Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 6 - soap opera continues, this time in Cuba

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Complete with "millennial whoop", fucking retards.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lol @ ubisoft. I watched a new terrible Ghost Recon trailer and they used the same kind of shit talky-rap music in that one.

Soon all UBI games will melt together and create some form of singularity.

ADL

Prophet
At least if Frontlines were a Tarkov knockoff it'd be fairly unique with more casualized mechanics and significantly better character controls. Frontlines looks like it should've come out three years ago back when there was a chance at success. Shame that a cool looking map is being wasted on Battle Royale shit. Looks more interesting than Breakpoint's map.

Battlefield 2042 is supposedly getting a Tarkov-knockoff mode called Hazard Zone.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't understand how a company with that much money and technology to make a game that advanced, can't just go the extra few steps to make a really good game? Is there no value in that anymore?

Zlaja

Arcane
What I can't stand in Far Cry games (at least since 2) is how fucking easy these games are. After the first few hours you're an invincible God, economy goes out the window, and you're never forced to just use whatever you can find, because you're always stocked on ammo for your favorite weapons. This leads to these games having zero immersion, imo.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I also find it so strange how they make these huge open world games, but then the game is so linear. The two designs oppose each other. Open world was supposed to let each player have a unique experience to them, where they all go different directions and end up doing different things in different places. So there aren't Youtube videos of people all playing the exact same game. Early MMOs achieved this and they weren't even open world. This game spends a fortune on the open world and filling it with generic stuff for people to waste their time with. But then they spend many more millions on all these characters, stories, dialogues, and voice actors for this very linear story driven experience.

In the end everyone has played the same character, met the same characters, heard the same lines, been to the same places, and ended the same way. That's a linear character driven game. All the locations that people don't even visit are wasted development. And all the generic content is wasted development and weaker gameplay as a result. It would have made more sense to make a finely tuned experience with set pieces etc. This game could have saved millions of dollars and been a better game and the average player would have more fun and wouldn't have even noticed all the missing fluff.

Or they could go the other way. Save a fortune on all the Breaking Bad stuff and focus on making a better game world. One that people might enjoy playing for years instead of a few weeks. I could use Bethesda as an example but I wont. EQ is the best example, a game with a 3m budget that people still enjoy playing around with 22 years later. But people will be done with this in a month.

Shin

Cipher
I also find it so strange how they make these huge open world games, but then the game is so linear. The two designs oppose each other. Open world was supposed to let each player have a unique experience to them, where they all go different directions and end up doing different things in different places. So there aren't Youtube videos of people all playing the exact same game. Early MMOs achieved this and they weren't even open world. This game spends a fortune on the open world and filling it with generic stuff for people to waste their time with. But then they spend many more millions on all these characters, stories, dialogues, and voice actors for this very linear story driven experience.

In the end everyone has played the same character, met the same characters, heard the same lines, been to the same places, and ended the same way. That's a linear character driven game. All the locations that people don't even visit are wasted development. And all the generic content is wasted development and weaker gameplay as a result. It would have made more sense to make a finely tuned experience with set pieces etc. This game could have saved millions of dollars and been a better game and the average player would have more fun and wouldn't have even noticed all the missing fluff.

Or they could go the other way. Save a fortune on all the Breaking Bad stuff and focus on making a better game world. One that people might enjoy playing for years instead of a few weeks. I could use Bethesda as an example but I wont. EQ is the best example, a game with a 3m budget that people still enjoy playing around with 22 years later. But people will be done with this in a month.

I get what you're saying, but you're overthinking this. Or rather, you're thinking about this. Most of the target audience is perfectly fine with the current trends in modern (open world) game design. It's basically your classic, linear action game (first do this thing, listen to this conversation, do the next thing, press x to listen to another conversation etc) in a large map, filled with rather inconsequential activities in terms of narrative/impact on the rest of the map. These activities are easily designed because they don't tie into anything else. And most developers are probably right in the sense that putting a lot of effort in complex, interwoven systems doesn't pay out in the end (in other words; the market doesn't give a fuck about immersive sims). It's hard to explain the merits of such a system to your average mountain-dew consuming neanderthal who might instead be easily swayed into a sale by noticing "that actor from Breaking Bad". I think that a lot of us (including me), who've been playing games for a long time and do niche things such as hanging out on message boards dedicated to cRPG's, are blinded by our confirmation bias/internet bubble. In the (very rare) occasions I talk with a "regular person" (colleagues and such) who "play games" (and a lot of them probably do, it's not exactly a niche hobby at this point) they'll tell me all about how enamored they are with games such as Assassin's Creed Origins/Valhalla/whatever-they-think-of-next and Fallout 76 (I kid you not). The formula that the Ubisofts and EA's and such are providing is enough for most. And again, a publisher would rather spend a dozen million dollars on hiring a famous actor/aggressively push the product to 'influencers'/have some rapper make a commercial and spam Twitch with it than actually putting that money into designing intricate systems.

To be fair though, there's enough quality stuff on the non 'AAA' (whatever that means at this point) developers for "us" to enjoy.

Ash

Arcane
To be fair though, there's enough quality stuff on the non 'AAA' (whatever that means at this point) developers for "us" to enjoy.

Not even close to the scale the game industry once was. It used to be a gaming paradise and I cherished every minute, playing whatever I could get my hands on. A lot of it was shit, but it was really easy to find good games by comparison.

As for people enjoying Assassin's Creed games, or purchasing and playing games just because it has a particular movie actor or youtube influencer in it...those are called morons and sheeple with no standards or that just don't know better. Sure there's some subjectivity involved with what people like, yet also no. Marketing tells them what shit to consume and stuff down their fat dumb throats.

Far Cry is a little better, yet not by a huge margin. This newest one looks irredeemable, but we'll see I guess.

Codex Year of the Donut
Hey, I actually partially agree with them on something
The minigame consists of giving the player control of one of the battling roosters, although neither is shown to be killed or badly wounded by the fight.
If you're going to put it in the game, don't sanitize it.

Also reminds me of how much attention to detail RDR2 put in their minigames. Five Finger Fillet would show your hand getting mutilated if you fucked up.

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://www.pcgamesn.com/far-cry-6/hd-textures-nvidia-rtx-3080

Far Cry 6 needs more VRAM than the Nvidia RTX 3080 has to load HD textures
utsAAA5.jpg

For all its flaws, Far Cry 6 is unquestionably a game best experienced in high definition with the settings cranked up if your gaming PC can handle it. Unfortunately, the optional 35GB HD texture pack might be a little too far out of reach for most, as it’s a greedy VRAM gobbling monster that few graphics cards can feed.

To Ubisoft’s credit, Far Cry 6 explicitly tells you in the menu that you’ll need at least 11GB of video memory to run the HD texture pack. Sadly, it’s a curiously restrictive requirement that raises eyebrows, as it means the Nvidia RTX 3060 meets the right specification just fine with its chonky 12GB of VRAM, but the meatier RTX 3060 Ti falls short with just 8GB. Even Nvidia’s flagship RTX 3080 is a gigabyte out of reach and sometimes fails to load textures properly.

Fortunately, DSOGaming’s performance analysis shows that the RTX 3080 and the RTX 2080 Ti can just about handle the HD texture pack when running the game at 1440p resolution. Crank this up to 4K with ray tracing on, however, and you’ll have a bit of a problem, as low resolution textures end up mixed in with their high resolution counterparts.

If you’re struggling, Ubisoft suggests you play the game without the pack or flick the option off in the Far Cry 6 settings if you already have it installed. You’ll still experience the same game, as Yara is quite a captivating landscape – even if our Far Cry 6 review finds the game far from revolutionary.

This isn’t the only performance issue it suffers from, as the same report also criticises Far Cry 6’s processor optimisation. The game seems to play nicely with gaming CPUs featuring better instructions per clock (IPC), but HyperThreading can sometimes tank your frames by as much as 10fps, so you might want to disable it in the BIOS before booting.

So, the question is can you run it? Test your PC against the Far Cry 6 system requirements over at PCGameBenchmark to see if your rig’s up to the task. If it is and you’re still struggling, disable the Ubisoft Connect overlay to see if that helps your performance – it might even solve these HD texture pack problems.

Ubishit is not even trying anymore.

Codex Year of the Donut
not much of ubisoft's fault(other than possibly using HD textures where they aren't needed), they're just hitting heavy diminishing returns

most problems in computing can't be solved by throwing more hardware at it because the problems don't scale well enough -- doubling the resolution of textures requires 4x as much memory, quadratic growth. You can fit 64 512x512 textures in a single 4096x4096 texture.

as an aside,
maybe my eyesight is just shit but I can't even tell the difference between "HD textures" and regular ones from the screenshots I've looked at.

it's not your eyesight, it's been like that for a decade now, because it's easier to just take a pic and convert a gigantic texture (which won't work on most of the common computers). making smaller textures which will look good as much requires 5 minutes and a pinch of skill no one of the dangerhaired minority recruits who populate videogaming now possess.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FC3 was allright and I fucking loved Primal on Survival difficulty. That was such a blast with balls.

Unfortunately balls is in short supply these days, zoomers aren't born with those anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom