Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Lacrymas' homebrew fantasy setting where paladins are eunuchs

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why the different punishments?
The guy in the arena is/was the champion, so they decided to be merciful and only beat him and tied him to a pole in the center of the arena for 3 days. The other guy gets the usual punishment - exile.

It's also worth mentioning the arena was one possible quest out of 4.

Cael

Arcane
Ah, so the great, wonderful, superchurch plays favourites like a typical tyrannical ruling party. How expected. You know, like an arcane user has to be, convicted unborn, in the eunuch's setting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, it's almost as if hierarchies have biased members in them. I haven't really decided whether the church did that or the arena master decided not to tell them and punish him himself in order to not resort to exile. I don't think it matters that much, though, since biases are obviously involved. It matters from a worldbuilding perspective, whether the church plays favorites. I'll think about it, but it seems like a good idea.

Cael

Arcane
Yes, it's almost as if hierarchies have biased members in them. I haven't really decided whether the church did that or the arena master decided not to tell them and punish him himself in order to not resort to exile. I don't think it matters that much, though, since biases are obviously involved. It matters from a worldbuilding perspective, whether the church plays favorites. I'll think about it, but it seems like a good idea.
Idiot replaced magical tyranny with magical tyranny. Confirmed.

Reason for no arcane magic is just a stupid self-delusion.

Lacrymas

Arcane

What does this situation have to do with magic? This can happen anywhere, including our own world.

Cael

Arcane

What does this situation have to do with magic? This can happen anywhere, including our own world.
The irony of that statement when combined with your claimed reason to hate arcane magic. You are a worse fanatic than the Taliban.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I think everyone should know that I finished the adventure with a spoiled nigger chicken in my inventory:

chicken.png

Use this information however you see fit.
That feeling when Lacrymas is too raycis for codex.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Some interesting stuff has been presented herein. There's some ideas I find odd or even hilarious in the setting, but oh well.
I do have a question.

Nothing really to say about the game, other than that I've been in it many times before. It was a coming of the age story, with us doing some chores in the village and interacting with unmemorable NPCs, before we left the village to hunt a greater foe, only to return and find it burnt by unknown attackers. There were some attempts to add flavor to the game, but I don't feel like it couldn't be set in the angloland DnD usually takes place in, and none of the balls to the wall insanity from this 50 page thread really shone there, other than we've met a gay guy. The gay guy was also boring. There were no colorful descriptions or unique characters that would make me get invested into anything - which, although it was a one shot, I don't feel like were impossible to fit in.
The remarkable part of the game were the houserules. I'm generally not totally against houserules, but I also feel that if you want to homerule the campaign, you should be generally aware of the default rules, and why they are in place. I don't feel like that was the case.

I wouldn't say the game was awful, but it also wasn't special enough to be awful.

Lacrymas what possessed you to invite this ungrateful sack of shit into your game? Have you not seen his previous posts?
Maybe your setting is dogshit, I don't know. But if you spent the time creating your own world and you wrote for the benefit of other people you barely know for hours, no matter how bad it was, I'd be inclined to be impressed, not the opposite.
If you invited me to your 4 hours of free entertainment, I'd be thanking you, not shitting on your efforts in a public forum. Honestly, this fucking waste of oxygen right here is Reddit personified.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's kind of a complicated situation, but I don't blame him, he was ready to hate it from the start anyway. I'm not going to take away a man's basic pleasure of openly hating something. I might not agree with some of his thoughts on the matter, but that's a personal affair. SoupNazi also gave his two cents about the game and I know what I have to do to improve the one shot as a session/game now. I have to playtest the setting more, of course, and write more stuff for it, but I still think the initial premise is very strong, it just needs some more meat on its bones.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Please. Not include arcane casters in your setting(just a request, you can do whatever you want), after bastardizing Barbarians & Paladins, imagine what he would do to casters... The appeal of Barbarians is to be savage tribesman blurring the line between man and beast, your setting is the first setting that I saw, where barbarians are female only mothers with a formal training. And also the first setting with eunuch paladins. I imagine how much you would destroy arcane spells if implement arcane casters on it...

BTW, I'm glad that you are having fun despite not liking much your setting. Anything differently than the typical sword coast adventure must be praised. Doesn't matter how silly it seems to a grognard like me.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You see, Meredoth, despite being insane, was at least raised with some manners. We need more of that these days.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You see, Meredoth, despite being insane, was at least raised with some manners. We need more of that these days.

Lest we trigger someone. We wouldn't want that, now would we?

It's true my friend, ungratefulness is the one thing I can never get over.
Maybe when my cynicism reaches critical levels.

SoupNazi

Lacrymas what possessed you to invite this ungrateful sack of shit into your game? Have you not seen his previous posts?
Maybe your setting is dogshit, I don't know. But if you spent the time creating your own world and you wrote for the benefit of other people you barely know for hours, no matter how bad it was, I'd be inclined to be impressed, not the opposite.
If you invited me to your 4 hours of free entertainment, I'd be thanking you, not shitting on your efforts in a public forum. Honestly, this fucking waste of oxygen right here is Reddit personified.
Both me and Larianshill kind of went into it for the wrong reasons, I think. While Larianshill seemed to have joined out of pure irony, I went in with a genuine interest in what it'd be like to play, but expecting - honestly - the worst. So I didn't come into it with much seriousness myself, and then having Larianshill involved kind of got me joining the bandwagon of "having fun with it". I'm assuming here - I don't want to claim that's how Larianshill really went into it, just the way it felt. I indicated my reservations about the game to some other Codex member when they asked me why the fuck am I joining and basically said - look, it might be terrible, but I want to actually experience it.

Ultimately, I think the setting could be interesting for a long-term campaign, if Lacrymas follows my advice on setting up a proper design doc / wiki for players to learn about it before creating their characters - or runs a proper session 0 beforehand and answers most questions. A setting this specific needs specific characters to work, and the oneshot he has prepared as an "introductory adventure" does not service that well enough.

We didn't play enough for me to properly judge, and I'm spoiled by some abso-fucking-lutely excellent DMs that I play with, and the party chemistry was nowhere near good enough to support a homebrew world. But it's not bad on its own merit from what I've seen. With Lacry being a bit more comfortable DMing in a good group, it being long-term, and everyone having enough info to get themselves involved in it, I think it could be fun. I don't think the session we had was overall very representative of the setting itself - more of the group and Lacrymas' prep for it.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Is there anything else I could do to make you personally more upset? I would very much like that.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is there anything else I could do to make you personally more upset? I would very much like that.

Not really, you've reached the limit of piece-of-shitness, you're all set!

Larianshill

Arbiter
Thanks, it means a lot to me.

While Larianshill seemed to have joined out of pure irony
I've joined the game - and I declared it openly - purely to see how absolutely insane and terrible the setting is, and how much of craziness posted in this thread would be actually relevant to the game. I didn't end up seeing any of that - all the problems I've had with the game, which I relayed both in the chat and in this thread, were with the execution of it, not any ideas behind the setting.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The onus is on the architect of this madness for taking in a self-admitted saboteur at this point, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom