Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So is combat reflexes a useless feat? I've been putting it in all my melee builds and I noticed today after more than 1000 hours in the game that it isn't actually functioning like I thought it did. So I reread the description "You may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity per round equal to your Dexterity bonus. With this feat, you may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed." "May." Mother fuckers. I swear these rules were written by Jew lawyers. So you don't actually get extra attacks of opportunity. It just lets if do that if, theoretically 5 guys ran past you or you tripped and feared someone at the same time and they got up and ran away. As in shit that basically never happens so it's the single worst feat in the game. Right?

Yosharian

Arcane
So is combat reflexes a useless feat? I've been putting it in all my melee builds and I noticed today after more than 1000 hours in the game that it isn't actually functioning like I thought it did. So I reread the description "You may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity per round equal to your Dexterity bonus. With this feat, you may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed." "May." Mother fuckers. I swear these rules were written by Jew lawyers. So you don't actually get extra attacks of opportunity. It just lets if do that if, theoretically 5 guys ran past you or you tripped and feared someone at the same time and they got up and ran away. As in shit that basically never happens so it's the single worst feat in the game. Right?
Do you understand what the feat 'outflank' does?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Do you understand what the feat 'outflank' does?

I think so. I don't want to claim I understand anything anymore. But I believe it triggers an attack of opportunity from adjacent characters who also have the feat, when you crit. It's one I take on every front liner when I main an inquisitor. I like it. One thing I don't understand about outflank is why one time, when I was fighting the Scythe tree, Lematte critted with his rapier and the 10 or so summoned skeletons all did attacks of opportunity. They don't have the feat. Or is it because Harrim did? That made me question my understanding of outflank and wonder how I could replicate that. I wish I had taken a screenshot.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You probably Tripped the Tree. Or they got the AoOs from the Inquisitor's Solo Tactics. I think Outflank gives them out and Seize gives them to you? Advanced Rogue Talent Oppostunist triggers on damage not just crit.

As for Combat Reflexes they're good on Divine Guardian obviously but also yeah there are ways (see: Thug) to make shit run around and if you're Enlarged with Reach you can smack them all. This is why Lann in Wrath (who starts with Reflexes) is so good with Greater Snap Shot. It's like permanent Overwatch.

Bottom Line: your general sense is correct, Reflexes is not as high of a priority as most people make it. Ever Ready in Wrath gievs atk/damage bonuses on AoOs so largely obsoletes it.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
You probably Tripped the Tree.

Nah. It was Lemattes turn, not the tree's. He attacked and everything just went nuts. All the skeletons, the leopard and the frontliners all attacked and the tree died. It was glorious. I read over the log to check what had happened because I couldn't understand it. I tried to do the same thing to Crag Linnorn and nearly died doing it (much better to just let Jubilost and a cleric kill that one and leave melee fighters completely out of it except the final blow).

If it was an attack of opportunity from standing up that would make sense. This was on a previous run, as a Sacred Hunstmaster. I don't think the class should make a difference except that the leopard had his teamwork feats too. Everyone did but the skeletons are summons so shouldn't have been effected.

I spent the 10k to respec without combat reflexes. Shuffled some things around and took weapon specialization instead. It's not a very exciting feat but +2 damage is still more damage.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yep. Multiple AoOs in a round never happen. Definately useless.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You probably Tripped the Tree.

Nah. It was Lemattes turn, not the tree's. He attacked and everything just went nuts. All the skeletons, the leopard and the frontliners all attacked and the tree died. It was glorious. I read over the log to check what had happened because I couldn't understand it. I tried to do the same thing to Crag Linnorn and nearly died doing it (much better to just let Jubilost and a cleric kill that one and leave melee fighters completely out of it except the final blow).

If it was an attack of opportunity from standing up that would make sense. This was on a previous run, as a Sacred Hunstmaster. I don't think the class should make a difference except that the leopard had his teamwork feats too. Everyone did but the skeletons are summons so shouldn't have been effected.

I spent the 10k to respec without combat reflexes. Shuffled some things around and took weapon specialization instead. It's not a very exciting feat but +2 damage is still more damage.

Sounds like Tree tried to cast a spell/use a spell-like ability. Why would you take Specialization?

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Has someone tried the boots of stampede ? It says it adds the athletics skill value to charge attack damage throws, but for me it does add only 0-1 damage despite my character having 30+ athletics.

kalash19

Novice
Hi guys, i'm new to this franchise. I'm trying to create a Dex estoc dps build but i heard Dex to damage is a noob trap and bad when comparing to strength to damage. My build can only reach 12-25 damage with estoc +5, is this acceptable?

kalash19

Novice
Hi guys, i'm new to this franchise. I'm trying to create a Dex estoc dps build but i heard Dex to damage is a noob trap and bad when comparing to strength to damage. My build can only reach 12-25 damage with estoc +5, is this acceptable?

What is your build and what role do you want it to have?

a pure sword saint build (role: dps melee, support caster) . After a respec with bag of tricks mod, my estoc hit a little harder now (20-34).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

a pure sword saint build (role: dps melee, support caster) . After a respec with bag of tricks mod, my estoc hit a little harder now (20-34).

Your base dmg isn't as important as you think. You need to maximize your AAO (Outflank, Seize the Moment, trips) and critical range (Improved Critical or high critical range weapons).

Yosharian

Arcane
Do we have a good WOTR melee build?
I have a Legend build in progress on my Kingmaker page. It's a WIP though, at the moment there are a few items that either don't work or I don't know where they are. Also I need to redo the level order at some point. But anyway you can get the general idea

Yosharian

Arcane

Your base dmg isn't as important as you think. You need to maximize your AAO (Outflank, Seize the Moment, trips) and critical range (Improved Critical or high critical range weapons).
Outflank and StM do not stack

Yosharian

Arcane
DEX build can work in KM with the Bane of the Living Elven Curve Blade, I wouldn't recommend it in Wrath though because the meta favours STR more in that game.

I have builds for both games on my Kingmaker page (see sig)

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Outflank and StM do not stack

Yeah true but if you have a lot of ranged characters it can be helpful.

volklore

Arcane
Dex to damage is only a noob trap if you want to min-max as hell. The main reason people say that is that in kingmaker, even on higher difficulties, you do not need insanely high AC in the endgame and the extra AC you will get from high dex is small in comparison to what buff/gear give you. Dex to dmg also requires more feats (since you have to pick weapon finesse and Slashing/fencing grace) and is still less damage than STR. A Dex build will still do completely fine, but you might have to carry it a bit early game.

Yosharian

Arcane
> don't need insanely high AC

DEX build allows you to skip needing AC in other areas so it's not necessarily an automatic route to overkill

> in comparison to gear

You can give the best gear to your second tank, Pathfinder is a team game so it's not a waste if your MC doesn't need the best AC gear

> requires more feats

Not if the route you are taking with classes leads you to getting those feats/abilities for free.

> Less damage than STR

Not as much difference as you might think

> Have to carry it early game

It's the opposite, DEX builds have a much better AC progression than STR builds so they need less babysitting early game

Yosharian

Arcane
If you build correctly DEX isn't a noob trap at all, on any difficulty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom