Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Guile & Glory: Firstborn is a tactical RPG with puzzle encounters and an oldschool arcade aesthetic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Elston Studios; Guile & Glory: Firstborn

Guile & Glory: Firstborn is a tactical RPG made by an Australian fellow named Daniel Elston. The game appears to be set in a Conan-esque heroic fantasy world, in which the hero and his party must defeat their immortal foes by using the environment against them in puzzle-like encounters. It's also got an early 90s pixel art aesthetic with sound effects straight of an old arcade game. Apparently the game has been in development since 2016 including a year in Early Access, but it only came to my attention when Codex newsbot cyborgboy95 posted a thread about it earlier today. Well, better late than never. Here's its trailer and description:

A lone warrior enters the Drowned Lands, seeking revenge for the family he lost to an unimaginable foe. His quest takes an unexpected turn when he meets two other travellers, each drawn by desperation to the ancient land of gods and monsters.

Amidst the ruins of a long-forgotten empire, the companions find themselves swept up in events that will shape the fates of mortals and demigods alike. Legends come alive, and three heroes rise to challenge an ancient darkness from the earliest days of the world.

The Battlefield is Your Weapon

Master natural hazards and deadly traps as you make your stand against the darkness in turn-based tactical combat. The enemies in Firstborn may be immune to mortal weapons, but they can still die.

Cut a swathe through the hordes of nightmarish immortals by pushing, pulling or maneuvering your opponents into the path of lethal hazards.

Your Legend Awaits

Gather and lead a party of unlikely heroes as they rise from humble beginnings to become humanity's greatest champions.

Choose how your heroes grow and develop, and create the ultimate team to battle the ancient legions of the Firstborn.

Vanquish Mighty Bosses

Ferocious beasts haunt the forgotten corners of Firstborn's world, waiting to unleash their earth-shaking fury upon unwary travelers.

Wield skill, patience, and courage to prevail against impossible odds as you cast down nightmarish titans from an age long forgotten.

A Savage World

Take up the mantle of Aspirant and face the challenge of Guile & Glory's campaign head on; or assemble your perfect team to explore the furthest reaches of the Drowned Lands. As you conquer ever greater challenges, you will unlock powerful Boons of Divinity that offer new ways for your heroes to face their foes.

Each new region you explore will bring its own challenges and unique enemies to test your mettle as you lead your heroes on a quest for revenge across an ancient world of gods and monsters.

Guile & Glory: Firstborn is available on Steam now for just $10. Seems potentially interesting, I'd say.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Is it kind of like Ultima 4 tactics battles? I loved those.
But those it also have an RPG open world, or it's just the battles part?
Edit: Yea, it looks like gay indie game. From the indie acult.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Ten bucks, at least they're not asking too much. Might be good for what it is. Looks better than most of the shit on the front page.

However, take note: it started 5 years ago as a student project by some kids at one of those trendy new Game Design universities, then they got money from the Australian government through a business incubator program. Calibrate your expectations accordingly.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
How many have tried the demo? I just need to port it over from my phone for a spin.
completed first 3 maps in demo. It is a puzzle game, no combat. Think that mech game which name I forgot, but without damaging skills. Only utility ones.

Quite charming and Im into it. That being said I do hope that it gets harder later on

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
demo with annoying features to stop you from experiencing full demo are... annoying.
Demo of this one doesnt save progress.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Full game will have 100 maps or 1,000 and custom create your own?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom