Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3: Cult of the Holy Detonation Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: inXile Entertainment; Wasteland 3; Wasteland 3: Cult of the Holy Detonation

The next release of the month is Wasteland 3: Cult of the Holy Detonation, the second and final expansion for the RPG Codex GOTY-by-default for 2020. For inXile, this expansion is not just the conclusion of their work on Wasteland 3, but also a belated capstone for the era of crowdfunded roleplaying games developed by relatively high profile American studios. From now on their games will be very different. The expansion's release announcement post hints at that, but first the launch trailer:

Wasteland 3: Cult of the Holy Detonation is now available for PC, Xbox, and PlayStation!

Cult of the Holy Detonation brings together years of experience developing Wasteland 3, allowing us to create some of our best environments, creatures, weapons, and designs, and put them all into the subterranean, mutant-infested government stronghold of Cheyenne Mountain. It’s a blast.

The Desert Rangers will once again need to dive into a messy situation, sort out the major players and their motivations, and if necessary, take them to task. In true Wasteland fashion your decisions can have wide-reaching repercussions, and the decisions you’ve made up until this point can and will impact how the events within Cheyenne Mountain play out. This expansion also introduces objective-based combats, which are marquee events that require you to use your squad in new and unexpected ways. It’s going to put even the most battle-hardened among you to the test. For an extra challenge, try it on Supreme Jerk, with difficult skill checks and permadeath turned on, while being level 16. We dare you.

We’re excited to see players jump into this final piece of the Ranger story in Colorado and are eager to hear what you think.

Cult of the Holy Detonation is also available in the Colorado Collection bundle, which includes the base game, The Battle of Steeltown, and Colorado Survival Gear bonus items all for a single low price—and it’s on sale! The Colorado Collection is 30% off until October 19, making this an incredible time for new players to jump into post-apocalyptic Colorado.

With the release of Cult of the Holy Detonation, the story of the Desert Rangers in Colorado has come to an end, and we’d like to thank our original crowdfunding backers for making this possible, our Microsoft partners for elevating the Wasteland 3 experience to new heights, and our publisher Prime Matter for bringing these experiences to the masses.

What’s next for inXile? You’ll have to stay tuned. But in the meantime, there are some cultists to deal with. We’ll see you in the wasteland, Rangers.

Cult of the Holy Detonation is available on Steam and GOG for just $7, which is half the price of Battle of Steeltown. It's not clear whether that means the expansion is even smaller than its predecessor or if inXile just decided this was a better price point. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electryon

Savant
is not just the conclusion of their work on Wasteland 3, but also a belated capstone for the era of crowdfunded roleplaying games developed by relatively high profile American studios. From now on their games will be very different

Ominous

Since 90% of the people here seem to hate every game Obsidian, Larian and inExile made over the past 5 or 6 years, I don't know what "ominous" even means.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm a little annoyed the Deluxe edition didn't include the Season pass. You save like maybe a dollar atm if you get the season pass over buying each DLC by itself. Eh. Eventually. I've been recording too discount prices lately for DE, C2077, and now Gamedec and WL3. Maybe I should add to the list.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somebody still buys this shit. I’m impressed.
WL3 wasn't bad, really.

I enjoyed it... right until a bug ended my entire playthrough by turning every single NPC hostile for no reason whatsoever.
Good times!

Can definitely see myself giving it another try with all the DLCs and the mild hope that the nasty bug got fixed...

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I enjoyed my time with W3, it was decent, nothing spectacular. Its overall an average game and i do not understand such hate (besides the usual posturing of tryhards and the resident complainers).
Will play it again when everything gets ironed out.

gaussgunner

Arcane
is not just the conclusion of their work on Wasteland 3, but also a belated capstone for the era of crowdfunded roleplaying games developed by relatively high profile American studios. From now on their games will be very different

Ominous

Since 90% of the people here seem to hate every game Obsidian, Larian and inExile made over the past 5 or 6 years, I don't know what "ominous" even means.

Indeed. Whatever the future holds, it can't POSSIBLY be worse than Loadscreens of Eternity, Tranny, Original Shit, or whatever the fuck Unity asset flip those other guys made, amirite?

Robert Erick

Educated
I don't really get the hate for Wasteland 3. The game is alright. It's not as hard or engaging as Wasteland 2, but it's fun enough to play. I only really had to stop when I reached Steeltown and found out that every npc is a fat redditor in a lab coat.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I had wondered how does the writing stand up from 1-2-3? I'm curious what Fargo will do next tbh.

MartinK

Learned
Wasteland...? More like Waste-of-time!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom