Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Sacibengala

Prophet
The guy must be trolling. I hope.

Halfway. I am saying it in a way that I know will be somewhat provocative on purpose, but what I am saying is genuine and the reason I posted here was to check in if females had been added by one of the expansions or not. I really don't like when I can't have female characters in a squad based tactical games (assuming the units are human/humanoid in the first place), and generally a squad based tactical game only having male characters is a hard pass for me. So it is unplayable for me, as I will not play it.

In most cases I never look back, but in the case of Battle Brothers I keep hearing good things about it, and I like what I see when I see the feature list. It has been on my radar for years and I am on the edge of possibly just biting the bullet and getting it and adding mods, even though I normally hate playing a game with mods before I play the base game. I would strongly prefer if they were just in the base game, though.
So judge it like reasonable people judge others, by the whole. Not by the one feature you are fixated with. The game is awesome, did a lot of stuff, a lot, right. You dismissing it because of just one type skin is sad. Will you miss a great game because of that? It's the same as "I'll not marry this person and live the rest of my life with them because of the gender they have". Don't be this person...be better...hue.

Harthwain

Magister
Halfway. I am saying it in a way that I know will be somewhat provocative on purpose, but what I am saying is genuine and the reason I posted here was to check in if females had been added by one of the expansions or not. I really don't like when I can't have female characters in a squad based tactical games (assuming the units are human/humanoid in the first place), and generally a squad based tactical game only having male characters is a hard pass for me. So it is unplayable for me, as I will not play it.
Sounds pointless to me to skip a really good game just because it doesn't have females, but you do you.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Preferring female characters models in games is also hardly a rare thing. Something worth considering if you are making games. You are definitely leaving some sales on the table if you don't have that option, and that is something to weigh against the resources needed to add them in.

I totally agree bro. These fuckin devs, bunch of caveman retards. They're just leaving sales on the table bro. Why they probably live in Bavaria, you know how those redneck hick losers are bro. Their game is clearly terrible, I mean like seriously no females? Clearly they can't into artistic sensibilities bro.

I think I came across as a little abrupt, maybe somewhat dismissive earlier. Just trying to level with you bro. This game just isn't on your level, they're practically erasing half the population. Run away bro. Just run away. Any fun you might derive from playing the most addictive tactical combatfag game in the last 20 years just isn't worth it bro. No tits and ass? What are you doing bro? Go away.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
(...)
To turn it around, how many people in this thread would be less interested in a game where you only had female characters or you couldn't have white characters?
Only females? You mean like Piratez for openxcom? It is liked here, I assume among the same people who like Battle Bros. I find the idea hilarious and overall great.
No white characters - if the game setting/story made it clear why that's the case, very few.
Any more questions?

Old One

Arcane
Legends mod adds women to Battle Brothers, and having tried it I have to say they don't belong, except in rare circumstances like the Hexe. It's called Battle Brothers for a reason.

The problem is, turning them off in Legends mod doesn't turn them off all the way - they still pop up here and there all the time.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I personally just keep women where they belong. Like in my dungeons...........
and dragons. :smug:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Only females? You mean like Piratez for openxcom
That has male slave troopers.
I am certain that Codexers play it because of the "male slaves". Yeah, that must be it.

The point is, it all depends on the context. Crazy chicks in space make sense - in a funny way. As are men-only cast in a game called "Battle Brothers" about a mercenary company in a low fantasy setting. As are whomever-you-can-imagine* in a D&D-like high fantasy, with an everything and your grandma approach.

*Except maybe for trannies but let's not go there.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Only females? You mean like Piratez for openxcom
That has male slave troopers.
I am certain that Codexers play it because of the "male slaves". Yeah, that must be it.

The point is, it all depends on the context. Crazy chicks in space make sense - in a funny way. As are men-only cast in a game called "Battle Brothers" about a mercenary company in a low fantasy setting. As are whomever-you-can-imagine* in a D&D-like high fantasy, with an everything and your grandma approach.

*Except maybe for trannies but let's not go there.
I just wanted to point out that Piratez doesn't necessarily cater to darkpatriot 's high standards.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Sounds pointless to me to skip a really good game just because it doesn't have females, but you do you.

There are lots of things that people may consider cosmetic and not care about, but they contribute to the overall gameplay experience for others. Stuff like art style, quality of graphics, is equipment shown on in game character models?, character customization, etc... Included in that would be gender and ethnicity of characters. To turn it around, how many people in this thread would be less interested in a game where you only had female characters or you couldn't have white characters?

Now none of this need affect gameplay at all, but it affects the overall gameplay experience a person has, which can have a big impact on how much a person enjoys the game.

In general this can be summed up as gameplay vs graphics. Although some things that are not not technically graphics would be in there, so maybe aesthetics would be a better term.

While I am sure many people may claim to care only about gameplay and not one bit about graphics (aesthetics), I don't believe them. I doubt there is even a single person that is true for. Some people may strongly value the gameplay over aesthetics, but I doubt there is anyone whose gameplay experience isn't impacted by the aesthetics at all.

And the aesthetic impact being strong enough to make a person less interested or not interested in a game is pretty common.

Preferring female characters models in games is also hardly a rare thing. Something worth considering if you are making games. You are definitely leaving some sales on the table if you don't have that option, and that is something to weigh against the resources needed to add them in.

why are you gay

Harthwain

Magister
To turn it around, how many people in this thread would be less interested in a game where you only had female characters or you couldn't have white characters?
I wouldn't [be less interested]. Because I am a gamer first and foremost. There are games where you play with some predetermined character. Do I have a preference? Sure. But I had no problems playing as Zoey or Louis (or Rochelle, or Coach) in Left 4 Dead series. To me what matters is the quality of the game (or how it plays. I am not too big on platformers or typical shooters), not the gender of the main character as such.

Now none of this need affect gameplay at all, but it affects the overall gameplay experience a person has, which can have a big impact on how much a person enjoys the game.
I disagree when it comes to RPGs. In case of RPGs having a choice of what your gender is should be possible and it should be impactful (and not just a coat of paint). Similarly how high charisma should be making NPCs react better towards you, etc. Ideally you'd also want to go so far as to have strong characters looking more muscly (or weak characters being nothing but skin and bones), etc.

1) How many people who play games are left-handed and how many games feature left-handed control scheme (in FPSes, for example) to cater to them?

2) Polls are hardly a good representation of large-scale population. Otherwise voting would be extremely predictable, which is the main reason why I don't treat any polls very seriously.

That said, aren't most games catering to both sexes already (unless the main characters HAS to be predetermined due to story)? To the point where you not only have two genders, but three/the possibility mishmash them (because of the whole LGBT thing that is strongly promoted in social media)?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I understand people complaining about the lack of legs, but lack of women?

That's definitely a first.

Enviado de meu SM-G780G usando o Tapatalk

Lios

Cipher
I don't understand the complaints about the lack of legs, and I don't understand the complaints about the lack of women either.
I adore the board-game aesthetic of the game so I don't miss legs, and I don't give a fuck about the sausage fest that is managing a band of mercenaries.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is why we don't have waifus in Battle Brothers. God damned womans ruining my company.
RAqrLw1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom