Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Conscript - WW1 survival horror by one-man Kickstarter

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
WWI trench warfare does have certain horrific dehumanizing aspect to warfare that hasn't been seen since.

Over twelve battalions of the 11th Landwehr Division, making up more than 7000 men, advanced after the bombardment expecting little resistance. They were met at the first defense line by a counter-charge made up of the surviving soldiers of the 13th Company of the 226th Infantry Regiment. The Germans became panicked by the appearance of the Russians, who were coughing up blood and bits of their own lungs, as the hydrochloric acid formed by the mix of the chlorine gas and the moisture in their lungs had begun to dissolve their flesh. The Germans retreated, running so fast they were caught up in their own c-wire traps. The five remaining Russian guns subsequently opened fire on the fleeing Germans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_of_the_Dead_Men

Not necessarily the most appealing atmosphere to spend extended time tho. Need to have some hope and occasional sunshine, or the horror numbs you.

toughasnails

re: the graphics, I'd say try the demo and see what you think of it. It might seem "cartoony" from screenshots, but the in-game vibe's pretty dark.
He likely based that mostly off the art used in the YT thumbnails. It definitely isn't representative of the actual visuals.

Harthwain

Magister
EDIT: Forgot to add, one thing that irks me is that you can't loot enemies. There are enemies with rifles and trench shovels, but you can't take their items.
Riflemen do seem to drop rifle ammo.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The demo with the running and the melee kinda looks like Gauntlet with WW1 outfits. The enemies seem to amass on the player with melee while he shoots and runs. Looks interesting, but I can't get over the guy shooting exploding barrels as a combat maneuver. Not sure, I think I'd rather have it more stealth and small skirmishes than running around in a maze shooting and reloading while running and shooting some more. Yah, I get it, it's inspired by the WW2 movie 1917 and such, but they should have just made the movie about WW2 trench warfare.

Harthwain

Magister
Not sure, I think I'd rather have it more stealth and small skirmishes than running around in a maze shooting and reloading while running and shooting some more. Yah, I get it, it's inspired by the WW2 movie 1917 and such, but they should have just made the movie about WW2 trench warfare.
Actually, it was inspired by games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Not sure, I think I'd rather have it more stealth and small skirmishes than running around in a maze shooting and reloading while running and shooting some more. Yah, I get it, it's inspired by the WW2 movie 1917 and such, but they should have just made the movie about WW2 trench warfare.
Actually, it was inspired by games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
Thanks - I would have never spotted that, never had a console or such. While it looks good (maybe it's me) I'd have it zoom out a bit more for more distanced combat, with cover/crouching/something. Real time is fine. You know, rifle fights at ~10' or less just seem kind of kind of goofy. Maybe have it zoom out when in long hallways and zoom in when you enter a room.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While it looks good (maybe it's me) I'd have it zoom out a bit more for more distanced combat, with cover/crouching/something. Real time is fine. You know, rifle fights at ~10' or less just seem kind of kind of goofy. Maybe have it zoom out when in long hallways and zoom in when you enter a room.
That feeling of claustrophobia is absolutely intentional. I agree it looks a little dumb to have a long hallway you can't see down, but even this is an artifact of the game's inspirations, with their fixed cameras that denied the player's ability to see everything the character should see. Also all the trailers show swirling smoke everywhere, implying reduced visibility even in open spaces. This is definitely not supposed to be a long range cover shooter.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
While it looks good (maybe it's me) I'd have it zoom out a bit more for more distanced combat, with cover/crouching/something. Real time is fine. You know, rifle fights at ~10' or less just seem kind of kind of goofy. Maybe have it zoom out when in long hallways and zoom in when you enter a room.
That feeling of claustrophobia is absolutely intentional. I agree it looks a little dumb to have a long hallway you can't see down, but even this is an artifact of the game's inspirations, with their fixed cameras that denied the player's ability to see everything the character should see. Also all the trailers show swirling smoke everywhere, implying reduced visibility even in open spaces. This is definitely not supposed to be a long range cover shooter.

The time when you're in the locker room and a German soldier sneaks in with a wrench... that gave me chills. Jumped a few times when the bastard struck me from out of nowhere.

Harthwain

Magister
Thanks - I would have never spotted that, never had a console or such.
Neither had I. I read it from developer's Kickstarter devblog.

You know, rifle fights at ~10' or less just seem kind of kind of goofy. Maybe have it zoom out when in long hallways and zoom in when you enter a room.
Wait until you get a gas mask, because then your problems with vision get worse and your hearing will also be impacted by Darth Vader-esque breathing sound. For me this adds further tension to the game (on top of long hallways, soundsteps and the rifle being clunky to use in such conditions), but your mileage may vary.

The way I understand it rifle's main downside is the long aiming time and reload, meaning you use it as one-shot and switch to something else. Unless you want to dodge/sprint away (which you can do), to have time to empty the chamber, aim and fire again. If you want something designed for CQC then you should be using shotgun, pistol or melee weapons. Lastly, you can use weapon parts to improve weapons (like, making the rifle reload faster).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, now it doesn't sound too bad. Rather than talking out my ass, I guess I'll give it a shot. I really lack a frame of reference on this type of game.

toughasnails

I really lack a frame of reference on this type of game.
I find this p surprising... This type of horror game has been out of fashion for a while but they were the shit in the late 90s and early to mid 00s. And not only on consoles, a number of RE and Silent Hill games were on PC not to mention their various imitators.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting concept.

Also, never buy a game that isn't released.

Crowdfunding is a scam 99% of the time, and the other 1% of the time, you don't lose anything by just waiting for the game to come out anyways.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorry I had to use rolleyes x 1 Flunk. We don't have a button for a single eyestalk "rolleye". Yet.

I've received much more than my money's worth out of plenty of kickstarters. I've also been burned, but your numbers are bunk.

Harthwain

Magister
I got through the demo. Some changes:

- The map is much more open, but I am not sure if this is better as you can wander a bit aimlessly if you miss an item or an area you need to find in order to progress.

- Doors are labeled on the map (once you use them and park the cursor with WASD on them), so it is easier to tell what item you need to get through them.

- Pistol became significantly weaker.

Or, to be precise, the starting pistol got swapped for a different pistol (Ruby). One that is much weaker than the original I played with (it was Mauser C96, if memory serves). To the point where I am not sure making pistol ammo is worthwhile. Especially considering not only it deals less damage - it no longer stunlocks enemies. Before you were exchanging ammo for safety before, now you have to either run away or dodge. At which point you might be using the shovel (which can stunlock enemies) instead. However, this could be because the starting pistol is supposed to be weak, and the later versions are going to pack more punch. I mentioned the Mauser, but I read (and saw some screenshots) suggesting a revolver!
- Speaking of the weapons: now you can find multiple melee weapons (or buy them at the shop guy).

Why multiple? Because now they break. The upside - they stun enemies and deal more damage than the starting knife. Ironically enough they seem to be stronger than the starting pistol because of these changes. That said, beware of missing with the shovel (or misstiming the attack), because you are in for a world of hurt if you do.
- How stamina works is interesting.

It gets drained when you sprint or dodge. You can't sprint when in the process of recovering of stamina (greyed out bar) and it drains the recovering stamina when you dodge, meaning if you dodge you delay the moment in which you can sprint, so it takes some skill to know how to dodge well (or know how to run away).
- There is no gas section or gas mask in the demo (or I didn't find it). But I did find instructions about two types of gas (phosgene and chlorine). Part of it sounds like lore/history lesson, but a bit suggests using a bandage combined with alcohol to combat the effects of gas (presumably until you find the gas mask).

- You can buy inventory bags directly from the shop guy. Before you had to find them, which added to item progression.

- New enemies really spice up the combat (the armored guy, the rifleman and the faster running club guy), adding to enemy variety.

- There is the shop guy.

He sells A LOT of useful stuf (saves, inventory upgrades, allows to upgrade weapons, crafting components, etc.). On the flipside it seems like there are less items to be found on the map (some are still there, but cigarettes are way more common). I guess this was done to promote even more flexibility when it comes to resource management and reduce the inventory clutter without removing the whole "combine items to create what you need at the moment" approach, which is OK in my book.

- You can buy the shoulder-mounted flashlight (torch), which lights up the dark tunnels really nicely (and make your blind spots a lot more apparent). The existence of equipment slot suggests there will be more items that you can wear. I suspect you can make a choice at least between the gas mask and the torch, for example.

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
WWI trench warfare does have certain horrific dehumanizing aspect to warfare that hasn't been seen since.

Over twelve battalions of the 11th Landwehr Division, making up more than 7000 men, advanced after the bombardment expecting little resistance. They were met at the first defense line by a counter-charge made up of the surviving soldiers of the 13th Company of the 226th Infantry Regiment. The Germans became panicked by the appearance of the Russians, who were coughing up blood and bits of their own lungs, as the hydrochloric acid formed by the mix of the chlorine gas and the moisture in their lungs had begun to dissolve their flesh. The Germans retreated, running so fast they were caught up in their own c-wire traps. The five remaining Russian guns subsequently opened fire on the fleeing Germans.

Not necessarily the most appealing atmosphere to spend extended time tho. Need to have some hope and occasional sunshine, or the horror numbs you.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry I had to use rolleyes x 1 Flunk. We don't have a button for a single eyestalk "rolleye". Yet.

I've received much more than my money's worth out of plenty of kickstarters. I've also been burned, but your numbers are bunk.

Ok. Value is different for everyone, so I won't try to impose my values onto you.

For me though, it makes more sense to wait for a game to be fully released. In my book, it either comes out and I buy it, or the project goes bust and I don't buy it. There isn't much middle ground here. I won't ever be the deciding factor in a game being developed or not, and even though its "illegal" for a crowdfunder to take the money and not deliver a product, even if its not out right fraud but just mismanagement of funds or general incompetence, nobody is ever going to bother suing a crowdfunder because it will never go anywhere. This makes it easy for incompetent people to ask for money, or people who may be "competent" but have no idea how to actually finish a project before the cash runs out.

Either way, see my first position that there is no loss in just waiting for a game to come out.

Anyways, here is a little info for you

Section 5.3 seems most relevant, and this is about 10 years old when crowdfunding was starting to come into its own and people weren't really scamming that hard yet. Although there are more recent data sets available now too.

I'm not looking to write a paper on this shit, but I can say with confidence that waiting for a game to be released is the ideal outcome, especially if its already been "fully funded", which is the case here.

There are plenty of people who just want to collect a check and work on a video game until the cash runs out. You can read the paper for some of the psychological motivations if you want, but to suggest that there aren't huge problems with crowdfunding because you had a couple good results is bunk.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S088390261300058X

As a bonus, Here is a quick analysis from a "reputable" vidya mag of the top 50 most crowdfunded games.

Only 14.89 percent released within six months of those targets. Still less than half -- 44.68 percent came out within a year of their estimates.

Fraudulent Behavior by Entrepreneurs and Borrowers

Christa Hainz

5.1 Introduction

The crowdfunding market is a child of the digital revolution and, although
still in its infancy, it is growing rapidly. Prosper.com, one of the first
crowdfunding platforms to engage in peer-to-peer lending, was founded
in 2006. Just like new products new markets have to demonstrate that
they satisfy needs that would otherwise be unmet. The need addressed by
crowdfunding platforms is to bring supply and demand of capital
together.1 As funding decisions involve significant risks, the platforms
need to build up the reputation that transactions take place in a fair and
trustworthy manner. Otherwise investors are not willing to invest.
To build up this reputation it is important to limit fraudulent behav-
ior. From other financial markets we know that fraud has severely nega-
tive repercussions on the market. There is evidence from the United
States that households in states that are also home to firms involved in
corporate fraud cases reduce their stock market participation (Giannetti
and Wang 2016). In Germany the so-called Neuer Markt (a stock market
for small- and medium-size innovative growth firms) was dissolved in
2003 only a few years after its launch in 1997. One of the main reasons
was that some major corporate scandals, such as misstatement of turn-
over and insider trade, eroded its reputation (Burghof and Hunger 2004).
A similar effect could occur in the crowdfunding market in case of fraud.
As the market is still very young, the negative effects of fraud cases might
be very strong and potentially unfold a destructive power. Fraud by plat-
forms will exert similar negative externalities.
In this chapter we investigate fraud by borrowers and entrepreneurs.
Fraud has many different faces. We use the definition provided by
Cummings et al. (2016, 4) for reward-based crowdfunding and formu-
late it for crowdfunding in general. The investor must verify that the fol-
lowing five different elements are present in order to prove fraud on the
part of a firm: (1) the firm must have made a false statement related to a
material fact, (2) the firm must have known that the statement was
untrue, (3) it must have been the firm’s intention to deceive the investor,
(4) the investor must have reasonably relied on the statements of the firm,
and (5) the investor must have been injured, which is most likely the case
if funds are lost.2
We will begin this chapter by taking an economic perspective on
fraudulent behavior. We use the sketch of a model with asymmetric
information to highlight the role of uncertainty and discuss mechanisms
to reduce the underlying incentives problem. We then review the existing
evidence on potentially fraudulent behavior in the three different crowd-
funding markets and highlight their limitations. We subsequently discuss
those factors that influence the detection of fraud and conclude by offer-
ing some policy implications.

5.2 Asymmetric Information and Fraud

The behavior of agents and the relationship between agents and their
principals is studied in contract theory. The idea underlying the models
in contract theory is that the agents, or in the case of financial services the
firms represented by their managers, have better information than their
principals, the financiers; and that the former use the information asym-
metry for their own benefit. The contract theoretical models deal with
fraudulent behavior without calling it fraud. As the definition of fraud
has shown, the challenge is to demonstrate that an agent’s behavior is
fraudulent and that the agent took his actions by intent. Contracts can
specify variables that can be observed and verified. However, the agent’s
behavior cannot be stipulated in a contract because it cannot be observed
and verified. At the point in time at which the contract is written there is
uncertainty about the outcome of a project. In the context of finance this
means that the capital that is invested in a project does not generate a
return with certainty, but that there is a distribution of returns. The ulti-
mate return is, in contrast to the agent’s behavior, observable and verifi-
able and therefore can be the subject matter of a contract. We will discuss
two problems of fraud depending on the point in time when it takes
place; the agent can deceive the principal before or after the contract is
concluded.

5.2.1 Adverse Selection

At the point in time before the principal and the agent enter into a con-
tractual relationship the principal cannot observe the agent’s type, that is
whether the agent has a high- or low-risk production technology. The
agent’s type will influence the distribution of the returns and ultimately
returns are observable.
An example of adverse selection from crowdfunding is Kobe beef jerky.
In a Kickstarter campaign Magnus Fun Inc. offered Kobe beef jerky
shortly after the import of Kobe beef to the United States was allowed,
but still heavily regulated. The original goal was to raise USD 2,374. In
fact more than 3,000 backers offered over USD 120,000. A team of filmmakers detected inconsistencies in the figures of Magnus Fun Inc.
and the campaign stopped briefly before it would have been completed
and the money of the principals could have been lost.3

5.2.2 Moral Hazard
The second problem of asymmetric information arises after the contract
is concluded because the agent cannot commit to a certain behavior, such
as investing the money as promised or exerting effort in managing the
project. This problem can be referred to as moral hazard.4 By exerting
effort the agent increases the probability that the project generates a high
return, enabling the agent to make payments to its principal. Similarly
the agent can divert the funds instead of investing them appropriately,
meaning that the project stands a relatively low chance of proving
successful.
There are two fraud cases from crowdfunding that can serve as exam-
ples for moral hazard. Jen Hintz raised USD 26,000 on Kickstarter for
FibroFibers, an indie yarn-dyeing business. In reality she did not spend
the money on her business, but instead used it to finance her move from
North Carolina to Massachusetts. Another example comes from
GoFundMe. A mother raised money for paying the cancer treatments for
her daughter. The daughter, however, was healthy and the money was
spent otherwise (Fredman 2015).
We want to use the following simple model to illustrate the moral
hazard model for the crowdlending market. Therefore the contracting
parties are called borrower and lender. We study credit contracts in which
borrowers first receive credit and then decide on where to invest the
money. If the borrower invests the money in the proposed project the
probability of success, that is of being able to repay the loan, is pH. If he
does not invest the money as proposed, but uses it for his own purposes,
he will get a private benefit b with certainty, but the project will never
succeed. The borrower has a return of X in the case of success and zero in
the case of failure; returns are assumed to be verifiable. Furthermore, we
assume that investment I is efficient from a social welfare perspective only
if the borrower decides to invest the money instead of taking the private
benefit, that is pH X − I > b. However, the choice of the borrower is not
observable and causes a moral hazard problem. We assume that the bor-
rower possesses assets totaling the amount of A that can be liquidated by
the lender in the case of failure. Thus, the borrower’s liability is limited to
A (<I). The payoffs are depicted in Fig. 5.1. It is worth noting that in the
case of investing as proposed, the payoff might be 0 whereas it is certainly
0 in the case of fraud. Thus, for the investor it is impossible to distinguish
between fraudulent and non-fraudulent behavior in this case because the
agent’s investment decision is not observable. But the lender gets an
imperfect signal as to the borrower’s behavior. Therefore, the contract

upload_2021-10-9_13-20-13.png

terms are the means of solving the moral hazard problem; they must be
set such that they give the borrower an incentive to behave
non-fraudulently.
The principals offer a contract {R; A} to the borrower, in which R is the
repayment in the successful state and A is the liability in case of default.
Although crowdfunding contracts do not specify collateral, borrowers are
liable with all their assets in case of default and A measures the borrower’s
liability.5 In order to solve the moral hazard problem, the credit contract
must satisfy an incentive compatibility constraint (1), which states that
the net payoff for the borrower must be higher when investing in the
project than when taking the money and spending it on for its own pri-
vate benefit. When investing the money the borrower will be successful
with probability pH, generating a return of X and repaying R to the lender.
If the project fails, the borrower will lose all of his assets totaling the
amount of A. When the borrower spends the money for its own benefit,
he gains a private benefit of b, but will certainly lose its assets A

upload_2021-10-9_13-20-52.png

This equation helps us to understand the problems that may arise
because a project is credit financed. As we assumed that pH X − I > b,
nobody would undertake a fraudulent project with its own means.
However, if it is possible to find a lender that provides a loan, the bor-
rower does not have to bear all the costs of his (non-)investment and
therefore may have an incentive to take the money from the lender and
spend it on its own purposes, getting a private benefit of b. Equation (2)
states the condition a credit contract has to fulfill so that the borrower
will opt for the investment. Comparative statistics provide interesting
insights. The higher the private benefits from diverting the funds, the
higher the incentive to opt for diverting the funds. On the other hand,
the more profitable the investment project, that is the higher the proba-
bility of success pH and the return in case of success X, the lower the
incentive to divert the funds. Most importantly, the terms of the credit
contract influence the borrower’s incentives. The higher the repayment R
and the lower the liability A, the more attractive it is for the borrower to
divert the funds. The lower the liability of the borrower, the more diffi-
cult it will be to write an incentive-compatible contract. Here it is impor-
tant to bear in mind that the lower the difference between (R−A), the
higher the incentive not to divert the funds and invest them as
proposed.
Ultimately there are two ways to address problems of asymmetric
information. The first way is to reduce the information asymmetry. The
second way is to write a contract that gives the borrower an incentive not
to exploit its information advantage. The simple model above has shown
that in the case of moral hazard the difference between the repayment in
the case of success and failure, that is (R−A), should be low.
In the banking context, reducing information asymmetry after the
contract is signed is reached by monitoring the borrower. To this end the
borrower has to document the development of his business regularly by
showing balance sheet and other data to the loan officer. However, moni-
toring imposes a fixed cost on the bank, making it unattractive for small
loan sizes. For microcredit new contractual forms have emerged as a
result. The first microfinance bank, the Grameen bank in Bangladesh,
initially only granted microloans to groups of borrowers with joint liabil-
ity. The idea was to exploit the knowledge that individual borrowers have
about their peers. Thus borrowers would exert pressure on their peers to
repay the loan because otherwise the well-performing borrowers would
have to repay for their defaulting peers.

The microfinance loans have another important feature to improve
incentives. Borrowers can build up a credit history. A good credit history
gives them access to future loans and the size of those loans increases over
time. This means that default leads to a loss of reputation. In our simple
model above this could be captured as a higher liability whereby borrow-
ers do not lose physical assets, but their reputation. The same mecha-
nisms exist when a borrower and a bank have a longer-term relationship
and when information-sharing devices exist in a credit market.
We have just discussed the mechanisms that could solve the moral
hazard problem. Similar mechanisms exist for adverse selection. For
crowdfunding to be successful it must develop ways to solve the problems
created by asymmetric information, as otherwise it will attract fraudulent
projects that are not financed by financial intermediaries that have mech-
anisms in place that solve these problems. An adverse selection problem
therefore exists between different lenders, that is, between platforms and
more generally between the more traditional financial market and the
crowdfunding platforms. In the end there are several adverse selection
problems, one between the lender and the borrower and another one
between different lenders.

5.3 Empirical Evidence on Fraud

No systematic evidence on cases of fraud in crowdfunding has been col-
lected to date. We will provide some evidence on (what we will call)
performance problems in the three different areas of crowdfunding, such
as non-deliveries and defaults.

5.3.1 Reward-Based Crowdfunding

Reward-based crowdfunding differs in several aspects from crowdlending
and crowdinvesting. Firstly, it does not necessarily give a monetary payoff
to the backers, but does provide them some other reward, such as the
product or a giveaway which, for example, may be a documentary of how
a product is made or a project t-shirt. Perhaps as a result it is often not
perceived as an investment by the backers. Legal scholars argue that the
backers’ motivation to provide money is not to finance the development
of the product, but rather to buy rewards or goods. This argument is
illustrated by the Pebble Smartwatch project in which most backers (96
percent of the 68,929) pledged at least USD 99 which was the threshold
above which one obtained the product. If backers wanted to see the
Pebble Smartwatch to be developed, the fraction of contributions below
the threshold should have been (much) higher. From a legal point of view
the parties enter a contract for the design and manufacture of a specific
good. But the important difference to other contracts for purchasing
products on- or off-line is that the goods in reward-based crowdfunding
have not been produced at the point in time the contract is concluded
(Moores 2015).6 This means that there is more uncertainty involved
when purchasing a good via reward-based crowdfunding, which might
often not be fully acknowledged by the parties of the contract, and par-
ticularly by the buyer.
Mollick (2014) studies data on performance problems on Kickstarter.
He uses data on Kickstarter projects from its start in 2009 until July
2012. During that period over 23,000 projects were successfully funded
on the platform (which equals a 48.1 percent share of all proposals sub-
mitted). To see how the projects perform over time the author analyzes
the final outcome of the 471 projects in the categories of Design and
Technology, which had specified delivery dates before July 2012. Among
these 471 projects 381 had outcomes that were clearly identifiable.
Within this group there were 14 projects that failed (or 3.6 percent)
either issuing a refund (3 projects) or stopping to respond to backers
(11). However, among the better-performing projects delivery on time is
not the rule, as only 24.9 percent of the projects were not delayed.
Another 33 percent did not deliver as promised until the end of the sam-
ple period. The projects with a delay (126 projects or 33 percent) deliv-
ered on average 2.4 months later.7

These figures provide some evidence on the performance problems in
reward-based crowdfunding. However, the reasons underlying these
problems can be manifold and range from intentionally deceiving inves-
tors to slipping into such deception, or even a mixture of both.8 Fraud is
only one possible explanation. If a project grants a refund, technical
problems are more likely to explain non-delivery than fraud. If an indi-
vidual stops responding, it could well be that “he ran away with the
money.” This happens in 2.9 percent of the cases in the sample. It is
important to bear in mind that these projects operate under greater
uncertainty than traditional sales, as products have not been produced at
the point in time when they are sold. As a result, Mollick (2014) finds
that delays are more likely if products are promised as compared to giveaways.
The other factors increasing the risk of a delay are the size of
the project and the degree of overfunding. These findings may provide
some indication that performance problems increase with the complexity
of the project as the latter results in uncertain outcomes.
Alternatively, one could look at fraud directly. The challenge here is
that fraud—in contrast to delivery—is not readily observable. Cumming
et al. (2016) search for fraud cases for projects on the two most popular
platforms (Kickstarter and Indiegogo) in nine countries during the period
2010–2015. They not only collect data from the websites of the two plat-
forms but complement it by searching for fraud cases themselves. They
find only 207 fraud cases (which corresponds to a rate of 0.01 percent).
The figures on fraud cases (0.01 percent) and non-deliveries (about 3
percent when deducting the refunds from the non-deliveries) could act as
lower and upper bounds for fraudulent behavior in reward-based crowd-
funding. As fraud is not readily observable, the fraud cases that this figure
is based on are only the tip of the iceberg (we will discuss the detection of
fraud cases below). By contrast, non-deliveries will exaggerate fraudulent
behavior because in an uncertain world non-fraudulent projects also fail.

Please don't report me for autism rating harvesting.

Harthwain

Magister
Either way, see my first position that there is no loss in just waiting for a game to come out.
This is true, but only if the game can come out without being kickstarted first.

About the Ruby pistol - I played the game again (this time on standard difficulty) and tried upgrading the pistol. I have to say it gets pretty good when you fully buff its power: on max it can hit enemies like the rifle, while allowing you to fire fast and ammo is plentiful even without crafting it.

Also, it seems that the stagger effect depends on weapon's power, because at 1 [damage, I suppose] pistol wasn't stopping anyone, while at 2 each opponent hit needed a second to regain composure. Then again, the latter could be because of the difficulty level, not me upgrading the pistol.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I find this p surprising... This type of horror game has been out of fashion for a while but they were the shit in the late 90s and early to mid 00s. And not only on consoles, a number of RE and Silent Hill games were on PC not to mention their various imitators.
You are right. I'm at a disadvantage. The closest I've ever come to a Resident Evil game is Alone in the Dark, as sad as that sounds. I think I have a few in Steam - from a sale. RE 4, RE 6, and Resident Evil Revelations and Resident Evil Revelations 2. Recommendation? (Eh, I'll assume I should start with the original, but I'll defer to your judgement.)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

When you are too pissed to die.

fork

You are right. I'm at a disadvantage. The closest I've ever come to a Resident Evil game is Alone in the Dark, as sad as that sounds. I think I have a few in Steam - from a sale. RE 4, RE 6, and Resident Evil Revelations and Resident Evil Revelations 2. Recommendation? (Eh, I'll assume I should start with the original, but I'll defer to your judgement.)

Recommendation:
Play none of the ones you mentioned. If you want to know what RE is, play the original (not REmake, you can play that later) and then continue chronologically if you liked it. Stop before RE4.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Another saga worth looking at is Parasite Eve, on the PSX. Not as scary, but story and ambientation were cooler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom