Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This shows the softcap numbers:

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/AI_Storytellers

This changes the softcap:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726096646&searchtext=Double+Population

Looks like the storytellers will fuck up your day if you get in the critical range. I didn't ever notice this, probably because I almost always play on Randy. I'm starting a game on Sara Spacer (from Save Our Ship 2.0), so I'm looking forward to seeing what her values are in this regard. I guess I could go into the mod files. Also looking forward to how she doesn't use the wealth of your colony to determine enemy invasions but focuses on your tech level instead.
Thanks for the links, I'll install the mod for sure.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Just installed a bunch of mods, mostly enhancing the AI like PUAH, Allow Tool, Quality builder, Dynamic population (allows you to set your desired population).
Do you guys have any must have mods?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Just installed a bunch of mods, mostly enhancing the AI like PUAH, Allow Tool, Quality builder, Dynamic population (allows you to set your desired population).
Do you guys have any must have mods?
RimHUD
Better Workbench Management
Bulk Stonecutting
Pick Up And Haul
Flickable Storage
Assign Animal Food
Injured Carry
New Limbs Needs Training
Categorized Crafting Bills
Smarter Deconstruction and Mining
Advanced Powergeneration
Simple Stockpile Presets (Continued) - absolute must because I tend to run a lot of tries
Smarter Construction
Forced March
Where is my weapon?
Color Coded Mood Bar
Dubs Break Mod
Common Sense
Smart Speed
Blueprints
Dubs Mint Menus
Auto-Cut Blight
Wall Light
Share The Load
Medical Tab

Those are essentials, dealing with UI problems as I find mods like androids absolutely gamebreaking. Yet now I cannot imagine playing without, for example, autocut blisght or Smart Speed.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Those are all excellent. It's shocking that something like share the load, or injured carry isn't part of vanilla behavior.

Johannes

Arcane
This thread is surprisingly dead, isn't anyone playing ideology?
Last time I've played I've almost finished developing my space cowboys into a vault city. I had half a dozen buildings made from limestone and finished segregating pops into two stratas: citizens in uniforms colored according to their jobs and captives in rags slaving in the fields and on the frontline.
I found that I began to get bored of endless little raids that distracted me from building and roleplaying stuff... and anxiously looked at machine raids that began to occur more and more frequently. Because they would become even more of a distraction from the roleplaying, they would force me to turn the village into that retarded killbox fortress and because having robo zergs everywhere is stupid from world coherency point of view.
So the save had slowly died. It was even before the Nobility DLC. As far as I can see, the mechanics slowly move the game away from DF and in a direction of roguelike and don't find it that appealing in this case.
I don't understand, how is this a roguelike in any sense? What do you mean

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
This thread is surprisingly dead, isn't anyone playing ideology?
Last time I've played I've almost finished developing my space cowboys into a vault city. I had half a dozen buildings made from limestone and finished segregating pops into two stratas: citizens in uniforms colored according to their jobs and captives in rags slaving in the fields and on the frontline.
I found that I began to get bored of endless little raids that distracted me from building and roleplaying stuff... and anxiously looked at machine raids that began to occur more and more frequently. Because they would become even more of a distraction from the roleplaying, they would force me to turn the village into that retarded killbox fortress and because having robo zergs everywhere is stupid from world coherency point of view.
So the save had slowly died. It was even before the Nobility DLC. As far as I can see, the mechanics slowly move the game away from DF and in a direction of roguelike and don't find it that appealing in this case.
I don't understand, how is this a roguelike in any sense? What do you mean
I might've been unclear. I mean more "in the spirit of roguelike", i.e. characters are optimized around constant RNG-generated combat and the game revolves around it. In case of Rimworld, it's not a character but settlement, but still.

I'll have to elaborate.

Rimworld does have some economic mechanics, interpersonal ones (meeple relationships) and kinda maybe some diplomatic ones (faction relations, nobility quests). But they're comparatively irrelevant because there's a constant survival threat to the settlement in the form of RNG spawns. And you can't "play" with the scope of that threat. You can't pay protection money to raiders. You can't sell slaves (or rare earths or something) to tell machines to bugger off. The game throws aggro at you and the only way to interact with it is combat. And the structure of the settlement becomes subordinated to that constant aggro spawn.
I think I'm not the one with this impression, because players' behaviour in general also shows that something is wrong with that approach. Killboxes became a staple of the game to cope with the attacks. Why? Because players don't want to partake in the combat. They want to minimize it. Probably because combat in Rimworld isn't fun. It's not a proper squad-based tactical action. And it distracts from city building, meeple handling, etc.
What did devs do? They adjusted enemies in a way to combat killboxes. More blood for the blood god! They made the situation worse and continued doing so in each expansion. Instead of making combat initiation more controllable via development of diplo mechanics (so that combat oriented players could've promoted fighting, and economy oriented players could've evaded it) or making the combat more interesting (somehow) they made combat more prevalent.

Compare that to DF. It's comparatively easy to turtle up and kill all invaders with bridge pulverizers, lava levers, etc. If you want to, you send your dorfs to fight. If you don't want to, you spend your time building megabases. If you want to, you aggro neighbours, go exploring caves or promote tantrum spirals. The aggro level is partially controllable.

I'm not sure why Rimworld devs didn't go that way. I think they did what they did because Rimworld has only one vertical layer and the engine can't really support several bases. So the devs think they have to limit players' horizontal expansion via constant aggro. Or the game would "become boring".
In current state it probably would. There's nothing to do there but to prepare for another fight. Game has very little vertical development mechanics (complex crafting, logistics, proper diplo). It doesn't really have exploration, so complex questing isn't really available as well (like "combine the mcguffin out of N parts from Y regions and don't aggro the faerie queen too much in the process").

I've began playing Rimworld expecting something in the style of picaresque novel. Like Firefly or something. And got "it's always war" 40k-style instead. I did have some fun with it, but generally I don't like that kind of gameplay.

Edit: typos, sp.

Last edited:

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I experienced this myself. The biggest issue is the low population and random nature of combat. You'll probably have to send your worker to fight and there is no guarantee he won't have his limbs blown off, suffer a permanent injury or end up with multiple infections after combat ends. So combat is very risky and it's very hard to separate your fighting pops from your working pops.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The game throws aggro at you and the only way to interact with it is combat.

Maybe you should be playing The Sims instead.

Killboxes became a staple of the game to cope with the attacks. Why? Because players don't want to partake in the combat.

Ambushing the enemy, getting them into your killzone, and then setting off mines is what you do when you're in combat. I'm sorry if you didn't get any parental guidance on warfare, but this is how it works. So much of the criticism of Rimworld combat seems to revolve around it not being like comic books. Maybe play Marvel: Arkham Gandalf Edition if you want that.

It's not a proper squad-based tactical action.

No, actually getting a bunch of guys to take cover in one place where you've planted a mine is the definition of "proper squad-based tactical action".

Maybe Rimworld is more about people shooting at each other with guns and and blowing each other up with mines than a bunch of fantasy dwarf bullshit?

Johannes

Arcane
Rimworld combat is fine, downside is how much it incentivises just doing boring killbox style stuff instead of more dynamic, challenging things. Or maybe this has changed, and the raids are now more interesting. The survival aspect is what makes all the other mechanics relevant, that theres actual tradeoffs to consider and not just something to wank over.

More diplo options would be nice though, I'll give you that.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's pretty good now at throwing lots of different threats at you. There's guys who will set up mortars and shell you and psi-ships that force you to go out and attack them. And if you're doing too well, they start dropping into your base from the air. The first time that happened to me I nearly pissed my pants.

Killboxes became a staple of the game to cope with the attacks. Why? Because players don't want to partake in the combat.

Ambushing the enemy, getting them into your killzone, and then setting off mines is what you do when you're in combat. I'm sorry if you didn't get any parental guidance on warfare, but this is how it works. So much of the criticism of Rimworld combat seems to revolve around it not being like comic books. Maybe play Marvel: Arkham Gandalf Edition if you want that.

No, actually getting a bunch of guys to take cover in one place where you've planted a mine is the definition of "proper squad-based tactical action".

Maybe Rimworld is more about people shooting at each other with guns and and blowing each other up with mines than a bunch of fantasy dwarf bullshit?
Rimworld is marketed as a story generator.

Real warfare actually does not revolve around unlimited random squads charging fortified positions. Or soldiers clustering around land mines.

Rimworld unfortunately in practice is more about shooting each other with guns and blowing each other up, even though it's marketed more as a bunch of fantasy dwarf bullshit.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Was going to ask to this. Do we have any consensus about the Ideology DLC? I spent a little time reading Steam reviews but I can't figure out wtf it is or if it's good. And I'm not going back 10 goddamn pages in a codex thread to read every tangent.

Rimworld unfortunately in practice is more about shooting each other with guns and blowing each other up, even though it's marketed more as a bunch of fantasy dwarf bullshit.
You ...... might be thinking of another game?
Tynan calls it a story generator and says dwarf fortress is a huge inspiration. OK perhaps not the fantasy part, but it's not unreasonable that people think it's more about managing colonists needs and wants than about shooting unlimited pirates and robots.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Was going to ask to this. Do we have any consensus about the Ideology DLC? I spent a little time reading Steam reviews but I can't figure out wtf it is or if it's good. And I'm not going back 10 goddamn pages in a codex thread to read every tangent.
It's fantastic.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People think it's more about managing colonists needs and wants than about shooting unlimited pirates and robots.
RimWorld absolutely, 100% is more about colony building and needs management than combat, except for internet tough guy players who crank difficulty to maximum. I'm glad of course if you play in whatever way you find fun. I think your tune would change dramatically if you played on default settings.

People think it's more about managing colonists needs and wants than about shooting unlimited pirates and robots.
RimWorld absolutely, 100% is more about colony building and needs management than combat, except for internet tough guy players who crank difficulty to maximum. I'm glad of course if you play in whatever way you find fun. I think your tune would change dramatically if you played on default settings.
I was responding to Nutria .

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Hello everyone! I'm happy to announce a new update for RimWorld and all expansions.

The biosculpters got a focused redesign. Colonists can now automatically do their own age reversal, and initiating a biosculpting cycle takes 1 step instead of 3. There's also less incentive to do weird things like deconstruct and reconstruct the biosculpter. Overall the micromanagement burden should be much lower, especially for large colonies.

We also reworked caravan formation to make it faster and more fluid. The archonexus restart sequence got some love so it's clearer and better-tuned. Finally, there's also a bunch of smaller improvements - see the change list below.

This update was tested as compatible with all savegames and mods.

Thanks to everyone who helped test on the Official dev Discord server, to Matt Ritchie for running the unstable build update cycle, Nick Barrash for the biosculpter rework, and all our other devs for their contributions, and everyone who gave such rich feedback on Discord and on the RimWorld subreddit.

As always, don't hesitate to review Ideology on its Steam page!

Enjoy!
-Tynan

Biosculpter changes

- Transhumanism believers will now automatically take their yearly age reversal cycle if the new “Auto age reverse” toggle on biotuned biosculpter pods is enabled
- All cycles now take 5 nutrition, and nutrition must be loaded before a cycle is selected instead of after. Extra cycle ingredients (like glitterworld medicine) are collected and carried to the biosculpter by the pawn initiating the cycle.
- It now only requires a single player action to start a pawn on a biosculpter cycle (previously it took two separate actions and waiting for pawns to fill nutrition).
- Biosculpter pods glow green when nutrition is loaded and they’re ready for cycle selection.
- Biotuned biosculpter pods now run cycles 25% faster.
- Biotuning now happens after a cycle is completed instead of when a pawn enters the pod.
- Biosculpters consume 50W of power if no cycle is running, and 200W if a cycle is running, instead of consuming full power all the time.
- Biosculpters now take longer to minify.
- Age reversal demanded alert will fire 1 day after age reversal deadline (instead of 5 days before) if a pawn has a pod with Auto age reverse enabled. This reduces spam.
- Nutrition is liquified when added to a pod and is no longer ejected if a cycle is cancelled.
- If biosculpter loses power while occupied, we don't animate and we now show how long until eject in inspect string.
- Change pleasure cycle mood bonus from +10 to +15.
- Biotuning duration has been increased to 80 days from 60 days.
- Biosculpter deconstruct yield is down to 25% from 50%.
- Biosculpter construct cost increased from 3 to 4 components.
- Biosculpters don't heal missing eyes if the pawn's ideoligion approves of blindness.

Caravan improvements

- Change caravan packing spot to caravan hitching spot. It's still free, but it does more.
- Caravan hitching post now can be used to keep animals in place on temporary maps.
- Caravan pawns gathering items now haul items in their inventory to pack animals. This drastically speeds up caravan formation.
- Animals will eat and sleep within their rope area if they're roped to a spot.
- Added an alert that shows when hungry animals are tied to hitching posts.
- Allow caravan pawns to sleep in bed while packing, less dire hunger threshold before eat, and allow pawn to regain excited travel thought after draft.
- Change caravan hauling behavior to cancel enroute instead of waiting for arrival if ticks after first item pickup timeout exceeded.
- Added a positive thought when pawns have been preparing a caravan for a long time, to reduce pawns going insane from caravan prep.
- Joy decreases more slowly when a pawn is preparing a caravan.
- Colonists will now look for food in pack animal inventory if no better food sources available.
- Colonists will grab food from pack animal to feed patients if no other food available.
- Colonists can grab medicine from pack animals.
- Colonists will take drugs (if assigned or need) from pack animal inventory if no other sources are available.
- Update pen needed alert to take into account hitching post and handling skill for roping removal.
- Remove animal handling skill requirements for roping to pen.
- Save prepare caravan gather items toil tree to disk.

Archonexus improvements

- Add animal pregnancy, gender, and bonded information to archonexus settlement dialog.
- Sort items players take to new archonexus settlement more in line with usefulness.
- Update new archonexus settlement confirm dialog always show and warn if all items or relics not selected.
- Tweak count of items players can bring to new archonexus settlement.
- Change archonexus item selection such that weapons and utility belts are unequipped and must be explicitly chosen.
- Remove pawn hediffs like hypothermia and malnutrition upon new archonexus settlement.
- Swap thing icon and info icon in archonexus dialog.
- Reset pawn food and rest levels when starting new archonexus colony.
- Add animation after selecting new archonexus settlement to make moment feel more significant.

Misc improvements

- Ideoligious buildings are no longer expected to be placed in non-home maps.
- Display current and required total tend qualities in the tooltip for hediffs with HediffComp_TendDuration comp. (Muscle parasites, athsma, gut worms, etc...)
- Separated "Weapon" stat category into "Weapon (melee)" and "Weapon (ranged)".
- Pawn beauty stat is now visible even when the value is zero.
- Precept name length is now limited.
- Minor fixes to new colony optimism thought appliance when abandoning settlements or creating new ones.
- New colony optimism thought is now given to all colonists after the player settles a tile and he had no home map elsewhere and when player abandons his last home map. This makes relocating much more feasible, especially in emergencies.
- Reduced the amount of ancient junk that spawns on newly-generated maps.
- Blind pawns who venerate trees can now sense nearby trees and enjoy their presence even without sight.
- Reduce prevalence of breach raids at high points levels.
- Update predators hunting across fences tooltip to match current functionality.
- Ensure the trigger conditions for scarification/blinding are clear to the player.
- Right clicking on ancient junk with drafted pawn shows option to attack.
- Unforbid items in pawn inventory if taken by caravan from temporary map.
- Animals with paralytic abasia can be tamed or hunted without penalty after a animal hospitatlity quest ends. Hospitality joiners and prisoners can now arrived paralyzed as well.
- Added range values to darkness combat stats.
- Added charity events for not helping pilgrims.
- Added hacking progress stat to hackable things.
- Resurrected pawns with titles that were inherited lose all permits associated with the lost titles.
- Provide a config error if def label contains '[', ']', '{', or '}' characters. Added a flag to hide this error.
- Clarify age reversal precept.
- Updated player-created names.

Fixes

- Fix: New colony optimism thoughts are not applied correctly.
- Fix: Gastro-analyzer can be removed by biosculpter.
- Fix: Caravan stuck indefinitely if animal in pen added while caravan pawns moving to exit map
- Fix: Clicking ideo icon on some dialogs uslessly opens copy of same dialog.
- Fix: Royal ascent shuttle can only take 1000kg of colonists.
- Fix: Skip psycast can cause duplication bugs.
- Fix: "Melee warmup time" is actually ranged warmup time. Melee weapons use only cooldown.
- Fix: PainIsVirtue meme doesn't guarantee the presence of scarification precept.
- Fix: Error on reloading a save with bombardment/salvo spawned on the same tick as save.
- Fix: Multiple instances of minified item dont show correctly in to load part of caravan tab.
- Fix: Exception when pawn dies of malnutrition.
- Fix: Burned tree description states it doesn't drop wood when it does.
- Fix: Exception drawing pawn inspect pane/bio tab/other UI with null extra mini faction.
- Fix: Some ability translation keys are in Royalty but used elsewhere.
- Fix: Plants previously designated to be grown on buildings aren't cleared when a new plant is selected.
- Fix: Biosculpter nutrition not incremented if same food def added to pod before and after biosculpter update.
- Fix: numCase subsymbol doesn't work if source number is float.
- Fix: Typos.

Norfleet

There's guys who will set up mortars and shell you and psi-ships that force you to go out and attack them.
I had a strategy around this: I would take only psychically deaf colonists and then build a shrine around said psi-ship. Everyone who showed up to raid basically went instantly insane, greatly limiting the threat profile I was facing, since it was now impossible to besiege the base.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I never would have thought of that in a million years, but the fact that I could have done that if I was smart enough to is what I love about Rimworld.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
That means that land trade caravans are out of question as well. Anywaypsychic shits are among easiest to deal with IMO but I prefer to use teams of jumppacks with zeushammers and melee defenses. Overall mechanoids infuriate me the most beause their turrest outshoot any weapon I can bring on and you have no choice but tocheese your way to them. Common tactics like using walls and splash weapons are not that effective in a long run and it is often more effective to charge stright on with shields and zeushammers.

Alpharius

Scholar
Doesn't smoke disable turrets? They supposedly can't acquire targets in smoke or something. There is even a psi power that causes smoke i think so can be done even without smoke launcher\nades.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Smoke messes with accuracy but when ou have a line of miniguns\SMGs accuracy does not matter when there's a torrent of lead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom