Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

randir14

Augur
Has 3DHacks ever thought about digging out the old DNF 2001 build, finish and release it? That Gearbox crock of shit doesn't count.
Gearbox owns the Duke Nukem license, 3D Realms can't do anything without their permission.

toughasnails

Them not giving precise release dates but instead opting for "Soon" or "When It's Done" probably started as a homage to Duke Nukem Forever saga and the infinite When It's Done but given the current situation it's probably the wisest approach, you know with the ongoing pandemic and shit.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Has 3DHacks ever thought about digging out the old DNF 2001 build, finish and release it? That Gearbox crock of shit doesn't count.
Gearbox owns the Duke Nukem license, 3D Realms can't do anything without their permission.

They're both now owned by the Embracer Group, aren't they?
Yeah but the IP itself legally belongs to Gearbox so if 3D Realms wants to use it they have to ask. I have a feeling that if someone from 3D Realms went to the right person at Embracer and asked for a few favors then maybe they could use Duke.

geno

Savant

Yeah but the IP itself legally belongs to Gearbox so if 3D Realms wants to use it they have to ask. I have a feeling that if someone from 3D Realms went to the right person at Embracer and asked for a few favors then maybe they could use Duke.
3DR's CEO tried some years ago but Pitchford wasn't collaborative at all. Hopefully Tim Willits will make him more reasonable.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

3DR's CEO tried some years ago but Pitchford wasn't collaborative at all. Hopefully Tim Willits will make him more reasonable.

Yeah Pitchford has apparently always been the stumbling block in getting any of the old Duke Nukem Forever builds out.

The guys at 3DR have always wanted to get the 2001 build (the famous "Duke Ex" build) playable and released.

geno

Savant

:kingcomrade:
Edit: Notice that it is an album with 5 themes but for some reason it starts at the fourth track.

Codex Year of the Donut
Prime example of money trumping law. Easier to just appease a rich entity that stand up against something that's obviously bullshit.

Yeah Pitchford has apparently always been the stumbling block in getting any of the old Duke Nukem Forever builds out.

The guys at 3DR have always wanted to get the 2001 build (the famous "Duke Ex" build) playable and released.

They should release it as their new IP Adam Armageddon, it follows the legally distinct Adam "Ash" Armageddon...he wears a blue shirt and those sunglasses from Kindargarten Cop. Totally new character.

Bought this for the hell of it since I figure if it hasn't been bundled by now I may as well give up on waiting. Been enjoying it more than when I pirated it back at launch. Not sure if it's the patching making shit feel better as I'm playing, or the fact that I'm playing on normal and I was playing on hard originally and I'm just digging it more for casual running and gunning rather than crawling forward looking for hitscanners. Regardless, basically caught up to where I'd played previously in a single sitting and had a more enjoyable time with it. Still feels a bit floaty and I'm not overly wild about the weapons but they've got satisfying impact and the levels are absolutely gorgeous.

One thing that does slightly weird me out is that they go for "YEEEEEEEEEEAH 3D REALMS MEMBER DOUK 3D?" logo splash but the sound they play during that is much more Crystal Caves or Commander Keen, and then the Apogee train continues since you've got arcade machines with a bunch of Apogee games like Bio Menace and Monster Bash. I understand the desire to do 3D Realms since that's more shootery (And I understand the Apogee and 3D Realms connection) but then they keep leaning on Apogee nostalgia and it makes me wish they went whole hog and had the Apogee splash screen and music since it's better than 3D Realms' anyway.

Curratum

Just a FYI, there are no hitscanners in this game. Enemies fire very fast moving and mostly dodgeable projectiles ala Quake Arcane Dimensions shotguns, only faster.

Just a FYI, there are no hitscanners in this game. Enemies fire very fast moving and mostly dodgeable projectiles ala Quake Arcane Dimensions shotguns, only faster.
'spose that stands to reason given how the player weapons act, but the projectiles must be fast enough you'd only dodge them if you're already hauling ass and even then it may only work if you're some distance away since the shotgunners and brown dudes aren't particularly accurate but they do hit fairly quickly.

It's a little interesting playing this after I played the demo for Supplice, since they've both got a similar feel to them despite Supplice being Doom rather than Duke, and Ion Fury does nail one thing I bitched about with Supplice in that you've got a dastardly evil scientist popping up and talking shit which is much needed. And even though Ion Fury has the usual Build engine issue of occasionally wandering around trying to figure out where to go (They do respawn enemies when you need to back track to try to guide you at least) that's still preferable to Supplice having some funky textures on walls and doors that can make it difficult to spot a door. Supplice felt better for movement and shooting, but Doom's basically always going to top Build on that. Still gotta get back to Hedon episode 2, too. Got sidetracked by Quake and haven't picked it back up again.

Curratum

Damn, didn't realize Supplice had a demo out. Just tried it and it's absolutely stellar. This is what commercial GZDoom mods should be like. I appreciate the innovation Hedon goes for, but at the end of the day, the moment to moment gameplay and visuals just weren't my thing. Supplice feels like the perfect GZDoom-platform product to put a pricetag on. Wishlisted, would spend my money on that when it releases, instead of whatever the fuck expansions Ion Fury and Amid Evil release, because good god, delaying an expansion by 18 months after a trailer showing multiple levels is just a tasteless joke.

geno

Savant
I feel like I have played better TC than Supplice. There is something about level design and enemy placement that I don't see as polished as other megawads. To be fair, megawads use edited enemies and don't absolutely all from scratch like Supplice.

Curratum

I dunno, I enjoyed the combats. Felt like a decent mix of mooks to mow down and more pressuring encounters. I did get cornered a few times on Hard and died once.

Perhaps people who REALLY look at encounter design close-up will be left wanting more, but it's solid enough to be enjoyable, at least in those two levels.

There are many schools of thought when it comes to Doom encounter and combat design, so your mileage may vary, of course.

geno

Savant
Screenshot-20220305-121511.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom