Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL: Obsidian's Best RPG

Best Obsidian RPG?

• KOTOR 2

Votes: 44 15.7%
  • NWN 2 (w/o MotB)

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Alpha Protocol

Votes: 29 10.3%
  • New Vegas

Votes: 145 51.6%
  • Dungeon Siege 3

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Stick of Truth

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 13 4.6%
  • Tyranny

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Pillars 2

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Outer Worlds

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Obsidian was at its best in Fallout: New Vegas because it was able to use another company's game engine (Bethesda's Morrowind engine as modified for Oblivion and then Fallout 3, with slight additional changes) as well as the Fallout setting as defined in the original two games and then further expanded with ideas from later projects that never came to fruition but that could be re-purposed for New Vegas. However, the company has repeatedly proven itself incapable of creating its own well-designed game engines or its own well-designed settings. Over the last 18 years, Obsidian has been a vast sink of talent, wasting abilities that could have been put to better use at other companies, or even freelance.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Enjoyed Tyranny the most, even though it is hobbled by a game-breaking bug that wouldn't let me complete it. Oh well...

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Now, we all know that Obsidian is absolute shit and literally the worst company on earth that produces nothing but garbage. But which is the best pile of garbage?

For me it's New Vegas, no contest. It is also Obsidian's ONLY good game without whens and buts. I know a lot got cut but unlike every other rushed Obsidian product, it doesn't really matter with NV. What's here is very good one way or another, and the bugs at release no longer matter since they've been fixed mostly. Tyranny would be a far second, even though only the first act is any good and the conquest system is the only original thing about that game. If MotB was a standalone I would list it here and declare it as Obsidian's second good game but seeing as it isn't, it doesn't count.

I dont see how you can say MotB doesnt count, its an expansion and an example of the potential of Obsidian development . So if objectively you want to know what Obsidian products gamers enjoy you cant be selective if you want accurate polling data ?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I can't rate them like that since some are postapo, some fantasy, modern, Tyranny has it's own flavour. Then I can't say this one is better than other if one is first person and other is isometric.
My personal favorite is Pillars 1 since I played it the most of it and like it the most.

Tyranny is the most unique one. It's such a shame it didn't get the big budget like Pillars.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
For some reason I have a feeling who voted for Outer Worlds...

Screenshot-3974.jpg

Humbaba

Arcane
Votes New Vegas.

Why isn't MotB in the poll tho?
And why isn't PoE2?

I guess some Codexers would vote MotB if it were in.
And maybe there's people who prefer PoE2 to the first game.

Ffs Frank you never read.

You never played MotB, did you?

What gave you that idea Sherlock

Storm of Zehir and Mask of the Betrayer should be their own items on here. How the hell are you going to leave those out?

Because if I didn't, I would have to list every other expansion/DLC for every other game as well.

I dont see how you can say MotB doesnt count, its an expansion and an example of the potential of Obsidian development . So if objectively you want to know what Obsidian products gamers enjoy you cant be selective if you want accurate polling data ?

See the above.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Deadfire since it has the best combat and isn't based on someone else's work.

Bonus: Alpha Protocol never played anything so bad and still had fun.

Though modded FNV is the best RPG ever.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Deadfire since it's it has the best combat and isn't based on someome elese's work.

Bonus: Alpha Protocol never played anything so bad and still had fun.

Though modded FNV is the best RPG ever.

QFT, I used the full 254 Mods for F:NV and that included some lore friendly adult mods and it made the game absolutely enthralling .....not my best RPG ever but definitely top 10

Codex Year of the Donut
who wants to join me in the "didn't think new vegas was all that amazing" club?

Im summary what are the things you didnt like about F:NV. Before I join your club I just want to ensure we all agree on the clubs manifesto :cool:
terrible combat
everyone looks like an oblivion character
animations are terrible
lonesome road
caesar's path is shallow and unrewarding in a game that gets lauded for choice(as long as you choose the thing everyone else does)
the game heavily pushes you towards NCR, and while there are some anti-NCR nods, they feel like they were just added in afterwards to throw non-NCR characters a bone
boomers/kings are dumb
lots of empty space with nothing for the sake of it existing, yet at the same time it feels too small.
fast travel is gay
companions never interact with each other or acknowledge each other in general
etc

I don't think it's bad, I just refuse to position myself in the "one of the greatest RPGs ever made" camp. It's amusing when the same people refuse to understand why someone would like Fallout 3(I like it even less than FNV) when all they have to do is lower their standards just a tad more. They'll shit on Fallout 3 for its alien DLC and Fallout 4 for the ghoul in a fridge then clap like a retarded seal at FNV's quest where you try to send ghouls to the moon in a rocket.
people overlook half of the game and say "yes, this is a masterpiece", most criticisms of it are met with a "if only they had more time" or "if only it didn't use gamebryo" as if they're judging a game that exists only in their mind rather than the product we got

at least fans of the other 3d fallouts admit they're shit/mediocre but they have fun anyways, fnv fans treat it like a piece of high literature

Stoned Ape

Savant
Out of that list, I enjoyed FO:NV the most, but I think KOTOR2 would have been the best if it were properly finished. I remember the final planet being an unfinished mess and feeling like big parts of the closing section of the story were missing.

Dorateen

Arcane
Storm of Zehir

At the time, I had high hopes that Obsidan might shed the guise of being bioware-lite. Evans and Chapman seemed to have their heads on straight. Alas, afterward, Obsidian dropped the ball.

Trashos

Arcane
caesar's path is shallow and unrewarding in a game that gets lauded for choice(as long as you choose the thing everyone else does)
the game heavily pushes you towards NCR, and while there are some anti-NCR nods, they feel like they were just added in afterwards to throw non-NCR characters a bone

Even if the Caesar route is mostly shallow because it was rushed, it is just one of your 4 options.
The anti-NCR nods do not look tacked on to me. The NCR is a good ol' grey faction like Obsidian at their best could do.

TwoEdge

Scholar

Ah, Feargus' ethos of "design the paladin playthrough first, everything else second" rearing its ugly head. Metrics are a curse.

Humbaba

Arcane
terrible combat
everyone looks like an oblivion character
animations are terrible
lonesome road
boomers/kings are dumb
lots of empty space with nothing for the sake of it existing, yet at the same time it feels too small.
fast travel is gay
etc

I don't think it's bad, I just refuse to position myself in the "one of the greatest RPGs ever made" camp. It's amusing when the same people refuse to understand why someone would like Fallout 3(I like it even less than FNV) when all they have to do is lower their standards just a tad more. They'll shit on Fallout 3 for its alien DLC and Fallout 4 for the ghoul in a fridge then clap like a retarded seal at FNV's quest where you try to send ghouls to the moon in a rocket.
people overlook half of the game and say "yes, this is a masterpiece", most criticisms of it are met with a "if only they had more time" or "if only it didn't use gamebryo" as if they're judging a game that exists only in their mind rather than the product we got

at least fans of the other 3d fallouts admit they're shit/mediocre but they have fun anyways, fnv fans treat it like a piece of high literature

Terrible Combat

Terrible is a bit harsh but yeah it's not very deep. I give it a pass because you can literally punch people's heads off with your bare hands and I can't do that in too many other games.

Lonesome Road

Agreed, I don't like any of the DLC's either.

I don't follow. What was it exactly that you didn't like about the Legion path?

No, that's not true at all. Throughout the game you exclusively hear about how shit and incompetent the NCR are and how the only people who like it do so despite it's glaring shortcomings and merely because they represent le epic liberal democracy. Never once is the NCR presented as the "correct" choice.

boomers/kings are dumb

Kings yeah but the Boomers are based af. They are heavily armed, live in a secure and comparatively comfortable location and have achieved autarky. Not to mention the sheer DRIP of their clothing. How can you hate them?

fast travel is gay

Would you really prefer just backtracking for 20 minutes?

Yeah that's true. Doesn't help that the there is only 1 based companion.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Voted the second option (NWN2) because Mask of the Betrayer is the best they made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom