Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

hi i'm new

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
CRPGs: Play the classic game Dungeon Master via the Return to Chaos clone for Windows

Tabletop RPGs: Read the Dungeons & Dragons "Red Box" Basic Set rules from 1983
basic12th.jpg

curds

Magister
What else have you played?

Obligatory recommendations:

Fallout 1 and 2
Planescape: Torment
Arcanum
Gothic 1 and 2

Personal recommendations:

Knights of the Chalice
Dark Souls 1
Dragons Dogma

Also look at the codex top 70 list.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Gran Turismo is a role playing game. You, the player role play as a car called Subaru and are trying to outrun the other cars.
It has all the characteristics of an rpg, there is c(h)ar(acter) customization and progression.
You can even join other cars and form a party.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Welcome to the most interesting place on the web.

cRPGs: The original Rogue, SSI Gold Box AD&D 2E games, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Baldurs Gates 1 & 2, with Icewind Dale Trilogy being optional.

Tabletop RPGs: If you want a more advanced version of Zed Duke of Banville's recommendation you can't go wrong with AD&D 1st or 2nd Edition. Stay away Wizards of the Coast's abominations as they have nothing in common with the original.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
LizardWizard is the entire reason why the word Ligger exists. If you don't want to start with the best and earliest examples then you just stay in the hood there ligger. You be poor mofo along with all your ligger siblings and momma.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Some classic role-playing games with simple rules:

1. The Nurse and the Patient
2. The Housewife and the Plumber
3. The Newguy and the Codex

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi guys, the truth is that I am new and I would like someone to teach me to play role-playing games that you can recommend to me to begin with, I would be very happy.
Why and how have you heard of this place? What draws you to find out how to play RPGs?

You see RPGs are many and of different types, focusing on one or more aspects of what makes RPGs fun. What aspect drew you here? Tell us more and we may recommend games better suited for you.

Like this everyone is just going to recommed THEIR favourite RPG(s), not what you find interesting.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Hi guys, the truth is that I am new and I would like someone to teach me to play role-playing games that you can recommend to me to begin with, I would be very happy.

We were all new once; coming out and saying it plainly is pretty ballsy move which I can respect.

As for games:

Obv. FO1,2,Tactics and New Vegas
ELEX
ATOM+Trudograd
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (Redemption too if you can get into dungeon crawlers)
Underrail, if you're feeling particularly masochistic
Mount & Blade
Deus Ex if you're absolutely new

And always keep in mind my two cardinal rules:

• Fantasy is for fags
  • Never be forced into "liking" a boomer game for codex cool points

Welcome to the Codex! Enjoy your stay!

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
LizardWizard is the entire reason why the word Ligger exists. If you don't want to start with the best and earliest examples then you just stay in the hood there ligger. You be poor mofo along with all your ligger siblings and momma.

You legitimately recommended Neverwinter nights 1 and 2. You should feel fucking bad

Yes, because of the sheer amount of modules for it and the fact anyone can run it these days. Let's not forget the toolset that allows you to create your own stuff. Not many games do that today now do they?

LizardWizard

Cipher
Yes, because of the sheer amount of modules for it and the fact anyone can run it these days. Let's not forget the toolset that allows you to create your own stuff. Not many games do that today now do they?

Except you didn't say shit about about mods when you originally recommended those dog shit games?

Nice backtrack.

Still, two shit RPGs to be honest.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Except you didn't say shit about about mods when you originally recommended those dog shit games?

Nice backtrack.

Still, two shit RPGs to be honest.

Ligger pluz, it's part of the game and advertised as such. You do realize that Neverwinter Vault is still going strong and has plenty of mods for it. There was no backpedaling because you're a moron that forgot about the entire mod thing. If you had asked me why I recommended it that would be a different story. All you said what OMG GURL YOU RECOMMEND NWN 1 & 2 SO MY PANTIES ARE IN A TWIST.

They're still better then 99% of modern cRPGs like Pathfinder Cringemaker and it's sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom