Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

hi i'm new

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We don't take kindly to your types around here.

Doktor Best

Arcane
He ran off into the woods before finishing the first page of replies guys. You can stop now, your work is done.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hi guys, the truth is that I am new and I would like someone to teach me to play role-playing games that you can recommend to me to begin with, I would be very happy.

didn't you read the reddit and twitter comments about this place?

scum and villainy abound

Gahbreeil

Learned
Hi guys, the truth is that I am new and I would like someone to teach me to play role-playing games that you can recommend to me to begin with, I would be very happy.
Hey buddy, let's play Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition in multiplayer together with everyone here!

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.

It's really all you need in life, 600+ hours of playtime should keep you busy until your mom kicks you out of the house

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
You can try out the classics, or, if you want to play newer stuff, pathfinder games are the best of the best.

As someone who said in this thread, this series saved the rpg genre

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You can try out the classics, or, if you want to play newer stuff, pathfinder games are the best of the best.

As someone who said in this thread, this series saved the rpg genre

Stop attempting to recruit young children into your cult!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
CRPGs: Play the classic game Dungeon Master via the Return to Chaos clone for Windows

Tabletop RPGs: Read the Dungeons & Dragons "Red Box" Basic Set rules from 1983
basic12th.jpg
I had forgotten to mention: Welcome to RPG Codex!

welcome.png

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Welcome to the most interesting place on the web.

cRPGs: The original Rogue, SSI Gold Box AD&D 2E games, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Baldurs Gates 1 & 2, with Icewind Dale Trilogy being optional.

Tabletop RPGs: If you want a more advanced version of Zed Duke of Banville's recommendation you can't go wrong with AD&D 1st or 2nd Edition. Stay away Wizards of the Coast's abominations as they have nothing in common with the original.
Lol, GB is trash and why play the original rogue when you can play better versions? Also, no fallout, wizardry or Ultima. Your list is beyond shit.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hi guys, the truth is that I am new
Hey Micropaul,

Welcome to the RPG Codex. It's an oldschool website about RPGs and with the oldschool internet culture where people are perfectly comfortable openly giving harsh and critical opinions, taking it all in stride, and engaging in critical discourse here and there. It may feel strange and off-putting if you're new, but the freedom to express yourself and have an intelligent discussion where you can speak openly and are not burdened by the need to pretend that certain conducts and intellectually deficient positions are respectable does have positive benefits for the quality of discourse, and developing a thicker skin and seeing past the harshness of others tends to do people good not only on the internet but in life in general. Unfortunately, we do seem to have picked up a number of idiots in the last decade or so who seem to think that the main purpose of this forum is mostly to either act like a dick to fit in (which is of course incredibly stupid and wrong) or act out in general and they can't help but jump over a thread like this hoping for that internet validation by poking fun at the new guy while generally dragging down the quality of discourse, so my apologies for the morons infesting the room. Think of them as your local village idiots and you'll be fine. Also, feel free to ignore post ratings for the most part. They were originally implemented as a joke for the most part, but there are some silly people who get excited by those buttons around here.

If you're wondering about the strange spectacle of this thread, we typically don't have threads where people introduce themselves but it's not a problem to make one. You can talk about pretty much whatever if you can make a decent thread of it.

and I would like someone to teach me to play role-playing games that you can recommend to me to begin with, I would be very happy.
It's good to ask, but phrased like this it's a horribly ambiguous question. The genre of RPGs covers a very wide range of games and many of the games that are appreciated by members of the RPG Codex (who have old-school tastes) are not necessarily that intuitive or fun for new players, so it's really not clear what recommendation will work out for you. You'll have to elaborate what kind of games you play and like, what you're looking for when it comes to RPGs, and your views on difficult games and games with a learning curve (especially those that require you to read the manual and supplementary material).

Really, what are you looking for?

Last edited:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Zed Duke of Banville not heresy, also have you played wizards crown? How does that stack up to GB? It looked more complex but I don’t know whether it has better gameplay

Adenocaulon

Educated
I have also started to play crpg games recently. Be aware that some of the recomendations are games developed for older operative systems so to play them well (without compatibility problems) you have to use unofficial patches, mods, sourceports, etc. If you do not have experience with this I think you can also consider some newer games, some of them can be modern equivalents of older classics, I am not saying they are better, but I think it would be not good to have compatibility issues and be dealing with the absence of quality of life features in your first experience with some type of games.

For example:

Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 are meant to be some kind of succesors of Ultima 7

Stranger of Sword City is a successor of earlier Wizardry games.

Legend of Grimrock is a successor of Dungeon Master (this is more an hybrid with puzzle games actually)

Elex and Risen are successors of Gothic series, because they are the same developers. Witcher 3 can be also related in some aspects (open world and third person action combat) but it is aimed to a more massive audience.

For other comparisons I consider this video to be informative. However an important omission is Underrail which is a succesor to Fallout 2 (but I do not know if it is friendly to newcomers).

Consider that in GOG there are some games available with these unofficial patches for compatibility. It is also easier to configure dosbox graphical settings in DOS games from properties icon: additional executables: graphic mode setup. Here you can select upscalers and resolution because they usually do not look well on modern monitors, so you can try the upscaler methods to see wich looks better for you, they will not be faithfull to the original design idea, for that you will need a CRT monitor.

Might and Magic 3 and World of Xeen are in my opinion the best DOS games to directly play on dosbox (between my field of knowledge), because there are almost not quality of life problems and the graphics are fine. You still may download the manual to compare gear for example. Might and Magic series in general is good (with the exception of 9 as I know).

A personal recommendation is Lords of Xulima, it is relate to MM in some features, but the perspective during exploration is isometric like other games.

Recommendations about more hybrid subgenres:

Grim Dawn is the best ARPG for me, I prefer it over Diablo 2 because it has a hand crafted level design (in general not randomly generated), it has a detailed worldbuilding and original setting, and you have a dialogue box to talk to NPC, it is not just a scrolling text.

Dark Souls is an action rpg related with action adventure games like Castlevania and Zelda with the interconnected level design, this is more a console game by design but it is also available in PC and I beat it with mouse and keybord.

Roguelikes and tactic-strategy/simulation rpgs are not my kinds of games. Between Immersive Sims I have not played some of the main titles so I might screw it up if I say something.

About tabletop, maybe Labyrinth Lord is fine because is intended to be a more simple system based on the first editions of D&D, you can read the manuals and learn the rules very fast. The more popular systems like D&D 5e, Dark Eye, Pathfinder usually have more massive rulesets and bestiary.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

cRPGs: The original Rogue, SSI Gold Box AD&D 2E games, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Baldurs Gates 1 & 2, with Icewind Dale Trilogy being optional.

Tabletop RPGs: If you want a more advanced version of Zed Duke of Banville's recommendation you can't go wrong with AD&D 1st or 2nd Edition. Stay away Wizards of the Coast's abominations as they have nothing in common with the original.
Lol, GB is trash and why play the original rogue when you can play better versions? Also, no fallout, wizardry or Ultima. Your list is beyond shit.

Your taste is trash and I don't care what you don't like. You can go fuck yourself with a dragon sized dildo and live stream it and I still wouldn't care.

Last edited:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Your taste is trash and I don't care what you don't like. You can go fuck yourself with a dragon sized dildo and live stream it and I still wouldn't care.
Jeez, why so aggressive?

Love you to baby

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Jeez, why so aggressive?

Love you to baby

You were aggressive first princess and you got what you did to me. Next time be nicer.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Jeez, why so aggressive?

Love you to baby

You were aggressive first princess and you got what you did to me. Next time be nicer.
Series question though, why did you not recommend wizardry at least or fallout? Why even recommend rogue either? Genuine question

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Series question though, why did you not recommend wizardry at least or fallout? Why even recommend rogue either? Genuine question

I never played Wizardry and I forgot about Fallout. I recommended games based upon me playing them.

I recommended Rogue to give him the experience of playing the first cRPG ever made, so he has a baseline of why cRPGs ended up where they are today.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

I never played Wizardry and I forgot about Fallout. I recommended games based upon me playing them.

I recommended Rogue to give him the experience of playing the first cRPG ever made, so he has a baseline of why cRPGs ended up where they are today.
Nigga go and play wizardry, even my zoomer ass played it

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Nigga go and play wizardry, even my zoomer ass played it

Nope because I don't care for it. Now get out of my grill princess and go fuck yourself with that dragon sized dildo in the town square.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom