to numbers, and then you would key in the numbers in hexadecimal using a ROM writer”.

The next development was exactly as I said. Graphical design tools that were essentially computerized graph paper with colored brushes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom