Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

CHEMS

Scholar
If you don't steal, you are bunkrupt on Domi.
My crossbower died from alfa rathounds at 14 lvl - cause I though - hoped like every piss poor - that what I have - riot gear I looted in underpassage - is enough, cause I caoudn't afford new, real riot gear of at least decent quality. So bunch of alfas munched my @ near Foundry.
I'll never ever will play with no stealing-ironman.

And that's with free loot from encounter at Rail Crossing, where I shot bunch of lurkers from across the platform, without risk.

Man, i already told this here. The biggest money maker in the game is having tailoring up to at least 50 so you can craft repair kits from rat hounds. Kill them, make leather armor, recycle the leather armor and make kits. With those, you can repair the numerous tacvests you'll loot and sell for ridiculous money. You can easily reach 10k charons by the level 16 in dominating doing so. This before even getting the rewards at the Arena. Trust me, i'm a min maxing autist with 4k hours in this hellish game.

Trashos

Arcane
I got the hostile beggar random event in the Foundry, near West's shop. This is not new, just rare. I have met him again in the Foundry a looong time ago, one screen north of that. This random encounter makes no sense, because he tries to mug you right next to the Foundry guard (in both cases).

This mission is trivial since we got the option to just camp right outside the exit grid and pop the mercenaries as soon as they get in. Before that, this mission was absolute hell as you'd get sniped all the time by some invisible asshole.

Yeah, I still deal with it in the oldschool way of staying back and filling up the place with traps, caltrops and toxic grenades. I should try camping at the exit at some point.

Tigranes

Arcane
I have finally, finally, reached the fabled abandoned waterways. (I usually abandon a build soon after level 20.) It was a blast. Good dungeon. The game is almost too big now after all the little added nooks and crannies.

If you don't steal, you are bunkrupt on Domi.
My crossbower died from alfa rathounds at 14 lvl - cause I though - hoped like every piss poor - that what I have - riot gear I looted in underpassage - is enough, cause I caoudn't afford new, real riot gear of at least decent quality. So bunch of alfas munched my @ near Foundry.
I'll never ever will play with no stealing-ironman.

And that's with free loot from encounter at Rail Crossing, where I shot bunch of lurkers from across the platform, without risk.

Man, i already told this here. The biggest money maker in the game is having tailoring up to at least 50 so you can craft repair kits from rat hounds. Kill them, make leather armor, recycle the leather armor and make kits. With those, you can repair the numerous tacvests you'll loot and sell for ridiculous money. You can easily reach 10k charons by the level 16 in dominating doing so. This before even getting the rewards at the Arena. Trust me, i'm a min maxing autist with 4k hours in this hellish game.

I play 3 STR characters that don't carry over limit, leave behind everything I can't carry, with no pickpocket, Dom/Oddity, and even ignore all repair scraps, no dissemble. And money is fine. You can't get everything you want but you never get seriously screwed. The only real annoyance is what merchants will/won't buy.

Perhaps the difference is if you're trying to buy a lot of top of line equipment from shops? I just buy all the consumables I need, and good parts for equipment as I see them.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Is there any information on enemy crit reduction? I'm talking about enemies such as the humanoid Naga Protector, Foundry mine creatures and so on.

Trashos

Arcane
Bladelings are immune to crits. You can find this info in the wiki.
There is less information on the expansion enemies, but iirc you can crit Nagas just fine.

Trashos

Arcane
My knife playthrough is going great. Ripper is great, Cut Throat is powerful and fun. My favorite build is supposed to be gloves, but now it has competition. The early game was much smoother with knives. Later I found a very powerful electricity knife, and it simplified things until I could craft my own. Unfortunately, I do not remember where I found it.
Gloves are faster due to Lightning Punches, and they can go Survival Insticts, which knives can't if I want to take Fancy Footwork, Ripper and have some INT. So they both have their advantages.

Lately, I have been trying builds that I was not sure I would like: the previous one was chem pistols (I was worried they would be too slow), now it is knives (I was worried about playing melee without SI). They both turned out great. I am wondering what other build that I have been avoiding could also turn out great. Maybe I should try Swords. On the one hand they look fun, but on the other they look like they can be frustrating, as I am not the gambler type.

Btw, the Waterways look a bit more lively now. I cannot put my finger on why. Maybe it is increased traffic with more jet skiers? Also, I have been meeting the Traveling Merchant a lot. I think he is always somewhere, and it is just a matter of crossing paths.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Cut Throat is powerful and fun
AP reduction and ability to use it out of stealth was gamechanger. Also adding expedition made it somewhat worth picking. Actually last time i used it was long time ago, before such changes and it was already fun.
Wouldnt mind coming back to it at some point and spend spec points in it

CHEMS

Scholar
Yeah, I still deal with it in the oldschool way of staying back and filling up the place with traps, caltrops and toxic grenades. I should try camping at the exit at some point.
You do that. It's way better. Easier to loot the 20tons of stuff after the battle too. :cool:

Btw, the Waterways look a bit more lively now. I cannot put my finger on why. Maybe it is increased traffic with more jet skiers? Also, I have been meeting the Traveling Merchant a lot. I think he is always somewhere, and it is just a matter of crossing paths.
How's jet stki combat treating you with this build? My fist-PK build kicks ass even on dominating, but waterbourne combat is just frustrating. Hard to hit enemies and when you do hit them, you hit the jetski instead. Makes really hard to stun lock them and you're really vulnerable since the best jet for unarmed is the torpedo. Expedition automatons are also a major pain in the ass with this build too.

Trashos

Arcane
I think I know why the Waterways look livelier. There are a lot more special jet skis around.

lukaszek, yeah, Cut Throat is great at taking out one of the enemies when fighting groups. It also BTFOed the Rathound King, Zaman, and Balor's turn is coming (not the damage per se, unless it crits, but the stun).

Hard to hit enemies and when you do hit them, you hit the jetski instead. Makes really hard to stun lock them and you're really vulnerable since the best jet for unarmed is the torpedo. Expedition automatons are also a major pain in the ass with this build too.

I don't know yet, but I generally do not fight jet skis (other than the random encounters). I am on the Devastator, I need its tankiness against the serpents and the naval assaults on the natives. I have suspension size 3 and the pirate feats, so hopefully I will hit just fine. We will see. I also have throwing knives and grenades if all else fails.

The shock knife destroys strongmen. I don't know about nagas yet. I will try expose weakness with crits, my shock knife and my energy knife, and see if anything tickles them.

I will report back when the time comes.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
How is the new modding for the sledge? I don't want to get sucked back in after stopping about a month and a half ago and getting my life back together.

Sheepherder

Augur
How is the new modding for the sledge? I don't want to get sucked back in after stopping about a month and a half ago and getting my life back together.
The extra damage from the spikes can crit. It's also increased by crit damage feats like CP, CS and Heavy Weight. Since it's a hammer, it ignores DT on living targets, so the spikes are actually useful, unlike spikes on fists or armor.
In other words, it's a single target focused damage mod.

Trashos

Arcane
So, I fought the first Naga with my knife build. It was the lone one outside Nexus, and I killed it on first try. Electricity and Energy didn't do anything from the respective knives. What worked was EMP grenade -> Expose Weakness -> crits (mechanical).
Luckily I have Ripper, so in the 2nd round my crits were doing huge damage.
Note that energy/electricity from knives don't crit. That's probably why they couldn't go through, and were useless.

Some corrosive acid from Katya would have come in handy to reduce the Naga's mechanical resistance, but I forgot to bring any. Anyway, it turned out I didn't need it for the lone Naga.
-----------

Unfortunately, I was right and traps do not stop Creepers. I almost died in the Basalt Caves again. I do not have a decent strategy for that place nor any good ideas. Maybe next time I will try using gas grenades. Even pesticide. I have never tried pesticide on the Creepers.

CHEMS

Scholar
Unfortunately, I was right and traps do not stop Creepers. I almost died in the Basalt Caves again. I do not have a decent strategy for that place nor any good ideas. Maybe next time I will try using gas grenades. Even pesticide. I have never tried pesticide on the Creepers.
Melee with spiders? Better avoind them altogheter... The weaver will always lock you with the web. Unless you can kill those first, you'll have a bad time.

Trashos

Arcane
Better avoid them altogheter

B-b-but the Oddities! There are several oddities in the Basalt Caves.
I had Escape Artist, Stasis, and Morphine/Aegis, plus a good energy shield. Still, they kept coming and at one point I was a couple of crits away from dying. I have to find a better strategy for non-tanks.

CHEMS

Scholar
Better avoid them altogheter

B-b-but the Oddities! There are several oddities in the Basalt Caves.
I had Escape Artist, Stasis, and Morphine/Aegis, plus a good energy shield. Still, they kept coming and at one point I was a couple of crits away from dying. I have to find a better strategy for non-tanks.

Try spamming magnesium grenades. Fire works great against them. You could try bottleneck them and kill one by one. Also, flashbangs are good for unstealthing and stunning them. Fetid Marsh won't be doable though, impossible with pure melee since you can't even use your boat to reach the attacking serpents.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Fetid Marsh won't be doable though, impossible with pure melee since you can't even use your boat to reach the attacking serpents.

Fetid Marsh is doable with stealth. Serpents you can bait to step on the correct square, savescrumming helps.

Trashos

Arcane
I have even tried napalm grenades with other builds. I recall that they didn't eliminate the danger. It has been a while and I don't remember whether I made any tactical mistakes, maybe I should try them again. But I think the Creepers run through the fire even in the napalm case.

I have never done the Fetid Marsh. Some day!

Trashos

Arcane
Regarding the Fetid Marsh: Now that I think about it, the question is whether there is a safe spot one can retreat to after attacking. If there is one, then you can invite the fish with a grenade, attack them with Temporal Distortion, and retreat to the safe spot. That's how I kill the sea wyrms at the entrance of the Basalt Caves.

Tigranes

Arcane
Hi guys,

(1) What would be some interesting high AGI builds? Right now I'm thinking about some kind of AGI melee that can max all the naval feats, make all the Expedition exploration AGI checks. Trying to gauge whether it's worth going for Blitz, and the current choices around unarmed vs. gloves vs. knife.

(2) Trashos, want to share your current knife build?

Trashos

Arcane
Gloves over unarmed for me. Different gloves give many strategic possibilities, like shock gloves against robots. The DEX investment is high (you want to reach 17 DEX with gloves), but it translates to skills so it is fine by me.

My knife build. It is great to play, but note that I was already experienced in melee tactics via my fist builds.
STR3 DEX10++ AG10 CON3 PE3 WILL5 INT6

Feats:
1. Nimble & Reckless
2. Sure Step
4. Weaponsmith
6. Cheap Shots
8. Ripper
10. Fancy Footwork
12. Expose Weakness
14. Critical Power
16. Blitz
18. Cut Throat
20. Psycho Temporal Acceleration
22. Escape Artist
24. Fatal Throw
26. DEX+2
28. Remote Surgeon
30. Split Spare

Skills:
max: Melee, Throwing, Stealth
high crafting: mechanics, electronics, tailoring
Other: TM 70, Pickpocket 70 late for the oddities, Dodge 40 for Fancy Footwork, Hacking, Lockpicking, Mercantile.

Gear:
Tri Crome combat knives for the reduced AP cost. A plain one, a shock one, and an energy one.
Infused rathound leather armor for the crit%.
Tabi boots.
Throwing Glove in the offhand sometimes.

Spec:
In this order:
Expose Weakness duration 1/1
Cheap Shots 7/10
Ripper 7/10
I could consider putting some Fatal Throw or Remote Surgeon in instead of a few Ripper points.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
(1) What would be some interesting high AGI builds? Right now I'm thinking about some kind of AGI melee that can max all the naval feats, make all the Expedition exploration AGI checks. Trying to gauge whether it's worth going for Blitz, and the current choices around unarmed vs. gloves vs. knife.
going for expert sprint? wanted to do it with agile spear build but lost interest early. Can add brutalize for extra spice, intimidate works well with dodge/eva

found plan in my archive: https://underrail.info/build/?GgwHD...AAAAAAAAAAMKMVTkkHRZEBsKswpVHEsKBwpRLwoXCpd-_
squeezing subterfuge skills in is hard most feat starved build that I ever planned, I dare say you wont find anything more interesting, even fits naval combat stuff as spear gets extra feat for it.
No crafting, gear with mercantile and uniques.

Tigranes

Arcane
Thanks folks. Playing around with it, would like input on:

(1) Glove Boy
https://underrail.info/build/?FAMPCgMDAwUAMgBuKABuADcAAAAAAAAAAG4ANwAASyQ5MSsgBhITRwdLTjzfvw

STR vs DEX? My memory is that you'd either go TK Punch + Corporeal Projection + Unarmed STR bonus for the big hits, OR you go Crit based Lightning Punches many-hits mode. This draft is geared to DEX, but I also don't know what to do with the leftover ability points - I guess it could bump up anything but not sure of a clear purpose.

(2) Knife Boy,
largely based on Trashos + Sheepherder's old build IIRC
https://underrail.info/build/?FAMPCgMDBQYAMgBuKABuAB4AABkAAAAFAAAANwBuSzkxRAAGExJcS0cLPN-_

I would probably see which feats I really need when - Escape Artist & Brutality really need to get in there somehow but not sure what to drop. Nimble isn't strictly necessary, is it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom