Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Longes

Augur
Starting deity will be a tough choice though. Well, since paladin/cleric of Ragathiel is not an option...
Probably been mentioned a lot of times but: There's a decent amount of reactivity based on your god. But like the mythic paths, how much reactivity is highly variable. It's still a very nice touch though.

The absolute worst deities to choose are Gyronna and Asmodeus. Gyronna has exactly two interactions in the entire game:
One is cursing Hulrun for burning Ember, and one is auto-resolving a quest in Chilly Creak.
Asmodeus is arguably worse because he never chimes in with tips like the other gods, and Asmodean dialogue choices amount to bitching about Godclaw and talking shit to Nurah.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Starting deity will be a tough choice though. Well, since paladin/cleric of Ragathiel is not an option...
Probably been mentioned a lot of times but: There's a decent amount of reactivity based on your god. But like the mythic paths, how much reactivity is highly variable. It's still a very nice touch though.

The absolute worst deities to choose are Gyronna and Asmodeus. Gyronna has exactly two interactions in the entire game:

Asmodeus is arguably worse because he never chimes in with tips like the other gods, and Asmodean dialogue choices amount to bitching about Godclaw and talking shit to Nurah.
Reactivity exists, huh.

Minecrawler

Educated
I am fine with Camelia's writing overall Show Spoiler Both the 'how far can you simp her?' line as a good character and as a NE/CE option where you'd go along everything
I actually kind of like her crazy quips/Battlecrys (The world in crimson!), they are more fun than most other companions. CE characters tend to be so not evil when you get them in your party (i.e Regongar was classified as CE, but he was a total bro and not really evil). At least she's really, really evil.
I liked her too. One of the reasons being specifically the fact that you can lose her and are even encouraged to do so. Makes character much more valuable.
She could be more nuanced, CE doesn't have to be one-dimensional. I expected darker version of Raskolnikov, but whatever, it works as it is.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I actually kind of like her crazy quips/Battlecrys (The world in crimson!), they are more fun than most other companions. CE characters tend to be so not evil when you get them in your party (i.e Regongar was classified as CE, but he was a total bro and not really evil). At least she's really, really evil.
Camellia is probably my least favorite companion in the Wrath's cast but I still find her a quite curious social experiment - her whole meta-schtick is how far the boys from Steam and other boards could go while rabidly white-knighting for the nice pair of tits, even when said pair attached to the irredeemably evil murder-psycho. Really, her writer was not even trying to give her semi-decent excuse like "difficult past/childhood", and it is very noticeable when you compare her to more reasonably-evil Wenduag who had got a lot of interesting interactions and at least some personality outside from her blatant evilness.

Longes

Augur
I appreciate the fact that Camellia is no criminal mastermind. Her whole schtick is that she has powerful patrons (first Gwerm, then you) who'll cover-up for her so she can just do her killing. Camellia's cover is transparent because she never actually needs cover - she's untouchable through corruption.

Kind of refreshing.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I came around to liking Woljif in the end. He's roughly on-par with one of the quirkier BG I companions, his scoundrel schtick is a decent counterbalance to the holy obliviousness of Seelah, Sosiel and Ember in a similar way to Regill.

And like Regill, his DPS output is hilarious. Losing him at Drezen felt like losing a limb.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I had a similar problem when Aru left and Seelah and Sosiel died (especially since they take all their equipment with them). That was the first time I had to respec other companions to make up the deficit.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I appreciate the fact that Camellia is no criminal mastermind. Her whole schtick is that she has powerful patrons (first Gwerm, then you) who'll cover-up for her so she can just do her killing. Camellia's cover is transparent because she never actually needs cover - she's untouchable through corruption.

Kind of refreshing.

I guess is just one of those moments where just not doing a redemption is just better because that what you expect from most game in the genre.
Sometimes just having this crazy manic killer that only doesn't kill you because she's too much in love with your dick , quite refreshing.

Wenduag has the possibility of becoming more gentle and even going from NE to TN if you romance her but honestly, i preffer her as this crazy bitch that hate most uplanders , so i didn't.

Longes

Augur
I wasn't much impressed with the game's ability to suspend the player's disbelief in Acts 1 and 2, to put it mildly. But the beginning of Act 3 has shown me that I hadn't seen anything yet :

- I'm in my council room, doing commander shit, when a devil named Mephis... Melies shows up.

- He offers help in exchange for the souls of my soldiers. Which I guess makes sense, as devils hate demons and are interested in mortal souls. Still, shouldn't the other people in my council room react to such an entrance and such an offer ?

- Nope !

- I forbid him from taking the souls of my soldiers. He's not deterred and decides to stay right there in my council room. I can't do or say anything about that.

- And now, everytime I enter my council room, there's an 18-foot tall devil with bright red skin, huge horns and six wings (two of which are on fire) who's standing three feet away from my chair.

- And nobody has anything to say about that. Fucking Mephistopheles is standing right there and neither Regill, nor Anevia, nor Irabeth has a single of text to acknowledge the fact that his presence is, perhaps, a little bit disquieting.
You can ask Melies about that and he tells you that both him and his troops are disguised with magic. So other people in your council room straight up do not see him as a giant burning devil.

volklore

Arcane
The game told me I failed to embody the azata even though I followed Early <totally a real azata, I swear> Sunset's advice to the letter. This guy has literally advised me to do lawful and evil things throughout. Pretty funny how Aivu never really mentions how strange Early Sunset is for an azata who's supposed to be a cosmic expression of freedom and rainbows.

Longes

Augur
The game told me I failed to embody the azata even though I followed Early <totally a real azata, I swear> Sunset's advice to the letter. This guy has literally advised me to do lawful and evil things throughout. Pretty funny how Aivu never really mentions how strange Early Sunset is for an azata who's supposed to be a cosmic expression of freedom and rainbows.
A literal infant is probably the only person Early Sunset might plausibly fool.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So for anyone interested - this is what I meant 10 or so pages ago.

364f86f553.jpg
As depicted above, the stairs look like they are 3D, while in fact they are not. It is impossible to go underneath.

The same was true in the 90's when the DOOM engine had the same limitations, and only the development of Quake brought true 3D - when a point on the bridge and right under the bridge became both accessible.

So in the mounted combat the rider and the mount are located at (roughly) the same point in 2D space, but their elevations are different. What if the game plays the same trick: it looks like the rider and the mount are separate attackers, while in fact they are not? Or, even worse: what if their attacks have different 2D coordinates instead of having the same? So the rider looks together with the mount, while in fact they attack different points on the flat surface?

I think it might lead to the whole bunch of bugs, which are not bugs, but the difference between the expectations from the picture and the limitations of the engine.

Longes

Augur
So for anyone interested - this is what I meant 10 or so pages ago.

364f86f553.jpg
As depicted above, the stairs look like they are 3D, while in fact they are not. It is impossible to go underneath.

The same was true in the 90's when the DOOM engine had the same limitations, and only the development of Quake brought true 3D - when a point on the bridge and right under the bridge became both accessible.

So in the mounted combat the rider and the mount are located at (roughly) the same point in 2D space, but their elevations are different. What if the game plays the same trick: it looks like the rider and the mount are separate attackers, while in fact they are not? Or, even worse: what if their attacks have different 2D coordinates instead of having the same? So the rider looks together with the mount, while in fact they attack different points on the flat surface?

I think it might lead to the whole bunch of bugs, which are not bugs, but the difference between the expectations from the picture and the limitations of the engine.
I still have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. It could be impossible to go under the stairs because the stairs are actually a transparent cube with "stairs" located inside the cube, and a pathing map painted over the part that is actually the stairs.

volklore

Arcane
A literal infant is probably the only person Early Sunset might plausibly fool.
And yet no one is your court of desna hippies mentions how strange any of ES's suggestions are. For people who litterally worship azatas and Elysium gods, that's a bit weird. Granted I followed his advice because I thought a character who was kinda given azata powers randomly would be pretty influenceable especially when faced with the responsibility of a crusade. It actually make the whole path more interesting this way.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Really, her writer was not even trying to give her semi-decent excuse like "difficult past/childhood"
Technically, she does, you just don't get to find out about it until the very end of her questline - and most people will have killed her off by then, or accepted any atrocities without knowing about it. So in that sense, it's still a nice social experiment or rather showcases the willingness of people to simp for someone who simply doesn't deserve any kindness towards her. But shes portrayed as a "gorgeous" woman (straight woman, at that) so people simp for her regardless of her lack of redeeming qualities.

She was tortured and abused as a kid, so her being fucked up kind of makes sense. She was already exhibiting psychopathic behavior as a child, killing animals and such, but things certainly won't get better if your father locks you into your room, bars on the window, and whenever he leaves the house you get tortured by your "mentor"/"doctor".
Most people assume the torture devices in the Gwerm mansion to be hers, but that's not her room, it's her old mentors.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

One is cursing Hulrun for burning Ember, and one is auto-resolving a quest in Chilly Creak.
I picked urgathoa as a lich, and aside from lots of "a moth appears as a clear sign that you are pleasing urgathoa" there's been any reactivity.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I picked urgathoa as a lich, and aside from lots of "a moth appears as a clear sign that you are pleasing urgathoa" there's been any reactivity.
There is some here and there. Like the priests of Urgathoa that join you praise you for it. I think I saw some others do as well. But if you mean if there were any quests to solve of specific content, yea I have not seen that as well.

Minecrawler

Educated
Technically, she does, you just don't get to find out about it until the very end of her questline - and most people will have killed her off by then, or accepted any atrocities without knowing about it. So in that sense, it's still a nice social experiment or rather showcases the willingness of people to simp for someone who simply doesn't deserve any kindness towards her. But shes portrayed as a "gorgeous" woman (straight woman, at that) so people simp for her regardless of her lack of redeeming qualities.
Should we consider the fact that she is the only straight option for male characters a part of said social experiment?
Like, you don't have to court a maniac for a year and a half. See, Daeran got some roses for you because you accidentally coughed on him.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Should we consider the fact that she is the only straight option for male characters a part of said social experiment?
Like, you don't have to court a maniac for a year and a half. See, Daeran got some roses for you because you accidentally coughed on him.
Paladin chick is not straight?

Minecrawler

Educated
Barbarian chick in last game was also not romanceable, is this because they are iconic PF characters?!
I mean, Amiri doesn't like men in general, and Seelah spends life fangirling over stronk female knights.
It's kinda logical.
But yeah, Paizo's iconic getting a husband... A shame trickster can't pull off this kind of stuff.

Delterius

Arcane
Dude... why is it that every single fucking advisor that I have is a complete grass-eating cow compared to Regill? How have these people not gone extinct by this point?

Wow... !
I don't know if the game's writing does this, but I remember certain discussions of the AP online that had this interesting little metaplot about why exactly the Crusaders are such failures and it's all due to Baphomet. Iomedae's Church and their way of thinking was a good match for Deskari. The demon lord is aggressive and brutal, but a straightfoward opponent. And the knights that serve Iomedae do just that, fight straightforward battles. The Crusades were successful as long as both sides were the same.

However the addition of Baphomet didn't just change the way the demons fight, it added a long term factor of Baphomet's Cult assassinating everyone who was a threat. If they could see through the demon's machinations, they die. If they are moronic zealots like Hulrun they get to live and be bamboozled for the rest of their lives. Add in the century long stagnation of the conflict, plus the rise of a comfortable aristocracy in Mendev and you have Baphomet slowly pruning the Crusade's blades into being brittle as glass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom