Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

agris

Arcane
Patron
Pink Eye don't fall into the trap that "good design means everything is the same", it's OK that there are different quantities of some types of weapons. A new blunt weapon found is more special than a new bladed weapon, it's long swords to katanas to analogize from Baldur's Gate 2.

I'm glad I'm not crazy in thinking the utility bar was the best blunt weapon hah, although after much skepticism the gear mace is pretty great with its +knockdown. That can make a big difference.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>I'm glad I'm not crazy in thinking the utility bar was the best blunt weapon hah
It's pretty good though. AP efficient - it also can combo with other weapons too. For example, using utility bar for aimed legs then switching to warhammer to attack. Does good damage, boosted even more with decent STR. You get it super early too. Further, unlike the other blunt weapons. It has innate accuracy bonuses. I've done most of my runs with it. Love it a bunch. I think all my gameplay videos have me using it:

agris

Arcane
Patron
>I'm glad I'm not crazy in thinking the utility bar was the best blunt weapon hah
It's pretty good though. AP efficient - it also can combo with other weapons too. For example, using utility bar for aimed legs then switching to warhammer to attack. Does good damage, boosted even more with decent STR. You get it super early too. Further, unlike the other blunt weapons. It has innate accuracy bonuses. I've done most of my runs with it. Love it a bunch. I think all my gameplay videos have me using it:

Yeah, my blunt fighter used it throughout my entire playthrough for the same reason. The +precision AND ap cost is key, when the other blunt weapons don't even have a lack of a bonus, but rather a malus to precision.

Tsubutai

Educated
hgAJniW.png

I think that even a rudimentary map like this would add a lot to immersion and help make the ship feel like a cohesive place/physical object rather than a set of disconnected zones.

Incidentally, where is ECLSS? Is it inside the Habitat? Also, what does the central yellow line represent?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
QQQGHBn.jpg

And that's why Smiles needs to be a companion. Unlike Smiles, Jed doesn't understand Murderhobo Culture. His remarks are problematic and highly intolerant of trigger happy people. Our Girl Smiles OTOH supports our actions AND comes up with plans like "let's just walk through the front door and kill everyone". Gr8 plan, 10/10, would murder again.

WELL, I finished another playthrough, this time as a Rifleman. Went with Jonas, which means I inverted the "optimal" siding. Braxton is easier for a Rifleman, Jonas is easier for melee, but I did the opposite, lol.

Had a much easier time running a full party (CHA 6 + Squad Leader) and even managed to carry Assassin Faythe around. Stealth makes a lot of encounters MUCH easier. Plus the system is interesting. Sadly, i didn't hit lvl 4 this time around.

Funny thing about Jed is that his stats look terrible, but he remains highly effective due to being higher level + using a weapon class that's somewhat favored in terms of gear progression. You can get the best shottie in Hydro, very early on. Jed remains a solid frontliner, but I guess he is the prime candidate for getting booted in Act 2.

ANYWAY, Smiles romance when? :)

vota DC

Augur
Wait charisma 6 means max followers? Why? Even with dungeon rats wasn't that.

Tsubutai

Educated
To get max followers you either need at least 8 charisma or at least 6 charisma plus a squad leader implant that can currently only be obtained from a single early fight. Obviously, if you use the implant option there's an opportunity cost in that you're sacrificing an implant slot that could otherwise be used to boost something else.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Precisely because of the charisma requirement dropping from 8 to 6, you can think of the implant as functionally +1 max companion and +2 ability points, ie the best implant available. It’s a no brainer if you’re playing with companions and don’t care about passing the cha8+ checks.

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Precisely because of the charisma requirement dropping from 8 to 6, you can think of the implant as functionally +1 max companion and +2 ability points, ie the best implant available. It’s a no brainer if you’re playing with companions and don’t care about passing the cha8+ checks.
I play solo, but i think missing on squad perks for 2+ companions also counts as opportunity cost.
I agree regarding the content in pit, but regarding weapons - was there a concept of tiers? AoD had crafting and 4 materials, along with 4 bonuses. Having balanced knife in stock with slightly different sprite and i.e. better chances to hit could give a smoother weapon progression. Same with early weapons and moniker like "rusty", "imbalanced", "heavy", etc. Relatively cheap and easy to implement I think.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I think that even a rudimentary map like this would add a lot to immersion and help make the ship feel like a cohesive place/physical object rather than a set of disconnected zones.

Incidentally, where is ECLSS? Is it inside the Habitat? Also, what does the central yellow line represent?
Not really good map,it lacks depth. Positioning on a realistic ship won't be that two dimensional. For example the cargo will be put in the outer rim of the lower/central part,to act as extra protection against small meteors. While the bridge and other critical sectors will be in the centre.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Not really good map,it lacks depth. Positioning on a realistic ship won't be that two dimensional. For example the cargo will be put in the outer rim of the lower/central part,to act as extra protection against small meteors. While the bridge and other critical sectors will be in the centre.
Muh realism check from engineer fanta. C'mon, buddy. Nobody would put cargo on the outer rim, because nobody would make a hull that would require "extra protection". If anything would be prioritized for placement on the rim, it would be living quarters, where generating centrifugal "gravity", necessary for long term human well being, would be easiest.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Muh realism check from engineer fanta. C'mon, buddy. Nobody would put cargo on the outer rim, because nobody would make a hull that would require "extra protection". If anything would be prioritized for placement on the rim, it would be living quarters, where generating centrifugal "gravity", necessary for long term human well being, would be easiest.
lol you really want to boil those fucks in magic star radiation. Nah you need the most shit on the outside for protection,it is a long journey,you need protection in case of emergency . Tho you could put hydroponics on the outerish part because plants like radiation and have higher resist. Also clearly the ship have artificial grav,centrifugal needs a huge ship to do it and rotational circles/barabans. It is shame how few games use actual science and realistic ideas for their concept. That said,nobody will fucking put the bridge at the nose of the ship,maybe at the top deck of it,but not at the nose lol.

DiD you play titan outpost? Great scifi rpg,would recommend giving it a try!

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I play solo, but i think missing on squad perks for 2+ companions also counts as opportunity cost.

Dude, come on:

(1) With CHA 6 + Squad Leader you pay:
- 2 stat points
- 1 implant slot (worth a CON stat point)

And you get:
- 3 companions
- +5% THC on allies

(2) With CHA 8 + Sarge you pay:
- 4 stat point
- 1 feat

And you get:
- 3 companions
- 5% THC + 5% critical chance

(3) With CHA 9 + Captain you pay:
- 5 stat points
- 1 feat

And you get:
- 3 companions
- 10% THC, 5% CS and 20 reaction on allies

My take: from a purely combat oriented run, (1) is the undisputable best deal, with CHA 4 + SL being the obvious viable alternative. (2) is a terrible deal, regardless of your goals and (3) might be a min-max breakpoint for hybrid runs. IMO CSG is doing a MUCH better job at handling Charisma, since it is checked in every single conversation. No longer do murderhobos with spare points to invest in Streetwise become master conmen EXCEPT on the rare occasion the game decides to check your CHA. It's a big step up from AoD, that's for sure.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is shame how few games use actual science and realistic ideas for their concept. That said,nobody will fucking put the bridge at the nose of the ship,maybe at the top deck of it,but not at the nose lol.
You mean like this?

7sZ5WQwkeqNQiUvuxPm3R6.jpg

^ NASA newest 'deep space' ship.
It is a prototype concept. We don't have deep space ship capabilities. And that looks retarded,yes. Also you are ignoring the massive shield front part that is put infront of the crew module. The picture you use is for the reentry part. Having fucking windows in deeps space drive is just rolf. Here is the whole ship. As i said,the bridge at the centre. Tho the whole missions seems sketchy as shit. I doubt that those people will return back,alive. Also in your game you are talking about fucking century of deepspace travelling.

apollo-vs-orion.png

x-view.png

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
lol you really want to boil those fucks in magic star radiation.
Thermal effects of radiation on spacecraft are negligible within the Solar system, let alone outside of it, especially on a vessel with functionally limitless fusion power to be utilized for environmental control within living areas.

Nah you need the most shit on the outside for protection,it is a long journey,you need protection in case of emergency .
No, you really don't, whatever vague notions of a possible emergency you might have. That's what a hull made from 25th century materials is for, along with modular, segmented structure and a system of locks and seals.

Also clearly the ship have artificial grav,centrifugal needs a huge ship to do it and rotational circles/barabans. It is shame how few games use actual science and realistic ideas for their concept.
"Artificial grav" is pretty far from "actual science and realistic ideas". And the Ship is huge and very well could rotate along it's axis.

That said,nobody will fucking put the bridge at the nose of the ship,maybe at the top deck of it,but not at the nose lol.
Why not?

It is a prototype concept. We don't have deep space ship capabilities.
Yes, aaaand the game takes place in 28th century, so there is that.

DiD you play titan outpost?
Yes, I DiD.

agris

Arcane
Patron
normally I disagree with Daedalos but this is the rare exception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom