Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG question

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I figure I might get banned/censored from the GOG forum, but I just noticed after refunding a game and getting my money back I can still play the game?

Is this normal? Is this something everybody already knows? What the hell?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They are DRM free so yeah. It's more of an honor/trust system, but each refund is handled by a case worker and they won't let you game the system and "buy" everything for free on GOG.

Semiurge

Cipher
but each refund is handled by a case worker and they won't let you game the system and "buy" everything for free on GOG.

Thank god. Even Amazon has a secret "black list" of accounts that have made a lot of returns and refund requests.

Btan0

Literate
A few years ago I pirated some GOG games. When I installed GOG Galaxy it detected their install paths and automatically added the games to my account, as if I had obtained them legally. Hopefully my account is not retroactively terminated, it was an honest mistake.

Semiurge

Cipher
A few years ago I pirated some GOG games. When I installed GOG Galaxy it detected their install paths and automatically added the games to my account, as if I had obtained them legally. Hopefully my account is not retroactively terminated, it was an honest mistake.

Distributing DRM-free games online is the lowest low. If they are abandoned, it can be overlooked.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Distributing DRM-free games online is the lowest low. If they are abandoned, it can be overlooked.

I miss shareware, so I do download GOG versions of games. If I like the games then I buy them on GOG. I'm not spending money on expensive games that I find to be shit.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

I miss shareware, so I do download GOG versions of games. If I like the games then I buy them on GOG. I'm not spending money on expensive games that I find to be shit.

Unfortunately not everyone has your honesty

Narushima

Cipher
Last time I asked them for a refund, it took them a month to do it, so I don't think I'll ever buy anything from them again.

Puukko

Arcane
I thought this was obvious. If they could remove the game from your computer, it wouldn't be DRM free anymore. I haven't refunded anything yet but if I did I would just delete the game manually. Pirate copies of GOG games are so easy to find anyway that going through the effort of buying, downloading and refunding just for that purpose is more work.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Why would anyone steal games when you can get them almost for free if you wait for a sale?
Oh well, easy for me to say, I guess, having such a huge backlog and not going "Ooooh shiny!" when the next AAA game comes along.

Azdul

Magister
^ This is why we have DRM
This is why we have restrictive DRM like Denuvo, and that's why not all games are released on GOG.

If the game does not have restrictive DRM - it is usually released on GOG, Steam and EGS. Crack groups always release cracked Steam versions - first, because it is easier to find latest patches for them online, and second - because part of the Scene supports DRM-free initiatives.

When game has paranoia level, invasive DRM - it is not released on GOG at all. After few days / months cracked version is released anyway - but some people are impatient, and may end up buying such game - so invasive DRM is 'justified' in the eyes of the publisher.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
^ This is why we have DRM :rpgcodex:

Which actually doesn't deter piracy and is a burden on legit customers. That's why the pirated versions run much better.

I bought the entire Stalker series on Direct2Drive way back in the day. Due to the DRM requiring server authentication I can no longer play the games I own. I have to use pirated versions because the scene removed the DRM from the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom