Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Famous books/novels vs Gaming stories

Which most fits you?

• I have read fewer than 3 famous novels, and I like reading stories and stuff in games.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have read fewer than 3 famous novels, and I hate reading stuff in games.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have read more than 3 famous novels, and I like reading stories and stuff in games.

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • I have read more than 3 famous novels, and I hate reading stuff in games.

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Just curious! Results are private.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Reading novels is about an arc, a plot with twists and turns, character development.

Reading in games is at best short stories with no plot twist at all. Most of the time, it's dry (and useless) information.

The two aren't related. Maybe it's related to novellas in some shape, so maybe change the poll.
I don't like in-game text and I don't like novellas, even though novellas aim to do something with text - either paint an emotional picture that isn't going anywhere. Or it's a very tiny plot with a very tiny twist.
Game text doesn't aim to do anything with itself. It's devoid of purpose, but it's also short, so the two can be related to some degree.

Cazzeris

I like it when most of the writing in the game comes as jokey bubbles of text. Doesn't really add up to a story, but helps set the tone. Not a single genre requires a deep ocean of a story, now that I think about it. Neither do books

I think any entertaining ideas can make the game better, as long as they don't hurt the pacing. Some effective lines can go a long way. Also, since so many videogames are so lonely, but not about loneliness, what's the harm in having the option to talk?

If there are at least some characters, they can comment on the situation, say something funny or thoughtful and be done with it. The Catcher in the Rye is all about the everyday thoughts of some dude. It's a valid output

All those tricks of lore and character development should be contained into fantasy writing and television, where they belong. The appeal is completely separate of whatever makes videogames good, and that's why it turns RPG storytelling into a big distraction and waste of resources

Anyway, in a videogame, the story tells itself for the most part. Just repeat what you did during gameplay, in so many words, and there you have it: a story. It probably is full of action and discovery, even!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom